Team for the Europa League

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
so I assume we’re planning to play a 2nd string considering we’ve got a decent squad. We will be playing Thursday/Sunday so it’s important to rotate and keep fresh legs.

Romero, Jones, tuanzebe, Young, dalot, Matic, Fred, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood.

I’d like to see that for the group stages, maybe James instead of Garner if he’s not in the starting 11 by then.

I think it’ll be vital experience for the young lads. This team should make it through a group stage.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Well that team ain’t happening. I can’t see Ole going with all those youngsters in the line up in one full swing.

Mata will probably start every game. I can see James starting most too.

witchtrials

so I assume we’re planning to play a 2nd string considering we’ve got a decent squad. We will be playing Thursday/Sunday so it’s important to rotate and keep fresh legs.

Romero, Jones, tuanzebe, Young, dalot, Matic, Fred, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood.

I’d like to see that for the group stages, maybe James instead of Garner if he’s not in the starting 11 by then.

I think it’ll be vital experience for the young lads. This team should make it through a group stage.
You don't see Sanchez even getting a shot in the Europa matches then?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We'll definitely rotate a lot in the early stages but it won't be as 'weak' as that.

I think we'll be eyeing up winning the Europa League again personally.

ArjenIsM3

I'll be happy if Gomes, Greenwood and Tuanzebe get some cup games. Don't care that much about the rest.

Romero
Dalot-Tuanzebe-Smalling-Young
Matic-Fred
Greenwood-Gomes-James
Alexis

Jacko21

That’s the team I’d pick if I wanted an early exit from EL in order to focus on the league.

They’ll be rotation, but that’s a League Cup team.

Though I guess it depends on the group we’re handed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You don't see Sanchez even getting a shot in the Europa matches then?
I’ll be honest I completely forgot about him!

Yes he could make the team if he’s up for it, but if he gives us the same crap as last year I’d rather give the young guns the minutes.

FujiVice

Romero, Young, Smalling, Jones, Matic, Mata and Sanchez should all be players who start every match in the Europa League. With the limited game time, they could do a good job in that competition.

Zed 101

TBH if it is against weak opposition apart from maybe giving Greenwood, James, Gomes a run out I would keep the first 11 solid, victories build confidence, and confidence gives you victories, breaking that up by chopping and changing too much could ruin the momentum

Lee565

Think it may look like this -
---------------------romero
Dalot--smalling-tuanzebe-young
------------------garner-matic
James--------------mata------------gomes
-------------------greenwood

The only change that may happen is if Solskjear is still not sold on dalot at right back and uses him on the right wing with darmian at right back and James replacing Gomes on the left. I cant imagine the club wanting to pay Sanchez an appearance fee for a match against probably some obscure team from a league weaker than the championship in the group stages.

Bwuk

Romero
Dalot - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Young
Matic - Fred
Greenwood - Mata - James
Sanchez​

Good blend of experience and youth.

witchtrials

I cant imagine the club wanting to pay Sanchez an appearance fee for a match against probably some obscure team from a league weaker than the championship in the group stages.
You really think penny-pinching at the club is bad enough that the board would tie the manager's hands on team selection to save on appearance bonuses? I hadn't got the impression of things being that tight.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As long as Gomes starts I don't care about the rest of the XI

hobbers

We should be trying to win the Europa League, not wasting game time on unfavoured, past it players like Matic, Jones or Young.

Use it to give opportunities to Gomes and Greenwood absolutely. Dalot and Fred as well. Not the players who are definitely on their way out. That's just stupid.

The League Cup is for giving game time to the outcasts, not Europa.

In Rainbows

I'll be happy as long as Gomes, Garner, and Greenwood get to start matches. Maybe substitute appearances for Garner.

If we're all in acknowledgement that this is a transitional year, we should be giving them a good amount of minutes. Build for the future where we'll really try to challenge. I'm not asking for a full starting lineup full of youngsters, just the 3 very best ones.

Dread Devil

Romero

Dalot - Smalling - Tuanzebe - Young

Matic - Garner /Perreira

Mata / Gomez

Greenwood - James

Martial / Rashford

I would love to see this team in Europa league, a little experience and a lot of youth to start but as we hopefully progress we can balance it out.​

rotherham_red

Think Gomes, Greenwood, and Axel, and potentially Chong, will be starting these games without a doubt. Then the rest of Fred, Matic, Jones/Smalling, Dalot, Sanchez, Mata, James etc will be making up the numbers. There will be the odd first teamer included for insurance and to overcome any potentially sticky situations, but I think for the vast majority of us our focus will be on the kids who play before anything else.

0le

Romero
Dalot Tuanzebe Jones Young
Fred Matic
James Mata Gomes
Greenwood

Yes, I think this will be the team. Gomes and Chong will probably be rotated with each other. Greenwood will start all games. Tuanzebe may also be rotated with smalling in the away games.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We should be trying our best to win the EL in my opinion!
Absolutely agree 100%
It's the biggest competition that we are involved with, that we have a realistic chance of winning.
We now have a very young squad, for them to win a big European trophy, such as the UEFA Cup (to me its always been the UEFA Cup and always will be) it would be a tremendous achievement

PieCrust

We should be putting in the effort to win this. Top 4 is far from certain and once again, this may be our best chance to make CL next year.

Also, I'm always of the opinion that a club on the scale of United should be attempting to win every competition and have the resources to put together a competitive squad across all competitions. We shouldn't be throwing youngsters out there just for the sake of getting them game time, but rather, looking to integrate them when it makes sense.

Ultimately, Europa League is our current level and United certainly is not above putting an effort into this competition.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I would prefer to see a B team rather than exhaust the first team players. I would love to the see the young players but also because our first team is not deep enough to risk injuries

R'hllor

Play those who arent planned for next PL game after, dont even have those on the bench and specially dont bring them when we travel. If Arsenal could get out of the group with bunch of u18 u23, we can do it also ez. That way our starting line up for PL will be fresh like we are not in Europe at all.

Redtings

This could be a good option if we wanted to rest our "starting 11"...

Romero
Dalot Tuanzebe Smalling Young
Fred Matic
James Gomes Sanchez
Greenwood​

Bestietom

Ole will put out a decent team in all games as he hates to lose. He will give youngsters a chance, but not all together.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Play those who arent planned for next PL game after, dont even have those on the bench and specially dont bring them when we travel. If Arsenal could get out of the group with bunch of u18 u23, we can do it also ez. That way our starting line up for PL will be fresh like we are not in Europe at all.
This.
We should be able to get out of the group with fringe players and youth

By the time the knock out stages come about we will have played 24 PL games. We should have a good idea what we need to prioritize.

JB7

No way are we making 10/11 changes for Europa games ffs :lol:

We'll play to win the competition and rightly so.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm very hopeful we do this. It'd be nice to get some games at CF for Greenwood and CB for Tuanzebe. It'll keep the likes of Dalot, Young, Fred, Matic, Mata, and Smalling/Jones sharp in case they need to step into the first-team due to injuries/suspensions while giving some of the younger lads good experience. I still think the likes of Garner, Chong and Gomes would be on the bench fairly often and if we play some tougher opponents I think Ole might bring some of the more first-team regular players in. I want to see more of Gomes and Chong in particular and hope they get to start, but with Mata, Sanchez, maybe James/Lingard needing to play etc I think it's hard for them to get as much game time we we want at this moment. They will probably be developed a bit more slowly until Sanchez and Mata leave, then rather than having to buy multi-million pound replacements, we could just trust them completely in the next two years or so.

GK: Romero, Grant
FB: Dalot, Young, Darmian, Rojo
CB: Tuanzebe, Smalling, Jones, Bailly
CM: Matic, Fred, Andreas, Garner
AM: Mata, James, Chong, Gomes
ST: Greenwood, Sanchez

I'd hope we can take a squad of 20~ more like this most of the time for Europa League, at least in the group stage. However, I think Ole will want to take the competition a bit more seriously and probably include Pogba and Rashford/Martial on the bench sometimes (especially whilst we have injuries to Sanchez and Bailly and need to fill out the travelling squad a bit more). McTominay will likely be involved occasionally for a bit more European experience etc. I'm excited for the competition though if we get to see some of the younger lads.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just don't play first team players especially the defenders. We don't need anybody to get injured and spoil the season.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
.........................Romero......................
..........Jones...tuanzebe...smalling
Dalot........Fred............garner.........young
.........................gomes.........................
...............greenwood....Sanchez.............

Grant / laird / darmain / tfm / Mejbri /Mata /Chong

Should be good enough for the early stages

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Realistically we'd only get 3rd or 4th in the PL so why the hell would we give the Europa such low priority? We should be aiming to win the thing, but obviously rotate against the weaker teams.

i'd take the Europa + CL footie over 4th + CL footie any day.

AJ Bullet

We can't wrap players in cotton wool. Play the best team for each game.
Some players we have to though, we are one Pogba injury away or Maguire injury from being a midtable team, because of our demented and lop sided transfer policies in the summer.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I will want to play it bit safe early on, say in first 3 matches and play strong team. Maybe with 4-5 changes to first XI but not totally different XI. Secure the progress and then play youngsters more. Also depends on what kind of draw we get.

neilv93

I like the look of Garner but I don't think he'll be that near the first team this season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Id try and rest the key players for the group stage and then look at playing the key players in the knock out. If there are players who have impressed during the group stages they deserve a chance in knock out.