Tahith Chong | Signed a new deal until 2022

KevinJoh

I would not say he was bad in every game. He had a few bad games when he really had a chance to shine, like against Rochdale for example. On the other hand he was OK against LASK in last 20 minutes, made excellent pass for goal to Greenwood. Also, made assist against Brugge to Fred and had solid 45 minutes in that game (OK, they had red card). He added assist against Tranmere. So, those are 3 assist in not like too many minutes on the pitch (although in games where we already won). His best game for us was against Wolves away in FA Cup. He was very good in that game.
Of course, I am not saying he was great this year. He was excellent in reserves, so he is above that level, but obviously not on PL level as if he was Ole would give him more chances. On the other hand, he had good preseason (have been excellent in one game, I think against Inter), but after that his form dropped. Could be injury, could be contract situation, could be just form, it happens. But, in the second part of the season, after that Wolves game when he started he was OK I think. OK for a kid and his first proper minutes against senior players. So, lets see. I am not like big fan, and don't have high expectations, but he could surprise us and we don't have much to lose with him.
I would not be surprised for example to see him loaned to Ajax as part of de Beek Deal :)

Rafaeldagold

It really wasn't.
Every game he misplaced easy passes, had no impact & was beyond terrible & no where near the quality of a Manchester United player.

Although apparently he is now as we’re hanging out deal extensions for it

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Let’s not write out young players yet. The management have obviously seen something in him to want to tie him down to a contract extension. Let’s give these players time and then judge.

Tony247

Management possibly want return on their investment so that they prefer to sell him for 15m in coming year or two rather than letting him walk out for free.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
20 year old who is very fragile not impressing in limited game time shouldn't be a problem. He is talented player, his performances for U23 shows that where he dribbles past players for fun and scores ridiculous goals.

I don't rate him very highly as others but extending his contract is very easy decision. You don't let go young players so early just because they found it hard to step up.

ROFLUTION

a year on loan at Ajax or a similar attacking club would do wonders and make him ready.

Thinks too highly of himself though I'm afraid. He seems motivated for money/fame and that seldom is the best motivation long term with very young players. Boy, have we seen it with players who shine for a short amount of time and then get an "I've made it" attitude and put their gloves down. Januzaj, Morrison, Macheda, the list goes on

Hope he sees the bigger picture, has patience, goes on loan and puts in a great amount of work. He could be great under the right guidance.

Ekeke

a year on loan at Ajax or a similar attacking club would do wonders and make him ready.

Thinks too highly of himself though I'm afraid. He seems motivated for money/fame and that seldom is the best motivation long term with very young players. Boy, have we seen it with players who shine for a short amount of time and then get an "I've made it" attitude and put their gloves down. Januzaj, Morrison, Macheda, the list goes on

Hope he sees the bigger picture, has patience, goes on loan and puts in a great amount of work. He could be great under the right guidance.
Why would Ajax pick him? They have their own younger talents who have already shown more in their first team

ROFLUTION

Why would Ajax pick him? They have their own younger talents who have already shown more in their first team
I don't know, maybe if they sell Van de Beek? Or if they get a compensation if he becomes good later on? Or a possibility to buy him? Anyways, I also suggested another attacking team.

All in all, if Chong only becomes semi-good, he might stay at Ajax or return to Ajax later on. Or if he becomes good for us, Ajax could get a fee. Playerwise, PSV, Ajax, etc has had similar players like Lozano, Ziyech, so on.

Ekeke

I don't know, maybe if they sell Van de Beek? Or if they get a compensation if he becomes good later on? Or a possibility to buy him? Anyways, I also suggested another attacking team.

All in all, if Chong only becomes semi-good, he might stay at Ajax or return to Ajax later on. Or if he becomes good for us, Ajax could get a fee. Playerwise, PSV, Ajax, etc has had similar players like Lozano, Ziyech, so on.
I'm not sure what you mean by similar players. Lozano came through the ranks at PSV, he didn't sign for a club like United and then come back on loan to PSV. In terms of playing style, I guess they're both quick but Lozano is a hard worker

Ziyech did sign from another club, but is a different kind of player completely to Chong. Did he first go on loan to Ajax before he signed for them? Else I don't get the connection you tried to make as he's not a speed based player, instead he's the playmaker who finds the players with movement.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
20 year old who is very fragile not impressing in limited game time shouldn't be a problem. He is talented player, his performances for U23 shows that where he dribbles past players for fun and scores ridiculous goals.

I don't rate him very highly as others but extending his contract is very easy decision. You don't let go young players so early just because they found it hard to step up.
Incorrect, if they are not 1st team prem quality by 20, they never will be. I think that's the rubric anyway.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A loan to Championship side and play regular will do him a world of good. Most youngsters find PL is a step too big from Academy.

ROFLUTION

I'm not sure what you mean by similar players. Lozano came through the ranks at PSV, he didn't sign for a club like United and then come back on loan to PSV. In terms of playing style, I guess they're both quick but Lozano is a hard worker

Ziyech did sign from another club, but is a different kind of player completely to Chong. Did he first go on loan to Ajax before he signed for them? Else I don't get the connection you tried to make as he's not a speed based player, instead he's the playmaker who finds the players with movement.
I'm not sure what you're getting at, it seems like you're fishing for a 1:1 comparison with a similar player - I'm just mentioning similar attacking players that flourished at dutch clubs. All I was saying was just that Ajax or a similar attacking-minded club would be a good fit.

tenpoless

It must be easier for him to run this time.
Really though I wouldn't be able to run with a bald eagles nest on my head. Too heavy.

Ekeke

I'm not sure what you're getting at, it seems like you're fishing for a 1:1 comparison with a similar player - I'm just mentioning similar attacking players that flourished at dutch clubs. All I was saying was just that Ajax or a similar attacking-minded club would be a good fit.
They arent similar thats the point.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Don't think he looks anywhere near good enough to have a decent long term future at the club, just as I did with McTominay.

Fully expect him to be poty 2020-21

GMoore23

He should have gotten James's playing time last season. Already a better player and with a much higher ceiling imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Playing proper mens football regularly will be huge for Chong. He always had the talent but perhaps lacked the know how and seemed to struggle with the pressure of the huge OT crowd.

I think being away from United will make him grow and we will see what he's really made of.

United need to use the loan system way more. We missed the trick with Gomes and I worry Garner/Levitt will suffer the same. Reserve level just isn't good enough to progress.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He should have gotten James's playing time last season. Already a better player and with a much higher ceiling imo.
There's no evidence to suggest that whatsoever. He looked OK in the youth/u23s but was way out of his depth each time he appeared for the 1st team. He lacked confidence and gave the ball away numerous times. While he's talented, he's also raw and badly in need of experience outside of Utd where there'll be little spotlight on him. Hopefully he starts to put in a shift at Werder Bremen, and I don't mean just the odd great goal here and there. He needs to show what Gnabry did; an all round team game and contribute in all areas of the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There's no evidence to suggest that whatsoever. He looked OK in the youth/u23s but was way out of his depth each time he appeared for the 1st team. He lacked confidence and gave the ball away numerous times. While he's talented, he's also raw and badly in need of experience outside of Utd where there'll be little spotlight on him. Hopefully he starts to put in a shift at Werder Bremen, and I don't mean just the odd great goal here and there. He needs to show what Gnabry did; an all round team game and contribute in all areas of the pitch.
Exactly. Chong looked poor whenever he played for first team, loan was the better option for him. James looked poor in the second half of the season but he was still better than Chong overall.

Chong might go on to become very good player for us, that wont change a bit about who was better player in 2019-20 season.

Hopefully he will have very good loan at Bremen, he can be very good option for us if he can step up to first team football.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He didn't just look "OK". Since he moved up to the U23s, he's consistently been one of our best players. No need to undersell him to make your point. I don't think there's anything wrong with people believing he has a higher ceiling that Dan James, he was considered a "super talent" when we first signed him and has delivered at every level bar the first team, and that includes his appearances against men's teams in the EFL trophy where he was our best player. I'd be frankly stunned if he doesn't end up a better footballer than James.

Mark Pawelek

Chong deserves the same chance Lingard and Pereira got. If he does well on loan, certainly if he manages good stats like goals, assists, and key passes, bring him back to see whether he's more effective than James. Now he's no longer at OT, maybe the hate squad can direct their hatred against someone else?

Red_toad

A better player based on what exactly? James was very good in his first few months at the club on the left. When exactly has Chong shown any such ability at senior level? Try sticking to facts on your reply.

Pavl3n

I couldn't find any thread for him in the performance forum and I wanted to see what others think of his move to Brugge.
He has played at least 45' in 8 of 11 games (527'). 2 cameos in the closing stages of the game (9' and 16' respectively) and one game sat on the bench.
Total of 552 minutes in 11 games. And he's recorded 1 goal in the cup vs fourth tier opposition in the opening round.
Also registered 4 assists. One against the bottom opposition and 3 against mid table clubs.
However his contributions have dried up in the last 30 days.

Are there people who watch him regularly ?