Teacher beheaded near Paris after showing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

Foxbatt

Kind of off topic, but what is it that Morocco gets right? Is it that the government is moderate and demands their imams to be licensed and trained by the government? Maybe that’s the way forward in other countries.
That's the way in almost all the Muslim countries. The problem is that due to politics the extremists have a louder voice and hence more clout.
In Europe and non Muslim countries they should do this.
As for China I am sure all this kind of boycott would start if Xi approves the cartoon to be put up on the Chinese government buildings.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Kind of off topic, but what is it that Morocco gets right? Is it that the government is moderate and demands their imams to be licensed and trained by the government? Maybe that’s the way forward in other countries.
Gets right on what account? Terrorism?

Around 2 years ago, 2 lovely scandinavian girls who were tourists had their heads sawed off and their bodies mutilated by 3 guys. I think in all 9 were arrested and convicted and sentenced to death(I think the first capital punishment in quite a while). Naturally this was just 1 incidence and the locals were obviously outraged and were all on board to see them punished. Regretably I watched the video of the murder and really wished I hadn't. I think apart from that incident they are doing quite well on that front though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Louisa_Vesterager_Jespersen_and_Maren_Ueland

Last edited:

fergieisold

That's the way in almost all the Muslim countries. The problem is that due to politics the extremists have a louder voice and hence more clout.
In Europe and non Muslim countries they should do this.
As for China I am sure all this kind of boycott would start if Xi approves the cartoon to be put up on the Chinese government buildings.
Interesting that it’s not limited to Morocco. They have great surf down there, seems very safe to visit!

rotherham_red

So you’re justifying it because other shit happens? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Where did I justify it? You were the one who said you'd have to be an idiot to think Islam in Europe wasn't a concern. I'm just using your admittedly weak and flawed logic to highlight how redundant it was.

But now that I've seen you make the leap you've made, I should have just let you wallow in your ignorance.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Not 100% sure which viewpoints you're referring to - besides one poster, who did it quite openly. Where did you make out such a sharp distinction?

In any case, would be interesting to hear more about your criticism of the terminological framework.
Sorry, I was prompted by the back and forth between @Dante and @calodo2003, but also just thinking out loud a bit. It's been on my mind lately, especially after just reading a history of the Crusades, which while excellent suffers a bit from the author's painful efforts to try to distinguish between the different spheres of motivation which prompted those conflicts - were they primarily motivated by their faith, or by politics, or by economic incentive, etc. It seemed to me to be missing the point that this effort to categorise along these lines might not have made much if any sense to those involved. It also - unfairly IMO - implies a cynicism on the part of those involved whenever the supposedly purely spiritual mission became tainted by the prospect of material gain. Whereas I would suggest that such material gain would have been understood as forming a crucial element of God's plan and reward for those fighting on his behalf. I believe much the same could be said of those jihadi movements who defy the "religious/political" categorization.

I was also prompted by re-reading Talal Asad lately, who argues that the very category of religion - and by extension politics, secularism, etc. - is a concept born in the West in the post-Reformation era, and then projected on to - and perhaps adopted by to a certain degree - the non-Western world:

The "insistence that religion has an autonomous essence…invites us to define religion (like any essence) as a transhistorical and transcultural phenomenon…Yet this separation of religion from power is a modern Western norm, the product of a unique post-Reformation history. The attempt to understand Muslim traditions by insisting that in them religion and politics (two essences modern society tries to keep conceptually and practically apart) are coupled must, in my view, lead to failure. At its most dubious, such attempts encourage us to take up an a priori position in which religious discourse in the political arena is seen as a disguise for political power."

I'm aware there are critiques of Asad on this, and I wouldn't fight over this. I'm also skeptical over how far the supposed distinction between religion and politics in the modern West has actually gone, and I suspect the legacy of the Christian past continues to underlie much of what we'd understand to be secular politics in the West today. But that is just speculation on my part, with nothing much to back it up.

Foxbatt

2cents it's the same isn't it? Everywhere from India to Sri Lanka to USA and the Muslim countries. Religion is the most important aspect. I mean even the national anthem of UK is God save the Queen. Muslim countries still don't know how to do their PR on this.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
There was the very active French involvement in the over throw of Gaddafi in Libya. The country is a mess with all sorts of extremists running all over the country. One of the most developed countries in Africa is now back to the dark ages.
Their current involvement in Syria. Again Assad maybe a murderer and murdered hundreds of thousands of his own people but the French had no right to get involved and send troops to a foreign country. Most of what the French support are Al Nusra. Yes I am not mentioning the US because this topic has nothing to do with them.
Yeah, France did support the overthrow of two dictators. Yes, they also did a pretty shitty job of it. As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of dictators to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

Foxbatt

Yeah, France did support the overthrow of two dictators. Yes, they also did a pretty shitty job of it. As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of dictators to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.
Why not? It's non of france's business. They have destroyed one of the most developed countries in Africa. They didn't just support the overthrow. They destroyed the country for generations to come.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
1990s to now: As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of dictators to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

1950s to 1980s: As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of communists to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

1800s to 1940s: As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of savages to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

Just another buzzword for imperialists to continue their agenda of expanding their economic interests.

Foxbatt

Funny enough the word 'savages' is back out as the historical dog whistle.

feck French business, people got the right to boycott what they want.
This is the problem. France is demanding that this boycott should be stopped. That is pouring fuel into the fire. From a tragic and horrific incident of the murder of a poor teacher this has now becoming a different issue. Marcon has fallen into Erdogan's trap.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
1990s to now: As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of dictators to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

1950s to 1980s: As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of communists to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

1800s to 1940s: As for 'no right' I don't recognize the right of savages to play the 'no meddling in our domestic politics' card I'm afraid.

Just another buzzword for imperialists to continue their agenda of expanding their economic interests.
Ah get fecked with that shite, so it's imperialist now to not want to leave millions of people living under oppression, torture and arbitrary murder? Because gosh yeah I'm sure they'd be sitting there feeling totally patronized by our western sense of superiority if we acted to stop some cnut from pulling out their fingernails in a dungeon and raping their female relatives.

Foxbatt

Ah get fecked with that shite, so it's imperialist now to not want to leave millions of people living under oppression, torture and arbitrary murder? Because gosh yeah I'm sure they'd be sitting there feeling totally patronized by our western sense of superiority if we acted to stop some cnut from pulling out their fingernails in a dungeon and raping their female relatives.
It is worse now. The Intervention made it worse. At least under Gaddafi if you do not deal in politics you are left alone and have a reasonably good life. Basic necessities were free including staple food. Education was free. There was religious freedom too. Now it is a hell hole for everyone. It has nothing to do with oppression. It has all to do with oil.

reelworld

It is worse now. The Intervention made it worse. At least under Gaddafi if you do not deal in politics you are left alone and have a reasonably good life. Basic necessities were free including staple food. Education was free. There was religious freedom too. Now it is a hell hole for everyone. It has nothing to do with oppression. It has all to do with oil.
I don't want to waddle into this thread, but I can't believe that this needs to be said :lol: . I mean how thick are you to think that any Western countries interfere into ME and Africa other than natural resources

Foxbatt

I don't want to waddle into this thread, but I can't believe that this needs to be said :lol: . I mean how thick are you to think that any Western countries interfere into ME and Africa other than natural resources
It's not me who is saying this. It's the op I replied who is saying that it's to free them from oppression.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Must feel fn great to just know the answer and dismiss everything other than your own opinion as stupid, evil, etc

fergieisold

Around 2 years ago, 2 lovely scandinavian girls who were tourists had their heads sawed off and their bodies mutilated by 3 guys. I think in all 9 were arrested and convicted and sentenced to death(I think the first capital punishment in quite a while). Naturally this was just 1 incidence and the locals were obviously outraged and were all on board to see them punished. Regretably I watched the video of the murder and really wished I hadn't. I think apart from that incident they are doing quite well on that front though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Louisa_Vesterager_Jespersen_and_Maren_Ueland
I was reading the way the religion is preached means it’s tightly controlled by the government to reduce the risk of extremist material? I remember the murders, awful. I haven’t watched a beheading video since I was younger, grim and best avoided!

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Around 2 years ago, 2 lovely scandinavian girls who were tourists had their heads sawed off and their bodies mutilated by 3 guys....
Why do you bring that up? Crimes happen to tourists as well.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Tbf it’s not just any crime is it? It’s brutal murder of innocent people in the name of Islam.
Oh, come on... it was rather bad luck (wrong place at the wrong time) than anything else. It is a random attack (as random as it gets) by some lunatics who claim following some kind of Islamic preachings. They were just some poor souls (okay, ISIS wannabes that could not get to Syria) with nothing else to live for in their lives. One week later, and they might have gotten bored and called the whole thing off.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I didn’t defend how the French intervened, nor would I defend how the UK or US have done so in various countries. What I do defend however is the right to intervene against dictatorships and refuse to accept some blanket right against domestic interference for rulers that oppress their subjects. Obviously to date interventions have been done for self interest not for humanitarian reasons, and that’s been true going right back to the world wars.

fergieisold

Oh, come on... it was rather bad luck (wrong place at the wrong time) than anything else. It is a random attack (as random as it gets) by some lunatics who claim following some kind of Islamic preachings. They were just some poor souls (okay, ISIS wannabes that could not get to Syria) with nothing else to live for in their lives. One week later, and they might have gotten bored and called the whole thing off.
It was pre meditated murder where they actively went to look for victims. I’m not going to reduce the severity of murder in the name of Islam to some nutty poor souls that had nothing to live for.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
It was pre meditated murder where they actively went to look for victims. I’m not going to reduce the severity of murder in the name of Islam to some nutty poor souls that had nothing to live for.
Yes, murder.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why do you bring that up? Crimes happen to tourists as well.
Because I guess he was talking about terroism in morocco and I found the incident related to the matter. in all 24 people were arrrested on this incident. It wasn't to paint to Morocco as some sort of terrorist spawning ground.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Also so much for "they come from anywhere". This dude's sister (or sister in law) was in ISIS and had several charges against him. Why can't this just be a failure of french intelligence?

fergieisold

Also so much for "they come from anywhere". This dude's sister (or sister in law) was in ISIS and had several charges against him. Why can't this just be a failure of french intelligence?
I guess it's just incredibly difficult to keep track of people like this even when they're known about. The resources to track the many 1000s of people on some sort of terrorist list 24 hours a day just isn't available I suppose.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Sorry, the thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent. Do you mean Abdullakh Anzorov? To be fair, French intelligence didn't cut off anybody's head over some drawings they found offensive.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sorry, the thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent. Do you mean Abdullakh Anzorov? To be fair, French intelligence didn't cut off anybody's head over some drawings they found offensive.
Is that his name? The chechen who did this. I'm saying people talk like your average Muslim can at any time "lose it" but with almost all these cases the perpetrator has strong links to terrorist orgs and past crimes.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Is that his name? The chechen who did this. I'm saying people talk like your average Muslim can at any time "lose it" but with almost all these cases the perpetrator has strong links to terrorist orgs and past crimes.
I had to go looking for it but I think that's his name, yeah. I don't think your garden variety muslim would do this sort of thing. Indeed, most people find murder abhorrent no matter if they are religious or not.

While it appears there are some decent links that suggest he was somewhat dangerous, Mon. Paty was an infinitely small target so that decreases the likelihood of any kind of intervention from authorities.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Why are there so many Islamic extremist groups? And they exist across continents, either part of a larger collective or splintered.

Sorry if it comes across as too simplistic a question

Foxbatt

Why are there so many Islamic extremist groups? And they exist across continents, either part of a larger collective or splintered.

Sorry if it comes across as too simplistic a question
In the early 50s and 60s when the Arab countries became independent countries, some of them were artificially created by The British. Eg. Saudi Arabai, Kuwait, Iraq and the Gulf countries, Syria etc. Some of them like Iraq and Syria were taken over by coups and dictators took over. In Egypt they had a monarchy who was so corrupt they over threw him and a military junta was formed. Saudi Arabia was not Saudi Arabia earlier. It was called Hijaz. When Ibn Saud took the country by force, he made a pact with Mohamed Ibn Wahab a religious zealot. Ibn Saud to rule politically while Mohamed Ibn Wahab to rule religiously. This was the pact that formed Saudi Arabia.
Egypt used to be the centre of Islamic learning at the Al Azhar University. Gamal Abdul Nasser who took over after the overthrow of the King was against the Brotherhood and Saudi Arabia. In fact he fought a war against the Saudis.
The Saudis then made a pact with the Americans for petrodollar. That was when they started getting powerful as the money flowed in. They wanted to spread their version of Islam. They started funding scholarships and Imams to Muslim countries. These scholarships were normally not sourced through the governments but privately. Most of the young children were sent to Pakistan to study at the Madrassas. These were during the days of the Muhajideen in Afghanistan where the notorious Osama was being supported by the Americans. The Mujahideen became the Taliban. Many of these students went back to their countries and started implementing what they studied there, which is an extreme form of Islam. This is the start. The Saudis didn't care if they did those violent stuff outside of their country. If you notice that most of these terrorist activities are caused by Sunnis and not Shias. It shows the political nature of this.
Now there are lots of these independent groups who officially have no connection but in name. Look at the bombs in Sri Lanka on Easter where they blew up a church and also a hotel. yes both Al Queda and Isis have recruits in almost every Muslim country. So long they do not cause a problem in those countries the governments turn a blind eye to them. Why care if they go to Syria and die on the battle? This the governments attitude. Anyway they die as cannon fodder while the leaders lead a good life with women and money. It is all politics to the people and countries who sponsor them while the poor idiots go and get themselves killed for no good reason.
So mostly they are splintered individual groups but combine and wanted to Jihad so go and get themselves killed.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ladies and gentleman, the turkish deputy minister of Culture and Tourism. Do you guys really need a translation?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sorry but so much of this is bad history.

In the early 50s and 60s when the Arab countries became independent countries, some of them were artificially created by The British. Eg. Saudi Arabai, Kuwait, Iraq and the Gulf countries, Syria etc.
Egypt has been independent since the 20s, Iraq and Saudi Arabia since the 30s (although Saudi Arabia was independent under divided kingdoms since the 20s and even before), Syria and Lebanon since the 40s. British influence was maintained in Egypt and Iraq by treaties backed by military force and local elite alliances, but was effectively ended in 1952 and 1958 respectively when the monarchies were both overthrown. Syria and Lebanon were the responsibility of France until they were granted independence after WW2. It is true, however, that the UAE (formerly known as the Trucial States), Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait only achieved real independence from the British in the 60s and early 70s.

Although Britain had a hand in the creation of the modern borders of these countries, none of them can be said to be wholly artificial. They weren’t dreamed up by British officials out of thin air, and a range of factors contributed to their modern existence. Of the states in today’s Middle East, the country that comes closest to the type of artificiality suggested is probably Jordan.

Some of them like Iraq and Syria were taken over by coups and dictators took over. In Egypt they had a monarchy who was so corrupt they over threw him and a military junta was formed. Saudi Arabia was not Saudi Arabia earlier. It was called Hijaz. When Ibn Saud took the country by force, he made a pact with Mohamed Ibn Wahab a religious zealot. Ibn Saud to rule politically while Mohamed Ibn Wahab to rule religiously. This was the pact that formed Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia was not called the Hijaz. The Hijaz is the region along the middle of the Red Sea coastal plain of the Arabian Peninsula and its hinterland, including the holy cities. The Saudis’ origin is in Najd, the north-central desert region of the peninsula where the first Saudi state rose in the 18th century, during the time when the Saudi-Wahhabi arrangement was made. That state conquered the Hijaz in the early 19th century, but was ended a few years later by an Egyptian force ostensibly acting on behalf of the Ottoman Empire. A second Saudi state rose in the middle of the 19th century in Najd, but never took the Hijaz, and was defeated by its Rashidi rivals. The third Saudi state - which survives to this day - rose at the start of the 20th century, and only conquered and annexed the Hijaz in 1924/25. It then united Najd with the Hijaz and a bunch of other regions and declared the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the early 30s. The Hijaz had previously been an autonomous Ottoman province run by the Hashimites which had declared independence and proclaimed itself a kingdom during WW1.

Egypt used to be the centre of Islamic learning at the Al Azhar University. Gamal Abdul Nasser who took over after the overthrow of the King was against the Brotherhood and Saudi Arabia. In fact he fought a war against the Saudis.
Nasser never fought a war directly against the Saudis. At times he opposed them and at other times he was forced to ally to them. The closest they came to actual conflict was when he sent Egyptian troops to North Yemen in 1962 to support the Republican coup there, while the Saudis supported the overthrown monarchy.

The Saudis then made a pact with the Americans for petrodollar. That was when they started getting powerful as the money flowed in. They wanted to spread their version of Islam. They started funding scholarships and Imams to Muslim countries. These scholarships were normally not sourced through the governments but privately. Most of the young children were sent to Pakistan to study at the Madrassas.
Sorry, what children are you talking about here? Saudis? Or Afghans?

These were during the days of the Muhajideen in Afghanistan where the notorious Osama was being supported by the Americans. The Mujahideen became the Taliban.
There’s no real evidence the Americans directly supported bin Laden, although there is some debate over whether he was an indirect recipient of funds before the founding of al Qaeda. Certainly American dollars supported plenty of other unsavory characters during the war, and the American effort definitely helped create the conditions in which al Qaeda could form and operate.

Only a few obscure mujahidin went on to form the Taliban in the 90s. The vast majority who continued fighting after the Soviet withdrawal - including nearly all the famous commanders/warlords who survived the 80s - went on to fight against the Taliban during the civil war of the 90s (and since 9/11 some, such as Hekmatyar and Haqqani, have allied with them).

Many of these students went back to their countries and started implementing what they studied there, which is an extreme form of Islam. This is the start. The Saudis didn't care if they did those violent stuff outside of their country. If you notice that most of these terrorist activities are caused by Sunnis and not Shias. It shows the political nature of this.
It may seem like this now, but it was Shi’i groups who actually pioneered the use of suicide bombings and massive car and truck bombings in the Middle East in the 80s and early 90s. Closer to the actual topic of this thread, it was Khomeini who prompted the first such blasphemy controversy in the West.

More generally, your post betrays a singular focus on Saudi Arabia and Wahhabism as the root cause of the extremism you’re trying to explain. As such, it neglects a range of other equally important factors - not just other active parties such as the Muslim Brotherhood, revolutionary Iran, or various regional movements, but also longer term trends in Islam, the impact of the West, the failure of so-called ‘secular’ authoritarian regimes to provide dignified lives for their subjects, and a host of other material factors.

*(edit): Haqqani actually joined the Taliban well before 9/11.

Last edited: