Tahith Chong

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's actually a very good player from what I've seen at youth level. I'm not surprised the likes of Juventus are interested in him either. I think he'll go onto have a very good career as a winger if he leaves and we'll look back in regret.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

I'm not convinced by Chong either. He's certainly got decent talent but I think he's built for a mid to lower table side that defends deep and breaks at pace. Reminds me of a Yannick Bolasie type of player. Doesn't have Rashford's quality imo.

Gomes on the other hand I think we need longer to assess his chances because he's more talented. I was convinced from an early age that he'd make it here but so far he hasn't impressed at men's level and the staff don't seem convinced either. He may decide to try his chances elsewhere but as it stands I'd be more interested in seeing Dylan Levitt at first team level. He reminds me a bit of James Maddison perhaps.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's actually a very good player from what I've seen at youth level. I'm not surprised the likes of Juventus are interesting in him either. I think he'll go onto have a very good career as a winger if he leaves and we'll look back in regret.
I agree. From watching him at youth level he’s got a lot in his locker. He’s good going forward, very hard working getting back and helping in his own half and he links up well with both his midfield and fellow attackers.

The fact he’s got some first real action at 19 is great news and it’s no huge shame on him that he hasn’t grasped the chance like players like Rashford and Greenwood did.

He’s a talent we should be looking to tie down for another 3/4 seasons and should be looking to go the traditional route of loaning to a Championship/lower European league counterpart so he can get some real competitive football under his belt regularly.

Ekeke

Youth level doesnt matter. Look at McTominay

Its more important to adapt to the mens game than it is to stand out at youth level. We've seen it so many times before that players have the talent to stand out against other youngsters, but they cant translate it to playing well in the first team

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Its more important to adapt to the mens game than it is to stand out at youth level. We've seen it so many times before that players have the talent to stand out against other youngsters, but they cant translate it to playing well in the first team
To be fair McTominay didnt look very good under Jose

DanClancy

There very unique circumstances surrounding McTominey, its very rare a player grows so much which completely changed the dynamic of the player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To be fair McTominay didnt look very good under Jose
Erm yeah he did, seems to be this myth that McTominay has only started performing under Ole whereas McTominay was up there as MOTM in the 2-1 win over Liverpool under Mourinho (that's the most obvious example I can remember)

The problem McTominay had under Mourinho were the games were he was pressed into being an emergency CB, in the games he was a CM he showed signs of being the player he is now

As for Chong every time I've seen him in a competitive first team game he's barely looked like a professional footballer to be honest so at this stage no great shame if he moves on imo. Really dont envision another Pogba that's for sure

Red00012

I think you could possibly loan him out in January but I’m not so sure he’d get much game time. Maybe some mid table team in the Dutch league.
He’d be torn up in the championship.

kundalini

It is still very early days for the likes of Chong, Gomes etc. Wan-Bissaka made his PL debut aged 20 years 2 months, McTominay 20 years 4 months, Dan James made his Championship debut aged 20 years 9 months, Lingard's PL debut 21 years 8 months (played Championship a lot earlier), Bailly's La Liga debut came aged 20 years 5 months, Maguire's PL debut 21 years 9 months (played a lot at a lower level prior to that), Lindelof made his sub debut in Liga NOS when he was 19 years 9 months but his full debut in that competition didn't come until he was 21 years 6 months.

It is clear that United under Solskjaer would like to develop our own talent but that will require patience, both from the coaching staff and the players concerned. I struggle to see how anyone can assess how Chong will perform as a mature adult, until he acquires the physical strength to compete in the PL. And then there's the whole mental side of playing for United, can he cope with the pressure ? Will he be a player that improves aspects of his game year after year ?

I like Chong and hope he stays another 3 or 4 years, so we can discover if he will turn out to be good enough or not.

As for the current stories about him leaving, I suspect that is simply his agent examining the options available to him.

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Who did is a better question. Ibra and De Gea that's about it.
More to the point is that a couple of appearances in the first team isnt enough to see what the player can do

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

buckooo1978

Chong doesn't look close to being ready for the first team even in a rotation role

he really needs a loan and regular football

maybe Chong thinks he is ready but he didnt sound like he was buying into United's development plan

AltiUn

I do actually think if we could tie him down to a contract we could loan him, seeing his performances in the EFL trophy against adult teams he's clearly ready for some level of first team football, probably just not quite the PL.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why?

Because he was 17 when he signed the contract?

We put an option on Greenwoods contract.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/mason-greenwood-signs-new-long-term-contract-with-man-utd
Manchester United is delighted to announce that Mason Greenwood has signed a new contract, which will keep him at the club until June 2023, with the option to extend for a further year.
Yes there are laws around the length of contracts 17 year olds are allowed to sign. Mason Greenwood was 18 and a full adult.

Mickson

7 goals and 5 assist in 9 games. Played 675 minutes. A point every 56 minutes for the U23. Despite his performances for the first team, he has been very good for the U23 and that is fantastic numbers from him. There is a player in there. No doubt.

lysglimt

Scout
Chong has looked much improved in the last games - Gomes I am more worried about. He was brilliant in the first 2 months - but not been anywhere near that Level the last few times he has played. I am actually more convinced that Gomes will leave than I am with Chong

AltiUn

Chong's in the squad again today, if I were a betting man I'd guess that he's going to end up renewing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Chong's in the squad again today, if I were a betting man I'd guess that he's going to end up renewing.
Played well against Reading. Just needs a lot of experience. He’s nowhere near as mature in decision making as some of the others

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
7 goals and 5 assist in 9 games. Played 675 minutes. A point every 56 minutes for the U23. Despite his performances for the first team, he has been very good for the U23 and that is fantastic numbers from him. There is a player in there. No doubt.
Yeah, some people are just far too quick to judge a young player. Always maintained it's far too early to make a judgment on him.

Also, his hair is amazing. That buys him more time IMO.

AltiUn

Played well against Reading. Just needs a lot of experience. He’s nowhere near as mature in decision making as some of the others
Yeah, I've got little doubt about his talent but as you said his decision making shows his lack of experience. I'm not overly fond of loans but he's one of the lads here that could really benefit from one.

dutchred

Yeah, I've got little doubt about his talent but as you said his decision making shows his lack of experience. I'm not overly fond of loans but he's one of the lads here that could really benefit from one.
I would love for him to come to Holland on loan for a year. Not one of the top teams where the expectation is high but a team just below the top. Vitesse( but i think Chelsea have first option there), But AZ, Herreveen, Groningen might be decent choices

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I would love for him to come to Holland on loan for a year. Not one of the top teams where the expectation is high but a team just below the top. Vitesse( but i think Chelsea have first option there), But AZ, Herreveen, Groningen might be decent choices
Didn’t he turn that down?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Too good for the U23s but a deer in the headlights at Senior level. If anyone was crying out for a loan its Chong. I feel he should get a full year in the Championship, as opposed to anywhere foreign. It would be important to see him really having to struggle against the physicality of those defenders and if the team gets promoted, maybe go with them for their first year in the Prem. Henderson should be a blue print for some of these lads.

Chong has serious skill but he missed a full year due to injury and it really shows in his confidence when he plays at senior level. He has the skill and speed to be special, but I think he needs to get out there and prove it week in week out.

Okey

I'm really surprised he hasn't gone out on loan. Not sure what the plan is for his development.

Red00012

I'm really surprised he hasn't gone out on loan. Not sure what the plan is for his development.
There’s isn’t much point putting him out on loan if he’s leaving us in the summer.

Keirl

I think a loan would do him wonders. He’s shown so much in his development that even though performances for the first team haven’t been great he surely deserves a second chance. It seems that the expectation of playing for the first team just now is too much but with the right approach I still think he could come good.

I guess it comes down to him - if he signs on for a bit longer then we can give him that help, otherwise it looks like curtains here. It’s totally right that we wouldn’t have been loaning him out if he’s leaving for free in the summer.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I think it goes without saying, if he signs a new deal we need to get him out on loan. If he doesn't sign a new deal he can go and f himself :D

Okey

There’s isn’t much point putting him out on loan if he’s leaving us in the summer.
Oh well, there won't be many tears shed for him. I'd like to think the club are trying to keep him. If he won't stay, he can leave with our good wishes.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The lad will probably get two or three more chances(including one start) before the seasons out to show he can step up, and he's basically got to take one, if he does he'll probably get the contract he wants then be loaned out next season, if he doesn't the club will wish him well and move on with few regrets.

Red_toad

The lad will probably get two or three more chances(including one start) before the seasons out to show he can step up, and he's basically got to take one, if he does he'll probably get the contract he wants then be loaned out next season, if he doesn't the club will wish him well and move on with few regrets.
He’s after 5 year 100k a week if reports are true. He won’t get anywhere near that.

kundalini

He’s after 5 year 100k a week if reports are true. He won’t get anywhere near that.
Inter's latest contract offer to Chong, as reported by the Italian media, seems to be the equivalent of £2.3m per year starting salary, rising slightly over a 5 year period (they quote 1.5m euros net - so after the tax has been taken off, the initial offer was 1.2m euros net). They are also willing to offer his agent about 1.8m euros for facilitating the deal. Chong's agent has asked for 2m euros net in the first year of the deal, rising to 3m euros net, with 7m euros as his facilitation fee, though apparently he may have reduced that figure to 4.5m euros in the latest round of negotiations. Unlike english teams, clubs in Italy reveal the basic salary of each first team player net of tax. La Gazzetta Dello Sport publishes all the figures in the first month of the season. For instance, Parma are paying Darmian 1.5m euros net, while Smalling gets 3m euros net, Sanchez 5m euros net.

Anyway, £2m to £2.5m is about the salary United pay to Pereira, Dan James, Dalot, McTominay. United's offer to Chong is far more likely to be about £1m a year, regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season. If he was starting PL games on merit then United might be willing to match the figures Inter are apparently offering.

Inter plan to send Tahith out on loan, possibly to Jiangsu Suning, who Inter's owners have links to. They noticed him when he performed well against them in pre-season.

https://sempreinter.com/2020/02/10/...ith-manchester-united-youngster-tahith-chong/

Last edited: