Tammy Abraham - Roma Striker

Red_toad

Looking at Tammy's figures they are better than Greenwood's. Do you not find that a bit concerning? Would Chelsea be playing Greenwood at the moment or would they have lost patience and moved him on?

I think as a club you are ruthless and that's fine. You very much run your academy like a business. You've brought in alot of money this summer but have actually let a number of talented young players leave the club. Not deadwood.

Maybe I'm just sentimental but it's a big part of United's DNA to give opportunities to young players and something I really love to see. I know other clubs do things differently but seeing that Instagram post from Tammy was really sad and I'm pretty sure most Chelsea fans would rather see him banging goals in instead of Werner. He could have learnt a fair bit from Lukaku too.
Not really comparable when ones generally a wide forward and the others the main striker.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A decent goalscorer is like gold-dust. Just because Abraham wasn't as silky on the ball, he seemed to have gotten written off by a lot of hipster snobs.

He's a good player who'll score a lot of goals in Italy. Then he'll probably come back to the PL where he'll carry on scoring a lot of goals. Good luck to the lad while he's out there.

I think he got underrated at Chelsea because he wasn't one of the world's best. At any other club, he would have been seen much more fairly. There's probably not a lot between him and DCL, for instance.
I don't know if the stats back this up, but Tammy always felt like a streaky kind of goalscorer. In Lampard's first season, I think he scored something like 90% of his goals in the first half of the season, but you're right, people were talking about him as if he has no place at the top level.

Tammy did everything right - he killed it in the youth team, killed it when he was sent on loan, came back and gave it the absolute max at Chelsea and was pretty good, but OK it wasn't quite enough to be a starter here but he did enough to convince another big CL level club to drop £35m on him, and he's now gone there and hit the ground running. That's about as perfect career progression as you can possibly have.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I was 1 of the Arsenal supporters disappointed we didn't sign Tammy. While parts of his game looked a bit raw, he still seemed to offer something that we lacked up top. For his improvement, a season or 2 in Italy will probably do him the world of good.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was 1 of the Arsenal supporters disappointed we didn't sign Tammy. While parts of his game looked a bit raw, he still seemed to offer something that we lacked up top. For his improvement, a season or 2 in Italy will probably do him the world of good.
No disrespect to Arsenal, but your team looks utterly dysfunctional and the manager is completely out of depth. I think you'd have likely dragged him down and hindered his progression. From a rivalry standpoint, I'd have hated to see him at Arsenal, but also just as a Tammy fan in general, I'm happy for him that he's gone to a much more structured environment with a much better team than what Arsenal could offer him.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He’ll bang over there and come back to England before his next deal. Strange move for him really. He could have found a PL club.
What? He now lives in Rome playing for a huge club. Unless he got a gig at United, Liverpool, City or Chelsea, he’s living his best life.

English people have such small dreams.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
No disrespect to Arsenal, but your team looks utterly dysfunctional and the manager is completely out of depth. I think you'd have likely dragged him down and hindered his progression. From a rivalry standpoint, I'd have hated to see him at Arsenal, but also just as a Tammy fan in general, I'm happy for him that he's gone to a much more structured environment with a much better team than what Arsenal could offer him.
I understand that fully. For what it's worth, I think we look disfunctional because we are exactly that just now, especially in defence with our main centre backs being out.

I fully expect a marked improvement over the next few games with Gabriel, White & Partey being reintroduced, & hopefully we can start to play a settled team & system. If that doesn't happen, Arteta will be out.

I do agree with you, that throwing Tammy into that Arsenal team would have done him no favours mind you. I just hope that's not our true level.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Living in Rome, playing for a top Italien club, doesn’t sound at all strange to me.
Great move, great experience.
It always becomes a source of amazement for me that very few English players want to try living in cities like Rome, Valencia, Berlin, Milan etc for a few years. I guess now people will point to the PL being where the money is but it was even worse in the 90s when Serie A was king.

It always becomes a source of amazement for me that very few English players want to try living in cities like Rome, Valencia, Berlin, Milan etc for a few years. I guess now people will point to the PL being where the money is but it was even worse in the 90s when Serie A was king.
That amazes me too, but then people questioning ”why would he want to go live in one of the World’s most beautiful cities with a great climate, one of the greatest cultures, food and wine in the World and be a hero of a top club” amazes me more.

Yes the Premier League is the best, but give me a choice of Leicester or Rome and I know which one I’m taking.

Rossa

That amazes me too, but then people questioning ”why would he want to go live in one of the World’s most beautiful cities with a great climate, one of the greatest cultures, food and wine in the World and be a hero of a top club” amazes me more.

Yes the Premier League is the best, but give me a choice of Leicester or Rome and I know which one I’m taking.
Never been to Leicester, but Rome is wonderful. I too am amazed that there seems to be so much grudge and bias against players wanting to ply their trade in another country. Hell, even if I, as a United fan, were given the opportunity to live in Rome, or Madrid, or hell even some beautiful place in Greece, why the heck not. Sure the PL is the best/most sought after league, but playing for Burnley or playing for Rome?...

EngimaMK

People on here suggesting Tammy is better than Greenwood. Or undermining Greenwood.

fecking hell. He is a fecking sensational talent. Yet people saying we should do a Chelsea with him.

Damn football fans....

El-Manos

I understand that fully. For what it's worth, I think we look disfunctional because we are exactly that just now, especially in defence with our main centre backs being out.

I fully expect a marked improvement over the next few games with Gabriel, White & Partey being reintroduced, & hopefully we can start to play a settled team & system. If that doesn't happen, Arteta will be out.

I do agree with you, that throwing Tammy into that Arsenal team would have done him no favours mind you. I just hope that's not our true level.
how is he actually getting on? I haven’t seen much of Arsenal so I wouldn’t have a clue.

cyberman

But rich footballers aren’t hanging out in Stockport. They aren’t down the Dog and Duck for a fry.
Tammy (for example) can get Italian food as good as any in Rome while staying in London, better French food than you get in Valencia etc all in one place.
While they jet set around the world on days off anyway. These places aren’t as exotic to millionaires as they are to the rest of us

EngimaMK

What? He now lives in Rome playing for a huge club. Unless he got a gig at United, Liverpool, City or Chelsea, he’s living his best life.

English people have such small dreams.
Way to disparage a whole nation of people with trite nonsense.

Change that to any other nation or race and you'd rightly be castigated as an insulting moron.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
how is he actually getting on? I haven’t seen much of Arsenal so I wouldn’t have a clue.
Struggled with injuries since hes joined, which has stopped him picking up any sort of momentum form wise.

Got a full pre season, was looking quite sharp, then got injured in a tackle vs Chelsea. Will be back in full training during the international break.

People might not think he has lived up to the hype, but he is our best midfielder, likewise Gabriel is our best defender, so we would miss them.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Way to disparage a whole nation of people with trite nonsense.

Change that to any other nation or race and you'd rightly be castigated as an insulting moron.
We really are. We have this weird attitude that sees the vast majority of us never live and work overseas. We don’t learn second languages. We often holiday in places that speak English and marvel at how easy it was because of that.

Tammy Abraham has just gone to live in Rome ffs. People are suggesting he could have had a better life by choosing Leicester or West Ham.

To your ‘change that to any other race or nation…’. In broad strokes, Americans mostly have small dreams. This tub thumping moronic national psyche of ‘Here is best’.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Tammy (for example) can get Italian food as good as any in Rome while staying in London, better French food than you get in Valencia etc all in one place.
While they jet set around the world on days off anyway. These places aren’t as exotic to millionaires as they are to the rest of us
What utter tripe. Every single word of that is ridiculous.

Of course it’s easy to be a culture vulture. The only way you can eat & live Italian culture is to live and work in Italy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

And you replied with "English people have such small dreams". Who were you talking about if not the person you quoted?
Well it’s true I assumed he was English. But yes, he has views common to the majority of English people.

The non-snitty point remains, too many people look at the PL as the apex of football. It certainly can be if you’re at a top club challenging for honours. But young English players would do well to look overseas rather than trying to secure an average PL offer. That’s the point.

cyberman

What utter tripe. Every single word of that is ridiculous.

Of course it’s easy to be a culture vulture. The only way you can eat & live Italian culture is to live and work in Italy.
You can have 5 star Italian food in London, what’s so ridiculous about that? A millionaires experience of London and Milan Is different to you and I and it’s not just English players who don’t take the leap. It’s England who are known for having such a diverse league so it’s other nationalities choosing the English, cloudy shores over Milan etc as well.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I feel like Tammy is betraying the Brexit project by moving abroad.

He should Come Home™ - doesn't he realise that his place will be taken by a foreigner?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I feel like Tammy is betraying the Brexit project by moving abroad.

He should Come Home™ - doesn't he realise that his place will be taken by a foreigner?
Tammy is a Londoner. We voted pretty overwhelmingly to remain.

It was the rest of England who fecked it for us civilised people!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well it’s true I assumed he was English. But yes, he has views common to the majority of English people.

The non-snitty point remains, too many people look at the PL as the apex of football. It certainly can be if you’re at a top club challenging for honours. But young English players would do well to look overseas rather than trying to secure an average PL offer. That’s the point.
Why? If I'm not wrong there are around 10 English clubs in the top 20 richest clubs and also in the top 20 clubs that pays highest wages. Average PL player will be paid lot of money in PL compared to other leagues, when that's the case why should they leave unless it's the cases like Sancho, Bellingham who left to play for first team football at top club (from lower league/academy to first team football in top league).

If it's a choice between midtable PL clubs who won't win anything vs midtable club from other league who won't win anything, it's easy choice for English players.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You can have 5 star Italian food in London, what’s so ridiculous about that? A millionaires experience of London and Milan Is different to you and I and it’s not just English players who don’t take the leap. It’s England who are known for having such a diverse league so it’s other nationalities choosing the English, cloudy shores over Milan etc as well.
Wait, what now? How on earth is that your conclusion?

- There are French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French players everywhere.
- There are a handful of English players based outside of England.

Also, you do know that principally working-class Millionaires are EXACTLY like you and I? Premier League footballers still go to Nandos ffs. The idea that you can eat as well day to day in England vs France or Italy is just wrong. Beyond that, I didn’t make a point specifically on food. Of course you can find expensive great food everywhere. The wider point is that English footballers don’t travel. Despite it being very easy.

It’s such a good life. To be able to snap your fingers every three years and have an army of people find you a job, apartment, cook, cleaner, language coach in a new country and set you up. It’s incredible. To bumble along at Southampton or West Ham rather than even try… it’s a real shame.

BerryBerryShrew

Looking at Tammy's figures they are better than Greenwood's. Do you not find that a bit concerning? Would Chelsea be playing Greenwood at the moment or would they have lost patience and moved him on?

I think as a club you are ruthless and that's fine. You very much run your academy like a business. You've brought in alot of money this summer but have actually let a number of talented young players leave the club. Not deadwood.

Maybe I'm just sentimental but it's a big part of United's DNA to give opportunities to young players and something I really love to see. I know other clubs do things differently but seeing that Instagram post from Tammy was really sad and I'm pretty sure most Chelsea fans would rather see him banging goals in instead of Werner. He could have learnt a fair bit from Lukaku too.
Agreed- I was always under the impression that Tammy's pointing technique was suboptimal.

TheReligion

Abusive

To be fair your comment to @Ali Dia was daft. You could have made your point without being an idiot.

But rich footballers aren’t hanging out in Stockport. They aren’t down the Dog and Duck for a fry.
Get out. What an absolutely ridiculous post.

Manchester has what? 152 days of rain a year? Try eating a nice Italian outdoor at 10pm in that. He can have a 5 star Italian meal most of the year outdoors in late warm weather, looking at the fecking Colosseum.
I can go to an amazing Thai in London, in fact, my favorite Korean is just opposite the Apollo Theatre, absolutely outstanding food, I guess I can give Seoul or Bangkok a miss.

Going to a nice Italian in London isn't the fecking same as going to a nice Italian in Rome for fecks sake, for anyone, hence why private jets exist. Living a proper Italien lifestyle bizarrely enough requires living in Italy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's because very few even got the chance. Italian football in the 90s saw the PL in much the same way the caf sees the ligue1/bundesliga/serie A now. There was genuine belief that the 10th best team in the country would win the PL at a canter...

Plus, the 80s left a stigma against british players in italy. The thinking was they couldn't adapt to the league, nor the country

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Get out. What an absolutely ridiculous post.

Manchester has what? 152 days of rain a year? Try eating a nice Italian outdoor at 10pm in that. He can have a 5 star Italian meal most of the year outdoors in late warm weather, looking at the fecking Colosseum.
I can go to an amazing Thai in London, in fact, my favorite Korean is just opposite the Apollo Theatre, absolutely outstanding food, I guess I can give Seoul or Bangkok a miss.

Going to a nice Italian in London isn't the fecking same as going to a nice Italian in Rome for fecks sake, for anyone, hence why private jets exist. Living a proper Italien lifestyle bizarrely enough requires living in Italy.
Ive had better Italian food in Boston Massachusetts then i have had in Milan and Rome. If fecking Boston can have better Italian food then so can London. Just do some research.

RooneyLegend

The guy is a natural goal scorer and now he doesn't have to face the physical defenders of the prem. Jose should buy him Hudson Odoi for more supply.

Cultured left ankle

There are some bizarre takes in here... do those saying they can get a decent pizza in Leicester or wherever realise that the food is only a part of the experience of the lifestyle?

I mean I had worse curries on a beach in Sri Lanka, for example, than some mad expensive sit-down restaurant in London or wherever, but I'd take the former any day of the week.

Plus, the 80s left a stigma against british players in italy. The thinking was they couldn't adapt to the league, nor the country
I wonder if it's also because British players tend not to become idols or the team's top performers wherever they travel? Plus they don't tend to stick around for long. I can't think of too many examples of British 'legends' who played in foreign leagues off the top of my head.