Teams you miss or do not miss in Premier League / European Competition

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I too miss the club with it's fascist fans because I like it's fascist fans so much. My username is also that of a fascist.

RoyH1

Miss Fiorentina and Sampdoria being relevant in Europe. Always liked seeing those clubs. Miss the likes of Coventry and Sheffield Wednesday in the top flight.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
+1 for Wednesday and Coventry. I think my mind still closely associates them with the PL as they were part of the league's formative years as I was growing up. I think I'm definitely underestimating just how long they've been gone though. Must be 20+ years now. Both clubs seem to have gone through Leeds United levels of mismanagement.

At least Coventry have a nice stadium though. Sounds like Hillsborough is going through a similar situation as Old Trafford, and they're still talking about the renovations which were planned in 2009 and still haven't happened. It looks ancient.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I too miss the club with it's fascist fans because I like it's fascist fans so much. My username is also that of a fascist.
I had similar thoughts. Lazio are one of the few clubs with an assumed dubious history and mentality. And then there is the username. :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Sheffield Wednesday - Like a few others it's because they were around a lot in my formative years. Large stadium too and they could get 40k+ for the big games back then so they're quite a sizeable club in my mind. I remember a brilliant 3-3 draw at their place one Christmas and they had some decent players like Des Walker and Chris Waddle. One downside is that they beat us in the League Cup final one season. I was glad when Forest came back to the top flight this past season for similar reasons.

Blackburn and Bolton - Clubs with a good heritage, and local north-west clashes too. Their fans would see us as rivals much more than we did them but there was often a good atmosphere at these games as a result. Seemed to always be loads of United fans at Ewood Park for games there and I miss seeing Blackburn's kits, something different with the half/half.

Stoke - There I said it! I liked how they'd piss people off. Fans were shithouses but again there'd often be a good atmosphere at the matches there. I enjoyed watching the battle of United going there, and here's the thing, they never bothered us too much when it came to results as we had a record of W13, D5, L2 against them while they were in the PL. They definitely inflicted more damaging defeats on Arsenal for example and hard-fought wins are always satisfying. I think there's room in the sport for different styles of play and I never found Pulis-ball offensive like many did. I liked that they were a different kind of test.

kaku06

Miss

Deportivo la coruna
AS Roma
Valencia
PSV Eindhoven
Lyon

Sunderland
Blackburn
Middlesbrough
Charlton
Birmingham

Siorac

Miss

Deportivo la coruna
AS Roma
Valencia
PSV Eindhoven
Lyon

Sunderland
Blackburn
Middlesbrough
Charlton
Birmingham
We played them as recently as last year in the EL semi-final. And they're in the EL with us this season, too.

AkaAkuma

Werder Bremen, and all the teams from smaller nations that could upset the big teams in Europe until the late 90s/ early 00s: Rosenberg, Panathinaikos, Anderlecht, Red Star, Steaua, Celtic etc.
was writing the exact same teams. Seeing a young player from those teams that would go on to break through into the big leagues. They leave a lot earlier now.

Red Star One

Feck me, I missed the username of the OP :lol: how shameless really. Lazio is the last team I miss I wish them fascist peasants only the worst :lol:

I’d like to see Boro back in the premier league for their academy, in Europe I wouldn’t mind if we saw Valencia and Porto back in glory

Oranges038

Don't miss Coventry at all, fecking Darren fecking Huckerby with his jinking run stupid hair and goal. Cnut.

In the PL maybe Boro, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton.

In the CL maybe Valencia, Olympiakos or Galatasary.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Birmingham - not because I particularly miss the club or that team but the years they were in the PL were some of the best years of my life. So every time someone mentions McFadden or Barry Ferguson, I remember the good times again :D

Deportivo is a great shout. That club reminds me of my childhood.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I miss non-rich teams going far in the UCL and competing against rich teams using mostly national/local players.

Nowadays it's mostly rich clubs ,who can sign the most expensive players from abroad, the only ones who can go further in the competition.

Bosman ruling killed any sort of equality in the UCL/European Cup.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
was writing the exact same teams. Seeing a young player from those teams that would go on to break through into the big leagues. They leave a lot earlier now.
Just some examples, the likes of Stoichkov, Schevchenko, Figo, and Nedved played on their national leagues until they were 23-24 years old.

Impossible to think that nowadays players that talented would be playing in the bulgarian, portuguese,czech, or ukrainian league until 23 years old... they would be signed by a big league as soon as they turn 18 or 19.

And that could hurt their raw talent a little bit, because football in big leagues is more systemic than individual, which might explain a bit the massive lack of raw talent we have nowadays.

colombianmancunian

I miss Wigan. Shite club with no fans, but they were an automatic six points and +10 to the goal difference every season for years, and they always seemed able to pull off an upset against one of our closest rivals too.
As an anecdote: they had a crap Colombian almost goalless “number 9”, Hugo Rodallega, who at a Sudamericano Sub 20 Tournament, claimed to be undoubtedly better than Messi :lol:

JSArsenal

Aston Villa - When they were a top 6 side under Martin O'Neill.

A few French teams from the mid 2000s - Lyon, Marseille, Bordeaux

Wolfsburg with Dzeko

Villareal - I feel they had some good players but I can't remember their names, they always seemed to be around. I think they've won the Europa League recently but it doesn't feel the same.

always_hoping

Oldham. Bolton, Wigan also as short trips from Manchester.

Crazy Gang Wimbledon anyone?

Red Stone

Do not miss Stoke, West Brom and Burnley, or any of the other teams that seemed to survive for years on end purely on shithousery and route one football, rather than actual quality and skill. Stoke in particular can get fecked and stay fecked. Terrible club, terrible football, terrible fans, terrible stadium.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Perugia.

Were home to footballers as diverse as Zeljko Kalac, Nakata, Al-Saadi Gaddafi and Jay Bothroyd in late 90s/early 2000s.

Manager then Serse Cosmi also the first I saw to have unique combination of wearing a suit with a baseball cap.

Got relegated in 2004 and went bust a year later and haven't returned to Serie A since which is surprising. Currently near bottom of Serie B.

Also had a soft spot for Malaga in those times. Had some good european runs and also flamboyant forward line of Dario Silva, Dely Valdes and Kiki Musampa. Then got taken over and should've knocked Dortmund out of 2013 CL at quarter final stage. Again money run out and they were relegated from La Liga quite a few seasons back.

Foreign equivalents of what Bolton were 15-20 years ago who've trod a similar downward path.

BigRon1985

Oldham. Bolton, Wigan also as short trips from Manchester.

Crazy Gang Wimbledon anyone?
You beat me to it! Celebrated like crazy when they finally got relegated after spending years stinking up the old First Division .......! :)

TheReligion

Abusive
As a kid for me there were always teams I considered Premier League teams or top european clubs based on their status when you really started to get into the game

Teams I miss
1. Coventry
Always felt like a premier league club for me based on when i started following in the early 90s, the Ricoh arena aswell was always a class stadium worthy of the Premier League

2. Lazio

For whatever reason always a big european side for me, the crest and the kit is just class for me, also crazy passionate fans, shame the team has not reached a european competition for sometime

3. Deportivo La Coruna

Another one of those sides who were always hanging around the Champions League or UEFA Cup in the early 2000s, some quality players at that time too

Teams I do not miss

1. Sunderland

Could not wait for them to finally get relegated last time, felt like they were literally only there for Newcastle to have a rival, always felt like a championship club

2. West Brom

Came up and down way to regularly to give a shit about, never watched a decent game involving them either

3. Zenit St Petersburg

No idea why, hated that Zenit team that beat us in the super cup, probably cause it was our best side in years and we rolled over so easy
Deportivo had a very good patch in the late 90s early 00s. It was 99/00 when they won La Liga with Roy Makaay top scoring and the maverick renegade Djhaminha pulling the strings.

They then seemed to play us in the CL every season. Diego Tristan and Valeron.

Lazio were most prominent again in 99/00 when they won Serie A on the final day having been massively behind Juve with only a few to play. Great team that. Nedved, before his move over to Juve, and Nesta before AC poached him and paired him with Maldini. Mijhalovic, Veron, Simeone, Salas, Stankovic…

Essentially you like late 90s early 00s football!

TheReligion

Abusive
Parma, I remember watching them as a kid due to Faustino Asprilla playing over there. I remember one match when Asprilla spanked Barcelona (way before their UEFAlona years).

Super Depor, they used to be a competitive team both in La Liga and UCL during the first half of 00s.
I miss Parma, Fiorentina, Deportivo in the European Cup. Bradford and Coventry in the league.

Sunderland can feck off. Cardiff - absolute non-entity of a club. Reading.
Was thinking the same!

that squad of 98 was unreal
Buffon, thuram, cannavaro, veron, crespo, asprilla and chiesa
Parma is a good shout. Don’t believe they ever won Serie A but then went on a 10 year spree (roughly) of winning multiple cup competitions and featuring in Europe.

They built a decent team over a period with Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Veron, Chiesa, Asprilla, Crespo, Zola, Paulo Sousa, Benarrivo, Dino Baggio..

ROFLUTION

Deportivo La Coruna. Still seems unfair that they had to go out in the semis against Porto over a abysmal red card for Andrade for nudging Deco. Should have won Champions League that year.

And their 4-0 comeback against Milan after having lost 4-1 at San Siro :drool: What players, Fran, Makaay, Victor, Tristan and the great magician Djalminha

Reiver

I miss Sunderland as they're relatively close to home and I could always get a ticket when United were playing there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Would have said milan but their back so that's done.

Sunderland for the prem for whatever reason even though I shouldn't really want them back.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Valencia with David Silva, David Villa & Juan Mata back in around 2006 and their ridiculously steep stadium

I miss teams of that ilk having these kind of players

I dont know if the talent pool is smaller or bigger clubs just hoard players

Inter (competitive) with Recoba, Vieri, Zanetti etc also

jasT1981

Teams I miss

Luton
Notts County
Oldham
QPR
Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield Utd
Wimbledon