Teden Mengi image 43

Teden Mengi England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

He looks like a youth Upamecano, really exciting prospect. Should take Tuanzabe's place in the squad.
I'd rather he took the place of Jones, Smalling or Rojo.

Axel should still be given the chance to prove himself and his fitness.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You know why I think Mengi is going to have a good future with us?

The first thing he did when he got subbed on away to Aston Villa at 60 minutes was out muscle the striker and dump him to the floor :lol:

Straight away Watkins knew it wouldn't be an easy match - you've got to love that confidence.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
We are always gushing about young, highly rated defenders playing elsewhere and get disappointed when club fails to make move for them early. Now we have one from our academy who has potential. Needs to be given chances now. Would be awesome to have a starting CB come through academy. Haven't had one who has been regular since Evans. Also, as a sidenote, hopefully Tuanzebe remains fit and plays regularly this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You know why I think Mengi is going to have a good future with us?

The first thing he did when he got subbed on away to Aston Villa at 60 minutes was out muscle the striker and dump him to the floor :lol:

Straight away Watkins knew it wouldn't be an easy match - you've got to love that confidence.
Yeah, he looks so strong already. Hopefully he will get chances in cup games at least.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, he looks so strong already. Hopefully he will get chances in cup games at least.
He's a strong as an ox. He was practically running over the youth defenders last season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's a strong as an ox. He was practically running over the youth defenders last season.
Yeah, strong, quick and also good on the ball. Very exciting prospect. I hope this will be his breakthrough season, should give lot of confidence for young players in the academy.

Chairman Steve

I wish him all the best and hope to see him and Tuanzebe get chances, since I cant see a new CB being brought in. Hopefully Mengi is the reason for that and hopefully our streak of producing good products from the academy continues with him.

He was born on the day we got knocked out on away goals to Leverkusen in the Champions League semi finals. That makes you feel old for sure. :nervous:

khoazany

I still think we need to sign Upamecano next season since he has potential to be better than everyone we have including Maguire but yeah, really pleased with Mengi's promotion.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Promoted to the senior team.
Bravo!

Hope he does better than Tuanzebe has, who was also highly rated. Better yet, would be both of them doing well in the first team and living up to their potential.

Davie Moyes

How good is this guy? Do we think he can get regular minutes this season or would he be better going on loan? I love how he broke forward with the ball at times in the above video and hope he can replicate that sometimes in senior matches.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How good is this guy? Do we think he can get regular minutes this season or would he be better going on loan? I love how he broke forward with the ball at times in the above video and hope he can replicate that sometimes in senior matches.
Based on his cameo against Villa, I feel like he should be getting some minutes in cup games, not going to lie look different in his maturity level compared to Tuanzebe & Mensah when they were around his age. But we have numerous amount of first team centre back and I expect them (Smalling, Rojo Bailly & Tuanzebe) to be selected before Mengi, so I guess it depends whether the others will keep staying injury free or no.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Assuming Smalling stays, (as well as Rojo/Jones/Tuanzebe) — wouldn’t it make sense to loan him out this season? I’d hate to be in a similar position where Tuanzebe played about 500 minutes in 2 years when he was in the “first team” before going on loan to Villa back around 2016-ish when he was Mengi’s age.

Being promoted to the senior team is a positive, absolutely no doubt, but consistent football is what players need to learn the game. Especially in a position like CB where it’s so difficult to come on for little periods of matches in the way an attacker can.

romufc

Assuming Smalling stays, (as well as Rojo/Jones/Tuanzebe) — wouldn’t it make sense to loan him out this season? I’d hate to be in a similar position where Tuanzebe played about 500 minutes in 2 years when he was in the “first team” before going on loan to Villa back around 2016-ish when he was Mengi’s age.

Being promoted to the senior team is a positive, absolutely no doubt, but consistent football is what players need to learn the game. Especially in a position like CB where it’s so difficult to come on for little periods of matches in the way an attacker can.
Just becuase we have Jones Rojo Smalling doesnt mean they will be ahead of him.

Mengi is above Jones and Rojo in the pecking order which is why we want to sell them 2.

The Red Thinker

Okay from whatever matches I’ve seen of Teden Mengi on MUTV, especially his exploits in the FA Cup last year, he seems to have the height, size and strength. He has the passing ability. One thing concerns me deeply about him, he isn’t quick enough. He medium fast compared to the likes of Bailly.

I know what you’re thinking, who needs elite speed when you have elite positioning. True. But I’m not sold on his athleticism.

He is very sharp in interceptions and can hold his own in tight situations but considering how we’re trying to pair him with Maguire, I’m not sure he has the speed and athleticism to be successful. While Bailly lacks the cool head Teden has this at least.

Someone who has watched him more... tell me I’m wrong. Tbh I thought Tuanzebe is a better fit but he’s ever crocked the poor lad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

He'll be ahead of Jones and Rojo, their careers at United are done, even if they aren't off our books yet.

DWelbz19

Just becuase we have Jones Rojo Smalling doesnt mean they will be ahead of him.

Mengi is above Jones and Rojo in the pecking order which is why we want to sell them 2.
He'll be ahead of Jones and Rojo, their careers at United are done, even if they aren't off our books yet.
Fine. That leaves Smalling and Tuanzebe ahead of him. How many games is our fifth choice CB going to get this season? How many will Smalling or Tuanzebe (assuming he can stay fit anyway) even get?

Maguire is an absolute juggernaut who played every single game last season. I don’t think Lindelof has even been officially “injured” for anything more than a nominal period of time since joining.

It’s all well and good Mengi getting the odd Carabao game here and there - and if he does well I’ll be as excited as anyone - but I just think a loan would be more beneficial. There is a chance he does well and stars align and he gets a proper shot sometime in the near future. But there’s just as much chance we fast forward and he’s 21 with about 20 appearances to his name and vital development lost due to no consistent playing time.

romufc

Fine. That leaves Smalling and Tuanzebe ahead of him. How many games is our fifth choice CB going to get this season? How many will Smalling or Tuanzebe (assuming he can stay fit anyway) even get?

Maguire is an absolute juggernaut who played every single game last season. I don’t think Lindelof has even been officially “injured” for anything more than a nominal period of time since joining.

It’s all well and good Mengi getting the odd Carabao game here and there - and if he does well I’ll be as excited as anyone - but I just think a loan would be more beneficial. There is a chance he does well and stars align and he gets a proper shot sometime in the near future. But there’s just as much chance we fast forward and he’s 21 with about 20 appearances to his name and vital development lost due to no consistent playing time.
This is how United like to get players ready for the first team. Lindelof and Maguire but you have to remember we are playing CL too so Baily will come in, his injury record will mean Smalling may be ahead of him.

The reason he is 5th choice is that he can cover and also play int he under 23's for most of the season, he has alot to learn still.

A loan in league 1 or 2 wont be that beneficial to him. United like to coach their academy players in house because this way they are able to teach other aspects not just footballing. The United culture, we have seen it with Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, WIlliams all go straight into the first team without a loan.

DWelbz19

This is how United like to get players ready for the first team. Lindelof and Maguire but you have to remember we are playing CL too so Baily will come in, his injury record will mean Smalling may be ahead of him.

The reason he is 5th choice is that he can cover and also play int he under 23's for most of the season, he has alot to learn still.

A loan in league 1 or 2 wont be that beneficial to him. United like to coach their academy players in house because this way they are able to teach other aspects not just footballing. The United culture, we have seen it with Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, WIlliams all go straight into the first team without a loan.
Honestly forgot Bailly existed. :lol:

But this is my point — the CB position is so much different to the others! Who was the last successful CB we brought through? I see the position, and Mengi’s potential route to the first team, as a lot more comparable to what Dean Henderson had to do.

I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong. We’ll see how things pan out in a few years from now.

Stretender

I think you are in for a massive shock mate. Mengi I have watched him a lot is better than all the defenders you have mentioned except Maguire only on the basis of experience.

A good player will walk straight into our first eleven its not difficult. Mark my words he will displace Lindelof this season. He is quick, technically excellent, knows how to defend and score goals including headers, very strong, wins physical battles and has positional awareness. Those are the qualities of a top class defender.

Granted he is young, but age means nothing if you are that good. 18 year old Greenwood displaced a 27 year old Lingard with no fuss. Mengi falls in that bracket.

I have to be honest with you I watched alot of Tuanzebe when he was at Villa almost every weekend, and he is may be 2 years behind in his development. You see alot of good qualities in him but he needs to knit it together. Mengi is so far ahead of him

romufc

Honestly forgot Bailly existed. :lol:

But this is my point — the CB position is so much different to the others! Who was the last successful CB we brought through? I see the position, and Mengi’s potential route to the first team, as a lot more comparable to what Dean Henderson had to do.

I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong. We’ll see how things pan out in a few years from now.
This is just how United operate tbf. Personally, I would like to see him in the championship nothing lower so he can be tested.

We have seen if you are talented, you can go into the team like Evans, Pique etc but even the likes of Eric Garcia, De Ligt etc..

DWelbz19

This is just how United operate tbf. Personally, I would like to see him in the championship nothing lower so he can be tested.

We have seen if you are talented, you can go into the team like Evans, Pique etc but even the likes of Eric Garcia, De Ligt etc..
Jonny Evans, who went on 3 loans in a row to get some game time under his belt before becoming a regular? :smirk:

@Stretender — if he’s Mason Greenwood level sooner rather than later *that* good, I have no issue with him staying and everything I’ve said is a little pointless. No idea if he is, will take your word for it.

romufc

Jonny Evans, who went on 3 loans in a row to get some game time under his belt before becoming a regular? :smirk:

@Stretender — if he’s Mason Greenwood level sooner rather than later *that* good, I have no issue with him staying and everything I’ve said is a little pointless. No idea if he is, will take your word for it.
Fine, Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackket :lol: :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean if he can stay fit, then he's by default our 4th choice CB seeing as Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo are always injured so that puts Smalling as 3rd choice. Here's hoping, but we've seen loads of excellent CB prospects fail here over the years. Haven't really had the luck in developing them like our attackers, so we'll see where he falls.

Stretender

He is mate. Trust me. Watch Ole in his press conference tomorrow, he will have his cheeky smile on.

He compared him to De Lit this week, that is high praise for such a young player.

My preference is for United to sign another Centre back so that the young lad can play alongside a quality defender to aid his development.

Believe me, Bailly will be crocked within a month, Rojo , Jones we don't even need to say anything.

Thank God for Mengi

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think you are in for a massive shock mate. Mengi I have watched him a lot is better than all the defenders you have mentioned except Maguire only on the basis of experience.

A good player will walk straight into our first eleven its not difficult. Mark my words he will displace Lindelof this season. He is quick, technically excellent, knows how to defend and score goals including headers, very strong, wins physical battles and has positional awareness. Those are the qualities of a top class defender.

Granted he is young, but age means nothing if you are that good. 18 year old Greenwood displaced a 27 year old Lingard with no fuss. Mengi falls in that bracket.

I have to be honest with you I watched alot of Tuanzebe when he was at Villa almost every weekend, and he is may be 2 years behind in his development. You see alot of good qualities in him but he needs to knit it together. Mengi is so far ahead of him
Nah. Sorry, I rate him but I would bet a grand that he doesn't make more than 15 appearances this year, even off the bench. He's not better than Lindelof, Smalling or Bailly even if he looks to have the natural ability. He's 18 for god's sake.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Don’t take his word, he isn’t Greenwood level.

And fecking hell, Axel is 2 years in development behind him :lol: talk about chatting absolute shite.

Stretender

Nah. Sorry, I rate him but I would bet a grand that he doesn't make more than 15 appearances this year, even off the bench. He's not better than Lindelof, Smalling or Bailly even if he looks to have the natural ability. He's 18 for god's sake.
Unfortunately I don't do bets but I have pinned your post. I will be happy to bring this one up during the season. I respect your opinion but only United fans rate Lindelof. Bailly is a good defender but he will always be injured because of his style of play. He cant be relied on .Smalling will be sold its obvious.

As for your comment about him being 18. Is this a joke? Trent Arnold had 17 premier league games at that age. Greenwood was playing in Europa league semifinals at 18.

Its all about ability, character and temperament and Mengi has loads.

Don’t take his word, he isn’t Greenwood level.

And fecking hell, Axel is 2 years in development behind him :lol: talk about chatting absolute shite.
I have pinned your post and will see you at the end of season.

I don't rate Tuanzebe, being physically built and quick is not everything. Ask any Villa fan about him. I watched him alot at Villa and I can tell you I saw nothing in his game to suggest he will end up a top defender.

When you see players once or twice you can tell if they will be great or not. I saw Greenwood once in 2017 and I knew it straight away he was better than Rashford. Same with Mengi. One game I saw him last year I just knew he is not even comparable to the defenders we have bar Maguire.

Like I said I have pinned your post for end of season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Okay from whatever matches I’ve seen of Teden Mengi on MUTV, especially his exploits in the FA Cup last year, he seems to have the height, size and strength. He has the passing ability. One thing concerns me deeply about him, he isn’t quick enough. He medium fast compared to the likes of Bailly.

I know what you’re thinking, who needs elite speed when you have elite positioning. True. But I’m not sold on his athleticism.

He is very sharp in interceptions and can hold his own in tight situations but considering how we’re trying to pair him with Maguire, I’m not sure he has the speed and athleticism to be successful. While Bailly lacks the cool head Teden has this at least.

Someone who has watched him more... tell me I’m wrong. Tbh I thought Tuanzebe is a better fit but he’s ever crocked the poor lad.
He's quicker than the icequeen so that's all that matters really.

bsCallout

Only ever liked what I've seen of him. Trying to keep a level head with how good he is though...

He seems to have the ability to step into the senior team for cup games this season. I think we should play 2nd string in both English cups anyway.

He really then might be our no.1 CB the following year. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Sultan

Cathy Ferguson

Unfortunately I don't do bets but I have pinned your post. I will be happy to bring this one up during the season. I respect your opinion but only United fans rate Lindelof. Bailly is a good defender but he will always be injured because of his style of play. He cant be relied on .Smalling will be sold its obvious.

As for your comment about him being 18. Is this a joke? Trent Arnold had 17 premier league games at that age. Greenwood was playing in Europa league semifinals at 18.

Its all about ability, character and temperament and Mengi has loads.

I have pinned your post and will see you at the end of season.

I don't rate Tuanzebe, being physically built and quick is not everything. Ask any Villa fan about him. I watched him alot at Villa and I can tell you I saw nothing in his game to suggest he will end up a top defender.

When you see players once or twice you can tell if they will be great or not. I saw Greenwood once in 2017 and I knew it straight away he was better than Rashford. Same with Mengi. One game I saw him last year I just knew he is not even comparable to the defenders we have bar Maguire.

Like I said I have pinned your post for end of season
What are his strengths and weaknesses? Except for lacking experience. Is he a good partner to Maguire? We have not had a homegrown defender since Brown. I really hope that Mengi makes it.

Pericles

What are his strengths and weaknesses? Except for lacking experience. Is he a good partner to Maguire? We have not had a homegrown defender since Brown. I really hope that Mengi makes it.
Strengths: He is fairly quick, very strong, and reads the game well for his age.

Weaknesses: He is not the tallest CB around, although his jump and strength mean he is decent in the air.

Stretender

He has positional awareness, very crucial for any central defender. He is quick and mobile, good football brain, good passing range, comfortable playing from the back. He is very strong physically and he wins those 50/50s most of the time. You can't outmuscle him in a challenge .

Above all this its his temperament which stands out. Concentrates 100 per cent on the task at hand and is good at his basic job which is defending first.

The only weakness some might say he has is he is not tall enough, but Maguire is not tall. At 18 he will add a few centimetres because he is still growing. What is interesting though is that he wins a lot of aerial duels and scores headers. Something I haven't seen in United defenders in a while.

A very athletic player and to cap everything off he has leadership qualities so he can organise a defence. He has been captain in the under 16's.

Enjoy this journey it will be interesting and he is a local lad born in Manchester which makes him an instant hit with the fans straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.