Television Ted Lasso (Apple TV Football Comedy)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So is anyone actually watching this?

4 episodes in and I'm actually rather enjoying it. Have to say the advertising did it no favours... Made it feel like a total screwball comedy, but it's hardly that at all. It's a pretty straight comedy, with lots of fish out of water stuff sure, but also lots of heart and it's pretty feel good stuff. It's also way more British then I thought it would be.

Think the football stuff is handled pretty well, mainly though not showing games and not getting too bogged down in specifics... There's little stuff of course (like where are the other coaches!?) but yeah considering the show that it is, I think it's fine. The squad dynamics /make up is pretty good too, and the bloke who plays the captain looks like someone who actually would play for Palace, so there is that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I remember when it was a skit and that was all. Saw a trailer and looked a bit too slapstick for me (of course he gets hit in the face with the ball).

Art

Art the artist
I look forward to every Friday for this show. The kinda show that is needed in 2020.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Episode 5 probably had the most football in so far and it was actually pretty well done. Didn't look half as fake as a lot of staged football that you see.

I remember when it was a skit and that was all. Saw a trailer and looked a bit too slapstick for me (of course he gets hit in the face with the ball).
Whoever did the marketing for this show needs the sack. Seeing the show for what it actually is, the trailer is total garbage. Bar one or two moments that are few and far between it isn't slapstick at all... Its just a wholesome, feel good, dramedy.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Started watching it a couple of days ago, and enjoying it. I'd love it if they actually bring Roy Keane on one of their episodes

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I look forward to every Friday for this show. The kinda show that is needed in 2020.
I agree. It’s brilliant. Wholesome. Fun. Well written and well acted.

Negative story arc is set up, then set fire to by a truly admirable lead character.

I appreciate you Art.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This worth a watch then? I watched like the first ten minutes, fell asleep and haven’t got back to it.
I'd say so... Watch two episodes back to back and I reckon you'll be in...and if not then it's probably not the show for you as the style doesn't change much.

shabz

Watched all episode available yesterday. Loved it, the Mrs really enjoyed it too which was surprising as she hates Jason Sudeikis usually.

Art

Art the artist
I agree. It’s brilliant. Wholesome. Fun. Well written and well acted.

Negative story arc is set up, then set fire to by a truly admirable lead character.

I appreciate you Art.
The show has somehow managed to make everyone likeable even though their intentions might not be all good.

Even warmed up to feckin Jamie at the end there :lol:

anant

The show has somehow managed to make everyone likeable even though their intentions might not be all good.

Exactly. Was watching that episode yesterday, and I felt bad that he had been recalled

UnrelatedPsuedo

It’s brilliant. Comfortably the best thing on ‘Television’. Nowhere near one of the best things to ever be on television obviously. It’s a thoroughly modern show though. I hope there are many more that try to be like it.

It’s close to perfect. You forget that there is really no reason for all tension in a tv show to be negative, and subsequently released with a negative. Almost all shows now are anti. That anti is released by a comeuppance. Nothing to breed sympathy and compassion. It’s a gotcha or a ‘serves you right’

The writing on Lasso is flawless. Flawed people acting against their better interests, are shown another path, and their life improves if they take it.

But it’s NEVER that on the nose. They pack so much into 30 minute episodes. The amount of (what is foolishly termed) high-brow language games they play around with, with inside jokes inside of friendship circles.

Delighted it’s already got a season 2.

Last edited:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I thought this was gonna be good cos I liked the skits... But I'm not keen. The missus likes it more than I do.

It focuses too much on subplots for my liking, rather than Ted Lasso himself, which tells me the writers quickly realised they couldn't mine enough material from the premise/skit to stretch across a full series.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I thought this was gonna be good cos I liked the skits... But I'm not keen. The missus likes it more than I do.

It focuses too much on subplots for my liking, rather than Ted Lasso himself, which tells me the writers quickly realised they couldn't mine enough material from the premise/skit to stretch across a full series.
Every single character is a product of Teds influence on them.

That’s the whole point.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Every single character is a product of Teds influence on them.

That’s the whole point.
To be fair the show is a lot different to the skits... in those he was basically an idiot and the comedy came from that, but in the show he clearly isn't stupid, and in fact is quite a smart bloke, and the so the comedy is different and there's obviously a much bigger focus on the drama of it.

slyadams

I love this show, there's no much about it that just makes me happy:
  1. Ted's never ending 'goodness'. I've mentally noted down a few of his sayings as I want to use them one day!
  2. The relationship between Rebecca and Keeley is brilliant. The little interactions where it looks like Hannah Waddingham is genuinely laughing are brilliant (e.g. the unicorn work planner scene)
  3. Its the type of comedy that has a huge heart, almost every episode has it, but episode 5 in general was superb.
  4. Very tight writing, almost no flab in the entire show.
  5. After setting Roy up in the first episode to just be a hatchet man, to very quickly developing into one of my favourite characters who I think serves as being an audience member inside the show, he reacts mostly as we would in those situations.
  6. "Are you telling me we have 400 ghosts", "That's too many ghosts", "We can't fight them all"

Hoof the ball

Independent journo in the show says, "you just want to root for Ted Lasso", and that's about as best a description as I can think of. Ted's character is likeable to an infinite degree.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I really like this. Four episodes in.

Really reminds me of something like Parks and Rec where it's just a feel good show and the main character (Leslie/Ted) just inspires everyone around them to be better, and it helps that the characters are generally really likable, too. Also, it's really funny at times.

JB7

Have all episodes been released yet? Been waiting until it's finished so I can blast through all the episodes in a couple of days.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I really like this. Four episodes in.

Really reminds me of something like Parks and Rec where it's just a feel good show and the main character (Leslie/Ted) just inspires everyone around them to be better, and it helps that the characters are generally really likable, too. Also, it's really funny at times.
Hmm, fine I'll bite.

anant

Just saw episode 7, and I think this show is fast becoming one of the better comedies from the recent past. Not just Nate's speech, which for some reason reminded me of the roast speech by Michael Scott, but also how they've shown Ted - a delusionally optimistic guy- going through a tough phase in life. Loved Sudeikis' acting in this episode.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just saw episode 7, and I think this show is fast becoming one of the better comedies from the recent past. Not just Nate's speech, which for some reason reminded me of the roast speech by Michael Scott, but also how they've shown Ted - a delusionally optimistic guy- going through a tough phase in life. Loved Sudeikis' acting in this episode.
Yeah it was good to see that vulnerability. Wonder if that’s something we’ll see more of.

I also think each of the main characters brings something really good to the show. They’re all great in their own way

Adamsk7

I think it’s brilliant. I started off thinking it’d just be very a light, 30 minute time killer with not much expectation of it actually being good. The first couple of episodes solidified that in my mind and it was quite cliche’d but as it’s gone on I’ve become more invested in the characters and I’m finding it both humorous and heart warming.

Massive Spanner

I actually think this might be the best show on TV. It's just so much more than you'd think it would be.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
every man should try to be more like Ted Lasso.

This shows brilliance is so unexpected and profound. I’m left wishing every episode was an hour long as many of the storylines could be explored far deeper. At times I think it’s cliched but then some brutal and unhappy realism makes you think.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I had such low expectations for this, but it’s fecking brilliant. I love it. Funny yet moving at times. Ted has to be one of the most likeable characters I’ve ever seen.

reelworld

The Ringer review was:
Ted Lasso isn't supposed to be good. But it is!

I gave it a shot last night, and pleasantly surprised. Such a funny and heartwarming show. I'm into eps 3 now, and I hope they explore coach Beard a little bit more

Art

Art the artist
Coach Beard is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. This show doesn't miss.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's the show we need right now. Ted Lasso for President!!!

reelworld

Finished all 7 eps now. Can't wait for the last 3.
Incredible writing and performance from everyone, but most notably from Suedikis. The nuance and switch from optimism and utter despair is one of the best acting I've seen. It's all very natural and never seems forced. I hope he got some sort of recognition for this.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Finished all 7 eps now. Can't wait for the last 3.
Incredible writing and performance from everyone, but most notably from Suedikis. The nuance and switch from optimism and utter despair is one of the best acting I've seen. It's all very natural and never seems forced. I hope he got some sort of recognition for this.
I think they've done a great job of making Lasso feel as if he could actually be a real person. Think with someone that's so happy/up-beat all the time you could run the risk of making him very cartoony, but they add enough layers to him - especially in the scenes where he's alone - to make him feel genuine, and as you say Sudekis acting is a big help too.

Massive Spanner

I think they've done a great job of making Lasso feel as if he could actually be a real person. Think with someone that's so happy/up-beat all the time you could run the risk of making him very cartoony, but they add enough layers to him - especially in the scenes where he's alone - to make him feel genuine, and as you say Sudekis acting is a big help too.
it's weird because I usually hate Sudekis yet Ted is probably my favourite and most likable TV character since Leslie Knope. He really has played the part perfectly.

It's just so fecking good, even the missus absolutely loves it and she hates footie and took a lot of convincing to watch it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's watchable. I don't find myself laughing though, not sure I've laughed out loud once except maybe at Nate's speech. But it's not bad.

reelworld

True. He's not naive or ignorant of the vitriol aimed at him. But he made a conscious effort to be nice to everyone in his orbit. And it was a nice twist that the only person who's not influenced positively is his wife.
And this is not just Lasso, but Rebecca, Kent, Keeley, Tartt also have layers that made them 3 dimensional. I'm very interested how they will take Rebecca's initial plan going forward