Tahith Chong | Signed a new deal until 2022

wolvored

Not overwhelmed about this. He is way too erratic to sum up if there is a good player there or not. He definitely needs a season at least out on loan. Send him somewhere like the Villa in the championship next season. A team that will probably be around the top of the league and will be a good standard to judge him by.

sp_107

I go with Ole's judgement here as it is evident he got an eye for good talent. He might have seen something in training that could be seen by everyone in few years. Anyways we are not losing much here even he turns out average.

Ekeke

I doubt anyone at Inter has even heard of this guy. Chong's agent doing good work for his client.
He had his best first team match against them in pre-season where he skinned their regular rightback. They know him and probably would want him on a free, but he doesn't suit the system they are playing so I doubt they'll cry about it if they dont get him

Grande

I’m delighted by the news. I know players come through at different speeds, I know Tahit has shown promise at previous stages, I’m confident we won’t lose money on this either way, and I like it when we go with our better youths and they go with us.

williams, Garner, Laird, Gomes and Chong is a talented batch, and I’m sure keeping most of them on for their toddler years will improve the chances of one or two of them going all the way.

evil_geko

Glad he is staying, lots of people on here are too fast to let him go, you can't judge his performances when whole team was lacking in confidence, he is much better than that.

The Irish Connection

I’ve actually seen signs that he might be able to make the step up in the last few games he played. I think a loan would do him good. Could be a good bench option for the right wing eventually.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Makes sense as to why he's been getting more game time then. I don't doubt his renewal will be getting mixed reviews but I'm pleased, he's a talented kid and there's a good player in there. His performances for the second string have remained consistently good throughout his time here, he always gives his all on the pitch so for me his attitude has never been in question. I'm going to go on record as saying I think he'll do well here, his physique needs work though or else he'll be bullied by PL defenders.
I agree and think he'll develop into a very good player.

Bondi77

Two year deal.
Send him on loan to Championship next season and if he does well send him to newly promoted side the following season and if he continues progress then we activate clause and he plays with us in the last season and we see how he does by Christmas.

cyril C

I go with Ole's judgement here as it is evident he got an eye for good talent. He might have seen something in training that could be seen by everyone in few years. Anyways we are not losing much here even he turns out average.
If I remember (what the press said) correctly, Chong is pretty good at Academy games, playmaker kind of game changer, but completely flop at senior level. So at 30K it is inexpensive in keeping him for 2-3 more seasons, loan will do him good.

Marcus

With Italy in lockdown and no certainty as to when Serie A will resume, this was not a difficult choice to make actually.

ricky-romeo

he needs a loan move.

if it is true he rejected Inter because they want to loan him out then he must realize that he is not getting 25 starts at United next year. move to the championship for a year, add a few kilos of muscle in the gym and let's see how well you can do. the same applies to Gomes and hopefully he will sign soon as well.

Devil may care

Hmmm, wasn't expecting that and wasn't bothered either way, there's been the odd flash there but nothing that has really made me think he has enough to make at United, but it's a short deal that gives him and us room to see how things develop, off to add him to my starting line up for Thursday. :D

Tony247

gilmour developed mostly with rangers, Chelsea were just the ones who got his signature.

good players stand out straight away almost all the time, or even offer flashes of brilliance at that age. Chong really hasn’t done anything of note during his time in the park in meaningful games. I expect his career to be similar to fosu mensah in the interim, but of course happy to be proved wrong
Yeh, Gilmour is two years younger and has shown great potential. I was watching him against everton and they could not dispossessed him, not even once. His sense of positioning was perfect. Too much maturity at that age.

Chong on the other hand has not shown much potential. But some players come to footballing maturity in early to mid twenties. So better he goes on a loan where he gets regular first team exposure and test himself. I don't see any point him hanging around united first team only to see himself doing occassional appearance.

Tony247

he needs a loan move.

if it is true he rejected Inter because they want to loan him out then he must realize that he is not getting 25 starts at United next year. move to the championship for a year, add a few kilos of muscle in the gym and let's see how well you can do. the same applies to Gomes and hopefully he will sign soon as well.
I personally do not see chong's frame is much of an issue. I suspect he fall over or gets dispossessed due to lack of ball control in tight situations or someone pressing on him.

The Red Thinker

I'm not the biggest proponent of Chong. In fact, I think he's overrated by prospective clubs. Haven't seen anything of not apart from glimpses in the Europa League. BUT... I effing love the fact that Ole didn't give up on Chong. He genuinely wants to improve him and give him a go where Chong has found his feet and is able to express himself in the league. Why not? The boy is talented, we know this. Big clubs across Europe wanted him, because their scouts believe that there's more to come. Chong is not ready. But Ole trying to get him there makes me happy.

Jules_T

Nicky Butt and Ole think he's a baller. Let's give him a chance.
Surely this is the point. Two experienced professionals see him day in day out and they can see his potential.

All the "experts" on the Caf can have their opinions but we should trust our team to make the right choice.

Betting half a mill on a maybe is a fair investment. Ultimately that's what having a youth system is all about.

If they didn't think it was worth it they would have let him go. There are no guarantees.

Tarrou

if ever a player needed a damn good loan, it's this lad

I don't see him gaining the experience and confidence he needs to progress being a bit part player for us

I'm glad he's signed though

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Was robbed of a full year of development when he tore his ACL. I imagine by this time next year he will be doing very well development wise.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
30k for a youth player who hasn’t showing any thing so far. No wonder our wage bill is so high .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are losing 30k per week, that’s 1.6m per year, and 6.4m if it’s 4 year contract. That’s not much in grand scheme of things, but still lots of money for average bloke like me.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not to bothered about losing him. He's not good enough.

MadMike

We are losing 30k per week, that’s 1.6m per year, and 6.4m if it’s 4 year contract. That’s not much in grand scheme of things, but still lots of money for average bloke like me.
Holy shit, is that how much he earns? You know football has too much money floating around when youth products with no input in the first team are already millionaires.

Gerald G

Holy shit, is that how much he earns? You know football has too much money floating around when youth products with no input in the first team are already millionaires.
We don't know how much he earns. This poster is just referring to one newspaper article which said he will earn 30k

bsCallout

Think it as very good deal on our part, only 2 years, plenty to see his development and short enough for him to get a career elsewhere if it goes wrong.

Edit: But I don't think he is good enough.

Nicklas

His talent is obvious to see when playing for the youth team so hopefully he'll go out on loan next year and gain some playing time and confidence. He seems way too nervous playing for the first team, completely different player from the one we see for u23.

sp_107

I agree with you, only upside is if he turns out to be atleast a 10M player in 2 years then we can still make some profit, We never know with these kind of players as there is a chance some can really make good progress in a year or two. Ole might have seen something in him. I dont know.

rollingstoned1

So nobody else wanted him then?!
that's the interesting bit. i don't know if it's true but while he hasn't looked much cop for us whenever he has played - and by some accounts at junior level too - he seems to be attracting interest from some of Europe's bigger clubs. Inters name was obviously thrown around but i'd read about juve and barca too. Maybe we are missing something, who knows? you can't always tell with young player as i hardly think before being favored by Mourinho anyone thought McTominay would go on to become such an important player for us 2 or 3 years ago.

RU Devil

Considering it's only 2 yrs, a loan to a Championship club would be useless, at least in terms of ascertaining whether he is Utd quality or not. If loaned to a Championship club for a season, he'd come back to a situation where United has to make a decision on re-upping within 6 months or lose him again, not giving him or United enough time to impress/integrate/etc. Either loan him to an EPL or top level Euro league club (like Dortmund or Roma) to see if he can hack it at the top level, or else he has to make do at United and shine. Could be a late bloomer, but he & United really don't have much time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
that's the interesting bit. i don't know if it's true but while he hasn't looked much cop for us whenever he has played - and by some accounts at junior level too - he seems to be attracting interest from some of Europe's bigger clubs. Inters name was obviously thrown around but i'd read about juve and barca too. Maybe we are missing something, who knows? you can't always tell with young player as i hardly think before being favored by Mourinho anyone thought McTominay would go on to become such an important player for us 2 or 3 years ago.
Well that's not even remotely true.

rollingstoned1

Well that's not even remotely true.
In this very thread people have said he hasn't looked special even for the youth teams? Obviously comparing with some who really stood out at that level I assume like pogb, januzaj a nd Morrison.