Tariq Lamptey

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not dropping, but AWB can’t play another 60 games again this year the poor lad was out on his feet towards the end of the season.

He’s been lined up as the heir to the RB position for years at united but he’s struggled to get any consistency due to injuries
What happened to that Dalot kid you signed for 20 million? I thought he was the next big thing? You don't really want 3 right backs all around 19-22 years old.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What happened to that Dalot kid you signed for 20 million? I thought he was the next big thing? You don't really want 3 right backs all around 19-22 years old.
He can't defend to save his life unfortunately. He's decent going forward but yet again another that's struggled for injuries after initially impressing.

The last few times he got a chance to play he just gets skinned every time. There's talk he wants to leave but Ole won't let him.

Williams seems to be being preferred as a right back now also, and we are on the verge of signing Reguilon from Real Madrid as a LB, so think they'll find it hard to get chances.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He was injured during pre-season and played some games right before the covid break. Been out for almost a year total since joining.

Nickelodeon

Killing it currently. Won the penalty. Assisted the assister in the second goal. Continuously beating the players. Shelvey and Lewis booked for brutal challenges on him and just made a wonderful last ditch challenge. All in 28 mins.

What a player

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Shame he wanted to leave Chelsea as I know Frank rated him highly. Lack of game time was the main reason but you had Azpi our captain ahead of him and Wigan’s POTY Reece James deserved a chance. Barring any injuries both Lamptey and James will have terrific careers.

croadyman

Cracking little player who I would definitely welcome at Old Trafford as an attacking alternative at RB

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks a terrific young player. I think this is just the sort of right back we need to sign. Quick, tenacious, and great on the ball. Also, I don't think having AWB should disable us from signing a LB for the next decade. He's average on the ball and an alternative who can really hurt defences would be excellent.

Looks like someone who could be devastating in a top team. Obviously could be wrong and he won't kick on but the potentially seems to be there.

amolbhatia50k

He's been a let down and will probably be sold soon. Don't know why he was considered the next big thing. It's only based on Mourinho that everyone felt that.

I'd have no issue with Lamptey and AWB being our attacking and defensive options.

SambaBoy

Wouldn't mind us spending big on both him and Ben White. Haven't really seen Ben White in a defensive sense too much, but looks like he covers the position well and some of distribution has been fantastic in the small sample size I've seen.

Lamptey has looked top class since he's starting playing for Brighton. Unsure as to what position he will end up in long-term, definitely got the ability to play as a winger but for a small guy he throws himself about and is very strong.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Wouldn't mind us spending big on both him and Ben White. Haven't really seen Ben White in a defensive sense too much, but looks like he covers the position well and some of distribution has been fantastic in the small sample size I've seen.

Lamptey has looked top class since he's starting playing for Brighton. Unsure as to what position he will end up in long-term, definitely got the ability to play as a winger but for a small guy he throws himself about and is very strong.
We'll be mostly playing him as right wing back, it suits him brilliantly. One of the reasons we're playing three at the back is to accommodate both him and White. They have both looked excellent so far.

gajender

He's been a let down and will probably be sold soon. Don't know why he was considered the next big thing. It's only based on Mourinho that everyone felt that.

I'd have no issue with Lamptey and AWB being our attacking and defensive options.
Dalot was considered an elite talent at youth level it wasn't just Mourinho who rated him but as you said he hasn't developed as expected and hasn't exactly shown great promise with us to persist further time to move him on.

Lamptey looks great but don't we have Laird who is similar profile RB coming through our ranks and if we get another LB this season as touted and move Williams to compete with Wan Bissaka we would suddenly have 3 youngsters for the same position and adding another one won't be prudent use of our transfer funds unless we sell another one alongside Dalot.

amolbhatia50k

Dalot was considered an elite talent at youth level it wasn't just Mourinho who rated him but as you said he hasn't developed as expected and hasn't exactly shown great promise with us to persist further time to move him on.

Lamptey looks great but don't we have Laird who is similar profile RB coming through our ranks and if we get another LB this season as touted and move Williams to compete with Wan Bissaka we would suddenly have 3 youngsters for the same position and adding another one won't be prudent use of our transfer funds unless we sell another one alongside Dalot.
Problem with Dalot is that he's never looked a huge talent playing for us. It happens with many young players who can't make the step up. I mean, I can't see the raw natural with him at all.

Would you say Laird is as big a talent as Lamptey? I think Williams is decent but not outstanding as far as young players go.

Classical Mechanic

Problem with Dalot is that he's never looked a huge talent playing for us. It happens with many young players who can't make the step up. I mean, I can't see the raw natural with him at all.

Would you say Laird is as big a talent as Lamptey? I think Williams is decent but not outstanding as far as young players go.
Laird at youth level is similar level to Lamptey for sure. Laird is a brilliant attacking full back. He's always injured though so don't get too excited.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Looks a terrific young player. I think this is just the sort of right back we need to sign. Quick, tenacious, and great on the ball. Also, I don't think having AWB should disable us from signing a LB for the next decade. He's average on the ball and an alternative who can really hurt defences would be excellent.

Looks like someone who could be devastating in a top team. Obviously could be wrong and he won't kick on but the potentially seems to be there.
Not sure what AWB & LB have got in common?

lRed

I think he meant RB.
I've been very impressed by his 2 last matches with Brighton, just like Brighton itself. (e.g White, Bissouma, Trossard, Connolly)
We should keep an eye on him, not the same profile as Bissaka. Will depend on Laird developement too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Brighton will make an absolute killing on him in a year or two if he keeps these performances up

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Brighton will make an absolute killing on him in a year or two if he keeps these performances up
Do Chelsea have a buy-back option? These seem to be the new loan models for players.

Wonder if AWB being played on the right side of a back 3 with someone like this on the RW could hypothetically work.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's too small unless you want him just as a wing back. That's why Brighton aren't playing him at RB.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's too small unless you want him just as a wing back. That's why Brighton aren't playing him at RB.
He could play as a winger, but to be fair there have been quite a lot of successful short full backs who have played in back 4s.

TwoSheds

He could play as a winger, but to be fair there have been quite a lot of successful short full backs who have played in back 4s.
He's played as a winger for Brighton last year and mostly got the hook. I like him and I think he'll keep improving too but he's 5'4 and that is a genuine disadvantage for him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's played as a winger for Brighton last year and mostly got the hook. I like him and I think he'll keep improving too but he's 5'4 and that is a genuine disadvantage for him.
I think the only disadvantage is with heading however you rarely see long balls being played to wingers out wide to win headers. He seems quite tenacious and strong and haven't seen him get physically bullied yet.

TwoSheds

I think the only disadvantage is with heading however you rarely see long balls being played to wingers out wide to win headers. He seems quite tenacious and strong and haven't seen him get physically bullied yet.
Against him you see it a lot. It's just not really a problem when he's got 3 CBs behind him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's a big shame that he was making his breakthrough at the exact same time as Reece James.

saivet

His height would be a concern at right back but I think a bigger reason is that they have 3 good centre backs in Dunk, Webster and White. If they play flat back four I think he will play at RB and it would be interesting to see how he does, though as it stands him at wing back and the 3 centre backs makes the most sense.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Too small to defend corners.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The biggest vulnerability as part of a back four is defending crosses to the back post. You can't really cover for the RB on those balls in a four man defense. The CBs can't get over, you can't expect a midfielder to drop back into those positions. If you have a 5'4" RB you will have lots of mid-to-low table Premier League opponents whose main strategy will be crossing the ball to the back post and looking for either headers on goal or knockdowns. And that's one of their main strategies anyway so they're good at it.

Infestissumam

they rejected high bids for White, but entertain bids for Lamptey? Utter BS surely. They'd be mad to sell him, he'll be worth a ton of money in a year or so.

Ekeke

Had one good moment against us with a nice pass, but was largely ineffective on the right. But thats where he plays, wide right of a 3-4-3. Was nowhere to be seen when Rashford went past his RCB twice to score.