Television Taskmaster | Season 17 now airing

lsd

The Oracle
Almost time for the new season. High hopes for Victoria and Guz Khan

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Looks like perhaps Channel 4 aired the bleeped version by accident?

Bertie Wooster

Quite enjoyable first episode. :)

I was fully expecting to find Victoria my favourite and Desiree loud and annoying and my least favourite - and I did.

Alan Davies was OK but a bit meh in the first episode and maybe being set up to be the Hugh Dennis of the series? I didn't know much about Morgana or Guz - they seem OK, but not really my type of humour.

I'm not expecting any of them to be hilarious or standout contestants, but it should hopefully be a solid series.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pretty decent episode. Desiree on the balloon task :lol:

Bertie Wooster

Just been listening to an Alex Horne interview on the Hawksbee & Jacobs podcast.

I'm not sure how spoilers work on here but he as good as confirmed something about what Victoria Coren Mitchell's been wearing on some Only Connect episodes being connected to Taskmaster.

He also said Desiree Burch is 'enthusiastic and her volume is high but is also very funny'. She's not my type of humour so I'm not optimistic about the latter, but not surprising to have the former confirmed that I'm likely to find her overly loud and OTT for my liking - similar to Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Good to have it back. So far VCM hasn't irritated me @RedSky and I like Alan Davies' dignity hoodie. Called it that he'd be the one to pick the scissors straight off. Desiree knew that the scissors was the way to go but also knew that going for everything else first would be more entertaining which is good.

Series 10 and 11 were filmed partly in the pandemic restrictions and partly not, with there being some moments where you're like "this was definitely filmed after". This was filmed fully in the restrictions and the tasks have actually seemed more natural, probably as they've had more time to think out the tasks to fit rather than having existing tasks and having to modify them.

0le

I really enjoyed the first episode. Some laugh out moments and I enjoyed all of the guests. There already seems to be a good chemistry between them as well - maybe because the producers have got a much better handle of how to manage the show with regards to Covid restrictions.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really strong start to the season. Desiree had me in stitches with the shop task. How can someone's aim to THAT bad?

b82REZ

Enjoyed that. I expected VCM to be irritating but she was actually quite endearing.

I've never heard of Desiree but she seems alright. It's encouraging that she picked entertainment over winning in the balloon task.

Too early to say whether Alan Davies will perk up though. He seemed a bit flat.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoyed that. I expected VCM to be irritating but she was actually quite endearing.

I've never heard of Desiree but she seems alright. It's encouraging that she picked entertainment over winning in the balloon task.

Too early to say whether Alan Davies will perk up though. He seemed a bit flat.
Him and Richard Herring are entirely interchangeable. Don’t know why they still keep having that type on. So dull.

b82REZ

Him and Richard Herring are entirely interchangeable. Don’t know why they still keep having that type on. So dull.
They always have a middle aged contestant. But when you're last one was Wozniak it's a hard act to follow.

decorativeed

They always have a middle aged contestant. But when you're last one was Wozniak it's a hard act to follow.
If Wozniak was the middle aged contestant, what was Lee Mack? Mack is 11 years older than Wozniac and a year younger than Herring.

I'm touchy about this given Wozniak is only a year older than me. I'm not ready to be compared to Richard Herring age-wise!

b82REZ

If Wozniak was the middle aged contestant, what was Lee Mack? Mack is 11 years older than Wozniac and a year younger than Herring.

I'm touchy about this given Wozniak is only a year older than me. I'm not ready to be compared to Richard Herring age-wise!
I forgot about Mack, but he was far more lively than Alan Davies.

Wozniak is definitely middle-aged, you old bastird.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Bob Mortimer is the benchmark for the "old-bloke" contestant.

decorativeed

I forgot about Mack, but he was far more lively than Alan Davies.

Wozniak is definitely middle-aged, you old bastird.
He looks more middle aged than he is. And thankfully so far I've still not had any first had experiences like he had during that fart task.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't think that Mortimer fits into that category, he transcends it. The category itself is more of an old and lazy-ish git who just doesn't do things in the similar tempo and prefers easier options — not a crazy chaotic entity like Mortimer or Wozniak.
Hugh Dennis was probably the best contestant who still somehow fitted into that role. Baddiel, Herring (:(), Mack.

Bertie Wooster

I don't think that Mortimer fits into that category, he transcends it. The category itself is more of an old and lazy-ish git who just doesn't do things in the similar tempo and prefers easier options — not a crazy chaotic entity like Mortimer or Wozniak.
Hugh Dennis was probably the best contestant who still somehow fitted into that role. Baddiel, Herring (:(), Mack.
Good point. I wouldn't have really said Richard Herring fitted that group either, tbh - age wise, yeah, but he seemed really enthusiastic and keen to win. From that group I'd say Daisy May Cooper was the lazy, uninterested one (her pregnancy explains the lack of mobility - but not her seeming lack of interest or humour in the tasks and studio part). I'd also include Jo Brand and Paul Sinha - although Paul was more incompetent than uninterested).

As for a regular 'type' in the group, it's the loud, OTT ones who are usually my least favourite. It worked well with James Acaster, as he was loud for funny reasons that generated good scenarios. But the loud for loud sakes, whose main 'humour' is loudness, I soon find hard work - like Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, Aisling Bea, Johnny Vegas, Desiree Burch...

0le

Good point. I wouldn't have really said Richard Herring fitted that group either, tbh - age wise, yeah, but he seemed really enthusiastic and keen to win. From that group I'd say Daisy May Cooper was the lazy, uninterested one (her pregnancy explains the lack of mobility - but not her seeming lack of interest or humour in the tasks and studio part). I'd also include Jo Brand and Paul Sinha - although Paul was more incompetent than uninterested).

As for a regular 'type' in the group, it's the loud, OTT ones who are usually my least favourite. It worked well with James Acaster, as he was loud for funny reasons that generated good scenarios. But the loud for loud sakes, whose main 'humour' is loudness, I soon find hard work - like Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, Aisling Bea, Johnny Vegas, Desiree Burch...
Paul Sinha was diagnosed with Parkinson's and it more than likely affected his performances during Taskmaster.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Paul Sinha was diagnosed with Parkinson's and it more than likely affected his performances during Taskmaster.
That’s sad to hear. I didn’t know that. That series was difficult. It followed one of the best series and had two of the least likeable contestants (Lou sanders and Ian sterling) but by the end of it I enjoyed Paul. The trouble with that series was paul and the guy from the inbetweeners would have been good with different line ups but together they kinda sat on each other as the slightly awkward, quiet but genuinely funny kinda person.
I didn’t dislike Phil wang but I feel like you could have changed him with Paul or joe Thomas and it would have been as successful. I think the dynamics of the five is as important as how funny they are individually.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great news.

Really looking forward to it, and to see Victoria Coren Mitchell on it. Just a shame about Desiree Burch.
She's just not my kind of humour and although that's inevitable with panels of comedians, it's the ones who are loud and in your face that I find harder to put up with if I don't find them funny to begin with. I'd put Desiree Burch in that group. Same with Aisling Bea.

I'm sure some others will like them, and some will dislike ones that I like - and I wouldn't be puzzled by that as styles of comedy are subjective and many will have different favourites and least favourites. Desiree Burch's style is just one that I find overly loud and not particularly funny.
Yeah, I agree Taskmaster - and House of Games - gives a chance to see people whose humour you don't particularly like and yet warm to them a bit more regardless of that.

That happened with Nish Kumar and Rob Beckett with me. But it didn't work with Aisling Bea and Lou Sanders, who I found just as loud and annoying as I do on other shows. It also gives a chance to get a good idea about people you didn't know - I found out about Mike Wozniak and Charlotte Ritchie in the last series who I liked, but Mawaan Rizwan in the previous series was hard work.

As regards Desiree Burch, I imagine most will like her. She seems to be the type that's popular nowadays. It just depends on if you like that kind of loud humour. It's kind of like The Hundred in cricket - I didn't like it as it wasn't my type of thing, but I knew it would be popular as the loud, dumbed down nature of it was carefully and deliberately designed to fit the modern market. Desiree Burch is in a similar mould - not my type of thing, and I'm sure I'll find her hard work; but I expect she'll probably prove popular with plenty of viewers.
Completely agree about Stirling and Cooper - and obviously Bea, who I listed myself.

I was going to include Iain Stirling and Daisy May Cooper in my list as well, but I didn't want to list too many as I really do love the show. There's just probably been about a handful that I've found overly hard work...

Aisling Bea, Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, Daisy May Cooper, Mawaan Rizwan.

And I'm fully expecting Desiree Burch to be added to that list - although, hopefully, she may be one of those who proves a pleasant surprise and is a lot more toned down and bearable on Taskmaster than elsewhere.
I guess it's a similar reason to why any celebrity is disliked by some and liked by others? It's all subjective, and what appeals to some is an anathema to others.

People like Michael McIntyre, Jonathan Ross, Jimmy Carr, Iain Stirling get plenty of dislikes as well as likes. I'm not sure why some seem puzzled that the same might just as validly apply to the likes of Aisling Bea or Desiree Burch?

As regards Lou, yeah, I think you're right that she's always 'on' and playing a character. The trouble is, it's a loud, in your face character that demands attention so while some may absolutely love it, if you don't then it quickly becomes very annoying. I'd say she's OK in small doses, and I found her OK for a few episodes, and for the first couple of days on House of Games. But by the end of both I'd seen more than enough of the act and was finding her very hard work.
Quite enjoyable first episode. :)

I was fully expecting to find Victoria my favourite and Desiree loud and annoying and my least favourite - and I did.

Alan Davies was OK but a bit meh in the first episode and maybe being set up to be the Hugh Dennis of the series? I didn't know much about Morgana or Guz - they seem OK, but not really my type of humour.

I'm not expecting any of them to be hilarious or standout contestants, but it should hopefully be a solid series.
Just been listening to an Alex Horne interview on the Hawksbee & Jacobs podcast.

I'm not sure how spoilers work on here but he as good as confirmed something about what Victoria Coren Mitchell's been wearing on some Only Connect episodes being connected to Taskmaster.

He also said Desiree Burch is 'enthusiastic and her volume is high but is also very funny'. She's not my type of humour so I'm not optimistic about the latter, but not surprising to have the former confirmed that I'm likely to find her overly loud and OTT for my liking - similar to Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling.

Alright man we get it :lol:

Bertie Wooster

:lol:

I hadn't realised I'd mentioned her as much as that (although highlighting just one use of her name in a couple of long posts that covered so much more is a bit of a stretch :)).

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
She wasn't even particularly loud either.

Bertie Wooster

She wasn't even particularly loud either.
FFS!

Look, it's just my opinion based on seeing her (I won't mention her name this time) on many other shows as well. And my preference - based on the kind of humour I like and the kind I find loud and irritating.

Yes, I've seen her much louder, and there is a precedent of people toning it down a bit on shows like Taskmaster and House of Games compared to panel shows, so hopefully that's going to happen here (though not according to the Alex Horne comment I quoted). But, still, a toned down 'loud' comedian is still generally louder than a more subtle, dry one, so they're my favourites and the ones I enjoy the most rather than those who rely on constant OTT cries of 'oh nooo! Aaahhh! You've gotta be kidding meee!' as their attempt at humour (see Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, and D...)

Despite comedy being very subjective, and many comedians falling into the 'like them / dislike them; find them funny / not funny' categories based on personal preference, it does feel like some comedians are deemed more 'fair game' to criticism while others get an amazed reaction that anyone could have anything negative to say about them. With that noticeable pattern in mind, I was expecting this to be one of those that wasn't seen as particularly valid compared to, say, criticising Iain Stirling for his loud humour. And so it seems. But that's my view, and it's as valid as people finding any other comedian funny / unfunny, likeable / irritating, etc.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought she was fine. Was expecting much worse going by this thread.

Really enjoyable opener. Loved the balloon task.

b82REZ

I thought she was fine. Was expecting much worse going by this thread.

Really enjoyable opener. Loved the balloon task.
Me too. Never heard of her. I was expecting Kathryn Ryan levels of annoying, but she seemed genuinely nice and seemed to understand the show is about entertainment, not winning the tasks at any cost.