Tahith Chong | Signed a new deal until 2022

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
In this very thread people have said he hasn't looked special even for the youth teams? Obviously comparing with some who really stood out at that level I assume like pogb, januzaj a nd Morrison.
Im sure I read he’s had 6 games in the u23’s this season and scored 5 and assisted 5.

At lower age groups he has been impressive too.

No sign of that coming through to senior level just yet mind.

Craig Ward

I was sure he'd leave on a free.

I haven't seen him in the youth but the games i have seen of him in the first team I've been a bit underwhelmed. Seems raw, lightweight, and sloppy with the ball. Not seen a lot that makes him stand out.

Considering we are likely to bolster the attack with more quality over the next couple of windows, i don't see where his game time comes in, even in the cups. For example, if we sign Grealish and Sancho (or any 2 forward players): for the wide attacking areas Chong would probably be behind all of: Rashford/Mata/James/Grealish/Sancho. I'd even expect us to play Martial out wide and Ighalo up top before Chong starts out wide for us. He'd be at least 6th choice

As its a 2 year contract, i think a loan to a championship club is a bit risky as:
A) He underforms, which means he's unlikely to be thrust into our first team squad and we got a player who wont really feature much with a year left on his contract OR
B) He excels, which is great for his development but still doesn't put him near out first team squad, then we have a performing youngster who will want more game time than we can offer, with a year left on his contract

Perhaps a loan to a Prem club, or a European club

Watch this space i guess

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Looks like he has added bit of muscle

Utdstar01

Looks like he has added bit of muscle
Probably done the youngsters a bit of good having some prolonged time out from so much cardio and allowing their bodies to develop and benefit from more strength and conditioning training.

Brightonian

As a corner comes flying in, he can release that man bun, temporarily blinding all defenders within a square yard of him.

AaronRedDevil

Really hope he can turn it around. In football form in always temporary. With more chances I hope he can do good.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I've always thought that it's mostly about numbers when it comes to the academy and youth. The more promising young players a club has the more chance that one or two break through and contribute to the first team. This is a good deal because none of us know if Chong will make it or not. Now, let's sign Gomez too.

Ollie Derbyshire

I haven’t seen much to say he can make it here but good to see he signed, happy for him and Gomes to stay if Lingard and Pereria leave.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still have a lot of hope for him, and always had the impression that the club rate him very highly. He has not been physically strong enough to impose himself in men’s football, and it remains to be seem whether he will. That said, if he can become stronger, he has some very useful attributes. He is rapid with good close control, and left-footed. He has a powerful strike on him too, and can see even a potential wing-back option there in the coming years if he can fill out. A good vertical left-sider is not easy to come by.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm happy to have any of our promising young players sign extensions with us, though I can't pretend I've been impressed with what I've seen of him in the senior team.

He's got plenty of time to improve, so nice one Chong.

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

I still have a lot of hope for him, and always had the impression that the club rate him very highly. He has not been physically strong enough to impose himself in men’s football, and it remains to be seem whether he will. That said, if he can become stronger, he has some very useful attributes. He is rapid with good close control, and left-footed. He has a powerful strike on him too, and can see even a potential wing-back option there in the coming years if he can fill out. A good vertical left-sider is not easy to come by.
He is very talented, and hopefully now that the contract stuff is behind him he can really knuckle down. The added muscle will be useful, as he looked light weight in his first few games and this should help him improve.

We don't have a lot of wide players and I think even if we get Sancho, having James and him as back up options will be good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is very talented, and hopefully now that the contract stuff is behind him he can really knuckle down. The added muscle will be useful, as he looked light weight in his first few games and this should help him improve.

We don't have a lot of wide players and I think even if we get Sancho, having James and him as back up options will be good.
Yea, I think he can surprise us. His two issues to me seem to be lack of strength and also a nervousness in much of his first team outings. He’s still young though. Can see him becoming a good player here.

BlahRules

I really dont think he is rapid or had good close control from the games I have seen him play for the senior team.

If he does turn it around then I will give a lot of credit to the backroom staff.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I really dont think he is rapid or had good close control from the games I have seen him play for the senior team.

If he does turn it around then I will give a lot of credit to the backroom staff.
I think if you saw him at youth level, you will see he has the attributes. He may not have what it takes to produce that on the highest stage, but that is largely mental than anything else, and remains to be seen.

jamesjimmybyrondean

There is one more

Bruno in this picture makes it obvious he has added muscle because they used to be about the same size. I hope he does well. I think his best position is LW and I think he can develop his play similar to Sane and it's not cause of the hair

RedTiger

Half mast
Tied his hair back to make himself more streamlined, this is a sign he's taking football seriously.
That's what I thought :lol:

I can imagine ole and the staff pleading with him "for the love of God, Tahith please tie your hair while you're on the pitch, we don't give a shit what you do as you walk off the pitch but tie your hair back. Your peripheral vision is absolute shite ffs".

Rafaeldagold

He looked terrible in every game he’s played in so slightly bemused on why we’re offering a new deal.

Teja

Well that's that for the hair obstructing his peripheral vision comments.

SAFMUTD

I dont think he’ll make it here, he hasn’t showed anything in the first team to suggest it, but we saw what happened with McSauce so Im not writing him off just yet.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He'll fill up that spot when the other youth player is eventually move by Raiola, his agent.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think I’ve said it before but I’m judging him on his displays for the reserves rather than the first team and I think he will eventually translate those same performances into top flight football. He definitely hasn’t done it yet, but if he can he’s going to be some player. His work rate is high, he does so much work in his own half and then steams forward with the ball keeping his head up and his eye on who is countering with him.

Im not worried about what he’s shown so far for the first team, just hopeful that he kicks on at some point and emulates his reserves performances because I really like his style.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think I’ve said it before but I’m judging him on his displays for the reserves rather than the first team and I think he will eventually translate those same performances into top flight football. He definitely hasn’t done it yet, but if he can he’s going to be some player. His work rate is high, he does so much work in his own half and then steams forward with the ball keeping his head up and his eye on who is countering with him.

Im not worried about what he’s shown so far for the first team, just hopeful that he kicks on at some point and emulates his reserves performances because I really like his style.
I echo the sentiment here, if he can bring his form from the reserve team then he'll easily be worthy of a squad place. But not every youngster can replicate that form in senior football, so we'll see if he can do it. I hope so, I enjoy watching him play.

mu4c_20le

It was honestly every game.
I honestly think every one of your posts is terrible. I don't think I've ever seen anything positive from you. Your posts in the Ole threads for the past year have been worse than Chong's performances.

I dont think he’ll make it here, he hasn’t showed anything in the first team to suggest it, but we saw what happened with McSauce so Im not writing him off just yet.

I’ve seen nothing either to suggest he will make it. But we need a squad, and he will play a few games here and there, and then hopefully moved on to a smaller club for a fee in a year or two.

Ekeke

He did well in that friendly against Inter when he played on the left. Other than that, I've gotta agree that he's been incredibly underwhelming when he's played in the first team

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He honestly has been a passenger for every senior game I've seen, but he comes highly recommend from those who've seen him in the youth/reserves. I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he looks like he might grow into a good player and perhaps it might have been confidence issues (understandable).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If he can do what he does in the reserves in the first team he’ll become an important player for us. He looked superb at that level but it’s a shockingly low level. He hasn’t shown anything really in the first team. There’s no shame in not being able to seamlessly make the final leap from that level into the top 10% of footballers and I’m certainly willing to give him more time to develop. I personally think a loan would be best of all for him now if it was of a good enough standard and then try and break into the squad the following season with hopefully a bit more about him. He’s still got potential.

Rafaeldagold

I honestly think every one of your posts is terrible. I don't think I've ever seen anything positive from you. Your posts in the Ole threads for the past year have been worse than Chong's performances.
Really get a grip.

Ole isn’t the best manager we could get & Chong is beyond dreadful. Nothing wrong with either of those statements.