Music Taylor Swift

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah, I see where she's coming from. Having and writing about a lot of exes is pretty normal for male popstars and passes by largely without comment, whereas with her it gets framed in a negative way and she gets portrayed as a man-eater. And that fits into the common trope of women being slut-shamed for things men do more freely.

I'm not sure how much publicly reacting to jokes in shite netflix comedies helps, mind. And I'm not surprised the stars of said show are now getting abuse online as a result.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
On the surface it seems a bit light-skinned... but hey, I'm not a woman, nor am I the butt of a joke on a Netflix show, so who am I to judge what Taylor Swift gets upset about? Maybe it just caught her on a bad day... Maybe its just one joke too far at her expense. Who knows, but yeah, certainly not unreasonable.

Her fanbase are about as rabid as it gets so they'll leap to her defense/abuse whatever she targets... so she's obviously going to use that to her favour, and hey why shouldn't she?

On her last two albums... I gave it a go considering the hype they have received, and I've found them a bit, well... boring. Find myself zoning out from it and half the time I can't tell when one song stops and another begins.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nah, I see where she's coming from. Having and writing about a lot of exes is pretty normal for male popstars and passes by largely without comment, whereas with her it gets framed in a negative way and she gets portrayed as a man-eater. And that fits into the common trope of women being slut-shamed for things men do more freely.

I'm not sure how much publicly reacting to jokes in shite netflix comedies helps, mind. And I'm not surprised the stars of said show are now getting abuse online as a result.
Tell that to Drake :lol:

Man has a whole website dedicated to him with gems such as:

Drake the type of (n word) that closes the fridge door with his hips
Drake the type of (n word) that highfives with both hands... then links fingers
Drake the type of (n word) that looks at a bruised apple and says "who did that to you?"
Drake the type of (n word) that farts in the toilet and flushes it
Drake the type of (n word) that has a favourite Starbucks

NinjaFletch

From a general standpoint, I find it incredibly grating when any rich and famous person, who has profited from living their life in the public domain, turns around and acts offended that jokes and negative press come with the attention. Taylor Swift’s had no issue with airing her complaints about exes in her songs and has become one of the most famous people in the world by doing it; if you’d prefer to keep your private life private then by all means do so, but you can’t pick and chose which aspects of fame you would like if you decide to air your dirty laundry in public.

Within those general confines though, I can still buy that the disproportionate attention is sexist, I can’t tell you who Beiber’s song ‘Love Yourself’ was about, for example, and I can’t remember there ever being a media frenzy to find out, whereas, for at least several years, every time that Swift released a new album there was frenzied detective work to try and piece together the clues.

At some point, surely everyone is going to start rolling their eyes at stories like this - where the most privileged among us act like a mild joke is deeply damaging to them (or society at large).

Also, a fictional character saying something isn't an endorsement of those ideas by the writers. Fictional characters are flawed. By TayTay's standards, movie villains can no longer exist because killing people is, like, totes problematic and they should know better.

Sara125

Not completely related to that article but as loved as she is she also seems to get unnecessary hate on social media. She is not the first or last singer to dedicate most of her songs around heartbreak so I don’t understand. I dunno I really like her as a person, she’s always came across as down to earth and genuine (to me anyway).

RK

I think the rationale is that there's still stigma for women to have many male partners and they easily become the butt of a joke, but that it doesn't happen the other way round.

Although I'm sure Leo Di Caprio who has many times been mocked even in his face, about his many partners, would likely object to that.
Funnily enough, her 2019 song The Man:

And they would toast to me, oh
Let the players play
I'd be just like Leo
In Saint-Tropez

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Funnily enough, her 2019 song The Man:

And they would toast to me, oh
Let the players play
I'd be just like Leo
In Saint-Tropez
This is where it gets confusing for me, though. Because Leo wears it like a badge of honour, probably because everyone is high giving him. But for all the shit she gets for it I haven't heard any stories about Taylor ditching someone because they got too old for her.

But then, on the flip side, I haven't heard Leo complain about it. But then again that goes back to how everyone high fives him for it.
Ed Sheeran in my eyes has made recorded some decent songs that someone else wrote:

Put It All On Me
Beautiful People
Blow
Castle On The Hill
Photograph[/S]
Horrible man.
Not completely related to that article but as loved as she is she also seems to get unnecessary hate on social media. She is not the first or last singer to dedicate most of her songs around heartbreak so I don’t understand. I dunno I really like her as a person, she’s always came across as down to earth and genuine (to me anyway).
True enough. Is this just one joke at her expense too many then?

Sara125

This is where it gets confusing for me, though. Because Leo wears it like a badge of honour, probably because everyone is high giving him. But for all the shit she gets for it I haven't heard any stories about Taylor ditching someone because they got too old for her.

But then, on the flip side, I haven't heard Leo complain about it. But then again that goes back to how everyone high fives him for it.

Horrible man.

I was speaking more in general to be honest :lol: but yeah in regard to that specific joke they should cut her some slack and I agree with the sentiment that such a joke probably wouldn’t be made in reference to a man’s love life

Hephaestus

Horrible man.

100%. When you consider she's had shit like this with regards to her relationships for a decade, you can see why she'd eventually reach the "feck you" stage when jokes about her being a slut are still being made. Kicker is she even talked about this in the Miss Americana documentary on Netflix...

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
In a few years, there will be no comedy, no comedians and the future generations will not know what a 'joke' is. We'll be living like that movie Equilibrium.

100%. When you consider she's had shit like this with regards to her relationships for a decade, you can see why she'd eventually reach the "feck you" stage.
Seeing things like this actually make me much less sympathetic.

Shows like Ellen, the late night shows in both the USA and the UK, are managed down to the most minute details. Taylor and her team would have not only approved that topic, but also rehearsed through that exact conversation prior to filming. Nothing is off the cuff or unexpected.

It's completely standard to have multiple hours of prep for one 15 minute faux-spontaneous interview. That's in addition to weeks spent negotiating which topics are fair game...and the clients I've worked with have a much, much lower worldwide profile than Taylor Swift. I can't even imagine the amount of 'management' that goes into an interview with her.

Zen

Shows like Ellen, the late night shows in both the USA and the UK, are managed down to the most minute details. Taylor and her team would have not only approved that topic, but also rehearsed through that exact conversation prior to filming. Nothing is off the cuff or unexpected.
This isn't massively true and theres plenty that comes out unexpected. They certainly touch on things, and have brief rehearsals.... but they are still live, and in the moment. It's not so much 'cut' - Ellen shouldn't have done that, take 2... just go with it, some awkwardness is planned, some isn't.

Hephaestus

It's completely standard to have multiple hours of prep for one 15 minute faux-spontaneous interview. That's in addition to weeks spent negotiating which topics are fair game...and the clients I've worked with have a much, much lower worldwide profile than Taylor Swift. I can't even imagine the amount of 'management' that goes into an interview with her.
Given you have stories like this about the Ellen show (as well as all the stories from staffers about how toxic that show is behind the scenes), I kinda doubt that everything is so tightly rehearsed.

Zen

Agree. She has some catchy tunes but great is a stretch. Then again, caftards genuinely believe she's some great artist or something
It's hardly the caf .... she's been consistently highly praised since at least 1989. And not just by pop critics who she's not particularly aiming for either. That's 5 albums on the bounce, all highly regarded, as albums... not for random songs on them, there's certainly greatness in that.

RK

Yeah this is valid, it makes a difference whether the 'act' is generally seen as positive or negative in (a biased) society.
To clarify, I didn't really mean my post to come across as a whataboutism, more of just a coincidence.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool

The good lady will bless us again this year. Thoughts?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think this album will sound more like Lover than Folklore & Evermore. Looking forward to it!