Teden Mengi image 43

Teden Mengi England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think Fergie generally tried to avoid putting youngsters straight in to the spine of the team, and early on would play them wide for a bit, even if that wasn't their best position. Whether that's the best thing to do or not I don't know, but Fergie got things right more often than not of course.
I really don't like it with defenders, although I understand why he would do it. Playing fullback is possible to do decently if you can defend 1v1 capably (TFM did alright here last season), while being in the center requires a much better reading of the game and anticipation, with much less room for error. At the same time, I want our CB prospects to experience being in the center behind a quality midfield and attack, not behind a crap Championship team that wishes to hoof the ball or plays completely different to us. There's no need for Maguire or Lindelof to be playing in the league cup, that is the spot for Mengi and potentially Tuanzebe to get starts if Ole is smart.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I really don't like it with defenders, although I understand why he would do it. Playing fullback is possible to do decently if you can defend 1v1 capably (TFM did alright here last season), while being in the center requires a much better reading of the game and anticipation, with much less room for error. At the same time, I want our CB prospects to experience being in the center behind a quality midfield and attack, not behind a crap Championship team that wishes to hoof the ball or plays completely different to us. There's no need for Maguire or Lindelof to be playing in the league cup, that is the spot for Mengi and potentially Tuanzebe to get starts if Ole is smart.
Yeah, I think it was more to get them used to the occasion, the crowd, the routine and things, first where they could do less harm. He did it with mids and forwards too. Either way I love to see the youngsters play.

Thinking about it Fergie did have a bad habit in minor cup games of playing raw youngsters and experienced men coming back off long injuries at the same time. I always felt that didn't work myself.

tjb

You could argue that Fergie didn't do well with bringing centre backs through. So maybe that was a bad approach.

Glorio

You could argue that Fergie didn't do well with bringing centre backs through. So maybe that was a bad approach.

True that! :eek:

I've got to say he doesn't appear to have the usual height required for a CB. Could be an issue at the top level

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
90 minutes tonight in the middle of a back 3. Lost today, unfortunately. Anyone know how he fared?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The Derby Athletic journalist tweeted he was brilliant 1 minute before they conceded...Mengi lost his man from a corner so was at fault unfortunately. Already playing like a first team United defender :lol:
Aye. One mistake. But he's there to play and learn. At least he was good up until that point :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.