Television Ted Lasso (Apple TV Football Comedy)

stepic

2nd season was shocking, 3rd feels like it’s a bit more about the football rather than relationships I don’t give af about, so it’s been slightly better. But it’s still ultimately shit

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s a terrible show for a real football fan tbh. As in, really really bad. I just watch it because my niece is in it, but I even had to ask her if she’s in any more episodes because it’s a painful watch.

stepic

they seem to be trying to rehabilitate Nate this season. Yeah, nah. When you write someone as that much of a cnut for a whole season you don’t get to try and make it all better so quickly. Piss poor writing for Nate really.

Jamie has turned out to be one of the few decent characters weirdly enough.

decorativeed

The further along this gets, the more I wonder how it can possibly win any awards for anything. I like a lot of the cast, but the writing is fecking dreadful in general, and - while it seems someone in the writing team knows a bit about united players (the references to Roy Keane, Chicharito, and this amalgam character with bits of Ronaldo, Cantona and Ibra), the basic knowledge of how the game works (which American audiences will now be much more familiar with, post Welcome to Wrexham) is so far off it's ridiculous.

Amir

I find it very enjoyable if you don't take it seriously (which I don't).

I'm just a bit sorry they are taking themselves too seriously with having moved from short, 30-35 mins episode in the first season to 45-50 now. Wasn't really needed.

mu4c_20le

I generally agree when people say the show is better when its not about Ted, but it's time to tie the knot with Rebecca. If this is the final season then no point in dragging it out any further.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Lasso has barely done any actual coaching or inspiring since season 1. This show is all about the silly side plots. Lasso seems to do nothing, all the coaching and attention to the team come from his support staff. If they are going to have any sort of an arc he needs to have an inspirational trajectory for the second half of the season. All he does is walk about having stupid fecking panic attacks and Skyping his kid. Loved season 1 but this is gradually annoying me more and more. Hanging on to the end but I’d like to see the rest of it about him doing something actually impressive with this group of players instead of asking what a false nine is, and then making a stupid quip and walking out leaving it all to Beard and Roy. He at least ended this episode with something, but there needs to ge a shit ton more of that because right now he seems utterly pointless and peripheral.

NewDawnFades

There are so many incredible and ground breaking American comedies about just now, are people really watching this? What’s the appeal? Do you hate yourselves?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I have never seen anyone share a funny clip from this show for years… It’s literally just stuff like this now.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I have never seen any of the show before seeing that clip earlier today and I do not understand how it is from a TV show that adults watch.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I have never seen anyone share a funny clip from this show for years… It’s literally just stuff like this now.

"feck yeah 24601" :lol:

saik

Think it's a good idea to remove the 'comedy' from the thread title if I'm being honest. Nothing about it is comedy(or even football for that matter) anymore. It's just a drama/soap opera at this point.

stepic

I liked the part where a group of 20-something year old footballers with a free night in Amsterdam decide to stay in and have a pillow fight.

Amir

I liked the part where a group of 20-something year old footballers with a free night in Amsterdam decide to stay in and have a pillow fight.

Makes sense as them all sitting around deleting nudes photos of girlfriends because it's so wrong.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It's light entertainment with a broadly decent message and plenty of likeable characters. I don't get what some of you find so offensive about it.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The writing is shit and it's not funny.
Don’t waste your time watching it if you aren’t getting any enjoyment from it? Not like it’s been a massive commitment already made that you feel the need to see it through

Wing Attack Plan R

A show I actively hate. It has squandered the good will it generated in season 1.

The one thing it has - and I mean one and only - is that it lauds decency and kindness. It's wrapping that message up in an increasingly confused and slapdash cover, so I hope the eventual backlash extends only as far as the abysmal writing, and not to the concept of having leads who aren't the anti-heroes we've been accustomed to ever since Tony Soprano, Don Draper, and Walter White.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Don’t waste your time watching it if you aren’t getting any enjoyment from it? Not like it’s been a massive commitment already made that you feel the need to see it through
I did stop watching after that Christmas episode in season 2.

NLunited

I still enjoy it. Don‘t take the football part too seriously.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was a nice & easy watch when the episodes were 30 mins each, but feels like a drag now they moved to 50 min+ episodes. It’s also lost the charm of the first season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The writing is shit and it's not funny.
Absolutely terrible. Everything about it. Nothing at all believable. From the fact that it is based on a PL team full of players and coaches who seem to have little to no money, to the terrible writing and awful in -game shots. Ridiculous characters like Keeley. I think it is hard to rate as a genuine football fan, but if you know nothing about the game then perhaps it can work.

baskinginthesun

Didn't realize there was this many people that hated it so much. It's not my favorite show but, it's a fairly easy watch. Some of the plot lines are bit weird but, it's not exactly causing me to lash out in anger at it.