Height: 186cm
Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Player Agent: ICM Stellar Sports
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2024
Contract Option: Club option 1 year
Date of Last Contract Extension: Mar 17, 2021​

aeh1991

Has it been revealed yet why he isn't with the pre-season squad? Is he injured or something?

Telsim

Whatever happened to him? Is he playing with the U21s?

Bondi77

I have just noticed he has been playing U21 football again.
I would imagine he will be involved in the winter camp due to the lack of CBs available so a chance to impress Erik.

Onerealunited

There is a big chance that he will be loaned out when the winther transfer season opens - and rightly

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Happy to see him back in 1st team training today. I'm still holding out (blind) hope on him becoming a regular at United, despite all the injuries. And he's only 20. Probably not going to happen though, which is a shame as he is so talented. Realistically just hope he stays fit and goes on to build himself a career as a pro somewhere.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
With Maguire out for Brighton is there a chance of Mengi being in the squad?

Revaulx

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play, but a friend who knows about these things reckons he isn’t a great defender but is really cool at keeping hold of the ball.

If that’s actually true it would be nice to see him brought on late in a game we are comfortably winning. We tend to get panicky; maybe he could calm things down?

top1whoisman

Scout
I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play, but a friend who knows about these things reckons he isn’t a great defender but is really cool at keeping hold of the ball.

If that’s actually true it would be nice to see him brought on late in a game we are comfortably winning. We tend to get panicky; maybe he could calm things down?
That would require him being fit every now and then. Unfortunately that doesn't seem realistic at the moment. He was very good at defending too. Strong, fast, good in tackle, very good timing and anticipation etc.

Such a shame, but that's how the careers go for some players. Of course he's still only 20 but the amount of football he's missed worries me. Hope he somehow recovers to have a career somewhere.

Revaulx

That would require him being fit every now and then. Unfortunately that doesn't seem realistic at the moment. He was very good at defending too. Strong, fast, good in tackle, very good timing and anticipation etc.

Such a shame, but that's how the careers go for some players. Of course he's still only 20 but the amount of football he's missed worries me. Hope he somehow recovers to have a career somewhere.
Sounds rather like Axel, but with the injuries kicking in even earlier.

As you say, such a shame. A reminder that even with bags of talent and top class attitude / application, making it as a footballer is still incredibly dicey.

top1whoisman

Scout
Sounds rather like Axel, but with the injuries kicking in even earlier.

As you say, such a shame. A reminder that even with bags of talent and top class attitude / application, making it as a footballer is still incredibly dicey.
Very much so indeed. The injury issues is the hardest one to take as there's often not much a player can do. With most things that can happen in football you can always look in the mirror and control how you react to adversity. But severe injuries at a crucial point of your career and it's more or less game over.

daba

I really rated the guy about three years ago. He just hasn't developed as I hoped.
Same. Genuinely gutted as I thought he could have been a monster for us. He’s strong, quick, class on the ball and would have been the perfect Varane understudy for the next couple years.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

What is it with us and all our most hyped youth defenders being injury prone these last few years? Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mengi, Laird.

Although I guess that just fits in with our first team defenders as well. Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Shaw, now Varane, to a lesser extent Smalling. Hell, going back all the way to 06/07 I think there's only been two or three seasons where we haven't had our annual defensive injury crisis.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He was strong at reserve levels. It remains to he seen how the defensive side of his game pans out against physically stronger players in first team football. Needs a loan or 2 but first needs to be able to stay fit

Glorio

Besides injuries (may have been a factor), his performance levels have dipped significantly over the last couple of years

Marwood

What is it with us and all our most hyped youth defenders being injury prone these last few years? Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mengi, Laird.

Although I guess that just fits in with our first team defenders as well. Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Shaw, now Varane, to a lesser extent Smalling. Hell, going back all the way to 06/07 I think there's only been two or three seasons where we haven't had our annual defensive injury crisis.
Yeah its a very strange coincidence. A real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.