Takumi Minamino / signs for Liverpool. Transfer 1st January

Suedesi

Most likely what happened is the player preferred destination was Liverpool, and that’s that.

But somehow the fake news media will spin a narrative that every other club interested in him was incompetent and didn’t know what they were doing.

zenith

Don't know much about this guy but from a cursory look it appears to be smart business for pool, given the price.

I hope we are also watching similarly talented players and are not stuck in our old philosophy of paying over the odds fee, wages and commission on players who are not that bothered coming here and are basically just flavor of the season.

dasty

It's easy to look good playing for by far the best and richest team of the Austrian League that had won 6 league titles in a row and 10 titles in the last 13 years.

Not denying his talent, but having a meltdown just because we missed out on his signing is pathetic. If he is as good as touted, so good that Liverpool players lined up to beg Klopp to sign him (??????), he wouldn't be playing in a third grade league until he is almost 25.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It’s horseshit that other clubs such as Moenchengladbach were unaware of the release clause. Marco Rose was the manager of Salzburg last year and the notion that he’d be unaware of such a release clause for one of the players he managed is horseshit.
True.

mav_9me

It’s horseshit that other clubs such as Moenchengladbach were unaware of the release clause. Marco Rose was the manager of Salzburg last year and the notion that he’d be unaware of such a release clause for one of the players he managed is horseshit.
Good point well made.

Journalists and websites use this kind of hype /positive articles all the time preying on fans who then lap it up. Applies to all fans.

I'm sure there is and will be articles about how united got James and how united were brilliant and pick out some obscure thing to credit us.

passing-wind

Jadon Sancho is our RW target. And now everyone are moaning about Liverpools great business over a guy very few of you knew who the hell was 3 daysa go?

I'll take Jadon for £100m easy for the next 7-10 years.
It's wishful thinking to have Sancho here. It's very dependable on us getting too four as well as convincing him to join us ahead of the long que it clubs supposedly interested in his signature.

prateik

I'm gutted we missed out on a player I had no idea existed till a couple of days ago and who we werent interested in signing..

Someone hand me my pitchfork.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm gutted we missed out on a player I had no idea existed till a couple of days ago and who we werent interested in signing..

Someone hand me my pitchfork.
Liverpool signs that player for 12m. We sign Haaland for 20-50m. Fans = Outrage. One week ago switch the club names, same thing happens. I'll never get it.

AkaAkuma

I'd assume the reports of Haaland having a low release clause have some foundation based on Minamino having one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell, Trump level (or insert any politician) propaganda by Liverpool here.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of fuss about a player from the Austrian league. I bet none of us have seen him in more than two games in which he was decent. Or even heard about him until three days ago. 7m makes it a pretty risk free transfer but whether he's this major talent remains to be seen.

Hoping he’s the next Son, obviously, and the fact that Klopp’s manager makes me optimistic.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How have we 'missed out' on his signing? :lol: What a joke!

He's not what we need immediately. We need a creative CM and a better DM.
I'd have Mwepu over him any day

Inigo Montoya

A lot of fuss about a player from the Austrian league. I bet none of us have seen him in more than two games in which he was decent. Or even heard about him until three days ago. 7m makes it a pretty risk free transfer but whether he's this major talent remains to be seen.

Hoping he’s the next Son, obviously, and the fact that Klopp’s manager makes me optimistic.
He really won't be

KekiZeki

Don't get worked up about this guy, he's just a shirt seller for Liverpool. They have no asian players and want to tap in to that market before their new Nike deal kicks in. We have had plenty of shirt sellers, we need immediate effect guys and he isn't it.

RoyH1

I've only seen him play in the CL so it's hard to say if he'll ever be more than a squad player at LFC. But at 7 million you cannot argue with the signing. It's peanuts for a big club. Just imagine the shirt sales in Japan.

If Woodie had any sense, he'd establish a small office with law students scouring the contracts of players all over Europe checking for obscure release clauses and entering them in a database.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Don't get worked up about this guy, he's just a shirt seller for Liverpool. They have no asian players and want to tap in to that market before their new Nike deal kicks in. We have had plenty of shirt sellers, we need immediate effect guys and he isn't it.
Can't deny that commercial interests would have played a part in the decision. Though strongly disagree that he won't have an immediate effect. He is not really a youth player who has a lot to develop.
This video talks more about the asian football commercial revenue:

riis

Supports
Liverpool
What the feck were they thinking leaving a 7m release clause on someone?
The player probably insisted and it's still 10 times the amount they paid for him.

Last edited:

Zoo

Just imagine this place if United were on the verge of signing this guy whilst Liverpool remained strong contenders for Jadon Sancho.

Dolf

Don't really see anything special in him. He works hard but he doesn't have the quality to play in the PL.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Liverpool signs that player for 12m. We sign Haaland for 20-50m. Fans = Outrage. One week ago switch the club names, same thing happens. I'll never get it.
People have to lose their minds every time another club sign a player. Happens every transfer window.

KekiZeki

People have to lose their minds every time another club sign a player. Happens every transfer window.
Exactly. It's not about who you sign, most of the time, it's about what you do with those you signed. Of course there are some obvious great picks as well as clearly terrible ones, but even if Minamino does well at Liverpool doesn't mean he'd do the same for us right away. Liverpool is long way ahead in making their team a finished product, Ole is only starting here, but we've seen some good that can be achieved once players get some confidence in their own abilities. It will take time, but we need to sort ourselves out from within, I have full confidence Soslkjaer won't waste money left and right as Mourinho did, and that in itself is a step forward.

Inigo Montoya

Don't really see anything special in him. He works hard but he doesn't have the quality to play in the PL.
Too quick to dismiss him aren't we?

With Klopp at the helm he could really flourish or he may go the way of Kagawa. At 7.5 million it's a no loss

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd assume the reports of Haaland having a low release clause have some foundation based on Minamino having one.
That's a good point actually. I always dismissed it, but I guess it's their way of getting young talent to join them.

Unbelievable deal if true.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not gonna lie, never seen him play but that fact that pool have signed him just means he's probably a good player given their recent business and I do feel like our scouts should have made a better decision. Time will tell.

Ekeke

Salzburg are clearly lying about his contract and trolling Liverpool. This forum has told me for years you can't get a decent player for less than £50 million

Damon1559

I wonder if a lot of teams were in for him and he chose his destination via Gini, Mini, Mane, Mo :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Salzburg are clearly lying about his contract and trolling Liverpool. This forum has told me for years you can't get a decent player for less than £50 million
There's many many players that could be bought for well under £50m that would more than improve us. But for some reason there's people on here who have it in their head that quality players can only be bought for ridiculous fees.

Last edited:

manc4red

This is good business for liverpool. 7 mil cant even buy an average to decent prospect these days. Mini has played and have experience in the CL and has the work rate

i think he needs to bulk up to survive the prem thought. He will need time go adjust

Alabaster Codify7

I think he'll be a shrewd signing for them. Nothing amazing but a tidy squad option who will chip in with a few goals and assists.

beingshe7don

I expect Minamoto to have a similar impact as Daniel James for us. Also, expectations and pressure won't be high considering they already have a world class team who are performing. He'll probably be a backup for Firmino.