Team Pre-Season Meal

Skills

Snitch
No salad on his cheeseburger is exactly the kind of thing I’d expect from Lingard
Because it's the right way to have a burger. The only salad you should have on a burger is a grilled onion.

Everything else takes away from the main show.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Because it's the right way to have a burger. The only salad you should have on a burger is a grilled onion.

Everything else takes away from the main show.
A sliver of lettuce and a slice of gherkin adds so much. As does a sheet of tomato.

Chairman Steve

Of course Shaw had fries AND chips!

I’d have loved to have seen one of these order sheets from the 80s or 90s when dieting was still in its earliest phases. I remember from SAFs book that Bosnich was ordering Chinese Takeaway on the team bus back from every match.

InfiniteBoredom

I massively doubt this. The dedication of professional footballers doesn't half get exaggerated, in my opinion.
Pretty sure you quoted the wrong person, but I agree. As someone who cook for athletes, they eat plenty of pasta, rice, mashes, fried stuffs (chips, sweet potatoes, fried chicken, parmigiana, etc), pizza, burgers, before and after games. We don’t do desserts often but when they were requested, ice creams and puddings are popular.

The Red Thinker

Ah yes... that restaurant will never see United players return. A wonderful invasion of privacy. Now the whole internet can begin fat-shaming Luke Shaw every time he makes a mistake and the rest of them as well.

It's pre-season and one meal doesn't change jacksh*t. But the overreacting public that uses the platform of vile oneupmanship (Twitter) will use this to troll these people more.

Lovely.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ah yes... that restaurant will never see United players return. A wonderful invasion of privacy. Now the whole internet can begin fat-shaming Luke Shaw every time he makes a mistake and the rest of them as well.

It's pre-season and one meal doesn't change jacksh*t. But the overreacting public that uses the platform of vile oneupmanship (Twitter) will use this to troll these people more.

Lovely.
Bet you're fun at parties.

Fully Fledged

Lovely.
You do realise that it was probably an employee on minimum wage that took a photo of that and posted it on their twitter page not the actual restaurant.

Luke Shaw was one of our best players last season and IMO England's best player at the Euros. If he can keep that up he can eat whatever he likes.

Apokalips

No salad on his cheeseburger is exactly the kind of thing I’d expect from Lingard
At first I read it as though he wanted a cheeseburger but take out the burger and keep the cheese. I have actually known a vegetarian who would order that at McDonald's :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's all about well done steak lads. Stop eating raw bloody flesh. It's higher risk. :lol:
It's dry and tough to chew.

Anything above medium is a waste of meat. Even medium goes too far but if you're squeamish about red meat then cook it to medium. Otherwise just dark chicken meat, you can cook the feck out of it and stays relatively moist.

The Red Thinker

You do realise that it was probably an employee on minimum wage that took a photo of that and posted it on their twitter page not the actual restaurant.

Luke Shaw was one of our best players last season and IMO England's best player at the Euros. If he can keep that up he can eat whatever he likes.
You and I get it buddy. The Internet doesn’t. It’s already happening. Search Luke Shaw on Twitter right now

NecssryEvil

Never sure if people are just having a laugh on here but that's not blood coming out of your steak.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I always pictured Mata chilling while holding a book in one hand and munching cheescake with another... while Shaw having king's feast after scoring in the final and shouting to pass him some salt.

United in sin

Not a rare or medium rare steak in sight, that’s the most criminal thing there!
This!!

Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t get it? What am I missing?
Is that you Mason? I jest!

Well done steak is a not the best way to enjoy it. Chefs will give you the worst cuts. Medium rare provides the most juicy and flavored taste possible as the temperature it's prepared in is optimal for this. Well done is a waste and should be a cardinal sin!

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Not sure it has much to do with socio-economics to be honest. Culture perhaps. A lot of afro-caribbean families prefer well done (but well spiced) meat. I prefer medium-to-well-done myself, but my missus feels absolutely disgusted if she see anything pink on her steak and her dad was absolutely minted. Different strokes for different folks - I don't see the issue. There's also a religious element to it as a few religions frown upon undercooked meats (where blood is visible).
There is nothing wrong with a well done steak. I’ve had steak served medium-well or well done and it’s been cracking. If it’s dry, it’s awful. But I’ve been served Steak on tasting menus at some pretty decent restaurants that didn’t have a hint of pink and it tasted amazing.

Medium-Rare-only is practically a meme at this point. Don’t get me wrong, that’s how I order it, and cook it. But it’s entirely possible to enjoy a steak cooked for longer than you’d expect.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Lovely.
He’s arguably the best left back in world football at the moment. Nobody is fat shaming him. That’s 2018 banter.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It seems like they are picking from a menu. A lot of "chicken supreme", "halloumi fries" and "steak" in there :p

I'd love to see the full menu, though.
Yeah most places will offer large groups a choice of particular items (i.e. pick 1 of 3 or 4 possible choices). Just makes it easier to get everything out around the same time.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Your low carb discussion centers around Ketosis and its incredibly hard to maintain as the main fuel for the brain for example is carbohydrates. Also, the lesser your body fat percentage the less fat to burn and your body will start finding other sources of energy (ie muscle) etc. Carbs are easy to digest and your bodily readily uses it as a source of energy much quicker than fats and proteins.

Professional athletes have to eat carbs and alot of them. They may go into ketosis to get their weight down, but its impossible to maintain ketosis and player 2 games a week for 42 weeks of year.
Dunno about the top top level footballers but since I went keto I can run whole day on a pitch and play every day, meanwhile doing other trainings. Previously would be fecking knackered after 60 minutes of football alone. It also helped me to finally get rid of need for sugar in sweets, coffee and the likes. It’s not terribly professional level though, obviously.

Everybody is different maybe, Shaw doesn't even have a footballer's body and he is bloody fit, as was Rooney.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Yes but dietary science, conditioning etc have all moved on since then. You want to make it to the top? Then follow CR7 and be exemplary in your approach, food, exercise, etc etc..
Every player is not Ronaldo. I am sure top players all have cheat meals like this yet it hasn't stopped them from being world class.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
As soon as Luke Shaw’s form drops and/or he gets injured, this thread will be brought up.
Edit: by me, probably

UnrelatedPsuedo

Dunno about the top top level footballers but since I went keto I can run whole day on a pitch and play every day, meanwhile doing other trainings. Previously would be fecking knackered after 60 minutes of football alone. It also helped me to finally get rid of need for sugar in sweets, coffee and the likes. It’s not terribly professional level though, obviously.

Everybody is different maybe, Shaw doesn't even have a footballer's body and he is bloody fit, as was Rooney.
I promise you that Elite athletes eat dick-loads of Carbs for a reason. They’re not on diets. They have nutrition plans. You may feel sharp on a keto diet but you won’t perform at your top level in a decent standard of football without huge amounts of carbohydrates. That’s irrefutable fact. Your glycogen stores should be at 100% when you start any effort that has an anaerobic element of any decent duration.

RedDevil@84

I would have thought it was obvious that footballers need lots of carbs, because they burn those carbs way faster than a normal person would do.

It is a different thing if the footballer has the urge to go to McD all the time.

InfiniteBoredom

There is nothing wrong with a well done steak. I’ve had steak served medium-well or well done and it’s been cracking. If it’s dry, it’s awful. But I’ve been served Steak on tasting menus at some pretty decent restaurants that didn’t have a hint of pink and it tasted amazing.

Medium-Rare-only is practically a meme at this point. Don’t get me wrong, that’s how I order it, and cook it. But it’s entirely possible to enjoy a steak cooked for longer than you’d expect.
Were they bite size or high grade wagyu?

If there’s enough fat in it you can get away with well done, or smaller/thinner cuts, but from my experience working in a commercial kitchen it’s hard to cook a 1.5 inch thick piece of beef well done without taking all the moisture out of it on a grill. If you have time you can sous vide before giving it a sear, but it still won’t be as tender and flavourful as medium rare by the same method.