Television Ted Lasso (Apple TV Football Comedy)

b82REZ

Didn't realize there was this many people that hated it so much. It's not my favorite show but, it's a fairly easy watch. Some of the plot lines are bit weird but, it's not exactly causing me to lash out in anger at it.
New to the Caf?

It's how it works round here; state you don't like something, spam the thread of the thing you don't like repeating the fact you don't like the thing, shout down anyone who says they like the thing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
New to the Caf?

It's how it works round here; state you don't like something, spam the thread of the thing you don't like repeating the fact you don't like the thing, shout down anyone who says they like the thing.
Has this actually happened in here? Can't see it at a glance.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
New to the Caf?

This is the way

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
In the first few pages everyone was raving about it and loving it, which is no surprise, cause season one was a lot of fun. There's been a massive decline in quality and shift away from the fun, comedy aspect of it in season two and three so naturally people are going to enjoy it less. I don't see anyone proclaiming that people who still like it are wrong to do so.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Is it still very mediocre and cheesy? I haven't seen anything from season 3 yet.

I'm in a rare position of power now. My wife has totally forgotten about this show and she definitely likes it more than me. We got a pretty exciting backlog now, so I'm temped to "forget" about Ted Lasso.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Like it. Easy watch, obviously very cheesy but that’s how it’s supposed to be.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Didn't realize there was this many people that hated it so much. It's not my favorite show but, it's a fairly easy watch. Some of the plot lines are bit weird but, it's not exactly causing me to lash out in anger at it.
My favourite is when people complain about the lack of tactics and the unrealism about coaching badges etc. like they think it’s meant to be a documentary or something.

But complaining for the sake of complaining is just typical United fans.

That'sHernandez

In the first few pages everyone was raving about it and loving it, which is no surprise, cause season one was a lot of fun. There's been a massive decline in quality and shift away from the fun, comedy aspect of it in season two and three so naturally people are going to enjoy it less. I don't see anyone proclaiming that people who still like it are wrong to do so.
There's that kind of undertone to the posts though. I don't see why people would continue to comment on a show they don't like otherwise.

That'sHernandez

My favourite is when people complain about the lack of tactics and the unrealism about coaching badges etc. like they think it’s meant to be a documentary or something.

But complaining for the sake of complaining is just typical United fans.
The unrealism about coaching badges seems to be the one thing people have ignored when complaining about the realism of the show, which makes the complaints all the more unfounded really.

Strootman's Finger

There's that kind of undertone to the posts though. I don't see why people would continue to comment on a show they don't like otherwise.
Because it used to be a good show that people liked, and then it became another vehicle to push social justice and it ruined the show. But people are rightfully pining for the original show, not what it has become, so I think they have a right to complain. If it was the exact same show and someone's own personal tastes change, then fine, walkaway.

That'sHernandez

Because it used to be a good show that people liked, and then it became another vehicle to push social justice and it ruined the show. But people are rightfully pining for the original show, not what it has become, so I think they have a right to complain. If it was the exact same show and someone's own personal tastes change, then fine, walkaway.
It’s the final season and not like they’re going to rewrite and shoot the rest of what’s left to those people’s tastes though; if you don’t like it, give it up as a bad job and stop wasting your time with it.

And stop insinuating people who do like it and continue to watch it shouldn’t.

Strootman's Finger

It’s the final season and not like they’re going to rewrite and shoot the rest of what’s left to those people’s tastes though; if you don’t like it, give it up as a bad job and stop wasting your time with it.

And stop insinuating people who do like it and continue to watch it shouldn’t.
I literally didn't say anything about people who watch it.

decorativeed

Yeah, bloody doogooders. All out to get you and ruin all the things you love what with their not being purposely horrible to people and shit. :rolleyes:

What's actually ruined a promising start is clearly the fact that they don't really seem to know what the story is about or how to get the right blend with the characters and various strands of storylines. Some bits were just abandoned half way through, the comedy aspect of it seems to have been forgotten about almost entirely and things like the whole Hey Jude busker/cockney knees-up singalong scene in the last episode are toe-curlingly awful and make for excruciating viewing.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
first season was enjoyable, characters had some charm and it didn’t take itself too seriously. you could forgive the horrible green screen football action. seasons 2 and 3 the characters aren’t really any more developed and all the storylines are just recycled twoddle. i don’t care about any of them, at least lasso had some charm as the plucky underdog in season one.

it’s the problems with yanks and tv shows. they’re like teenagers who have just discovered their dinkle, they don’t know when to just leave something alone. it would have worked as a two season, 1 season relegation, second season promotion redemption arc. nothing ground breaking, simple, watchable, 7 out of 10.

Wing Attack Plan R

first season was enjoyable, characters had some charm and it didn’t take itself too seriously. you could forgive the horrible green screen football action. seasons 2 and 3 the characters aren’t really any more developed and all the storylines are just recycled twoddle. i don’t care about any of them, at least lasso had some charm as the plucky underdog in season one.

it’s the problems with yanks and tv shows. they’re like teenagers who have just discovered their dinkle, they don’t know when to just leave something alone. it would have worked as a two season, 1 season relegation, second season promotion redemption arc. nothing ground breaking, simple, watchable, 7 out of 10.

Now you've gone too far. We discover our dinkles way before the teen years.

Amir

Not too long ago, through a burst of nostalgia, I watched some episodes (why I am lying? I watched all of them) of old shoes like 21 Jump Street and Doogie Howser. And I was surprised to see how much those shows took upon them to also educate the viewers (many of them young, I'm sure) on different subjects - drugs, alcohol, relationships, racial and social injustice, etc. It was a little too much "in your face", but it was still entertaining.

Now, TV has moved on a lot. There's nothing wrong with shows also educating people, but with Ted Lasso at the moment it feels like I'm watching those 80s shows. And it's even MORE "in your face" then the old shows used to be. No subtelty at all.

There's still entertainment in the show, but it's not very good. Doing a show and also using it as a vehicle is one thing. But now it seems like the vehicle took over the show.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Like it. Easy watch, obviously very cheesy but that’s how it’s supposed to be.
Yeah easy watch is probably a good description. Don’t go out of my way to watch it but rather watch it when I need to occupy some time/switch off. By far the most annoying thing of the last episode was the notion that West Ham are top of the table :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think it is great. Nothing stunning or ground breaking, and a bit cheesy, but also better than many/most things on TV at the moment. I enjoy it for what it is rather than bagging it for what it isn't.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Huh? Why would a theme of people being nice to each other for a change ruin anything? IMO it is one of the best things about the show.

Then again looking at your posting history that you don't like it doesn't surprise me one bit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The show feels like a hug. I think it’s great. It’s a workplace light-hearted comedy drama that rarely misses a beat.

It’s really joke heavy and really very clever lots of the time. Yes it’s sickly sweet but always knowingly so.

Football frames it. That’s it. It’s not a football show really.

Reactions: Wibble

That'sHernandez

I really enjoyed Rebecca’s speech when she went to the Super League meeting, thought it was a nice touch

TheGame

I think it is great. Nothing stunning or ground breaking, and a bit cheesy, but also better than many/most things on TV at the moment. I enjoy it for what it is rather than bagging it for what it isn't.
Exactly this, I’m still enjoying it and yeah it’s cheesy as hell but still good. Loved the Leslie and DJ Khaled link :lol:.

I could probably see them doing one more season of it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Exactly this, I’m still enjoying it and yeah it’s cheesy as hell but still good. Loved the Leslie and DJ Khaled link :lol:.
Those kind of joke tags are littered through it with no set up or attention pushed towards it. The jokes per minute is so high compared to other stuff that passes as comedy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Quite like Nate's redemption arc. Nothing too crazy or wild about it.
I think they’re bringing the band back together for a final season. Ted back home at the end. A settled, confident, secure and not self-hating Nate taking the job. Roy with Keeley, with her at the club. Rebecca leading a club through pride rather than a hate for Rupert.

It’s a lovely and gentle show. Really look forward to it every week.

That'sHernandez

I think they’re bringing the band back together for a final season. Ted back home at the end. A settled, confident, secure and not self-hating Nate taking the job. Roy with Keeley, with her at the club. Rebecca leading a club through pride rather than a hate for Rupert.

The creators have said there are only three seasons every time they’re asked so I’d be surprised.

I actually like the Nate redemption arc now too. It’s nice to see he’s realising a lot of his issues with Ted were projections from his own lack of self esteem.

goalscholes

The Nate and his girlfriend arc is decent. The show has seriously declined in quality (any show using live music to pad out an episode clearly has), but Ted and Keeley are generally good and keep the show warm enough to watch it through to the end.

DavelinaJolie

Nah, it's going to end this season, they're wrapping up things as quickly as possible now, hence the Nate arc getting a little rushed and why in the Super League episode Rebecca seems to have come to terms with her Rupert issue.

I agree, though, that it'll end with Ted going back to the US. The stuff about his dad and being away from his son is leading that way, clearly.

I still watch it but I have admit this season has been pretty mediocre, background TV. The longer episodes I don't have a problem with, but it does feel more like a platform now to deal with issues and less so about the comedy. I don't mind that either, plenty of shittiness about sports to call out. That said I like that you see the impact of Ted on the team and surrounding people, the kindness and support he has engendered in those around him, his presence creating a self-sufficient group that won't really need him when he leaves.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I agree with it just being a harmless background easy watch.

It's not really a comedy at all anymore though (apart from Chris Powell who is great)... It's a drama and I think the longer runtimes reflect that. If you compare it recent American comedies like Ghosts US, American Auto or Abbott Elementary it's like night and day.

LARulz

I liked the last episode. Hardly any Ted but each character story was done well enough to make me care to watch. Highlight was definitely Roy and Jamie at Uncle's Day

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I can’t take Roy Kent seriously. I don’t get why @Solius likes his character so much.
he should've been a one episode cameo in which case a Roy Keane type character would've been a bit of a laugh, like Zava, but being one of the main characters is just weird. The joke got old ages ago.