Television Taskmaster | Season 17 now airing

decorativeed

I keep trying to watch this but can't get past the first season as I can't stand Romesh and don't know how he ever earned the title of 'comedian'.
But the bit with Romesh and the watermelon is one of the best moments in the show for me.

Maybe skip to the second series?

Bertie Wooster

I keep trying to watch this but can't get past the first season as I can't stand Romesh and don't know how he ever earned the title of 'comedian'.
That's so avoidable.
If you disliked Greg or Alex it'd be a problem, as they appear in every episode of every series. But Romesh never appears again after series 1, and each series is complete within itself, so just skip to the start of series 2 - or look at the list of contestants for each series and pick the group you like the look of most as a starting off point to see if you like the show.

I absolutely love it, and regularly rewatch the first 7 series and will definitely be adding this quality series to the list.

Nico87

Wozniak’s great but for me Hugh Dennis is still the best contestant ever. Most of the one’s who are terrible are so due to deliberately making no effort, so watching somebody try hard and fail due to incompetence and have Greg mercilessly berate them was brilliant. His painting of a fat bald white man is still my favourite Taskmaster moment.

decorativeed

That's so avoidable.
If you disliked Greg or Alex it'd be a problem, as they appear in every episode of every series. But Romesh never appears again after series 1, and each series is complete within itself, so just skip to the start of series 2 - or look at the list of contestants for each series and pick the group you like the look of most as a starting off point to see if you like the show.

I absolutely love it, and regularly rewatch the first 7 series and will definitely be adding this quality series to the list.
I also went into series not liking some of the contestants, but I don't think there are any I dislike now. I think Al Murray is a bit of a cheat with his use of cash, but that's about it. I wasn't a fan of James Acaster before Taskmaster, but now I love him. I really like Romesh, incidentally and I will watch almost anything he's in.

Bertie Wooster

I also went into series not liking some of the contestants, but I don't think there are any I dislike now. I think Al Murray is a bit of a cheat with his use of cash, but that's about it. I wasn't a fan of James Acaster before Taskmaster, but now I love him. I really like Romesh, incidentally and I will watch almost anything he's in.
Yeah, good point.
I think the only contestant who I disliked going into the show, and disliked just as much after it, was Aisling Bea. I think she's awful, and she was my least favourite contestant they've had on so far.

The others I've not been as fond of beforehand - Nish Kumar, Iain Stirling, Kerry Godliman - were a lot more bearable than expected on the show (especially Nish). So it's definitely always worth giving it a go even if you don't like the sound of the group, or one or two in it (Nish and Aisling in the same series sounded a nightmare, but Nish was all right and Bob Mortimer, Mark Watson and Sally Phillips were brilliant so it was one of the best series so far, despite Aisling Bea being there).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Wozniak closing in on Kendall. Hope he wins it.
9 points off with one episode to go - think it is pretty much insurmountable as Kendall doesn't really have disastrous episodes. Think Greg Davies has been scoring her a bit lower than usual to try and make the final a bit more suspenseful but think she's won it.

The yoghurt task was a simple one but has become one of my favourites. Knew that when they were grouped together in the highlights that they would either have done amazingly good or amazingly bad and it didn't disappoint. Really enjoyable series - just wonder whether when filming the tasks, they had Jamali do the island one last. If not, then it must have been a pain to get another one done/fix his destruction.

lsd

The Oracle
Next line up leaked but will be shown end of this one anyway

Bertie Wooster

That was a great series.
But disappointed that the dull Sarah won and will be in the champion of champions series instead of the wonderful Lee or Mike.

It's like when Liza Tarbuck won ahead of the brilliant Tim Vine. I'm not particularly bothered about the 'winning' part of the light hearted show. It's the fact that I miss out on seeing the much funnier competitors again in the champion of champions episodes.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That was a quick contestant reveal. I saw Alan Davies, Morgana Robinson and Victoria Coren-Mitchell but didn’t recognise the other two.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
that series grew on me. Really enjoyed it!

Davies be a good one I think in the new series. Always enjoyed him in QI

Bertie Wooster

A mixed bag for series 12.

I've been wanting Victoria Coren Mitchell to be on Taskmaster for ages, so I'm delighted about that. Alan Davies has decent potential as well.

I don't know anything about Guz Khan, I'm not keen on Morgana Robinson - or any impressionists tbh; and I dislike Desiree Burch who I find way too loud and unfunny on everything I've seen her on.

But, still, delighted to see the lovely VCM on the show. And hopefully David Mitchell will be on in a future series as well.

lsd

The Oracle
That was a quick contestant reveal. I saw Alan Davies, Morgana Robinson and Victoria Coren-Mitchell but didn’t recognise the other two.

Guz Khan from man like mobeen on channel four pretty funny. Alan Davies should be amazing and i would expect the others to be pretty funny.

Doesn't look like we will ever get Richard Ayoade

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It was only when watching this season of Taskmaster that I realised Jamali Maddix and Guz Khan were different people, as only ever saw him on WILTY and they have similar confrontational energy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Found Jamali annoying at the start but did a complete 180 on him by the end.

CallyRed

I do like Guz Khan and Man like Mobeen was good.

Alan Davies can be a bit annoying on QI

Bertie Wooster

Guz Khan from man like mobeen on channel four pretty funny. Alan Davies should be amazing and i would expect the others to be pretty funny.

Doesn't look like we will ever get Richard Ayoade
I'd love him to be on.
Victoria Coren Mitchell, David Mitchell, Richard Ayoade and Milton Jones are four of the ones that haven't yet been out that I've been hoping for. So great to see VCM on this one at least.

hobbers

Victoria and Alan Davies excellent. Only seen Guz Khan on a couple of random panel shows but seems alright. Morgana Robinson is a rubbish impressionist but will hopefully stay out of character.

Desiree Burch is loud and painfully unfunny, will be a chore to watch, most of the interactions will just be her not understanding British humour.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Surely Wozniak goes down as the greatest contestant ever. Two of the most iconic Taskmaster moments easily between the hemorrhoid and mohawk.

Bertie Wooster

Worst winner ever?
Yeah, I'd definitely say so.
For an apparent comedian, on a comedy style show, she barely made any attempt to be funny and just took a very straight, dull approach to the tasks.

Before that, my least favourite winner was Kerry Godliman. But that was more because I, personally, found her loud and hard work, but at least she made an effort to be funny and entertaining even if she's not for me.

Sarah was just deadly dull.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Worst winner ever?
For an apparent comedian, on a comedy style show, she barely made any attempt to be funny and just took a very straight, dull approach to the tasks.

Before that, my least favourite winner was Kerry Godliman. But that was more because I, personally, found her loud and hard work, but at least she made an effort to be funny and entertaining even if she's not for me.

She grew on me a bit in the later episodes personally but for me worst is between her and Tarbuck. To be fair though I found her a million miles more tolerable than Daisy May Cooper last series - if she'd won I'd have had her in a completely separate tier beneath every other winner.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

She grew on me a bit in the later episodes personally but for me worst is between her and Tarbuck. To be fair though I found her a million miles more tolerable than Daisy May Cooper last series - if she'd won I'd have had her in a completely separate tier beneath every other winner.
Yeah, I really try to give female comediens the benefit of the doubt, as we're rightly trying to promote them to the main stage, and ive also heard her podcast is quite funny, but I just didn't find her entertaining whatsoever.

Wozniak is tier 1 though.

hobbers

Wozniak not being in CoC 3 (if that ever happens) is an epic travesty regardless of how boring and unadventurous Sarah was. But it doesnt help that she was particularly boring and unadventurous.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I really try to give female comediens the benefit of the doubt, as we're rightly trying to promote them to the main stage, and ive also heard her podcast is quite funny, but I just didn't find her entertaining whatsoever.

I'm not sure those two sentences go together, TBH. Either they're good enough, and deserving; or they're not, and shouldn't be being pushed unduly.

If they're 'rightly being promoted to the main stage', then they're good enough and deserving and should be held to the same levels as the male comedians so no need to 'give them the benefit of the doubt.' Treat them the same and praise them when it's deserved, criticism them when it's deserved. If they're not good enough, so need to be judged to a lower standard in order to escape criticism, then they're not rightly on 'the main stage' and shouldn't be taking the place of more deserving performers.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Would say it's less to do with gender and more to do with willingness to throw yourself into the madness of the show - the best contestants are always the ones who don't take it too seriously and are willing to have a laugh at their own expense. I suppose that I can appreciate the argument that it might be more difficult for women to do that, but for me the best ones are marked by their willingness to go all in - Jess Knappett, Sally Phillips, and Mel Giedroyc spring to mind.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I agree about Daisy May Cooper. Although my least favourite of all contestants so far was Aisling Bea.

Just to avoid people harshly saying 'they're all women', I'll add that my least favourite men so far have been Iain Stirling and Mawaan Rizwan.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought it was one of the most likeable collection of contestants they've had. Even Sarah, straightforward though her approach was.

Mike Wozniak was particularly amazing though. Not many guys can pull off the moustache and the mohawk but he makes it look easy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I agree about Daisy May Cooper. Although my least favourite of all contestants so far was Aisling Bea.

Just to avoid people harshly saying 'they're all women', I'll add that my least favourite men so far have been Iain Stirling and Mawaan Rizwan.
I'm just glad the show has bounced back personally - wasn't a huge fan of series 8-10, with 9 and 10 standing out as being particularly mediocre in my mind. Very disappointing on the back of series 7, which still for me is the best one.

Obviously the cast being significantly better is the key improvement, but also think that bringing Tim Key in as a task consultant probably helped quite a bit as well.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Have only somehow started watching this recently.

Just watching random episodes from different series seems to work well enough. Bob Mortimer is made for this.