Television Taskmaster | Season 17 now airing

Bertie Wooster

Was rooting for Dara but felt once again Greg was favourable to him with the scoring, especially for the elastic bands on the head and the hat task.

Ah well, if there is a CoCoC, Josh Widdicombe, Richard Herring and Dara Ó Briain are a good combo so far.
Elastic bands on the head was absolutely hilarious and the exact right amount of stupid - definitely worth 4 points. Minimum 3. (It was definitely better then Sophie and Kiell's efforts) - Sarah was underscored on that one.

The hat task if anything he was underscored? He had a hand tied behind his back! Which is a way bigger disadvantage then what Sarah and Sophie had, but he got the same amount of points as them).
Yeah, I agree about the hat challenge. Having a hand tied behind your back is definitely much more of a disadvantage to a task like that than Sophie just telling Alex to do some comedy heckles while she gets on with the task physically unimpeded. That definitely deserved a low score.

And, yeah, the elastic bands on the head just worked so well that he deserved a good score for that. His facial expressions, and the ever darkening colour of his bald head, just made it all so wonderfully stupid. :lol:

Bertie Wooster

I really enjoyed the two one-off episodes. Especially the champion of champions one.

Looking forward to the new series. It seems a decent enough line up. Thinking of all the comedians around, almost all my favourites have already been on the show by now. I'd say just a couple from WILTY (David Mitchell, Rob Brydon), and the wonderful one-liner Milton Jones, are the main ones I'd be delighted to see. But I'm not necessarily expecting any of those to appear.

I recognise all the latest group from various panel shows, and it seems a promising enough line up.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I really enjoyed the two one-off episodes. Especially the champion of champions one.

Looking forward to the new series. It seems a decent enough line up. Thinking of all the comedians around, almost all my favourites have already been on the show by now. I'd say just a couple from WILTY (David Mitchell, Rob Brydon), and the wonderful one-liner Milton Jones, are the main ones I'd be delighted to see. But I'm not necessarily expecting any of those to appear.

I recognise all the latest group from various panel shows, and it seems a promising enough line up.
John Robins is a wonderful standup and his radio show is great too. As well as his podcasts. Think he’ll be one of those who point out how silly it all is, rather than just accept it and be very silly and playful. Very funny fella though.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The only exposure I've had to John Robins is as Alex Horne's golf buddy and as far as I'm concerned he comes across as a narcissistic knobhead.

decorativeed

Looks like another sub standard series. Two contestants trying too hard and one going for the crown of most annoying ever.

Bertie Wooster

I quite enjoyed the first episode.
I don't generally find any of the Bolton comedians funny, but I know the other four well enough from other shows and they seemed OK on here.
There's no one on there I find hilarious, but there's enough that I'm hoping / expecting it to be a pretty decent series.

lsd

The Oracle
I thought it was a decent start big fan of Nick who looks like he is going to be excellent in it. Slight worry on Joanne who can be annoying but the rest look very good

decorativeed

I thought it was a decent start big fan of Nick who looks like he is going to be excellent in it. Slight worry on Joanne who can be annoying but the rest look very good
Yeah, Nick Mohammed in his Dracula gear was definitely the highlight. I thought Steve Pemberton was a bit cringy in his desire to do well. Like Dara O'Brien on steroids. And Joanne thingy is really not doing any favours for the general perception of people with Bolton accents being a bit thick.

hobbers

Bolton girl is irritating as expected. And it's early days but at least in that episode John gave me Mae Martin vibes for being a try hard personality vacuum.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like Sophie, but then I'm northern and we're just much better people.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Joanne (McNally) is the Irish contestant.
The Bolton one is Sophie Willan - who I agree isn't great.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Sophie trying to throw the hoops on the gorilla is totally like I would do - one hoop in a tree, another going miles off. I'd probably do the same in going in the water and nearly drowning too.

Felt like the wind was kinder to the middle three as they didn't have to throw as far.

Steve will probably end up winning the whole thing. The giraffe was impressive even if they did mess up the orientation.

Bertie Wooster

Charisma vacuum season ahead
I"m hoping it's going to be a decent enough series, even though it's likely to be lacking that one great contestant that comes around every so often like an Acaster, Mortimer or Wozniak.

I've seen four of them on plenty of panel things and Steve, John and Joanne are usually pretty decent at banter type humour. While Nick - when 'in character' on shows - is normally pretty eccentric and far from boring (though hit and miss for me). A bit like John Kearns, it'll be interesting to see him if he's dropping the character (it worked for John, in a doddering, useless way!)

Sophie is the one I've seen least of, but I'm not a big fan of all the Bolton comedians that are about and so she's not really for me (I'm from the North West myself, but don't really find any of those particularly funny).

lsd

The Oracle
Interesting the views on Sophie as i felt she was the best on the first episode and was the person i knew least about beforehand.

It will be interesting to watch John Robins as the episodes go by. I have a feeling he could be taking this a bit to competively and explode at some point especially in a team task.

There were already a few signs in the final task on Thursday he was close to losing it with Joanne.

Did anyone notice the river task there was a long shot of Alex and Nick with only Alex having a reflection which was a nice touch

Damien

Staff
Did anyone notice the river task there was a long shot of Alex and Nick with only Alex having a reflection which was a nice touch
Yeah, but I only noticed as there was a thread on reddit mentioning it so probably doesn't count. Guess it'll be a recurring theme through the series if there's any reflections involved.

Agree on John. He went overboard with the egg task knowing that cinematic type edits tend to do well points wise. Last series or the series before it felt like there were way too many of them, which is like: well done to the editing team at Taskmaster but doesn't really showcase the contestants abilities that much and surely all that setup takes longer than the 20 mins.

Bertie Wooster

There's not many posts about the current series!

I'm quite enjoying it. Not up there with the best, and no-one standing out as a 'classic' contestant, but it's a very solid series that's providing enjoyable enough episodes.

Sophie's still my least favourite of the group, but the other four are all fine and, having seen her on other things, Joanne McNally is the loose cannon I was expecting / hoping for. And I like Steve's (corny?) one liners - reminds me of when the wonderful Tim Vine was on. :)

Damien

Staff
The two who made it to the duck should have just picked it up and chucked it as far as they could before resuming the asking questions thing. Don't think I ever would have got the answer - would have struggled putting the animals in the right categories.