Television Taskmaster | Taskmaster VR Coming 2024 to Steam and Meta

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I like VCM but think it’s a wee bit forced sometimes. I think she knew where the chair was for quite a while, but figured it would be funny to do the whole act. I also refuse to believe that she wouldn’t know that that was a bad gift.

Funny, but she is very intelligent and I don’t think those situations were completely natural.

It’s been a very easy watch so far this season. Five likeable personalities, but I do think they are struggling for tasks. A bridge repeat, the balls in the house, Alex scoring a goal etc… seem a bit desperate.

Still very entertaining TV though and the fact that they put it out on YouTube almost immediately has been fantastic during quarantine.

b82REZ

VCM has been better than I expected but her and Alan are the weakest this season by far. Alan seems like he can't be arsed and he's above it all.

Guz is the best contestant this year.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Morgana has been the best for me, she always thinks outside the box straight off the bat, at least that's what it feels like in the edit.

Maluco

Morgana has been the best for me, she always thinks outside the box straight off the bat, at least that's what it feels like in the edit.
I would agree with Morgana too. She always tries to be creative and she is always enthusiastic.

I think Alan Davies might just be too old for the show and the format.

lsd

The Oracle
I get the feeling Alan Davies has a few issues to be honest and you can see despite his attempts to hide it he is clearly annoyed whenever Greg makes fun of him being old

Bertie Wooster

Alan just seems to be this series' Hugh Dennis or Jo Brand. The older contestant who, unsurprisingly, struggled with the physical tasks and is the butt of the joke with Greg because of it.

Victoria is also struggling with the physical tasks, but she's more competitive and eager to succeed than the three above. That's why I've been looking forward to her being on for so long - that mix of being clever and competitive, but physically incompetent, was always going to lead to her getting frustrated in an entertaining way.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Alan just seems to be this series' Hugh Dennis or Jo Brand. The older contestant who, unsurprisingly, struggled with the physical tasks and is the butt of the joke with Greg because of it.

Victoria is also struggling with the physical tasks, but she's more competitive and eager to succeed than the three above. That's why I've been looking forward to her being on for so long - that mix of being clever and competitive, but physically incompetent, was always going to lead to her getting frustrated in an entertaining way.
Hugh Dennis was brilliant! Way better than Alan or Jo Brand.

b82REZ

Exactly. Hugh Dennis was nothing like Alan Davies.

To me he looks like he can't be arsed with it. I always assume the contestants are aware of what the show is, but with him he seems like he wasn't. Does he do QI anymore?

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I enjoyed Hugh Dennis as well.

I was just including him as one of the older contestants who struggled with the physical tasks and was mercilessly mocked by Greg for it. But, yeah, from an entertainment point of view, I found his struggles great to watch and he was very dry in the studio.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I would love to see someone like David Mitchell
Unfortunately he's ruled it out

"I've been asked and I've said 'no thanks'", explained Mithell. "It's a very good show but i don't want to be on it. My feeling is that I'd be shit but not in a funny way. People think maybe I'd be a good sport about it and I don't think people thinking that will increase if I'm on it. It's like I've been asked to be on Celebrity Mastermind because people think I'd be quite good at that. So why would I do it then. All I can do is ruin it by going on it and turning out to be considerably more ignorant than people expect."

Victoria Coren Mitchell appearing on it and enjoying the experience did not change his mind: "She really likes challenges and puzzles. I find puzzles puzzling."
When asked if he would do Strictly Come Dancing like his double act partner Robert Webb he said "I would rather do Taskmaster."
Ayoade's possible with him finishing Travel Man but looking at his IMDB he's been quite busy the last couple of years.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I like VCM but think it’s a wee bit forced sometimes. I think she knew where the chair was for quite a while, but figured it would be funny to do the whole act. I also refuse to believe that she wouldn’t know that that was a bad gift.

Funny, but she is very intelligent and I don’t think those situations were completely natural.

It’s been a very easy watch so far this season. Five likeable personalities, but I do think they are struggling for tasks. A bridge repeat, the balls in the house, Alex scoring a goal etc… seem a bit desperate.

Still very entertaining TV though and the fact that they put it out on YouTube almost immediately has been fantastic during quarantine.
Nah you're overthinking it. She's not a good enough actor to pull that off, nor is she a comedian. She's just a woman who forgot her glasses.The football thing, yeah that was obviously a bit, but that's generally what the prize tasks are for. It's just a massive coincidence that everyone else gave reasonably good gifts, which is unheard of.

Really surprised at you putting the Alex scoring a goal with "struggling for tasks", I thought that was an amazing task. We've basically never seen Alex being actively involved in tasks either, so it felt new to me at least. Definitely agree that all five are likeable, though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The podcast with her is quite interesting as she describes her approach to the show and an on-set behaviour in an excruciatingly honest fashion. She's quite open on the reasons behind her feeling uncomfortable as well as being internally forced into "funny" patterns of behaviour due to her being the only non-comedian out of the entire cast of the show.

It even sounded a bit eerie before I got into her vibe a bit more — in a more empathic person you'd associate such words with a trauma but she was simply listing all of the pros and cons of that experience as well as explaining some of the stuff that happened (and overall it was a very positive experience for her).

Agree with you on the ticket though, it was very much an expected thing to do for her as a rational persona that doesn't get irrational stuff like supporting a football club and seeks for a simpler solutions to such issues (basically the whole Richard Ayoade's comedic profile).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Of course she knew it was a bad gift.

Wouldn't be surprised if her husband thought of it actually.
Still brilliant though. It requiring Alan to pay towards it was a great idea.

Maluco

Nah you're overthinking it. She's not a good enough actor to pull that off, nor is she a comedian. She's just a woman who forgot her glasses.The football thing, yeah that was obviously a bit, but that's generally what the prize tasks are for. It's just a massive coincidence that everyone else gave reasonably good gifts, which is unheard of.

Really surprised at you putting the Alex scoring a goal with "struggling for tasks", I thought that was an amazing task. We've basically never seen Alex being actively involved in tasks either, so it felt new to me at least. Definitely agree that all five are likeable, though.
Possibly! It just felt a bit “put on” for me, but I like her as a personality.

I just thought the goal thing was a bit “thrown together” but I am nitpicking. I genuinely really enjoy the episodes even when the tasks are a bit naff.

The podcast with her is quite interesting as she describes her approach to the show and an on-set behaviour in an excruciatingly honest fashion. She's quite open on the reasons behind her feeling uncomfortable as well as being internally forced into "funny" patterns of behaviour due to her being the only non-comedian out of the entire cast of the show.

It even sounded a bit eerie before I got into her vibe a bit more — in a more empathic person you'd associate such words with a trauma but she was simply listing all of the pros and cons of that experience as well as explaining some of the stuff that happened (and overall it was a very positive experience for her).

Agree with you on the ticket though, it was very much an expected thing to do for her as a rational persona that doesn't get irrational stuff like supporting a football club and seeks for a simpler solutions to such issues (basically the whole Richard Ayoade's comedic profile).
Thanks! I will listen to this. It should be a good listen because she seems very rational and practical so will be interesting to hear her mindset.

I have definitely felt something was “forced” so far, but maybe it’s not the way I was seeing it!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
David Mitchell is busy doing Outsiders anyway, tried watching it but it just didn't connect with me.

Bertie Wooster

David Mitchell is busy doing Outsiders anyway, tried watching it but it just didn't connect with me.
I've found it OK.

It's not as promising as the first series of Taskmaster, and I wish they wouldn't repeat the same intro, with the same jokes, every time. But some of the tasks have been entertaining enough, and I like the last part of each episode when David talks them through how they did and if they've got a badge for it.

I've liked the banter between the pairings with Lou and Ed, and Jessica and Jamali; but I haven't found Kerry and Toussaint particularly funny.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It’s only an ok series so far. All too calm. The prize tasks are probably one of the worst series wise.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'd say it might be the steadiest season. All of the contestants are pretty good and likeable enough. Nobody annoying or boring, but equally nobody that stands out. In other series, you'd dread a couple of contestants tasks and couldn't wait to see how one or two handled it.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yeah, I enjoyed Hugh Dennis as well.

I was just including him as one of the older contestants who struggled with the physical tasks and was mercilessly mocked by Greg for it. But, yeah, from an entertainment point of view, I found his struggles great to watch and he was very dry in the studio.
Did he? I have a vague memory of him being surprisingly sprightly; jumping over pommel horses and scoring superb bag goals.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Did he? I have a vague memory of him being surprisingly sprightly; jumping over pommel horses and scoring superb bag goals.
Hugh was great. I think the "age" thing is much like the "loud" thing, in that certain people will always use that as a label for whatever reason rings true in their heads.

I'd say it might be the steadiest season. All of the contestants are pretty good and likeable enough. Nobody annoying or boring, but equally nobody that stands out. In other series, you'd dread a couple of contestants tasks and couldn't wait to see how one or two handled it.
Yeah, I agree with this. I find them all likeable enough, and the tasks fine and watchable, but it's all fair to middling.

Trequarista10

Others, including myself, have cited how all of the contestants are likeable this year. They also all get along and are friendly with each other.

I do wonder if they are missing that one competitive contestant though, who takes things too seriously, argues with Greg about points and highlights if any other contestants have possibly broken a rule. They can be annoying but its add something to the show that appears to be missing this season. This lot would have voted to allow Joe Wilkinson the points for his potato hole in one ffs!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I was getting annoyed that nobody thought to just walk around with the circles on their feet and she finally did it, only to feck up the task :lol: she’s the only one thinking laterally in most tasks really.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Others, including myself, have cited how all of the contestants are likeable this year. They also all get along and are friendly with each other.

I do wonder if they are missing that one competitive contestant though, who takes things too seriously, argues with Greg about points and highlights if any other contestants have possibly broken a rule. They can be annoying but its add something to the show that appears to be missing this season. This lot would have voted to allow Joe Wilkinson the points for his potato hole in one ffs!
I was thinking this with the iron task. Did Guz really get it to land on the ironing board? Or did it just land in a bath?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I quite like it. It's obviously not Taskmaster level, but it's fun - and you can tell they're all having a lot of fun making it, which definitely helps. Also Lou Sanders and Ed Gamble are brilliant together.

Hugh drawing a middle aged black lady as an old fat bald white man is a Taskmaster all-time great moment!

Bertie Wooster

Not Taskmaster related, but just seen that the wonderful Mike Wozniak will be on House of Games next week (Mon-Fri 6pm, BBC2).

I didn't know who he was before last season's Taskmaster but, like most, I thought he was brilliant on it and I'm looking forward to seeing him on HoG.

sebsheep

I quite like it. It's obviously not Taskmaster level, but it's fun - and you can tell they're all having a lot of fun making it, which definitely helps. Also Lou Sanders and Ed Gamble are brilliant together.

Hugh drawing a middle aged black lady as an old fat bald white man is a Taskmaster all-time great moment!
Yeah, I do think the dynamic between a rather competitive Ed Gamble and crazy Lou Sanders works well. Some of the tasks were alright and Jamali killing off David did make laugh, but there was a bit too much fluff for me like the motto stuff.

sebsheep

Ok, so it seems no one else is brave enough to say it. The shelf task was one of the worst tasks ever.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Ok, so it seems no one else is brave enough to say it. The shelf task was one of the worst tasks ever.
And the live task one of the worst live tasks.

It's been quite a poor season overall I think. Maybe I'm too used to the format or something, but it's all a bit meh.

Trequarista10

Tasks this series have been very hit and miss.

I think certain succesful tasks they could just repeat each series, rather than have numerous poor tasks in, so long as it's not a task that has an obvious cheat that has already been discovered.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah the tasks have been a bit bland. I know it's been 12 series but surely there's more inventive ones he could come up with.

sebsheep

And the live task one of the worst live tasks.

It's been quite a poor season overall I think. Maybe I'm too used to the format or something, but it's all a bit meh.
I've quite enjoyed it, but then I do enjoy every series.

Yeah the live task fell pretty flat. I think stuff like that can be difficult to pull off live anyway and it seemed to move so slowly.

Bertie Wooster

I've quite enjoyed it, but then I do enjoy every series.

Yeah the live task fell pretty flat. I think stuff like that can be difficult to pull off live anyway and it seemed to move so slowly.
Yeah, I've quite enjoyed it as well.

Some series are better than others obviously, but, as you say, there's never been one that I haven't enjoyed and this has been a solid enough series. There's been a lot better series than this but I find an average series of Taskmaster so much better than most of the other shows being made nowadays.

0le

I think a problem with the tasks is Covid - it is not just what you see on TV but also behind the scenes and the practicalities of figuring out new tasks whilst WFH, social distancing and potentially more clogged up work schedules.

Having said that, as stated above, there are good ideas to be found in some of the international versions of the tasks. They also need to be more liberal in the wording of the tasks to allow for more lateral thinking.

It isn't all doom and gloom. I mean it has still been a decent series and last series gave us arguably the best ever moment of Taskmaster with Wozniak.