Television Ted Lasso (Apple TV Football Comedy)

b82REZ

If done right, those kinds of side characters could be done well but they’re so bad. Even the woman who runs the pub is phenomenally unfunny. Also that old woman on the bus calling Beard a scrounger was just so weird. That bit was clearly set up to be a funny joke but it’s just crap. You can tell it’s written by Americans who think this is what British people will find funny because some of the characters say wanker and other hilarious UKisms.
I definitely agree, it's an American show trying to capture British humour. That is where it's at its weakest.

The show is called Ted Lasso for a reason, and most of the cast are forgettable. Nate really gets on my tits, for example. But as a sum of its parts it works well.

That last episode though. It was like it was written by someone who had never seen the show and were told to capture the essence of a night out in London and they missed, massively.

I get the feeling they didn't really know where to go with this season. Seeing as it's so British in many ways, it won't work if Ted and the team don't get promoted. I thought they were going to go for the cup upset as the reason for him to get another season, but now I don't know.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I see this said a lot about Parks and Rec. But they aren't nice people. April, Ron, Donna, Tommy, etc are all selfish, horrible people. They bully Jerry mercilessly and consistently. And in the end they ride in the back of Leslies successes. At first. I didn't notice it but anytime I catch an episode on TV now its all I see.
Parks and Rec isn’t about nice people. It’s about people as a collective, warts and all. How they come together as a group. It’s full of love but I don’t think it’s described as ‘nice’.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I definitely agree, it's an American show trying to capture British humour. That is where it's at its weakest.

The show is called Ted Lasso for a reason, and most of the cast are forgettable. Nate really gets on my tits, for example. But as a sum of its parts it works well.

That last episode though. It was like it was written by someone who had never seen the show and were told to capture the essence of a night out in London and they missed, massively.

I get the feeling they didn't really know where to go with this season. Seeing as it's so British in many ways, it won't work if Ted and the team don't get promoted. I thought they were going to go for the cup upset as the reason for him to get another season, but now I don't know.
It’s an American funded show written by American and English writers and it’s not really trying to capture ‘British Humour’. It brings in British Culture but the jokes are universal.

It was only pitched as 30 episodes at the outset so I don’t think it’s designed to have years ahead of it.

b82REZ

it’s not really trying to capture ‘British Humour’. It brings in British Culture but the jokes are universal.
Yes it is.

The constant use of "British" swear words is the biggest indicator of this. For some reason Americans all seem to think we go around calling each other wanker or tosser.

mu4c_20le

Yes it is.

The constant use of "British" swear words is the biggest indicator of this. For some reason Americans all seem to think we go around calling each other wanker or tosser.
I think American mainstream audiences find it funny. It's usually how the "british character" acts in an american show. The truth is that most Americans either don't get or enjoy British humour.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yes it is.

Was at the match today and heard wanker being shouted easily thousands of times so yes, you actually do go around constantly saying wanker at footballer matches. For some reason Brits all seem to think they are far superior to Americans and try to label everything as "stupid Americans" despite there literally being English people involved in writing the show.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was at the match today and heard wanker being shouted easily thousands of times so yes, you actually do go around constantly saying wanker at footballer matches. For some reason Brits all seem to think they are far superior to Americans and try to label everything as "stupid Americans" despite there literally being English people involved in writing the show.
That’s not it at all. Loads of us on here love American comedies. Some of my favourites are written by Americans but this show is clearly trying to represent the U.K. in a way that is not at all accurate and the embellished parts are indicative of someone who doesn’t know football culture in this country that well.

b82REZ

Where did I say that? Defensive much?

b82REZ

We don't?
We use the words, but not at the regularity the show likes to insinuate. I honestly can't remember the last time I called someone a wanker or heard anyone say it for that matter.

Very occasionally you get the Referee's a wanker chants at matches.

This isn't exclusive to Ted Lasso either. Anytime a British character is in an American show they almost always call people wankers.

JoaquinJoaquin

It has just won multiple Emmy's so it will surely be back for Season 3. Now where does the plot go :D.

b82REZ

It has just won multiple Emmy's so it will surely be back for Season 3. Now where does the plot go :D.
I hope it does.

I do enjoy the show, it's a real feel good, tea time show. It's just been a bit all over the place this season. They've clearly struggled with the extra couple of episodes.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
They went a bit meta with A Clockwork Orange & After Hours references and I don't think that they should've. They've found their niche and they were doing very well in it, but they don't have the elegance or wit of Community to pull that one off naturally, especially without any prior notice.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's no surprise the Yanks love it. They're obsessed with British culture, so a show about a nice American going over to help stereotypically flawed Brits with OTT British humour is probably TV heaven for them.

JoaquinJoaquin

So season 3 is confirmed with 12 episodes, which the Caf will be very happy about.

macheda14

We use the words, but not at the regularity the show likes to insinuate. I honestly can't remember the last time I called someone a wanker or heard anyone say it for that matter.

This isn't exclusive to Ted Lasso either. Anytime a British character is in an American show they almost always call people wankers.
I think it's because they can't go about writing c*nt every other word. So wanker just has to do.

mu4c_20le

Although I did read that they wanted it to finish with season 3 no?
At this time. Who knows, it might get a fourth and push for the CL.

I'm amazed it got so many nominations. I liked season 1 but season 2 is garbage and the show has been absolute garbage this year
:lol: it's rated even higher than the first season. I liked the first one better as well but it's hardly been garbage.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
At this time. Who knows, it might get a fourth and push for the CL.

:lol: it's rated even higher than the first season. I liked the first one better as well but it's hardly been garbage.
I think it has been. there's no conflict and there doesn't seem to be much point to anything. everyone's turned into a full blown watery caricature of their real life counterparts, particularly the Roy Keane guy.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It’s like Netflix’s Space Force. You know it’s bad but I keep watching it.

decorativeed

Maybe I use the word excessively then! But I know what you mean. The other one they like to put into scenarios like this is 'twat', but pronounced 'twott'.

decorativeed

It’s like Netflix’s Space Force. You know it’s bad but I keep watching it.
I like both shows. But while watching them I know that they aren't particularly good. They're just an easy watch with the occasional good moment.

reelworld

I love season 2 tbh.
IMO, the progression in season 2 make sense because you can't repeat what works in season 1. The father son theme throughout season 2 is fascinating to me and the best part of it.
The writers already said they wanted to make a three season arc. I'll be curious to see what season 3 will be like

Godfather

Is it me or did it get a bit boring during season 2 and also not very funny anymore? Can't even really get myself to watch it through.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is it me or did it get a bit boring during season 2 and also not very funny anymore? Can't even really get myself to watch it through.
The 2 filler episodes have broken the flow a bit but otherwise I've really enjoyed it.

reelworld

The 2 filler episodes have broken the flow a bit but otherwise I've really enjoyed it.
Read somewhere that the writers already lineup the story for 10 episodes when Apple told them it's gonna be a 12 episode season. So they added the Christmas and Beard ones. I guess it makes sense that those eps stood out as out of sync

decorativeed

That latest episode was pure cringe. And not in the good Curb Your Enthusiasm/The Office way.

I find it odd that it's considered a comedy, when so much of it plays like an episode of Hollyoaks.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not enjoying this season as much as last season.

Amir

I actually thought this weeks episode was really good. And I was ready to hate it before watching it as I saw it was another 45 minute episode (It's become a norm lately and I'm not a fan of it...).

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The official Twitter account is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen

Stop it