Teden Mengi image 43

Teden Mengi England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

The championship is hardly senior football, I thought you were talking about the EPL.
There’s a reason teams fall down to the Championship and never make it back up. The jump in quality between them and the lower half of the Premier League is a lot less than you would expect.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why is everyone gunning for him to start? Is he a real top talent?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Of course its better than U23 there's no argument about that, my response was to an argument about calling Tuanzabe an stablished player and Mengi a youngster.

I consider them both as youngsters, who are a long way from being stablished footballers at top level at the moment.
Established is probably not the right word but he has proved he can play senior level of football. Mengi is just a kid who dont have any kind of experience.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Established is probably not the right word but he has proved he can play senior level of football. Mengi is just a kid who dont have any kind of experience.
Thats exactly what was said

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Looking through the posts youre right, you said he "has showned he can play at senior football" I dont think he has shown it but thats not the same as saying he's stablished. I apologize.
Yeah no worries mate

Stretender

There are a few Lindelof and Maguire fans in this thread who are about to have a crate of eggs on their faces.

Mengi is better than both Maguire and Lindelof. There I said it.

Lindelof sorry to all his fans won't last a season here. He will be benched by Mengi and will eventually be binned off and rightly so.

How Lindelof ended up in our central defence, I will never know. The guy is as soft as ice cream.

As for Tuanzebe, he is a good kid but he is not better than Mengi. He will need to stake his claim now. He will be given a chance but am not expecting miracles from him.

SAFMUTD

There’s a reason teams fall down to the Championship and never make it back up. The jump in quality between them and the lower half of the Premier League is a lot less than you would expect.
To be fair most teams that go up end up going down the following season, and thats after they bring in a bunch of players. The jump in quality its huge.

Listar

So is this guy the new Tuanzebe? 18 and done absolutely nothing yet to show he might be anywhere near good enough, but all the knee jerkers demand he starts every time we concede a goal.

Leave him alone, let him develop at the right pace and let's see how he looks in a year or two from now.
If we are going to leak goals left right and centre I rather use that as learning curve for the youngsters with higher potentials than it becomes a value depreciating exercise for our seniors. Mengi surely can't do worse than Lindelof.

Red_toad

Why is everyone gunning for him to start? Is he a real top talent?
He’s very good yes. Should not be starting for United, anyone suggesting it needs to give their head a wobble. We don’t need to destroy his confidence. Probably needs a loan next season, then see where he goes from there. At 18 he’s where he needs to be.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If we are going to leak goals left right and centre I rather use that as learning curve for the youngsters with higher potentials than it becomes a value depreciating exercise for our seniors. Mengi surely can't do worse than Lindelof.
:houllier: Get a grip. Mengi maybe a decent talent but this kind of knee jerk hyperbole is insane.

Luckily we have a manager who knows how and when to integrate youth players into our first team. This forum becomes intolerable when fans throw all their toys out of the pram because we lose a game.

Mengi is nowhere close to ready and will rightfully be given time to evolve.

Listar

:houllier: Get a grip. Mengi maybe a decent talent but this kind of knee jerk hyperbole is insane.

Luckily we have a manager who knows how and when to integrate youth players into our first team. This forum becomes intolerable when fans throw all their toys out of the pram because we lose a game.

Mengi is nowhere close to ready and will rightfully be given time to evolve.
I don't think Lindelof was a fan favorite even before the game. It is just that I know he is not that good, but I didn't know he is that bad. The game just opened my eyes on how bad he actually is. And I am not asking to throw the toys out? I am just asking to throw Lindelof out and give the youngsters a chance.

Whats your idea then? Stick with Lindelof and continue conceding more soft goals?

Listar

Greenwood was eased in, I think Mengi will be too
Agreed. Hopefully that is the plan. I am not a fan of going out to buy defenders if we have a couple gems in the making. After what we had done for Greenwood I am more confident we can do the same for those that have a high ceiling.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So you actually think Lindelof is good?
I think Lindelof is a lot better than Mengi right now :lol: Mengi is still a kid!

I think Lindelof has a place in a high quality squad but as a rotational CB. We need someone with different attributes that help get the best out of Maguire as our other key starting CB. That might be Mengi in 2 or 3 years time but certainly not now!

Lindelöf and Maguire did well last year. And they’ll get better as a partnership this year too. It can be improved but it’s not as bad as the insane reactions of our loss.

Listar

I think Lindelof is a lot better than Mengi right now :lol: Mengi is still a kid!

I think Lindelof has a place in a high quality squad but as a rotational CB. We need someone with different attributes that help get the best out of Maguire as our other key starting CB. That might be Mengi in 2 or 3 years time but certainly not now!

Lindelöf and Maguire did well last year. And they’ll get better as a partnership this year too. It can be improved but it’s not as bad as the insane reactions of our loss.
You are making no sense. If we are going to get a first team centre back then why do we still need Lindelof? We have Bailey Mengi and Axel in the wings as rotational CB. How many do you need? I rather give the chance for Mengi and Axel to step up when needed (one of Maguire or new CB gets injured) than waste it on Lindelof?

For your third paragraph I thought so too but always had my reservations. This game just confirms it. I mean don't take it from me, all the ex-pros are saying the same. Heck, even you are saying the same.

AmanNits04

He needs to start with Maguire tonight. Bench James, Lindelof, TFM and Scott. Start Greenwood, DVB,Mengi and AWB. Go full strength and score some goals. Atleast start getting into rythm

Santos J

I'd imagine it's Bailly & Maguire starting with him on the bench, would be surprised if he gets any minutes.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I can see him getting some minutes tonight. I think we'll opt for Bailly and Maguire as our starting pair and bring Mengi on later.

Red_toad

Mengi is better than both Maguire and Lindelof. There I said it.
Cool an untried 18 year old is better. Well done you posted it, now all you need to do is convince Ed you'd be a better manager and implement your theory.

Or at least wait until he's actually played a few matches before going off down the old 'I know better track'...:rolleyes:

Devil81

If he's good enough he will get no better season to stake his claim as this season Bailly and Lindflof are a joke.

Remember the geese

Cool an untried 18 year old is better. Well done you posted it, now all you need to do is convince Ed you'd be a better manager and implement your theory.

Or at least wait until he's actually played a few matches before going off down the old 'I know better track'...:rolleyes:
I also believe he is better than Lindelof. In fact, I can't think of a single attribute Lindelof has over him, other than experience, obviously. Maguire however is far better than Mengi in the air, but Mengi's game compliments Maguire's more than Lindelof's does. Fitness permitting, both Bailly and Tuanzebe should be ahead of Lindelof in the pecking order too.

Last edited:

Red_toad

I also believe he is better than Lindelof. In fact, I can't think of a single attribute Lindelof has over him, other than experience, obviously. Maguire however is far better than Mengi in the air, but Mengi's game compliments Maguire's more than Lindelof's does. Fitness permitting, both Bailly and Tuanzebe should be ahead of Lindelof in the pecking order too.
The word you're looking for potentially better. As he's completely unproven.
How a player performs in the first team is the factor, Rashford & McTommy weren't the big stars of the reserves. Ravel, Januzaj and Wilson were all massively hyped up but where are they now? You are free to think whatever you want, but how a player adapts is a whole different matter.
For me sticking Mengi in this team now would be a disaster for him and the club long term, he's still growing and needs a lot of development.

Baneofthegame

Felt like he should of got a start against Luton, would of been a good test for him alongside Maguire.

Marcus

I guess he would be our back-up to Maguire and Lindelof now.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think Fergie generally tried to avoid putting youngsters straight in to the spine of the team, and early on would play them wide for a bit, even if that wasn't their best position. Whether that's the best thing to do or not I don't know, but Fergie got things right more often than not of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.