Teden Mengi Attitude on Hugging/Laughing with Opposition is a breath of fresh air

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I’ve no idea why it’s being praised, but I can under why fans want hungry competitive players. Both were in the wrong.
After listening to Bruno interview the other day when he talked about how competitive he is, his wife has to tell him to allow their 3 year old daughter to win when they play board games, as he can’t stand loosing at anything. That’s the kind of players the fans want and can relate to.
I agree with attitude part but Bruno would never ( atleast I hope ) publically tell that we lost because we are friends with enemy. He brushed off his altercation with Lindelof soon after semi final defeat. That's what teammates do.Its just weird thing to suggest on social media for your team mate. Makes it worse when your own performance was woeful.

It's just that being visibly angry is not the only way to show you care. And dressing room talks should not happen on public platform. He is U23 captain, it's time he acts like one.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This would hold weight if Mengi hadn't been the worst player on the pitch, or hadn't been generally poor all season, realtive to his standards. Sounds like he's taking out the frustration of his own poor performances on someone else. We didn't lose because Mejbri was smiling with his mate before kick off, we lost because they were better than us in every area of the pitch, perhaps not conceding 2 in the first minute might help us out next time. I don't find the attitude a breath of fresh air at all, I find it immature, Liverpool and City haven't become the best teams in England by airing all their dirty laundry on Instagram.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Having friends in rival clubs is a bit weird to me. I always wonder how sentimentality would work in such cases, would players not go as hard as they would against those they consider as mates?

We used to have a team full of serious players, that knew when they can enjoy their game and when it was time to stamp some authority against our rivals. We don't have that anymore.
It's a profession to these guys. Telling players not to have friends in rival clubs is ridiculous imo.

Last edited:

Norris

I don't think it really matters what you do before or after a game. What matters is the intensity and desire you show in those 90 minutes. They can be best of mates for all I care and having a laugh pre-game, so long as you are on the money when it matters.

I also don't think it's wise to call out your teammate on a public forum for being friendly, even in private for that matter. The other guy was laughing too and Chelsea went on to spank us.

All in all, a big fuss made over nothing, by the reporters picking up on this, by Mengi for using IG as a platform for venting, for us unfortunately having to comment on it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I never said i would deck him like Roy Keane ever i said what he said about player attitudes and if you want to be mates do it Behind Closed doors and that should be instilled early, I never watched the class of 92 do it watching when Rashford or Greenwood were coming through. You don't see any liverpool side do it do you? It is not being a Robot its about doing your job.
This is true, Liverpool players don't hug their opponents after a match? I'm sure I've seen Allison and Ederson laughing it up after Pool/City games.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Regardless of your opinion about hugging or being friendly, posting it as a comment there is not on.
If you have a problem, go and face the man.
I am now hearing he was the poorest of the lot.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Jesus, friction in the U23’s now? Hannibal saying it’s good you said “we” because Mengi was partly at fault (he’s not ready for the first team by the way)

Hannibal should shut the feck up and listen to his captain, even if he was at fault. You don’t post a picture like that after a heavy defeat.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In fairness I'm willing to cut them some stick as fans aren't in the stadiums. I think a lot of the hugging and friendliness won't be seen when there's 60,000 of your own fans to run to when the game is done.

Obviously decrease the number for youth/reserves games.

A-man

Things like this almost irritates me. Teden Mengi who was the worst player on the pitch, whose performance was so crap he should have been taken off the pitch after 10 minutes - attacks Hannibal who was miles better, and actually looked like he wanted to win the game.

Mengi gave Chelsea 2 goals after 3 minutes of football, maybe next time he should focus on his own performance rather than attack Hannibal. We didn't lose the game because we were too friendly - we lost the game because Mengi showed zero focus when the game started
This is the typical reaction from today’s social media oriented fans. One player showed the right mentality on the pitch, but posted a picture of himself being friends with a Chelsea player. Another player showed poor mentality on the pitch, but the “right” mentality on social media. And now fans think the latter is captain material.

sillwuka

He's had a shocker. Calling out your teammate on the platform for everyone to see.

Fight on the pitch, don't do your talking on Instagram for god sake.

Bigsid

Good to see 5 of lads who played in this debacle in first team squad for wolves game. WTF.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It must be an odd experience coming through a club like Utd. No matter how good you are, you know the odds are firmly stacked against you making it here. Whatever you do at a "U" level, you'll always have one eye on what doors it will open further down the line.

No shame in this either, as long as you're giving you're all. Clubs are just as, if not more so, fickle towards their own players when it comes to guaranteeing future prospects.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The idea that players can’t be friends with opposition players and still give their all on the pitch is very silly.

Gordon S

Mengi should be angry after that performance. He had a mare. Not sure why he is pointing fingers at Hannibal though? He has not been fantastic but is almost always playing with agression and determination. Weird from Mengi.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because it is? Players back in those days were more robust and had a winning mentality, we don't have anything close to that currently and I do believe things like what I mentioned earlier might be an issue, in terms of the way we approach games and how far are players willing to go to win matches.
Where is any of that coming from? Current players are better athletes due to how they prepare themselves, they have to deal with more competition because the transfer market is globalized, they are more professional and have more public pressure due to wider media coverage. And what makes you think that they don't have a winning mentality?

Based Adnan

It's a good attitude to have imo but don't air out the dirty laundry in public via instagram comments ffs

The Original

why can they not be friends or share a hug/laugh after the game?

Football fans rather all sports fans seem to have some really bizarre expectations of sportsmen they support. They are not medeival era gladiators. They are just really well paid employees who get to kick a ball for living.

It isn't a fight to death, you don't need enemies. Imagine if an adult said what mengi said to you on your job, most would laugh at that person and call him a weirdo. But a teenager is apparently applauded for it.
Is your job an adversarial one where you have to physically and mentally overcome an opponent in order to win?

Context is important.

For example, I'd imagine these comments won't make sense to a corporate banker but might make perfect sense to a security guard.

To use a more reasonable example, would you want to go to court with a lawyer who was best friends with the opposing counsel?

DoomSlayer

Where is any of that coming from? Current players are better athletes due to how they prepare themselves, they have to deal with more competition because the transfer market is globalized, they are more professional and have more public pressure due to wider media coverage. And what makes you think that they don't have a winning mentality?
What do you mean where is it coming from? It's how I see it, my perception of our team currently and football overall. Being robust and more assertive on the pitch has nothing to do with athleticism.

There might be more competition, but the financial benefits from the sport have skyrocketed and it's a lot more tempting to just stay comfortable in the game. I'm not even saying that as a negative, you find that in any part of life, but the club desperately needs more players like Bruno, for example, because our attitude hasn't been right since Sir Alex retired. Players used to not only take rivalries serious, but they used to hold their teammates accountable as well, not letting the standards and mentality slip due to financial comfort or after winning the major trophies. It's how Sir Alex became the greatest manager of all time - win the title, have the celebration ceremony and when it's all done, it's back to the drawing board, thinking about next season and how the team has to be prepared to win again.

JPRouve

Scout
What do you mean where is it coming from? It's how I see it, my perception of our team currently and football overall. Being robust and more assertive on the pitch has nothing to do with athleticism.

There might be more competition, but the financial benefits from the sport have skyrocketed and it's a lot more tempting to just stay comfortable in the game. I'm not even saying that as a negative, you find that in any part of life, but the club desperately needs more players like Bruno, for example, because our attitude hasn't been right since Sir Alex retired. Players used to not only take rivalries serious, but they used to hold their teammates accountable as well, not letting the standards and mentality slip due to financial comfort or after winning the major trophies. It's how Sir Alex became the greatest manager of all time - win the title, have the celebration ceremony and when it's all done, it's back to the drawing board, thinking about next season and how the team has to be prepared to win again.
That's what I don't follow here. United of the past 7 years doesn't represent football overall, it would be like using 1995 Tottenham as a point of reference. We are not at the top anymore but look at the teams that have been at the top in the last 5 years, have they lacked accountability, have they lacked assertiveness on the pitch or robustness?

DoomSlayer

That's what I don't follow here. United of the past 7 years doesn't represent football overall, it would be like using 1995 Tottenham as a point of reference. We are not at the top anymore but look at the teams that have been at the top in the last 5 years, have they lacked accountability, have they lacked assertiveness on the pitch or robustness?
Okay, that's fair enough. Of course the top teams have that killer instinct, the likes of Bayern or Real would never win so much without it. Maybe my problem truly is more to do with the environment around our club specifically.

But I do believe rivalries between the top teams seem less and less potent. It's more to do with the history behind it, rather than what goes on the pitch, whereas our old teams used to be the ones creating that history on the pitch. Maybe it's just because we suck nowadays and I try to rationalise what is happening to our club by fitting the narrative to my agenda. :lol:

SmallCaine

Is your job an adversarial one where you have to physically and mentally overcome an opponent in order to win?

Context is important.

For example, I'd imagine these comments won't make sense to a corporate banker but might make perfect sense to a security guard.

To use a more reasonable example, would you want to go to court with a lawyer who was best friends with the opposing counsel?
This is the whole problem for me, you will find a lot of people who fit exactly what you are describing as questionable, and that is how it works in most sectors.

No one sets out to make friends with people in adversarial position, but you do friends who can be perceived to be our adversaries when you are working. Its not an unthinkable crime to share a moment with your friend before a game. Its not in most jobs nor should it be so in football.

lysglimt

Scout
How did you went about through your complex mind and came out with that question? Nobody is like me, and no, they are not all stupid. just Mejbri.
Mejbri has a lot of faults as a footballer - but to call him stupid ?

JPRouve

Scout
Okay, that's fair enough. Of course the top teams have that killer instinct, the likes of Bayern or Real would never win so much without it. Maybe my problem truly is more to do with the environment around our club specifically.

But I do believe rivalries between the top teams seem less and less potent. It's more to do with the history behind it, rather than what goes on the pitch, whereas our old teams used to be the ones creating that history on the pitch. Maybe it's just because we suck nowadays and I try to rationalise what is happening to our club by fitting the narrative to my agenda. :lol:
I suspected that it was tightly linked to United which is something that I totally get. :D

As for rivalries, there are two things that people tend to overlook in particular. First most rivalries are only meaningful when there is a competitive context if rivals aren't equals for a relatively long time then the rivalry will lose some of its intensity. The other thing is that football being more global, strictly local derbies will not be as important for players particularly when they haven't spent significant time in the area and if the club isn't full of locals.

For example the rivalry between Lyon and Saint Etienne hasn't changed they are still fierce rivals while the rivalry between Bayern Munich and the HSV is almost defunct because the HSV are useless. The rivalry between United and Arsenal isn't the same because it isn't a competition for silverware anymore, it's a bit hollow.

lysglimt

Scout
Because it is? Players back in those days were more robust and had a winning mentality, we don't have anything close to that currently and I do believe things like what I mentioned earlier might be an issue, in terms of the way we approach games and how far are players willing to go to win matches.
People change as society change. If you go back to the 70s - people were even more robust, they played injured - they sacrificed everything to win the ball - but they had many advantages todays footballers dont have:
a) It wasn't mentally as tough to play football - you didn't have fans slaughtering them on social media, newspaper ridiculing them - and few matches were shown live on tv.
b) You didn't have live like a professional to compete. Even in the 80s there were several players who were partying at best, being alcoholics at work - despite being among the best in the country. Today - you have to live, think and play football 24/7 or you end up not having a career.

Roy Keane's winning mentality would have seen him sent off 5 matches each season in 2020. Whereas in 1970 - he would be nothing special in terms of being a hardman and a "winner" - and yes few players would have accepted being punched or harrassed in the dressing room by Roy Keane in 2020

DoomSlayer

People change as society change. If you go back to the 70s - people were even more robust, they played injured - they sacrificed everything to win the ball - but they had many advantages todays footballers dont have:
a) It wasn't mentally as tough to play football - you didn't have fans slaughtering them on social media, newspaper ridiculing them - and few matches were shown live on tv.
b) You didn't have live like a professional to compete. Even in the 80s there were several players who were partying at best, being alcoholics at work - despite being among the best in the country. Today - you have to live, think and play football 24/7 or you end up not having a career.

Roy Keane's winning mentality would have seen him sent off 5 matches each season in 2020. Whereas in 1970 - he would be nothing special in terms of being a hardman and a "winner" - and yes few players would have accepted being punched or harrassed in the dressing room by Roy Keane in 2020
All of what you say is true. But if the modern day footballer takes the game just as a "job", what will keep the fans invested in their teams? I'll be honest, I've almost completely lost interest in football, my connection to Manchester United is the only thing left. And it is precisely because football nowadays seems more like "get the job done and let's go home in our millionaire mansions". I don't even get excited by matches anymore, I watch our games due to the habit.

SmallCaine

The best teams have the best players and the biggest winners off them all, not only talent to kick a ball, I think you fail to realize that. Bruno is refreshing not just because he is a good footballer, with his attitude he sets standards and wants everyone to strive to get there. That's what winners do, winners don't tolerate shit from teammates, and you as a United fan should know that, our greatest ever captain was the definition of winning mentality.

Winning mentality doesn't stop him being friends with whoever he wishes for, so does not posting a picture in inadequate time for himself and his team. And don't mix winning mentality with hate, nobody said you should hate your opponent.

Posting a picture can never lose you a game, especially a game that played out previously, it's a nonsense sentence you wrote, and completely off point, it's the mindset that we talk about, the Chelsea player won a game 6:1 against one of his biggest rivals, not sure what you are missing here. We lost because Mengi was absolute shit, so were number of other players, including Mejbri, you don't lose a game 6:1 because of one reason.
Again how is winning mentality mutually exclusive from being friendly with your opponent before the game.

Plenty of city and liverpool players share a laugh and a hug pre/post game with their opponents. Seems to not affect them from winning what's so special about utd ones that unless they started being meaner and more detached they can't.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It would be weird if there wasn't some unhappy faces after a loss like that. Both Mengi and Hannibal are winners and both leaders, one had a bad game and probably got criticised by the other, so he followed up with this comment that it's a team effort and you should have my back not the opposition players.

Get along boys, and lead us to victories.:devil:

90 + 5min

I don't like to see this kind of stuff in social media. First, the picture. Then, the comment. It should be dealt inside dressing room.

However, I like the messege Mengi wanted to get out. Nobody is saying you have to break up with every friend. But there is common sense that you don't post picture with your rivals.

Danillaco

"Mejbri refused to take sole blame for the defeat, replying: "It's good that you said WE", before Mengi wrote: "It's a team sport not an individual one."

After the Chelsea battering
Proper reaction and amazing quote. Too many friends, not enough enemies.

Neville has taught this one well.

InfiniteBoredom

All of this kerfuffle reminds me of when the Barca - Madrid matchup got too toxic because Mourinho was stoking it, and senior players from both sides got together and got a truce. Didn’t seem to hurt Real after that when they started beating Barca in El Classico and wining CL.

The idea that you have to see everybody else but your teammates as enemies in order to succeed is unfounded.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
All of this kerfuffle reminds me of when the Barca - Madrid matchup got too toxic because Mourinho was stoking it, and senior players from both sides got together and got a truce. Didn’t seem to hurt Real after that when they started beating Barca in El Classico and wining CL.

The idea that you have to see everybody else but your teammates as enemies in order to succeed is unfounded.
It’s not particular ‘everyone else’ but you can’t be posting pictures up like that with the opposition after a heavy loss with a top rival. Keane’s criticism after the first team’s draw with City probably slightly harsh but there’s a reason why Derbies are dogshit now and that friendliness is why.

InfiniteBoredom

It’s not particular ‘everyone else’ but you can’t be posting pictures up like that with the opposition after a heavy loss with a top rival. Keane’s criticism after the first team’s draw with City probably slightly harsh but there’s a reason why Derbies are dogshit now and that friendliness is why.
I don’t feel like derbies or games against Liverpool are all that much different nowadays, we had plenty of similarly shit games against both back then, sans the friendliness.

The animosity is just something that appeals to the tribalistic nature of the fans. If you watch City’s Amazon docu, they were clearly mightily pissed off after losing to us at home. Players do care.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I find Roy Keane's wolverine impersonation a bit too OTT and tired. Captains don't need to punch their mates to keep them in line and there are many successful captains who didn't resort to that. However we got too many players who are simply happy to lose. I get it not every player we got support us. No one expects that either. However I think players should be angry of losing, enough to leave the pitch without feeling the need to hug half the opponent's team. If these players don't have the dignity of doing that then maybe they should do it because they fear for their job.

Its also time for fans to stand up and be counted. I know that many of them feel that if they confront a player then that player would probably become an emotional wreck but its really not the case. So if there's something you don't like on the pitch then make your voice heard. This is your club and you are the guardians of it. Rest assured that if god forbid the clubs end up in a financial mess then most of the people you currently adore will leave it. You're the one who will stick around. So don't be shy protecting what you love. If you don't, no one will.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
That’s the problem with these new generation of footballers. Everything has to be posted on social media for them. It’s like they cannot just do these things in the dressing room. Idiots.

saivet

I think it's just an old school mentality that doesn't hold any meaning. I listened to an interview with Rio who even admitted that that kind of mentality hindered England at international level.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ha!

I made a thread on here after the City hugs and kisses and many posters piled in to suggest my view lacked nuance and understanding of the modern player.

Interesting that a lad so young would hold the same opinion.

Red00012

The days when you can go to your teammate and say it to his face are gone clearly