Teden Mengi image 43

Teden Mengi England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy Ferguson

He has positional awareness, very crucial for any central defender. He is quick and mobile, good football brain, good passing range, comfortable playing from the back. He is very strong physically and he wins those 50/50s most of the time. You can't outmuscle him in a challenge .

Above all this its his temperament which stands out. Concentrates 100 per cent on the task at hand and is good at his basic job which is defending first.

The only weakness some might say he has is he is not tall enough, but Maguire is not tall. At 18 he will add a few centimetres because he is still growing. What is interesting though is that he wins a lot of aerial duels and scores headers. Something I haven't seen in United defenders in a while.

A very athletic player and to cap everything off he has leadership qualities so he can organise a defence. He has been captain in the under 16's.

Enjoy this journey it will be interesting and he is a local lad born in Manchester which makes him an instant hit with the fans straight away.
He seems quite similar to Upamecano then who is not the tallest. Better to invest in RW or LB than Upamecano.

RUCK4444

He seems quite similar to Upamecano then who is not the tallest. Better to invest in RW or LB than Upamecano.
From what I’ve seen very similar in style.

Makes me think that Ole is thinking he will let this kid make a step up this season and that’s why we haven’t gone strongly into the market for a CB.

He looks a very good prospect.

flappyjay

could almost field an entire outfield of first team CBs
We can definitely field a whole team of defenders if you include fullbacks.

Smalling

AWB lindelof Maguire Williams

Dalot Jones Axel Rojo Shaw

Bailly

Mengi and Fosu-Mensah on the bench.

We got 5 more defenders than required . We have 3 goalkeepers on a combined 550k a week.

Black Rick

We can definitely field a whole team of defenders if you include fullbacks.

Smalling

AWB lindelof Maguire Williams

Dalot Jones Axel Rojo Shaw

Bailly

Mengi and Fosu-Mensah on the bench.

We got 5 more defenders than required . We have 3 goalkeepers on a combined 550k a week.
What the hell is that. Lindelof easily has the greatest all round combination of technique and physicality so he needs to be the striker. Shaw and Dalot also need to swap flanks and be inverted wingers, unless you still think this is 1999? Jesus.

Falcow

What the hell is that. Lindelof easily has the greatest all round combination of technique and physicality so he needs to be the striker. Shaw and Dalot also need to swap flanks and be inverted wingers, unless you still think this is 1999? Jesus.
Jones in the hole/free role behind the strikers due to his corner taking abilities.

Robertd0803

Id love to see Ole do something unexpected and select him from the start on Saturday and for him to slot right in and be an instant success.

The Original

That would be Rojo

Chairman Steve

Id love to see Ole do something unexpected and select him from the start on Saturday and for him to slot right in and be an instant success.
Dunno if I am correct on this but didnt OGS do something to do this degree last year with Tuanzebe? Sadly he hit a bad run of injuries to really get going and pretty much spent most of the season injured.

So it might happen considering OGS has been happy to put Tuanzebe in there. The De Ligt comparison for Mengi is high praise too.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Dunno if I am correct on this but didnt OGS do something to do this degree last year with Tuanzebe? Sadly he hit a bad run of injuries to really get going and pretty much spent most of the season injured.

So it might happen considering OGS has been happy to put Tuanzebe in there. The De Ligt comparison for Mengi is high praise too.
I am hoping something like this does indeed happen. Very different situation with Tuanzebe though, who'd been on loan for two years prior.

Amarsdd

If I'm remembering it right, Tuanzebe was supposed to start against Liverpool (i think?) but got injured in the warmup.
edit: I think I read the comment wrong.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Did anyone see his videos in training? This kid is seriously good on the ball. Insanely athletic too. Not surprised he's been promoted. If he can stay fit for more games than Bailey then that's his future sorted here.

jb8521

Okay from whatever matches I’ve seen of Teden Mengi on MUTV, especially his exploits in the FA Cup last year, he seems to have the height, size and strength. He has the passing ability. One thing concerns me deeply about him, he isn’t quick enough. He medium fast compared to the likes of Bailly.

I know what you’re thinking, who needs elite speed when you have elite positioning. True. But I’m not sold on his athleticism.

He is very sharp in interceptions and can hold his own in tight situations but considering how we’re trying to pair him with Maguire, I’m not sure he has the speed and athleticism to be successful. While Bailly lacks the cool head Teden has this at least.

Someone who has watched him more... tell me I’m wrong. Tbh I thought Tuanzebe is a better fit but he’s ever crocked the poor lad.
He's ridiculously quick

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's definitely got recovery pace in abundance and will hopefully help in implementing a high line. But I think this season he will be used sparingly.

HowYouDoin

I just have a feeling about this kid. Sometimes when you see real quality takes you only 10 seconds to see it in someone. I see that in Mengi, cant say honestly that I saw that in any of our other CB's.
Dont wanna get ahead of myself here but its sort of how Sir Alex described Cristiano in his book, he said you could just see it instantly and it almost never happens.

Of course Im no Sir Alex and Mengi is no Cristiano but yeah just have a feeling about him.
Also good that he is versatile and he can cover full back positions as well.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He has positional awareness, very crucial for any central defender. He is quick and mobile, good football brain, good passing range, comfortable playing from the back. He is very strong physically and he wins those 50/50s most of the time. You can't outmuscle him in a challenge .

Above all this its his temperament which stands out. Concentrates 100 per cent on the task at hand and is good at his basic job which is defending first.

The only weakness some might say he has is he is not tall enough, but Maguire is not tall. At 18 he will add a few centimetres because he is still growing. What is interesting though is that he wins a lot of aerial duels and scores headers. Something I haven't seen in United defenders in a while.

A very athletic player and to cap everything off he has leadership qualities so he can organise a defence. He has been captain in the under 16's.

Enjoy this journey it will be interesting and he is a local lad born in Manchester which makes him an instant hit with the fans straight away.
Here, you can pin this one too.

Maguire isn’t tall? He’s bloody 6’4 mate.

Several times you’ve mentioned Mengi now scoring goals and with headers. He has one heading goal in 50 underage matches. That isn’t impressive. And 1 goal in 50 matches is most certainly something we’ve seen in United defenders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
mengi not fast, Maguire not tall... what the hell is wrong with these people ?! It's no wonder football opinions range so vastly when judgement is that impaired :lol:

jb8521

Feck me was I wrong. Maybe I never saw the speed because he never had to use it. Though this video looks a lil sped up, he did catchup to a striker free on goal.
Looks like it has been sped up slightly but it's in this video at 1.45

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
how many first team Center Backs do we have now?
Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling. Maybe Mengi.

The others are experiments to see if a player cannot stay fit for 4, 6, or 8 seasons, will they suddenly become fit on their 5th, 7th and 9th season. Our doctors simply scaled their theory that they developed for Anderson, and now are experimenting in multiple bodies at the same time.

tjb

Honestly, I think our plan is and has been to integrate one of our youngsters to the junior centre back role. Tuanzebe was supposed to be that guy, Mengi will be.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It will only be matter of time. As long as we can ship Smalling, Jones & Rojo out of the club, I won't be surprised if it will only be matter of time until his time comes. I very highly doubt we will be worse than today if he plays instead of Lindelof today.

Status
Not open for further replies.