Television Taskmaster | Taskmaster VR Coming 2024 to Steam and Meta

decorativeed

Great news.

Really looking forward to it, and to see Victoria Coren Mitchell on it. Just a shame about Desiree Burch.
I've seen her on a few more things since she was announced as a new TM contestant. Still not got a clue why so many people seem to have a such a problem with her.

Bertie Wooster

I've seen her on a few more things since she was announced as a new TM contestant. Still not got a clue why so many people seem to have a such a problem with her.
She's just not my kind of humour and although that's inevitable with panels of comedians, it's the ones who are loud and in your face that I find harder to put up with if I don't find them funny to begin with. I'd put Desiree Burch in that group. Same with Aisling Bea.

I'm sure some others will like them, and some will dislike ones that I like - and I wouldn't be puzzled by that as styles of comedy are subjective and many will have different favourites and least favourites. Desiree Burch's style is just one that I find overly loud and not particularly funny.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
She's just not my kind of humour and although that's inevitable with panels of comedians, it's the ones who are loud and in your face that I find harder to put up with if I don't find them funny to begin with. I'd put Desiree Burch in that group. Same with Aisling Bea.

I'm sure some others will like them, and some will dislike ones that I like - and I wouldn't be puzzled by that as styles of comedy are subjective and many will have different favourites and least favourites. Desiree Burch's style is just one that I find overly loud and not particularly funny.
Taskmaster is quite good for that though. There have been quite a few people I've not liked to begin with and then I've done a 180 by the end of the show. Jamali was one from last season.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen her for a few episodes. My only knowledge of her is posters in here saying she's bad.

Bertie Wooster

Taskmaster is quite good for that though. There have been quite a few people I've not liked to begin with and then I've done a 180 by the end of the show. Jamali was one from last season.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen her for a few episodes. My only knowledge of her is posters in here saying she's bad.
Yeah, I agree Taskmaster - and House of Games - gives a chance to see people whose humour you don't particularly like and yet warm to them a bit more regardless of that.

That happened with Nish Kumar and Rob Beckett with me. But it didn't work with Aisling Bea and Lou Sanders, who I found just as loud and annoying as I do on other shows. It also gives a chance to get a good idea about people you didn't know - I found out about Mike Wozniak and Charlotte Ritchie in the last series who I liked, but Mawaan Rizwan in the previous series was hard work.

As regards Desiree Burch, I imagine most will like her. She seems to be the type that's popular nowadays. It just depends on if you like that kind of loud humour. It's kind of like The Hundred in cricket - I didn't like it as it wasn't my type of thing, but I knew it would be popular as the loud, dumbed down nature of it was carefully and deliberately designed to fit the modern market. Desiree Burch is in a similar mould - not my type of thing, and I'm sure I'll find her hard work; but I expect she'll probably prove popular with plenty of viewers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I used to think Ian Sterling was a complete prick before Taskmaster and after watching him on it, I still think he's a complete prick.

Bertie Wooster

I'm sure we can all agreed that Aisling Bea was the worst contestant.
I used to think Ian Sterling was a complete prick before Taskmaster and after watching him on it, I still think he's a complete prick.
Daisy May Cooper for me by a country mile.
Completely agree about Stirling and Cooper - and obviously Bea, who I listed myself.

I was going to include Iain Stirling and Daisy May Cooper in my list as well, but I didn't want to list too many as I really do love the show. There's just probably been about a handful that I've found overly hard work...

Aisling Bea, Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, Daisy May Cooper, Mawaan Rizwan.

And I'm fully expecting Desiree Burch to be added to that list - although, hopefully, she may be one of those who proves a pleasant surprise and is a lot more toned down and bearable on Taskmaster than elsewhere.

decorativeed

To be fair, listening to him on the TM podcast, he's aware that he comes across as a complete prick. It's probably lost on most that he's mates with the two other contestants he was grouped with, so the way he was with them comes across a lot worse without that knowledge.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't know, I quite warmed to him after seeing the crushing realisation in himself just how much of a prick he is. The podcast tells us to this day it still haunts him how he comes across.

I'll allow that personal growth.

Bertie Wooster

To be fair, listening to him on the TM podcast, he's aware that he comes across as a complete prick. It's probably lost on most that he's mates with the two other contestants he was grouped with, so the way he was with them comes across a lot worse without that knowledge.
I don't know, I quite warmed to him after seeing the crushing realisation in himself just how much of a prick he is. The podcast tells us to this day it still haunts him how he comes across.

I'll allow that personal growth.
Yeah, I think they're good points.

Most of the time Iain that was 'horrified' by his own behaviour, Lou had come across just as argumentative and insufferable and yet she seemed incredibly proud of herself and showed little signs of self awareness or personal growth.

At least Iain seemed aware of coming across as a prick and wasn't proud of it. I don't think I've ever seen a more smug and self pleased contestant as Lou (well, maybe tied with Aisling).

Redlambs

Yeah, I think they're good points.

Most of the time Iain that was 'horrified' by his own behaviour, Lou had come across just as argumentative and insufferable and yet she seemed incredibly proud of herself and showed little signs of self awareness or personal growth.

At least Iain seemed aware of coming across as a prick and wasn't proud of it. I don't think I've ever seen a more smug and self pleased contestant as Lou (well, maybe tied with Aisling).
I think Lou was playing the character of herself, kind of like what Paul Chowdhry does but on a much more basic level. Aisling I don't particularly dislike and I'm not sure why she gets any hate as I didn't think she was stand out annoying, but she definitely is more just being herself.

Bertie Wooster

I think Lou was playing the character of herself, kind of like what Paul Chowdhry does but on a much more basic level. Aisling I don't particularly dislike and I'm not sure why she gets any hate as I didn't think she was stand out annoying, but she definitely is more just being herself.
I guess it's a similar reason to why any celebrity is disliked by some and liked by others? It's all subjective, and what appeals to some is an anathema to others.

People like Michael McIntyre, Jonathan Ross, Jimmy Carr, Iain Stirling get plenty of dislikes as well as likes. I'm not sure why some seem puzzled that the same might just as validly apply to the likes of Aisling Bea or Desiree Burch?

As regards Lou, yeah, I think you're right that she's always 'on' and playing a character. The trouble is, it's a loud, in your face character that demands attention so while some may absolutely love it, if you don't then it quickly becomes very annoying. I'd say she's OK in small doses, and I found her OK for a few episodes, and for the first couple of days on House of Games. But by the end of both I'd seen more than enough of the act and was finding her very hard work.

Redlambs

I guess it's a similar reason to why any celebrity is disliked by some and liked by others? It's all subjective, and what appeals to some is an anathema to others.

People like Michael McIntyre, Jonathan Ross, Jimmy Carr, Iain Stirling get plenty of dislikes as well as likes. I'm not sure why some seem puzzled that the same might just as validly apply to the likes of Aisling Bea or Desiree Burch?
I get all that, you are preaching to the choir, I just wondered with Bea as she seems so nondescript to me is all. I've no idea who Burch is at all, so maybe I'm about to find out :lol:

As regards Lou, yeah, I think you're right that she's always 'on' and playing a character. The trouble is, it's a loud, in your face character that demands attention so while some may absolutely love it, if you don't then it quickly becomes very annoying. I'd say she's OK in small doses, and I found her OK for a few episodes, and for the first couple of days on House of Games. But by the end of both I'd seen more than enough of the act and was finding her very hard work.
I find the likes of her like the anti-Noel Fielding/Richard Ayoade. With them you think quirky and weird is annoying, but the more you watch and actually get the more it works. With her, you want to like it but you quickly find it one dimensional and loud.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Aisling Bea is just the worst. She's not... she's not funny. She tries so very hard to be funny, but she isn't.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just finished Taskmaster NZ series 2. Brilliant and hilarious season. I'd put it up there with top tier UK seasons

Redlambs

Just finished Taskmaster NZ series 2. Brilliant and hilarious season. I'd put it up there with top tier UK seasons
I agree, in fact both seasons are imo. There's always a lighty odd tone with them, it works perfectly

I do think they should have a better TM though, I've warmed to Jeremy but he doesn't provide any humour or substance at all, whereas Greg can carry the show when it lulls.

Bertie Wooster

I agree, in fact both seasons are imo. There's always a lighty odd tone with them, it works perfectly

I do think they should have a better TM though, I've warmed to Jeremy but he doesn't provide any humour or substance at all, whereas Greg can carry the show when it lulls.
Yeah, that's what I've thought so far.

Having read about it here, I've watched the first couple of each series to get a flavour of them both. I've found the tasks similar to the UK, and the tone has been upbeat (hampered a little for me by the fact I don't know any of them and I find the New Zealand accent a little strong and grating). The assistant is fine, but the Taskmaster doesn't really offer much conviction or humour to the role and is no Greg Davies.

I've enjoyed them so far as a very watchable bonus, but I much prefer the UK version.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finished it last night myself. It was a great watch. Thought the milk challenge was a brilliant idea.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Just started watching NZ, and some of the tasks are brilliant.

Side note, it tickles me that all the uploads on /r/panelshows have subtitles, I'm assuming because Americans can't understand the accent?

Oh yeah, and the taskmaster's assistant is the brother of the New Zealand Today guy.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Side note, it tickles me that all the uploads on /r/panelshows have subtitles, I'm assuming because Americans can't understand the accent?

Oh yeah, and the taskmaster's assistant is the brother of the New Zealand Today guy.
I recognize that guy with the terrible hair. He was in Viva La Dirt League I think.

prateik

He was a contestant on season 1.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
NZ Taskmaster is good, but the taskmaster guy isn't great. He's honestly pretty boring.
He gets a lot better in season 2, he's very bland in season 1 though... definitely nowhere near Greg's level.

I really like Paul Williams as the assitant though, think he's brilliant.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He gets a lot better in season 2, he's very bland in season 1 though... definitely nowhere near Greg's level.

I really like Paul Williams as the assitant though, think he's brilliant.
I actually started with the 2nd season, so I can't imagine how boring he must be in the 1st season now that you say this :D

Sometimes he doesn't even remotely explain the points (to make it entertaining), he just throws out some points (to his best friend) and then makes his sidekick do all the comedy (and he's great to be fair).

Smores

I started watching the NZ series 2 due to recommendations here and it's actually really good. David Correos is a great contestant.

lsd

The Oracle
Greg Davies chairing the new season of Buzzcocks on now with regular guests Noel Fielding, Daisy May Cooper and Jamalii Maddix so a taskmaster flavour there

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Wait, didn't you weirdos start at S1?
You're really going to dislike me. I started with s2 episode 8 or something like that (whatever was the latest at the time the link was posted in here), then the episode before that. Then skipped back and have watched 1-4 so far, once I decided I wanted to keep watching.