Height: 186cm
Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Player agent: ICM Stellar Sports
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2024
Date of last contract extension: Mar 17, 2021

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Kid had a bit of mare. I'm hoping he ends the preseason on a better note than this. It really sucks he can't go back to Rooney.

Mickson

I have not been impressed with him in the last 18 months. He was very good and promising before that. It's up to him now, a good loan (surely) and he is back on the track. But he has been terrible this pre-season (although most of our defender has been terrible).

Drainy

With his aggressive defensive style he's always likely to make mistakes while he's learning. We'll see if he learns from it.

lex talionis

Not an impressive performance at all yesterday by Mengi but he's only 19. Days like this are part of the learning experience.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Kid had a bit of mare. I'm hoping he ends the preseason on a better note than this. It really sucks he can't go back to Rooney.
I thought Derby could sign loan players now?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The space he gave for the first goal was outrageous. But 19 is very young for a CB.

Robaldo

Poor performance, but as others have mentioned he's very young. He looked reasonable on the ball.

Defenders are very hard to call; mental attributes are probably the overriding factor and they often don't show until mid-20s.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not even without a fee and we'd cover the wages?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Poor performance, but as others have mentioned he's very young. He looked reasonable on the ball.

Defenders are very hard to call; mental attributes are probably the overriding factor and they often don't show until mid-20s.
Spot on. Defenders generally don't mature untill mid twenties, and nether Tuanzebe, or Mengi especially, have the experience reguired yet.
In my opinion both need to get good loans this coming season, Tuanzebe possibly PL, Mengi Championship.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Spot on. Defenders generally don't mature untill mid twenties, and nether Tuanzebe, or Mengi especially, have the experience reguired yet.
In my opinion both need to get good loans this coming season, Tuanzebe possibly PL, Mengi Championship.
That would be a long years of loan, before they're ready then?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Who knows.
I did say generally, but as we know players mature at different rates, so there can never be a hard and fast rule to getting a player to a particular standard in a set time frame.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Who knows.
I did say generally, but as we know players mature at different rates, so there can never be a hard and fast rule to getting a player to a particular standard in a set time frame.
True. That's why I always prefer us to buy a 24-25 y.o. players. They are before their peak, but less gamble on potential. Unless the obvious one like Haaland or Sancho, I don't like if our season depend on these young players who most likely won't be great.

Ekeke

Still needs a lot of work. Other than being fast he doesn't really stand out. When playing next to Tuanzabe one area you can see where Tuanzabe is extremely far ahead is on the ball, being calm and finding a pass to help us go forward. Mengi is just playing safe passes and not running the ball into areas where he will face pressure.

Marwood

Yeah that's the reality for most young defenders. Or more likely he gets sold at some point.

To be a centre back at a big club before you're about 25 takes someone very special.

Mickson

Does not play with the U23, does not play with the first team, and no rumors on a loan so far. Does he even train? Injured?

Gandalf

Does not play with the U23, does not play with the first team, and no rumors on a loan so far. Does he even train? Injured?
The last thing I saw was from around a couple of weeks ago when it was being reported that Derby wanted him on loan again but he did not want to go. If that was the case then I would assume we are working on finding a loan that suits the player and the club and possibly keeping him out of U23 action ahead of the deadline so as not to risk an injury.

EDIT. Just went back and checked and it was in the Athletic back on August 5th that Derby had a deal in place but he did not want to go as he wanted a loan to a promotion contender and not the bookies favourites for relegation.

Last edited:

Arth_

Looks like he won't be going on loan at least until January, according to recent reports from MEN. Disappointing that we weren't able to find him a loan destination, even if move to Derby collapsed for one reason or another. Will definitely be useful for u23s given they are low on number and poor defensive displays we've seen from them so far this season. But I think this may hamper his development. Realistically he's 6th choice center back for the seniors, so barring an absolutely disastrous injury crisis, he's not gonna feature.

United in sin

Helped Bailly at the back big time when he came on. One of the only positives today

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He was getting twisted all night, a target for the opposition as they launched a lot of crosses from his side, and he was out of position loads.

He was strong and put in some good blocks.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He made 3-4 good tackles. He has potential, needs to train with the first team now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Played like a centre-back at left back position which, alongside with Wan-Bissaka's narrow positioning, made us quite vulnerable to crossing. Looked pretty decent otherwise & that recovery tackle was brilliant.

Too early to tell if he has real potential, we've had so many of those young academy defenders having a great debut game and then fading away slowly, but I'm intrigued to watch how he develops.

Devil may care

I thought he did well considering he's clearly not a fullback, solid debut, especially out of position.

JG3001

Didn’t know his position until reading about him now, but glad to see he’s not a fullback because his positioning was awful. Decent cameo though given the circumstances.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ro-Shaun, Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah and Mengi were all great in the u18. They are ridiculously quick, athletic and strong for their age. And actually were decent on the ball (maybe because of their physical dominance).

Mengi has really struggled in the academy the past 2 years but did well on loan. His trajectory looks worse than theirs and it would be very surprising if he makes the first team here soon.

Biggest CB talent now is likely Kambwala who just came back from a very lengthy injury.

Played like a centre-back at left back position which, alongside with Wan-Bissaka's narrow positioning, made us quite vulnerable to crossing. Looked pretty decent otherwise & that recovery tackle was brilliant.

Too early to tell if he has real potential, we've had so many of those young academy defenders having a great debut game and then fading away slowly, but I'm intrigued to watch how he develops.

roseguy64

Would agree entirely with this. Everything else apart from LB positioning and he looked good.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Ro-Shaun, Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah and Mengi were all great in the u18. They are ridiculously quick, athletic and strong for their age. And actually were decent on the ball (maybe because of their physical dominance).

Mengi has really struggled in the academy the past 2 years but did well on loan. His trajectory looks worse than theirs and it would be very surprising if he makes the first team here soon.

Biggest CB talent now is likely Kambwala who just came back from a very lengthy injury.
He looked frightened on loan at Derby and then got injured IIRC, some players might need longer time to develop, and the best thing might be just to ship them out and play regular senior football elsewhere.

RedDevilRoshi

I thought he did well considering he's clearly not a fullback, solid debut, especially out of position.
Agreed. Loved his instinct reaction when he accidentally slipped but still quickly got back up on his feet to still make the block from their attacker.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What would he be like for our RB position?

Was Rooney saying that he was the one who had potential?

GueRed

'The next Bryan Robson' according to some on the internet I remember.

Some of the hyperbolic bollocks describing young players down the years is just :houllier:

You just hope they dont read it and let it get to them if they do...

Regarding Mengi I hope he continues his football education by getting another loan this January, will do him good I think..

Oranges038

Did well, looks tidy on the ball.

Definitely not a left back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.