Television Taskmaster | Taskmaster VR Coming 2024 to Steam and Meta

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Had to turn my TV up to full volume and still couldn’t hear her.

Bertie Wooster

I thought she was fine. Was expecting much worse going by this thread.

Really enjoyable opener. Loved the balloon task.
Me too. Never heard of her. I was expecting Kathryn Ryan levels of annoying, but she seemed genuinely nice and seemed to understand the show is about entertainment, not winning the tasks at any cost.
I'm absolutely amazed at how loud she wasn't.
Had to turn my TV up to full volume and still couldn’t hear her.
This is getting ridiculous.

If you've never seen her before, and are judging it on one episode, then I'd say give it a few before deciding the validity of the point.

Alex Horne himself, when describing how the guests were in an interview, said something along the lines of 'Desiree she's... very American. Very enthusiastic and her volume is loud. But she's also very funny'. Why would he make reference to her loudness if she wasn't at all loud?

His comments suggest, over the series, she is her usual loud self and was just quieter by her standards in the first episode. Unless he's talking rubbish as well. That's what I was saying - she's usually loud and OTT and, according to Alex, she's loud on Taskmaster as well. Hopefully she remains the level she was in episode 1 but I'd be surprised and, going off Alex's comment, I'm not expecting it.

But let's see.

decorativeed

If you've never seen her before, and are judging it on one episode, then I'd say give it a few before deciding the validity of the point.

Alex Horne himself, when describing how the guests were in an interview, said something along the lines of 'Desiree she's... very American. Very enthusiastic and her volume is loud. But she's also very funny'. Why would he make reference to her loudness if she wasn't at all loud?

His comments suggest, over the series, she is her usual loud self and was just quieter by her standards in the first episode. Unless he's talking rubbish as well. That's what I was saying - she's usually loud and OTT and, according to Alex, she's loud on Taskmaster as well. Hopefully she remains the level she was in episode 1 but I'd be surprised and, going off Alex's comment, I'm not expecting it.

But let's see.
I've seen her in a few things, and heard her on some of my favourite podcasts. As I said a couple of months back on here, I'm not seeing (or hearing, in this case) the issue you have with her.

b82REZ

But let's see.
Looks like this is a you problem.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone know why they changed the format and only have four contestants this season instead of five?
I watched it on my phone with headphones, if you go past the volume warning message then you can just about hear the fifth contestant.

Bertie Wooster

I've seen her in a few things, and heard her on some of my favourite podcasts. As I said a couple of months back on here, I'm not seeing (or hearing, in this case) the issue you have with her.
I was referring to those I responded to, who implied they'd never seen her before. I'm sure there's plenty who have seen her and like her. As I've said, humour is subjective and there's people who like / dislike all kinds of it. That's the way it is, and why comedians can be loved / loathed, seen as hilarious / unfunny by different people. I'm not seeing why there's such amazed reaction and mocking at my finding a comedian loud and unfunny just because some others don't. That's how comedy works.

Bertie Wooster

It's easy to miss the really quiet black lady.
Can I ask a honest question here: is the mocking of me because I've criticised a black woman?

I didn't even think of that given I'd criticised Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling for the exact same thing. Why is it all right to criticise them for being loud and OTT but suddenly the race of the person becomes relevant in Desiree's case?

And is Alex being racist / xenophobic when he described her as 'very American... very enthusiastic and her volume is high'. He didn't mention the other four contestants volume being high. Was that racist of him? Or was he merely pointing out that she is a loud comedian, the same as Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, etc?

This is getting ridiculous. I thought at first it was banter. Then the mocking was unnecessary. Now hints that I'm being racist!? That's bang out of order.

b82REZ

Can I ask a honest question here: is the mocking of me because I've criticised a black woman?

I didn't even think of that given I'd criticised Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling for the exact same thing. Why is it all right to criticise them for being loud and OTT but suddenly the race of the person becomes relevant in Desiree's case?

And is Alex being racist / xenophobic when he described her as 'very American... very enthusiastic and her volume is high'. He didn't mention the other four contestants volume being high. Was that racist of him? Or was he merely pointing out that she is a loud comedian, the same as Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, etc?

This is getting ridiculous. I thought at first it was banter. Then the mocking was unnecessary. Now hints that I'm being racist!? That's bang out of order.
Wow.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal

:lol: :lol:

Bertie Wooster

Honestly, can I get a truthful response instead of mocking as I don't understand why this is happening.

I don't find a comedian funny. I don't find a type of humour funny that includes both sexes and races. And given examples that includes both males and females, white and black. What have I said that warrants the teaming up and mocking?

b82REZ

Honestly, can I get a truthful response instead of mocking as I don't understand why this is happening.

I don't find a comedian funny. I don't find a type of humour funny that includes both sexes and races. And given examples that includes both males and females, white and black. What have I said that warrants the teaming up and mocking?
It was a bit of a joke because you kept saying she was loud in the run up to the episode. Turns out she was nothing like you said she'd be. People then joked about it and you made a bizzare post saying we were calling you racist.

Bertie Wooster

The context is fine.

I'm amazed you don't get what you are doing to yourself here, even more shockingly amazed you've missed the entire point of the light hearted jokes and now made yourself look rather odd.

Amazing.
I got the initial light hearted jokes from yesterday and laughed at myself.

I don't regard a lot of the comments today as light hearted, or the reference to her race in a clear implication that that's my issue with her despite my criticism of Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling for tbe same reason.

If it's all been banter, fine. I apologise for misinterpreting some of the seeming implications. And I'll laugh at myself again. :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Can I just say all you people who didn't like Aisling Bea are clearly a big bunch of Irish hating racists.

Bertie Wooster

It was a bit of a joke because you kept saying she was loud in the run up to the episode. Turns out she was nothing like you said she'd be. People then joked about it and you made a bizzare post saying we were calling you racist.
I got all that. That's why I laughed about it yesterday. Today, I was responding to the 'bizarre post' that randomly said...

"It's easy to miss the really quiet black lady."

And that, combined with the amount of posts piling in, made me worry that banter had moved on to a suggestion of racism. That's why I asked the question.

Fortunately it seems not to be and it was just the first bizarre post (and my response) that had anything to do with it.

So, apologies for that, and back as we were... :)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I don't regard a lot of the comments today as light hearted, or the reference to her race in a clear implication that that's my issue with her despite my criticism of Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling for tbe same reason.

If it's all been banter, fine. I apologise for misinterpreting some of the seeming implications. And I'll laugh at myself again. :lol:
Mate please show us one incident where someone called you racist that was prior to you defending yourself from being called a racist.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

I honestly don't think you've got it at all. Your long posts and weird comments like:

FFS!

Look, it's just my opinion based on seeing her (I won't mention her name this time) on many other shows as well. And my preference - based on the kind of humour I like and the kind I find loud and irritating.

Yes, I've seen her much louder, and there is a precedent of people toning it down a bit on shows like Taskmaster and House of Games compared to panel shows, so hopefully that's going to happen here (though not according to the Alex Horne comment I quoted). But, still, a toned down 'loud' comedian is still generally louder than a more subtle, dry one, so they're my favourites and the ones I enjoy the most rather than those who rely on constant OTT cries of 'oh nooo! Aaahhh! You've gotta be kidding meee!' as their attempt at humour (see Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, and D...)

Despite comedy being very subjective, and many comedians falling into the 'like them / dislike them; find them funny / not funny' categories based on personal preference, it does feel like some comedians are deemed more 'fair game' to criticism while others get an amazed reaction that anyone could have anything negative to say about them. With that noticeable pattern in mind, I was expecting this to be one of those that wasn't seen as particularly valid compared to, say, criticising Iain Stirling for his loud humour. And so it seems. But that's my view, and it's as valid as people finding any other comedian funny / unfunny, likeable / irritating, etc.
Certainly haven't helped you. Then there's the constant over the top claims of "OMG AMAZEMENT!" and finally the absolutely ridiculous claim we were having a laugh with you because you are racist.

I mean, you've given plenty of ammo for a bit of ribbing, including continuing to not understand why. Now you've taken it down a dark road (omg, not calling you racist there btw!!!!) which is ironic as that's the only actual amazing reaction in this thread...

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Should we all go and watch the American version of Taskmaster just to make sure we're not racists?

Bertie Wooster

Mate please show us one incident where someone called you racist that was prior to you defending yourself from being called a racist.
I've just referenced it...

It's easy to miss the really quiet black lady.
That came in 10 minutes before I responded to it and I just worried that the unnecessary reference to race was an accusation. I asked about it and the shit hit the fan because it maybe seemed my reference came from nowhere. I was responding to that post, and a worry that the mocking was also because my criticisms were having a racist slant unfairly attached to them.

I'm now confident they weren't. So apologies for that. Apart from the initial post which still seems likely.