Television Ted Lasso (Apple TV Football Comedy)

Tony247

Watched after so many emmy nominations, checked what's the hype about.

This show is assault on football. Clearly writers had no idea what football is. Series surprisingly lack football anecdotes, tactics etc. It's like football is some background topic that just happens while characters live their stories.

Season 1 started good. Had my hopes raised. Good acting. The central topic is really interesting and could have been much funnier. But unfortunately another american comedy ruined the subject due to weak script.

BTW, Only Murders In The Building I find much more interesting. Steve M and Martin S are too good and the script is strong too.

Tony247

I thought it was absolutely shite. Only managed two episodes. Unfunny and crass. Vulgar for the sake of it with an incredibly weak script. One of the worst shows I’ve tried to watch in ages.
I think in first episode when Ted said four quarters instead of two halves? Man, you need FA level 5 license to become a premier league coach. You can't just jump ship from american football to real football. But I let it slide thinking they are just building a funny plot around this (very flawed) idea, but eventually it might come good. But unfortunately script writers just didn't bother about football nuances at all. Very poor efforts by them. It is possible they made this series specifically for those don't watch football.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm late to this but thought I'd give it a go.

2 episodes in and I can't watch anymore.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

This show is assault on football. Clearly writers had no idea what football is. Series surprisingly lack football anecdotes, tactics etc. It's like football is some background topic that just happens while characters live their stories.

Season 1 started good. Had my hopes raised. Good acting. The central topic is really interesting and could have been much funnier. But unfortunately another american comedy ruined the subject due to weak script.

BTW, Only Murders In The Building I find much more interesting. Steve M and Martin S are too good and the script is strong too.
I thought it was absolutely shite. Only managed two episodes. Unfunny and crass. Vulgar for the sake of it with an incredibly weak script. One of the worst shows I’ve tried to watch in ages.
I'm late to this but thought I'd give it a go.

2 episodes in and I can't watch anymore.

Glad I am not the only one with these reactions. I have co-workers and friends of my wife who love this show and I tried it but I thought it was horrible and not funny. No idea why people like it but I guess because they aren't lifelong football fans they don't see problem with it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Tough crowd

Also
You watched this for some football tactical insight?.??

Jericholyte2

Who wants to break it to him?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
First season was very good. Second less so.

Its not a football show, it's a work place drama set in a football club, with some american and footy jokes thrown in.

This reminds me of the people that didnt like "black knight" because it's "stupid" or The Punisher because "its too violent".

mu4c_20le

I mean, its clearly meant for casuals, mostly the American market, while some footy fans can also enjoy it. That was pretty clear when it first came out, but now that its gettting all sorts of accolades, people are starting to hate it

Spoony

The People's President
Well thank feck I didn’t make it that far.
If memory serves me right, the second series was more about the characters - both main and secondary and their personal problems. It became insufferable. I didn't mind the premise - clueless American coach resembling Ned Flanders manages English football team. I had no issues with the potential clichés and with that the cringe. But it evolved into this bizarre unfunny drama containing a bloke thinking he was Roy Keane.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If memory serves me right, the second series was more about the characters - both main and secondary and their personal problems. It became insufferable. I didn't mind the premise - clueless American coach resembling Ned Flanders manages English football team. I had no issues with the potential clichés and with that the cringe. But it evolved into this bizarre unfunny drama containing a bloke thinking he was Roy Keane.
I wasn’t too bothered about the premise. Or whether it did the football side of things well. I just thought it was incredibly unfunny. Jokes landing flat, left right and centre. Which made it hard to watch. What made it unbearable to watch was the crudeness. The comic writing was so bad it didn’t earn the right to be that crude. It came across as childish boorishness Awful stuff altogether.

Spoony

The People's President
I wasn’t too bothered about the premise. Or whether it did the football side of things well. I just thought it was incredibly unfunny. Jokes landing flat, left right and centre. Which made it hard to watch. What made it unbearable to watch was the crudeness. The comic writing was so bad it didn’t earn the right to be that crude. It came across as childish boorishness Awful stuff altogether.
And bizarrely enough, plenty of folk loved it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Will watch but can't really say I'm excited. Season 2 was a major disappointment.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s fun to go through this thread and watch my enthusiasm for this show just completely deteriorate…

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I quite liked this show and pretty much everyone I know in real life does. Odd seeing how much hate it gets here :D

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
After episode 1, right?
I liked the first series… though there’s a chance I had Covid delirium and had just had a baby… but the second seemed to do that thing where they’d latched on to whatever people had responded well to (Ted Lasso being nice) and made the whole show a weird mawkish dissertation on the importance of being nice.

hobbers

The dumpster fire that keeps on burning.

Waiting on them bringing Corden into the cast.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Easily done when they're all in my head anyway :cool:
Good man.
Was I ever or is that sarcasm? I found it watchable but so incredibly basic.
Sarcasm, the only way I know how to express myself. I think we went through the same stages, semi-watchable and enjoyable to begin with, then we were both hate-watching it, and then we gave up. We're soul sisters, whether you like it or not.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I definitely enjoyed the first season a lot for what it was.

The second season was awful, though. Awful, awful.

LARulz

Half way through season 2 so avoiding this thread but I like it. It's created by Bill Lawrence (Scrubs creator) and can so clearly see his influence on the both funny and heart warming/emotional moments

Very easy to watch and enjoyable

saik

In a way, I'm glad to see so many people didn't like the second season. I really enjoyed the first season but the second season was boring as hell. Too much about personal problems and counselling and shit and not nearly enough about football.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In a way, I'm glad to see so many people didn't like the second season. I really enjoyed the first season but the second season was boring as hell. Too much about personal problems and counselling and shit and not nearly enough about football.
They did? Everyone I know who watched it loved S2.

I suspect people may be expecting more than it was ever going to deliver, rather than just enjoying it for what it was.

I quite liked this show and pretty much everyone I know in real life does. Odd seeing how much hate it gets here :D

saik

They did? Everyone I know who watched it loved S2.

I suspect people may be expecting more than it was ever going to deliver, rather than just enjoying it for what it was.
Was just referring to the posts I saw in here. Fair enough if people liked it. The second season was really boring for me.

Having said that, I will still watch season 3 as I really liked the first season. Hoping it will be more of that and focusses a bit more on football.