Television Taskmaster | Taskmaster VR Coming 2024 to Steam and Meta

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Desiree Burch is my all time favourite Taskmaster contestant.

Bertie Wooster

Can I just put on record I apologise for asking if I was being accused of racism.

I've previously quoted the one post that I suspect hinted at it, and that combined with the growing mocking nature of the posts, made me worry the initial banter had moved on to a suggestion of racism in my dislike of Desiree. I've now acknowledged that it wasn't.

In a group of 5 comedians, it's likely that most people will find at least one unfunny, unlikeable, etc. Desiree's likely to be mine for this series based on the other shows I've seen her on. Obviously that's an unpopular view on here, and it's become such a running joke that I imagine that'll remain all series regardless of how 'loud' I regard her to be in later episodes.

So long as it's banter, and nothing more, then I'm happy to laugh at it :lol: while completely disagreeing.

b82REZ

I've just referenced it...

That came in 10 minutes before I responded to it and I just worried that the unnecessary reference to race was an accusation. I asked about it and the shit hit the fan because it maybe seemed my reference came from nowhere. I was responding to that post, and a worry that the mocking was also because my criticisms were having a racist slant unfairly attached to them.

I'm now confident they weren't. So apologies for that. Apart from the initial post which still seems likely.
How is that calling you racist?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
If I was being a bit more cycnical, like he is, I'd suggest maybe he was edging towards feeling like he had to keep clarifying just in case before you even made that post:

Despite comedy being very subjective, and many comedians falling into the 'like them / dislike them; find them funny / not funny' categories based on personal preference, it does feel like some comedians are deemed more 'fair game' to criticism while others get an amazed reaction that anyone could have anything negative to say about them. With that noticeable pattern in mind, I was expecting this to be one of those that wasn't seen as particularly valid compared to, say, criticising Iain Stirling for his loud humour. And so it seems. But that's my view, and it's as valid as people finding any other comedian funny / unfunny, likeable / irritating, etc.
Which struck me as a rather weird thing to say. What "noticeable pattern" could that be?

In reality you never had anything to actually worry about Bertie, just because you criticise someone who presumably has a different skin colour to your own, no one with any brain is going to assume racist. The funny thing is you still don't even get the reason we latched on to it in the first place :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hey guys I've never heard of Taskmaster can you tell me if Desiree Burch is loud in it?
On the contrary. She has to wear three microphones because you can’t hear her on just one.

decorativeed

I watched 1 episode already, so no thanks.

It was amazingly shite.

(No racist to Americans btw, I just hate how loud they are).
It's okay, but some (most) of the contestants were shit. Bertie would have hated Lisa Lampanelli, I'd imagine!

Bertie Wooster

Because, otherwise, the reference to her race seemed completely unnecessary. The only relevance it seemed to possibly have was if you were suggesting that was my issue with her. Otherwise, why bring her race into the discussion?

Anyway, I've apologised to most. But I've also had enough of the banter / mocking / bullying - delete as applicable, whether you're in the group giving it out or the one receiving it.

I'm not on Twitter or other forms of social media, and I've only been on this site since the start of the year but I was already growing weary of the sneery, tribal aspect of it just through seeing it happen so often with other posters. This is the first time I've experienced it and it's pretty much made my mind up that it's not for me. Shame, because the concept is good. But like with all forms of social media, the nastiness spoils it for those who just want to voice and share opinions not join in to mock other users like the annoying kid at school hiding behind the bullies.

Bertie Wooster

If I was being a bit more cycnical, like he is, I'd suggest maybe he was edging towards feeling like he had to keep clarifying just in case before you even made that post:

Which struck me as a rather weird thing to say. What "noticeable pattern" could that be?

In reality you never had anything to actually worry about Bertie, just because you criticise someone who presumably has a different skin colour to your own, no one with any brain is going to assume racist. The funny thing is you still don't even get the reason we latched on to it in the first place :lol:
See my post above.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Because, otherwise, the reference to her race seemed completely unnecessary. The only relevance it seemed to possibly have was if you were suggesting that was my issue with her. Otherwise, why bring her race into the discussion?

Anyway, I've apologised to most. But I've also had enough of the banter / mocking / bullying - delete as applicable, whether you're in the group giving it out or the one receiving it.

I'm not on Twitter or other forms of social media, and I've only been on this site since the start of the year but I was already growing weary of the sneery, tribal aspect of it just through seeing it happen so often with other posters. This is the first time I've experienced it and it's pretty much made my mind up that it's not for me. Shame, because the concept is good. But like with all forms of social media, the nastiness spoils it for those who just want to voice and share opinions not join in to mock other users like the annoying kid at school hiding behind the bullies.
We only latched onto it because you essentially posted the same thing about her multiple times. It’s just a ribbing and your accusation made things way worse than they needed to be :lol: Nobody replied to your opinion about Burch until you’d posted it numerous times.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal

Think you are slightly overreacting to what amounted to slight ribbing

Bertie Wooster

We only latched onto it because you essentially posted the same thing about her multiple times. It’s just a ribbing and your accusation made things way worse than they needed to be :lol: Nobody replied to your opinion about Burch until you’d posted it numerous times.
Which was fine, initially. And I laughed at your initial post which I saw as banter and was highlighting a valid point.

Today, some of the posts have escalated beyond a point I stop regarding as 'ribbing' or 'banter'. Some of the posts have been mocking and sneery and a bit too nasty.

Though, obviously, that's from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't do social media and so isn't comfortable with this type of 'banter' either as the mocker or the one being mocked. Maybe it's lightweight stuff for those regularly doing it, but it's not for me.

b82REZ

How else was I going to describe her? The quiet one? If you'd said similar things about Aisling Bea would in be okay to reference the fact that's she's Irish?

No one was mocking you, you've taken this far too seriously. To be fair we probably should expected that seeing how in depth your analysis to a comedy panel show gets.

Redlambs

Once again you really don't see the irony in saying people had "AMAZING" reactions, and yet here you are drastically over reacting to what was harmless ribbing over the fact you constantly went on about her and the others.

We picked up on Burch because most of us didn't actually know who she was, nothing to do with thinking you were singling her our because of her skin colour. YOU made that a thing, first with your "pattern" talk and then over reacting to rez's post and now you are talking about school bullies and all that trash.

Seriously mate, you really need to sit and have a long think about your reaction to all this. You completely missed the point of all the harmless jokes, there were no digs directed at you as a person, no one said your opinion was wrong, no one ganged up on you, we just had a laugh at the fact someone noticed how much you mentioned her. THAT'S LITERALLY ALL IT WAS!

Sit down, take a breath and read my words again. You've totally gone off the rails on this one, it's ok mate it happens. But there's no gang of bullies or anything like that*, hell you must have seen the endless shit we all give each other over silly things! We don't take it personally because it's never personal. And on the rare occasion it is, other posters and the mods call it out and deal with it.

(*apart from the uber-nerd Xbox gang we have on here, but let's face it we all pity them anyway whilst taking their lunch money)

Redlambs

Which was fine, initially. And I laughed at your initial post which I saw as banter and was highlighting a valid point.

Today, some of the posts have escalated beyond a point I stop regarding as 'ribbing' or 'banter'. Some of the posts have been mocking and sneery and a bit too nasty.

Though, obviously, that's from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't do social media and so isn't comfortable with this type of 'banter' either as the mocker or the one being mocked. Maybe it's lightweight stuff for those regularly doing it, but it's not for me.
Where are the nasty posts?

Stevondo8

In an attempt to get this back on track, does the podcast add much to the show? I’ve never listened to it before but probably will for this series.

Bertie Wooster

Plenty of posts to respond to there. :lol:

But, instead, so as not to derail the thread any further, I'll take Redlambs advice and take some time out after this post. I'm sure I overreacted - but so did the amount of 'banter' filled responses!

Social media isn't for me. I only post(ed) on here and one music site, and I don't get involved in the 'banter type mockery'. I don't indulge in it myself - partly because I'm relatively new here so don't have a 'group' to banter with, and partly because I'm not comfortable with that type of 'piling in on a poster for a view they have' style anyway.

I'll now take my (hopefully lengthy) break and let the thread get back on track.

Redlambs

Plenty of posts to respond to there. :lol:

But, instead, so as not to derail the thread any further, I'll take Redlambs advice and take some time out after this post. I'm sure I overreacted - but so did the amount of 'banter' filled responses!

Social media isn't for me. I only post(ed) on here and one music site, and I don't get involved in the 'banter type mockery'. I don't indulge in it myself - partly because I'm relatively new here so don't have a 'group' to banter with, and partly because I'm not comfortable with that type of 'piling in on a poster for a view they have' style anyway.

I'll now take my (hopefully lengthy) break and let the thread get back on track.
Do yourself a favour and continue to stay the hell away from twitter and the others for your own sake!

All the best mate.

Stevondo8

Yes. In fact they are all worth a listen to mate if you are into hearing bits and pieces about what goes on behind the scenes and contestant experience.
Yeah I figured if I enjoy it whilst watching this series, I’ll then go back through the back catalogue.