Tahith Chong

MUFC OK

Give him some of Fred the PED's supplements. With the lack of RW's out there we need him soonish.
Can't we source some of the sh*t Messi was on and make him the greatest player of all time?

seriously though, I'd love to see him as part of the first team this year and for us to actually play him. Pre-season tour will be interesting but I'd be surprised if he gets more than about 150 mins of football for us next season.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Seeing his hair in the first photos made me excited already about him, hope he stays fit and inpresses in the preseason, think he’s got potential to be amazing winger, better than Rash

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have high hopes for him this season and expect him to make an impact on the team from pre-season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Have high hopes for him this season and expect him to make an impact on the team from pre-season.
As do I. Very little competition, so far, on his favoured wing could really give him a great opportunity to break into the first team.

Oldgiggsfan

Would love to see him to get a few minutes on the wing over the next month, especially with injuries happening thick and fast.

freeurmind

weak willed
Problem is there's about 15 players competing for the forward positions already. Might get a run out in the FA Cup 3rd round.

Mr PG

My assessment having watched him live is ...ability wise he has it all... mental wise he needs improvement as in timing of his runs. Rashford for instance times his runs and stops perfectly. Chong doesn’t and does everything at 100m/hr which is easier for a good defender to deal with.

Thiagoal

I think in a couple of years he could become a beast... needs to fine tune a few things and certainly strengthen before that happens. Great potential though

Kostov

The kid is quality, we must do our best to integrate him in our first team squad. One thing I love about him the most, is his willingness to take defenders on and try to beat them. If he manages to transform that to senior level football, we will at least have a RW who does not go backwards and shies away from defenders.

Trizy

My assessment having watched him live is ...ability wise he has it all... mental wise he needs improvement as in timing of his runs. Rashford for instance times his runs and stops perfectly. Chong doesn’t and does everything at 100m/hr which is easier for a good defender to deal with.
Only this season, really. He was a headless kick the ball past the defender and try out sprint him up until this year.

I'd imagine it has a lot to do with his international coaching because he definitely didn't learn it from Jose.

Anyway, Chong will get that with experience.

Bestietom

I watched the under 23's last night against Fulham, (3-1 to Fulham) and Chong was the star man. He got a lot of hard treatment but just got up and got on with it. Gomes has great close control and can pick a pass and for his size, can look after himself also.

red thru&thru

He's ready for a loan away. Hoffenheim or Derby or something would be good
Agree. Bundasliga seems like the place a top young talent will be able to apply his trade. If reports are correct, Marco Rose will be managing Hoffenheim next year, so if they’d accept someone like Chong, it would be great.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Despite getting a few minutes this season, he'll still likely get minutes in only the League and maybe FA cups if he stays next year. A loan to a lower PL/Championship club could be great for him.

pascell

Means we've got plans to sign a winger in the summer? Surely we're not going to rely on Mata an Sanchez on the wings for another season and not sign anyone

In Rainbows

Would love if Chong gets a loan to the Eredivisie. He's really skinny so I would think it would benefit him more to go to a league that protects its attacking players more than England. That's only for next season though. I'm sure he'll fill out after that and should start playing in England from that point on.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Would love if Chong gets a loan to the Eredivisie. He's really skinny so I would think it would benefit him more to go to a league that protects its attacking players more than England. That's only for next season though. I'm sure he'll fill out after that and should start playing in England from that point on.
I think if he goes on loan to Eredivisie it would be a retrograde step. I'd prefer Germany

Kostov

Sending him on loan would be a very good decision. But finding a proper club I have very little confidence in our management. Good club in Germany could do wonders for Chong, he has got bags of potential.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t think a loan is the right move for all players. Look at Rashford’s development.

We have got the capacity for his type of player in the squad right now which means that even if he is not playing actual matches, he will be getting minutes in training games with first team players.

I think he is a real talent and our set of coaches are the best ones to help him realise that potential.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think he needs a loan for sure. Certainly as much for mental development as physical. He can’t show what he can do if he continually gets stage fright whenever he gets on the pitch.

SSSSnake

I don't see any harm in a loan. Will build character and give him a platform to show his abilities. He's better off getting game time rather then just training with the first teams squad.

MadMike

I don’t think a loan is the right move for all players. Look at Rashford’s development.

We have got the capacity for his type of player in the squad right now which means that even if he is not playing actual matches, he will be getting minutes in training games with first team players.

I think he is a real talent and our set of coaches are the best ones to help him realise that potential.
Sending attacking players like Chong on loan is very tricky. Can do more harm than good imo.
It could be that keeping him here is better for his talent development but he's gonna need some experience sooner rather than later. Rashford was starting for us when he was 18, Chong at 19 doesn't yet look ready.

I think what's more worrying for him is that he seems to have been leapfrogged by Greenwood who's a couple of years younger and getting minutes in Chong's natural position. I mean he might be talented but there's only that many team spots available for youngsters especially when Lingard and Sanchez return to action.

Speaking of Lingard, he was same age when he started going on loan and he developed fine. He certainly reached his potential. So it's not all doom and gloom, going on loan. There are risks of course too, but there's also risks attached with being perennially protected yet not played.

I'm not saying he should go on loan, I'm saying it's not as clear cut that staying is best for him.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If we're bringing in more attacking forwards then it can't hurt, he's already 3rd/4th choice so a loan spell will do more for his development than sitting on the bench here. Look at how much Sancho has progressed since playing regular first team football.

MadMike

If we're bringing in more attacking forwards then it can't hurt, he's already 3rd/4th choice so a loan spell will do more for his development than sitting on the bench here. Look at how much Sancho has progressed since playing regular first team football.
Sancho's move was permanent, not loan. Big difference. Clubs that own you are invested in your development as player because they'll also see value out of it. They'll be more patient. If you're a loanee, they want you to perform and if you don't, there's nothing in it for them to persevere with you.

In Rainbows

Sancho's move was permanent, not loan. Big difference. Clubs that own you are invested in your development as player because they'll also see value out of it. They'll be more patient. If you're a loanee, they want you to perform and if you don't, there's nothing in it for them to persevere with you.
Yep. Only way to curb that is 2 year loans because the first year could be a preparation for the 2nd season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Reiss Nelson is on loan and doing well

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He started off well when a few of Hoffenheims first teamers were injured but got benched in favour of their normal starting players (despite scoring 5 goals in 5 games) and there lies the problem with loans.
Hes still playing though, even if its as a sub. 17 appearances more than he likely would have got at Arsenal

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hes still playing though, even if its as a sub. 17 appearances more than he likely would have got at Arsenal
He's played 69 minutes since Christmas, I'd wager he'd easily have got more minutes at Arsenal, he wasn't even in the squad at the weekend.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's played 69 minutes since Christmas, I'd wager he'd easily have got more minutes at Arsenal, he wasn't even in the squad at the weekend.
To add on to this. He has played 704 minutes for them this season. This despite the fact he started the season in sensational form. He scored 5 and assisted one in 5 games and proceeded to be immediately dropped and has only made 1 start since in a 4 month period. He hasn't even matched his minutes for Arsenal last year which was 734 minutes. He'd almost certainly have played more or at least as much at Arsenal. Hoffenheim also had CL football too so a lack of fixtures can't be used as an excuse for lack of minutes either.

It really sets straight this "send him to Germany" non-sense every one keeps spouting as if top Bundesliga clubs are just handing out playing time to ever PL youth player on loan. This whole idea is based off of two players, one of which isn't even on loan and the other who was immediately dropped and has barely played despite having an unreal start to the season. People suggest shit like Chong should go on loan to Dortmund as if they have any desire to loan him or any of our youth players.

If Chong is to go on loan, which I think he should, then he should be going to a upper mid-table Eredevisie side where he will be one of the best players and they have no choice but to play him. Clubs like Dortmund and Ajax have enough money to buy their own young talents, they have no desire to develop other clubs' players. Even a lower side like PEC Zwolle would have been fine as an initial loan while Jaap Stam was there. With Stam going to Feyenoord and Chong's history there maybe they could be an option but that would be as good as a team it gets. The whole point of a loan would be to get his first steps in senior football. Not go be an injury crisis back-up for a top Bundesliga side.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
'IT'S GREAT TO SEE OLE GIVING YOUTH A CHANCE'

It has been an impressive period of development for Tahith Chong since the turn of the year as he has made his senior debut for Manchester United and also played his part in the incredible 3-1 win at Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.

The Netherlands Under-21 international is now one of the most experienced players with the Under-23s and he is looking forward to playing at Old Trafford again on Friday night. West Brom provide the opposition and there is free entry for all fans for the 19:00 BST kick-off.

“Playing at Old Trafford is always an honour, whether that is with the Under-23s or the first team,” he told our Official App. “So we cannot wait for the game.

”At this level, it’s about development, but of course we want to finish the season as strongly as possible and we’ll do everything we can to win the game. That is obviously important for us as players to develop that winning mentality.“

Chong admits he has picked up plenty of tips from being around Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ’s squad, ones he hopes to take into the Under-23s. However, he does not see himself as a senior player within Ricky Sbragia’s team just yet.

“Being at Manchester United, you have so many new experiences and are learning every day,” he said. “You’re seeing how players go into games and how they prepare.
”I think it’s not specifics really, just small stuff you pick up and put that in your back pocket to use it one day. It’s good to pick it up, stuff I didn’t know about. I think it’s both on and off the field, you go to train with them and see things and think: ‘Hey, okay, I might start doing that as what he did there was really good’.“

With Ole confirmed as permanent manager, the pathway to first-team football remains very much open for the forward and others within the Academy, something that continues to provide a spring in the step for all those working hard at the Aon Training Complex.

“It was just a proud moment making my debut against Reading,” he said, ahead of his next outing at the Theatre of Dreams. “For me and everyone, in and around the club. We won the game as well, which was good.

“The hard work eventually pays off, which is good to see.

“I think, ever since the manager came in, he has given me my debut and others have had theirs too. I think nine players that have come through the Academy have now appeared under him now so it’s amazing to see the trust both him and the club are willing to put in youth.“

One experience that is forever going to be difficult to replicate is the one of sheer elation felt at the end of the dramatic away-goals triumph in Paris in the last round of the Champions League. Chong came off the bench to help United score an all-important third goal but could barely bring himself to watch Marcus Rashford’s nerve-shredding penalty in stoppage time.

When asked if he could have imagined all this happening to him this season if we had asked him in August, he replied: “No. No chance. It was unbelievable. Even now, words cannot describe such an unbelievable game.
”Just to be on the pitch and, with Mason [Greenwood] coming on as well, we still speak about it and can’t believe that we came on in an actual game like that. Even Jimmy [Garner] and Angel [Gomes] on the bench experienced it as well.

“In the changing room, everyone was buzzing straight after the game. Just to accomplish that, when no-one expected us to go through, was just amazing. Really amazing.”

Chong is refusing to think too far ahead and barely has time to contemplate what he has achieved this season as he wants to end the campaign on a high.

”Obviously, I played for the Under-23s in the first bit but then made my debut which made me really proud,” he said. “That’s football – it can change just like that in a couple of months. “I’ve got to keep pushing to the end of the season now but it’s West Brom on Friday first.

”I don’t really feel like a senior player in the Under-23s yet. I’ll just try to go out and play the game. Obviously, I’ll help some of the boys as I’ve been doing that before now anyway, as we’ll be trying to get the win.

”If any of the senior coaching staff are there, it will be good. Not just for me but all the boys on the pitch as it shows the faith they have and that they are interested in how we are doing. I think everybody in the Academy is buzzing as they can see that if you work hard enough and listen to your coaches, then the pathway is there.

”It’s really hard to think about next season. It’s West Brom and the mindset is there to be on that game and the end of this season. Whether it’s in the Under-23s or not, I want to finish strongly and that starts on Friday. I want to do that right.”

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/tahith-chong-on-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-giving-youth-a-chance