Television Ted Lasso (Apple TV Football Comedy)

LARulz

I can’t take Roy Kent seriously. I don’t get why @Solius likes his character so much.
he should've been a one episode cameo in which case a Roy Keane type character would've been a bit of a laugh, like Zava, but being one of the main characters is just weird. The joke got old ages ago.
He is a character when he is shown too much he can get a bit grating - I like him in moments where he walks into the managers office or on training sessions as they are usually quiet short bursts/nice lines. But the Uncles Day was fine I thought mainly because of Jamie who is a very likeable character now, the England shirt with Kent spelt with a U and his niece saying "he made her think it, so it's bad enough" I liked

Red Stone

There really isn't anyone quite as willing to consume entertainment they actively dislike as the average caftard.

alsabi

Suspension of disbelief required...

No way the Etihad ever looks so lively and full in real life or that Pep looks so relaxed after losing.

roseguy64

Absolutely terrible. Everything about it. Nothing at all believable. From the fact that it is based on a PL team full of players and coaches who seem to have little to no money, to the terrible writing and awful in -game shots. Ridiculous characters like Keeley. I think it is hard to rate as a genuine football fan, but if you know nothing about the game then perhaps it can work.
Why are you suggesting the players and coaches have no money?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's made for Americans, have to suspend your belief in most occasions

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why are you suggesting the players and coaches have no money?
Relative to the average PL player, they all live extremely modestly on Ted Lasso. Ted himself lives on top of a fecking shop for heavens sake. They have started to upgrade the car collection a bit, but in general, they make it look like a Championship/League One affair.

roseguy64

Relative to the average PL player, they all live extremely modestly on Ted Lasso. Ted himself lives on top of a fecking shop for heavens sake. They have started to upgrade the car collection a bit, but in general, they make it look like a Championship/League One affair.
I've seen some of the players driving fancy cars and not seen anyone mention money problems. It's never seemed to me like an issue. Especially with the players being shown as having multiple women in bed with them and stuff like that and Sam being able to afford opening a restaurant.

I'm equating Ted living above the shop as similar to Mourinho at Man Utd except Ted is a simple man so didn't go for a hotel room. He went for somewhere that fits his character and also him wanting to be close to the fans. Pretty sure Jamie's house in season one looked expensive.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Ted lives in a huge second floor apartment in one of Londons most expensive areas. That’s probably a £2.5m house…. There’s a 4 bed on sale now above a shop for that much. Another larger place for £7.5m. Again above a shop.

Red Stone

A running bit on the show is literally them doling out huge amounts of cash as gifts. They all drive flash cars, all of their clothes look brand new at all times, Sam opened a restaurant, Roy pays random people obscene amounts for small stuff to solve problems quickly. Colin isn't even a regular starter and drives Lambos and Nobles and lives in a massive house. Even fecking Keeley lives in a mansion.

The only person who doesn't have the cash you'd expect is Nate after being manager of West Ham for half a season. He should have earned millions by that point and all he has is a fancy car that was given to him by Rupert. Other than that they're all portrayed as being as wealthy as you could reasonably expect from a TV show, especially considering they play for a newly promoted underdog side. It's not like they're on the sort of wages that United or City pay.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
That was actually a decent episode. Pick of the bunch this season. Jamie Tartt's definitely the best character in the show.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wonder how much money Man City have paid them for all this PR? Also the scene with Pep was pure cringe.

Amir

It was a good finale. The season had faults which were also present in the final episode, but never mind.

I hope they all move on as I don't particularly see a need for a show about any of the characters, but I'm sure they'll try to milk it.

alsabi

Hope the Glazers aren't watching and getting any ideas...

Rebecca selling 49% stake in the club for big investment.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It was a great finale, cheesy as hell, but charming and feel good as ever. I'll miss it.

Gums

I thought the finale was poor. It seemed rushed to me. Trying to close as many open loops as possible. It made me wonder if Ted’s actor said he wouldn’t be doing a fourth season early on, but the producers were hoping until the end that he’d sign up for another one. So, they squeezed in as much closure as possible into the last episode.

Maybe it’s just because I’m disappointed about them hooking me with warm and heartfelt messages in the first 2.5 seasons, only to posterboy Pep and City in the end. Sam’s whole storyline of refusing to work with a sponsor because they put profit over environment seems quite hypocritical in hindsight.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm glad it's over.

The bloated, cringey, preachy, pointless shite of season three is a long way from the fun little half hour show that season one was.

LARulz

Have to say, I defended this show a lot and I still like it overall but that was a disappointing finale for me. The only saving grace was they didn't win the league

The Scrubs finale (don't count the spin off) I felt was fantastic and actually made me emotional, this just left me feeling a bit 'meh'. The bonus 7 minutes made me more sad than the actual finale

I really felt when they did the montage of Roy becoming manager, Beard getting married (no Ted...) etc. was all a dream as the next bit is Ted landing. It would have been a nice ending like Scrubs, yeah it probably happens but it's a dream and who knows

Also maybe a small point but for me scenes about Colin coming out to the team/press reaction to the kiss with the boyfriend, Nate and Ted's first interaction once he returns, Ted telling Rebecca he is off etc.. All these scenes I think we're important but just glossed over

I did not want complete vagueness nor did I want a tied up bow of an ending. I think I just wanted to feel gutted it's over when the last scene played but I didn't

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Have to say, I defended this show a lot and I still like it overall but that was a disappointing finale for me. The only saving grace was they didn't win the league

The Scrubs finale (don't count the spin off) I felt was fantastic and actually made me emotional, this just left me feeling a bit 'meh'. The bonus 7 minutes made me more sad than the actual finale

I really felt when they did the montage of Roy becoming manager, Beard getting married (no Ted...) etc. was all a dream as the next bit is Ted landing. It would have been a nice ending like Scrubs, yeah it probably happens but it's a dream and who knows

Also maybe a small point but for me scenes about Colin coming out to the team/press reaction to the kiss with the boyfriend, Nate and Ted's first interaction once he returns, Ted telling Rebecca he is off etc.. All these scenes I think we're important but just glossed over

I did not want complete vagueness nor did I want a tied up bow of an ending. I think I just wanted to feel gutted it's over when the last scene played but I didn't
I'm only half way through season 2 and it's become a very predictable slog. I think Bill suffers from everyone around him telling him all the time about how he's the master of emotional moments in comedy.

Shrinking is so much better, but it still has the same tropes and I expect it to go much the same way.

LARulz

I'm only half way through season 2 and it's become a very predictable slog. I think Bill suffers from everyone around him telling him all the time about how he's the master of emotional moments in comedy.

Shrinking is so much better, but it still has the same tropes and I expect it to go much the same way.
Yeah I like Shrinking but agree, it already feel it's predictable and using the same gimmicks

But I did just read Bill Lawrence was only really involved in season 1 and took a back seat approach in the next 2 seasons. They were mostly driven by Jason and Brett

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah I like Shrinking but agree, it already feel it's predictable and using the same gimmicks

But I did just read Bill Lawrence was only really involved in season 1 and took a back seat approach in the next 2 seasons. They were mostly driven by Jason and Brett
Possibly. I know he is doing so much that it's hard to see how quality won't drop, when he's on the FDRF podcast or when they talk about him, you can see why these shows are what they are.

I think the whole "comedy with heart" thing he does so well misses the comedy element all too often of late. Though I will say the actors used and music are always on point.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As someone who has generally not minded this season as a bit of background tele...

That finale was the biggest load of cheesy tosh I've ever seen.

stepic

Why were they all celebrating like they won the league, fans rushing the ground etc when City were still beating Liverpool? Oh yeah because it’s written for Americans who don’t have a clue probably anyway and they wanted to do a ‘twist’ - ohhh no they didn’t win! Well of course not. None of the fans would be celebrating like that if City were still winning

for me the worst part was the whole Nate arc - him being such a twat bully out of nowhere, he didn’t deserve any redemption. and even when you knew they were going to do it they then did it in such a ham fisted way. Why do we care about Nate and the polish girl, we still hate you mofo. Didn’t even get to see him quit West Ham etc. Keely was also pretty much perpetually cringe

and the team itself needed to have a few more personalities and not be this insanely stupidly nice hive mind

my god the show was overall just excruciatingly cringe and cheesy, even though there were one or two better episodes towards the end. Still ultimately a load of shite though

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
Why were they all celebrating like they won the league, fans rushing the ground etc when City were still beating Liverpool?

ah yeah because it’s written for Americans who don’t have a clue probably anyway and they wanted to do a ‘twist’ - ohhh no they didn’t win! Well of course not. None of the fans would be celebrating like that if City were still winning

for me the worst parts was the whole Nate arc - him being such a twat bully out of nowhere he didn’t deserve any redemption and they did it so ham fisted. Keely was also pretty much perpetually cringe

and the team itself needed to have a few more personalities and not be this insanely stupidly nice hive mind

my god the show is excruciatingly cringe and cheesy, even though there were one or two better episodes towards the end. Still ultimately a load of shite though
Premature celebrations is known to happen to fans in the Premier League as well. Just look at Arsenal fans this year.

Brophs

The One and Only
Does the captain still look like he ate his centre half partner?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Why were they all celebrating like they won the league, fans rushing the ground etc when City were still beating Liverpool? Oh yeah because it’s written for Americans who don’t have a clue probably anyway and they wanted to do a ‘twist’ - ohhh no they didn’t win! Well of course not. None of the fans would be celebrating like that if City were still winning

for me the worst part was the whole Nate arc - him being such a twat bully out of nowhere, he didn’t deserve any redemption. and even when you knew they were going to do it they then did it in such a ham fisted way. Why do we care about Nate and the polish girl, we still hate you mofo. Didn’t even get to see him quit West Ham etc. Keely was also pretty much perpetually cringe

my god the show was overall just excruciatingly cringe and cheesy, even though there were one or two better episodes towards the end. Still ultimately a load of shite though

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
My wife’s been bothering me to watch this season but after the last one I can’t be arsed. She loves it. Mind you, she’d watch anything on the goggle box, except non fiction (documentaries, nature shows, etc).

Devil You Know

"Nice" humour is a natural consequence of the way western society (or perhaps more accurately the Anglosphere) is going.

It won't be long before the only comedy left will be Ted Lasso and 5 minutes of standup from James Acaster.