Tahith Chong

GBBQ

Mike Smalling

His performances have been completely underwhelming, whenever he has been on. I definitely have him a level below Greenwood, Gomes and Williams in terms of potential.

Would prefer to send him on loan, but if he wants to leave it would be no big deal.

SAFMUTD

Like many said I would offer him on loan or sell him with a buyback clause, he seemed to have lots of potential early on but everytime he plays at major level he seems not good enough. I dont think he’ll make it at top level.

mat85

Very early to be writing him off. He's physically weak, but he's only out of the u18s. It's just a lot harder to hold onto good youth players now in the current climate as there are top division teams in other countries willing to give game time. Hopefully he and gomes sign.

Last edited by a moderator:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People might say he's physically weak, and it's a fair criticism, but he's been the catalyst of our last 2 results in the EFL trophy so he's certainly got a future in the men's game whether it's here or elsewhere remains to be seen.

Sanchez7

He has shown nothing to suggest he is even half the level Januzaj was in the first team.

Januzaj was a victim of poor management which has been standard at the club since SAF left, few goals vs Sunderland and we gave him a new fat contract and the #11 jersey.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He has shown nothing to suggest he is even half the level Januzaj was in the first team.

Januzaj was a victim of poor management which has been standard at the club since SAF left, few goals vs Sunderland and we gave him a new fat contract and the #11 jersey.
He was the victim of his own ego by the sounds of it.

Mark Pawelek

He needs to go out on loan to physically acclimatize to the men's game. He's dispossed far too easily.

Per 90 minutes
Tahith Chong -------- 3.1
Dwight McNeil------- 2
Dan James ---------- 0.9
Ryan Fraser --------- 1.0
Mason Greenwood -- 0.4
Jarrod Bowen ------- 1.9
Jadon Sancho ------- 0.9

I admit his stats are based on very few games but, anyhow, it's not really asking a lot of a player to go on loan for 5 months. To advance their career, nearly every player has to.

Ekeke

He needs to go out on loan to physically acclimatize to the men's game. He's dispossed far too easily.

Per 90 minutes
Dwight McNeil------- 2
Dan James ---------- 0.9
Mason Greenwood -- 0.4
Jarrod Bowen ------- 1.9
Jadon Sancho ------- 0.9

I admit his stats are based on very few games but, anyhow, it's not really asking a lot of a player to go on loan for 5 months. To advance their career, nearly every player has to.
Its also to do with how often a player tries to take players on. McNeil tries to take on players far more often than James for example, so no surprise he gets tackled more often

settembrini

Its also to do with how often a player tries to take players on. McNeil tries to take on players far more often than James for example, so no surprise he gets tackled more often
The dispossessed stat is specifically for when a player gets tackled without trying to dribble. McNeil, like Chong, is simply bad at shielding the ball,

What you are talking about is the unsuccessful vs successful dribble numbers. McNeil does well here, better than James.

Ekeke

The dispossessed stat is specifically for when a player gets tackled without trying to dribble. McNeil, like Chong, is simply bad at shielding the ball,

What you are talking about is the unsuccessful vs successful dribble numbers. McNeil does well here, better than James.
Again its not as simple as that. When you are someone who tries to dribble a lot, you're going to make some progress and then get isolated at times.

At that point, with very little help, maybe the defender comes in and pinches the ball without being taken on. But its the fact the player is willing to take players on and dribble at them that makes ground and gets them to that point, and maybe they at least win a throw in or a corner. Not being particularly good at shielding is a factor, but being someone who tries to make a bunch of dribbles is without a doubt a factor as you will rarely see someone who dribbles a lot who isnt also dis-possessed more often than the majority of teammates.

As an example, Pogba and then Martial are our most dis-possessed players this season in the league. 2.8 for Pogba and 2.3 for Martial. They are our 3rd and 1st most frequent dribbler.

Rashford is our 2nd most frequent dribbler and fares better at 0.9. But hes our only player who has more dribbles than times dis-possessed per game and completes at least 1 dribble per match. Perhaps this is due to his speed and tendency to play the ball into space and chase it down with that speed.

Scholsey2004

Could do well at a mid/lower table counter-attacking side that parks the bus and breaks at pace. Similar to someone like Yannick Bolasie. Not convinced he'd be so effective for us.

TrustInOle

Per 90 minutes
Dwight McNeil------- 2
Dan James ---------- 0.9
Mason Greenwood -- 0.4
Jarrod Bowen ------- 1.9
Jadon Sancho ------- 0.9

Off topic, but that's some phenomenal ball control and hold up from Greenwood. Dispossessed less than once every 2 games. Frightening potential.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Off topic, but that's some phenomenal ball control and hold up from Greenwood. Dispossessed less than once every 2 games. Frightening potential.
Sample size is negligible for both players.Those are per game stats which won't show anything considering Greenwood just plays 10 mins per game. IF you go by per 90 mins it will be more that 3 per 90 mins.

Those stats don't tell anything about these young players considering the number of mins is negligible, especially for Chong.

Litch

Our state of the squad and not signing players with Ole stating that these kids are ready created false hope. We are now critical about them when clearly they weren't ready. The young kids need loan moves.

Zlatattack

There's a good player in there somewhere and we should offer him a new contract, but he definitely needs a couple of seasons out on loan, somewhere he can get regular game time and develop. Somewhere that isn't OT, with less pressure.

TrustInOle

Sample size is negligible for both players.Those are per game stats which won't show anything considering Greenwood just plays 10 mins per game. IF you go by per 90 mins it will be more that 3 per 90 mins.

Those stats don't tell anything about these young players considering the number of mins is negligible, especially for Chong.
Where as I would normally agree, so far Mason has had more than just the odd 10 minute cameo. Each time I very rarely see him lose the ball, mostly makes the right decisions and passes and already showed enough strength at 18 to hold defenders off, so I'd like to think they ar not that misleading. On the others case, where they actually have had 10 mins rarely, I'd agree.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I find it hard to be too unhappy about this. Almost every time Chong has played he has looked as though he has stage fright. Its left me completely confused about him as I don't know what his true level is. I can imagine he hasn't been helped by having to play under real pressure. We're not a team like Juve, which has so many game changers a youngster can come in and play knowing the big guns will carry the team regardless of what they do.

Given where we are, and where he is, I can see why he wants to go. A player like Chong probably needs to play in a less desperate environment than we're in. Right now we can't afford any passengers and, this season, that's what he's been. Playing somewhere with players who can carry him until he comes into his own, or where he's under less pressure to 'do it' week in week out, will probably benefit him long term.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I find it hard to be too unhappy about this. Almost every time Chong has played he has looked as though he has stage fright. Its left me completely confused about him as I don't know what his true level is. I can imagine he hasn't been helped by having to play under real pressure. We're not a team like Juve, which has so many game changers a youngster can come in and play knowing the big guns will carry the team regardless of what they do.

Given where we are, and where he is, I can see why he wants to go. A player like Chong probably needs to play in a less desperate environment than we're in. Right now we can't afford any passengers and, this season, that's what he's been. Playing somewhere with players who can carry him until he comes into his own, or where he's under less pressure to 'do it' week in week out, will probably benefit him long term.
Correct, he doesn't have the mentality to play at United.

onemanarmy

I'm not even sure he's good enough to play in the Dutch league at the moment. The Ajax, PSV and AZ youngsters are way ahead of him.

Mylock

Our state of the squad and not signing players with Ole stating that these kids are ready created false hope. We are now critical about them when clearly they weren't ready. The young kids need loan moves.
You are correct some of the Kids like Chong, Larid and Gomez need to be sent out on loan. They should be signed up for on a new contract and sent out until they are ready or moved on if they don't make the required progress. Its very difficult for a kid to come into a team that lacks leaders.

Son

Makes zero sense to sell him yet. Surely a loan move is the best idea for both parties?

Surely the guy needs to pay the club back by taking a loan. The fact he’s been played in the first team a few times surely dictates that. He’s still got time to impress for a year as has Gomez.

I’d rather us keep Gomez but he seems to need some serious work mentally before he’s ready for the first team. It would be sad if he left. There won’t be any golden path for them like Pogba. He is a generational talent in his position.

I doubt either are gonna become like Ødegaard. Madrid have loaned him out to perfection. Now looks truly world class and is ready to step into any first 11 in the world.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Makes zero sense to sell him yet. Surely a loan move is the best idea for both parties?

Surely the guy needs to pay the club back by taking a loan. The fact he’s been played in the first team a few times surely dictates that. He’s still got time to impress for a year as has Gomez.

I’d rather us keep Gomez but he seems to need some serious work mentally before he’s ready for the first team. It would be sad if he left. There won’t be any golden path for them like Pogba. He is a generational talent in his position.

I doubt either are gonna become like Ødegaard. Madrid have loaned him out to perfection. Now looks truly world class and is ready to step into any first 11 in the world.
I take it you mean Gomes?

flappyjay

We are not selling, he is apparently refusing to a contract and will walk for free. (whoever gets him would give us a small fee for training)

StrettyEnder07

We are not selling, he is apparently refusing to a contract and will walk for free. (whoever gets him would give us a small fee for training)
To be fair if Chong has turned down a new deal and wants to walk for free, he is the one youngster currently on the scene that I don't think is good enough.

Would be far more alarmed if it was Williams/Tuanzebe/Garner/Gomes/Greenwood etc.

Son

To be fair if Chong has turned down a new deal and wants to walk for free, he is the one youngster currently on the scene that I don't think is good enough.

Would be far more alarmed if it was Williams/Tuanzebe/Garner/Gomes/Greenwood etc.
I suppose the club can’t do anything then. Is what it is.

We are moving towards bigger things as a club we hope so he will probably never get game time when new signings join.

StrettyEnder07

I suppose the club can’t do anything then. Is what it is.

We are moving towards bigger things as a club we hope so he will probably never get game time when new signings join.
Yeah mate if you said to me who is the one that you don't think will make it, it would be Chong for me, just looks so erratic and loses the ball constantly, I won't lose any sleep if he goes for free.

Teja

I mean, you win some and you lose some. Chong had his chance in the first team and didn't prove himself. Even if he reaches Pogba levels of success, there's no way what he's shown until now deserves a bumper contract.

Good luck to him I guess, you gotta do what's right by you as a player.