Teacher beheaded near Paris after showing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fair enough, but that feels like branding the holocaust a purge of homosexuals, when clearly they were not the primary target.
I’m sure that does to some. The holocaust was a purge of homosexuals along with the rest, it seems that the genocide had some religious overtones to it. It’s foolish to not realize both are correct.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Would you apply to same logic to something like capitalism? Fantastic advancements but ultimately responsible for more war, poverty and overall suffering in the last 100 years than any other single ideology or belief system in human history.
Damn, I was not even thinking about this ‘ism.’ It absolutely needs to be looked at in the same vein. Its successes do not absolve its failures nor should that be the case forever. To not realize a situation for what it really is smacks of sheer lunacy. Nothing should be held as sacrosanct no matter how positive its past success is.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I’m sure that does to some. The holocaust was a purge of homosexuals along with the rest, it seems that the genocide had some religious overtones to it. It’s foolish to not realize both are correct.
It was more racial and, as someone else said, eugenics, rather than religious for me. Religion did obviously add to the jews' otherness though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was more racial and, as someone else said, eugenics, rather than religious for me. Religion did obviously add to the jews' otherness though.
You’re right, it did have a heavy eugenic slant, but you’re also right that homosexuals were specifically targeted as a particular group.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I said I question people's mental health when they get all agressive about something like religion. Stop taking that comment out of context. Many people believed in Hitler too. Doesn't make it better (and no I don't compare religion to Hitler, but arguments like "x people believe in so and so, so stop beeing so offensive" don't work).
You also said this to @dumbo:
Mate I'd actually apply for guardianship for anyone that in this day and age still believes in God so get off your high horse.
You see, when you make these ridiculous statements someone will call you out eventually. The Hitler analogy is illogical as he was a political leader, not a god - people believed in what he was saying, not that he actually existed. They weren't mentally ill, either.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Would you apply to same logic to something like capitalism? Fantastic advancements but ultimately responsible for more war, poverty and overall suffering in the last 100 years than any other single ideology or belief system in human history.
How would you calculate how much war, poverty and suffering can be attrubuted to capitalism?

jeff_goldblum

How would you calculate how much war, poverty and suffering can be attrubuted to capitalism?
How do you attribute any cause to any effect?

But anyway, this is off topic, I was just interested as to whether that poster was willing to apply the same logic to other ideologies as he was to religion.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
If its a single person taking a stand then they can be eliminated. Larger number of people need to start drawing caricatures of mohammad so as to make the target bigger. If someone's sensibilities are offended then they can leave or come to terms with it. But if its Charlie Hebdo, or one isolated guy here and there, then they're just painting a big bullseye on their backs.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

But anyway, this is off topic, I was just interested as to whether that poster was willing to apply the same logic to other ideologies as he was to religion.
It would be less easy to quantify for sure, but such deaths happen every day unfortunately.

Charlie Foley

Can’t find any from the most recent incident, but here are some that sparked the Danish kerfuffle (violent protests erupted from it):

https://face-of-muhammed.blogspot.com/2006/12/12-muhammed-drawings.html?m=1

As you can see, they were obviously ‘bad’ enough to incite violent riots. Embarrassing.

Hebdo’s were more visceral, just can’t find them all together.
Since you have shared those photos, though not drawing them, is that also a transgression? I guess so, right?

Gehrman

Well that's the point isn't it. It's complex. Capitalism is ultimately about property relations and the free market. I don't have a raging hard-on for capitalism, but it is a bit weird for me to hear that capitalism has caused more wars, deaths, poverty and suffering than anything in history.

Fingeredmouse

A first step might be to avoid needless provocation... I mean, what's happened here is horrific, but was what was the victim was trying to protest here worth the cost they paid?

If I walked into an LGBTQ+ bar spouting bible verse about how they're all gonna burn in hell, and didnt expect to have my head caved in, am I not guilty of being a bit naive?
Sorry to respond to a day old post but:

If he had walked into a Mosque waving offensive pictures of Mohammed you might just have a parable here. Although I'm very confident you wouldn't get beheaded in either the Mosque in my example or the bar in yours but certainly it'd be a provocative act.

He was teaching in a classroom. A cnut killed him. There is not one iota of responsibility on the head of the victim.

Gehrman

Sorry to respond to a day old post but:

If he had walked into a Mosque waving offensive pictures of Mohammed you might just have a parable here. Although I'm very confident you wouldn't get beheaded in either the Mosque in my example or the bar in yours but certainly it'd be a provocative act.

He was teaching in a classroom. A cnut killed him. There is not one iota of responsibility on the head of the victim.
This, he was teaching about free speech in his classroom in a secular country and even offered his muslim students the oppourtunity to leave. He wasn't burning the Quran in the great mosque in Mecca.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well that's the point isn't it. It's complex. Capitalism is ultimately about property relations and the free market. I don't have a raging hard-on for capitalism, but it is a bit weird for me to hear that capitalism has caused more wars, deaths, poverty and suffering than anything in history.
Definitely wasn’t saying capitalism has caused more deaths than anything else in history, it’s just another ‘ism’ that does have blood on its hands.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
At this point you shouldn't mesh up the two together.
  1. ISIS had a lot of commanders/people from Chechnya, but those are the guys who were active in Chechnya in the 90's/early 00's – and had to flee or be killed
  2. Current Chechnya certainly has a leaning towards a very radical interpretation of Islam, but the only thing they don't have is ISIS connections. This is the only reason Kadyrov is still at power – basically at some point Putin cut a deal with Kadyrov-senior (who had been blown up by terrorists at some point later) that gave Chechnya a de-facto autonomy & an enormous financial backing in the exchange of them getting rid of their inner radical Islamic terrorism problem
  3. More so, I'd argue that the current religious radicalisation of Chechnya has only one goal – to create a more controlled state with a certain set of punishable rules around the figure of their national leader (so it's more of a totalitarian state than a truly religious one)
Thanks for the clarification. It seems then that a whole generation of Chechens has been mentally fecked,and perhaps they have ended up radicalizing their children

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Just curious. How is capitalism responsible for all that? War, poverty and suffering

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Thanks for the clarification. It seems then that a whole generation of Chechens has been mentally fecked,and perhaps they have ended up radicalizing their children
Yeah, the generation that grew up/matured during the war (2 wars) was drastically radicalised. Part of them adjusted to Kadyrov's rule (hence the recent killings of homosexuals etc. – Chechen's government makes sure that they always have "an enemy" present), part of them that fought for another side fled the country, mostly to the Middle East. Well, the radical part of that generation – obviously the majority are still peaceful and reasonable but, as it's almost always the case, the radicals are the one that make the news.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
IMHO the world was never better than now, and thanks to capitalism

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just curious. How is capitalism responsible for all that? War, poverty and suffering
I think the easiest responsibility to gauge is the degradation of the environment for capitalistic gains & the suffering it has caused throughout the centuries.

Kopral Jono

My only problem with Western critiques of Islam is, most often than not, they're superficial in nature and the most vocal ones are typically the first who claim open-mindedness and the like. It's not that one is not allowed to make fun of Islam, I'm a proponent of free speech and there are indeed some extremely dodgy aspects within the faith, but it's boring and it feels a bit hypocritical at times if you ask me.

There are surely better ways than just ironically saying 'religion of peace' like a broken record each time these things happen.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So it seems some of his students’ parents (and presumably some students themselves) may have played some kind of part in this. Has any link been established between them and the attacker?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So it seems some of his students’ parents (and presumably some students themselves) may have played some kind of part in this. Has any link been established between them and the attacker?
One has been arrested, but no context was given to that person’s relationship with the decapitator.

jeff_goldblum

IMHO the world was never better than now, and thanks to capitalism
That's a fair perspective, although probably one influenced by the fact that the way resources have been distributed under capitalism has led to you having the internet and a smartphone/computer. If it had left you, like it leaves millions of people every year, starving whilst multinational corporations feed your country's agricultural produce to factory farmed livestock to sell to Americans, or export it to Europe to feed to free range cows to feed to Europeans, you'd probably have a different perspective. Undoubtedly capitalism has made amazing things possible by the way organisations can amass resources, it's also led to millions of deaths by the way it directs resources away from people who can't pay for them. It will probably end up killing us all as we destroy the planet in its name.

Which is all besides the point though. The poster I was replying to was saying that the positives of religion were made redundant by the negatives. I was trying to ascertain whether he was treating religion differently than he'd treat another ideology, rather than trying to get into a discussion about whether capitalism is good or bad or not.

Anyway I'm taking away from the point of the thread so I won't digress further. @e.cantona and @Shamana - I hope you get something of an answer to your comments in the above. Would be happy to discuss further in a more suitable thread.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I think the easiest responsibility to gauge is the degradation of the environment for capitalistic gains & the suffering it has caused throughout the centuries.
Ok, but if there was no capitalism, whatever capitalism is that other systems are not. Would the world be less messed up?

With religion you can do this. No religion 10.000 or 1.000 years ago, would the world be a better place. Maybe, maybe not. Today? Yes, most likely a better place, imo.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
We are at somewhat of a pinnacle due to capitalism, but that hasn’t come with an unblemished history for it.
of course not. i'm not saying capitalism is perfect, but there hasn't been found, yet, a better system
the same happens with democracy, is it perfect? far from it, but what is it better?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
That's a fair perspective, although probably one influenced by the fact that the way resources have been distributed under capitalism has led to you having the internet and a smartphone/computer. If it had left you, like it leaves millions of people every year, starving whilst multinational corporations feed your country's agricultural produce to factory farmed livestock to sell to Americans, or export it to Europe to feed to free range cows to feed to Europeans, you'd probably have a different perspective. Undoubtedly capitalism has made amazing things possible by the way organisations can amass resources, it's also led to millions of deaths by the way it directs resources away from people who can't pay for them. It will probably end up killing us all as we destroy the planet in its name.

Which is all besides the point though. The poster I was replying to was saying that the positives of religion were made redundant by the negatives. I was trying to ascertain whether he was treating religion differently than he'd treat another ideology, rather than trying to get into a discussion about whether capitalism is good or bad or not.

Anyway I'm taking away from the point of the thread so I won't digress further. @e.cantona and @Shamana - I hope you get something of an answer to your comments in the above. Would be happy to discuss further in a more suitable thread.
there's no way i can argue that capitalism has it's flaws, I would be blind if i did
still, thanks to capitalism, the number of poor people has decreased, so has the life expectancy, the confortness we have is incredible
i remember visiting an old castle in Ireland, it was from the 13th century, it was a guided visit, and what shocked me is that the king from that age lived a lot worse than most of the poor persons from today
and, correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not expert, i think capitalism is the reason why we have a much better life now

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ok, but if there was no capitalism, whatever capitalism is that other systems are not. Would the world be less messed up?

With religion you can do this. No religion 10.000 or 1.000 years ago, would the world be a better place. Maybe, maybe not. Today? Yes, most likely a better place, imo.
I’m not anti-capitalist & agree with you on this. It’s better than whatever alternative might exist in its place, even with all its flaws.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
of course not. i'm not saying capitalism is perfect, but there hasn't been found, yet, a better system
the same happens with democracy, is it perfect? far from it, but what is it better?
No worries, brother, we think the same in this regard.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
i think suggesting that religious texts be edited to reflect modern ethics, as if that's a completely reasonable solution or should be taken as such, shows a complete ignorance for the sanctity of these texts down to the very word in the lives of religious people.

Gehrman

i think suggesting that religious texts be edited to reflect modern ethics, as if that's a completely reasonable solution or should be taken as such, shows a complete ignorance for the sanctity of these texts down to the very word in the lives of religious people.
That was in jest. It would spark off god knows much conflict as well. But since devout religous people often demand censorship it would be fun to see atheists demand that they censor themselves and their scriptures which modern day secularists consider destructive, offensive and oppresive.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Curious to know your thoughts regarding the different versions of the bible?