Teden Mengi | signs for Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watched it on ifollow as part of my Wycombe season ticket.

Looks pretty strong and quick.

Will he overtake Tuanzebe soon? I remember Tuanzebe was getting rave reviews for a while.

lysglimt

Scout
Didn't see the game but was one of the least impressive Derby-players according to player ratings - but generally poor form all season, new position and debut so perhaps not so strange

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Started CB tonight, having a tough time out there though
It's a tough division, and Mengi is very inexperienced, but he would have hopefully learnt a lot tonight facing an international striker. It's how he takes these lessons on board which will define him.

Santos J

So how did he play?
Very shit, wasn't the only one though and the defence was shuffled about by Rooney for some reason but I'd be surprised if he gets another start for a few games at least. Looked quite out of his depth.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Was given a score of 7.5 on the Derby Telegraph site, second top marks behind the keeper, seems to have done better tonight. All good for him, looking forward to seeing him play more regularly now.

Last edited:

Mickson

From a Derby forum, where everyone rated him from 6 to 8. He played CB, which is good to see:

Mengi 8 - really impressive, read the game well

Mengi............8 MOTM Beast-like. Showed tremendous appetite and desire not to be dominated. This chap is going to be a big player.

Mengi 7 - good game also & looked 10 times better than at Cardiff. Positionally pretty good & cut out plenty of attacks but recovered very quickly when caught out. Only big error was letting their lad get beyond him late on but was lucky he decided to dive instead of drive onto goal

SAFMUTD

Another one who won't make it here, I'd say a straight sell would be better but maybe there aren't any suitors?

Mickson

Another one who won't make it here, I'd say a straight sell would be better but maybe there aren't any suitors?
His contract runs out in 2024 (option for an extra year). My guess: United loans him out, hopes that he does great, triggers the option for a year, and sell him for like £2m, a bit like Ethan Laird.

SAFMUTD

His contract runs out in 2024 (option for an extra year). My guess: United loans him out, hopes that he does great, triggers the option for a year, and sell him for like £2m, a bit like Ethan Laird.
Or things don't go great and he's let go next year. When it's so clear a youngster won't make it why delay the decision? Just straight sell.

YikesSchmeics

Laird and Mengi were the Cafs nailed on future stars a few years ago. Closest I've seen to consensus sure things. Future England captain etc. Neither look likely to make it here sadly.

I think we all need to cool the jets with the young players!

kundalini

Or things don't go great and he's let go next year. When it's so clear a youngster won't make it why delay the decision? Just straight sell.
The vast majority of transfers are loans and free transfers. In practice, selling Mengi at the point in time would mean receiving a fee that is either zero or a tiny amount. Perhaps you could find a Championship or League One team willing to pay £75K for him. On Transfermarkt you can find the list of incoming transfers to the Championship with the related fees. Last season Championship clubs paid a transfer fee for 47 players (11 of which were CBs), the rest were loans and free transfers.

There is a reason why United didn't use the +1 year option on the contracts of Di'Shon Bernard and Ethan Galbraith; it's because there is no market for that standard of player.

The most likely scenario is that Mengi will get released next summer, though if he plays regularly (at Championship level or equivalent) then we might get £500K to £750K + a sell on percentage. If a manager with connections to United wants him, then perhaps they might rate him highly enough for United to get more.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

The vast majority of transfers are loans and free transfers. In practice, selling Mengi at the point in time would mean receiving a fee that is either zero or a tiny amount. Perhaps you could find a Championship or League One team willing to pay £75K for him. On Transfermarkt you can find the list of incoming transfers to the Championship with the related fees. Last season Championship clubs paid a transfer fee for 47 players (11 of which were CBs), the rest were loans and free transfers.

There is a reason why United didn't use the +1 year option on the contracts of Di'Shon Bernard and Ethan Galbraith; it's because there is no market for that standard of player.

The most likely scenario is that Mengi will get released next summer, though if he plays regularly (at Championship level or equivalent) then we might get £500K to £750K + a sell on percentage. If a manager with connections to United wants him, then perhaps they might rate him highly enough for United to get more.
Didnt knew the prices were so low on lower divisions. If its as you say then its the same to loan him than to sell him, 75K makes absolutely no difference.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Laird and Mengi were the Cafs nailed on future stars a few years ago. Closest I've seen to consensus sure things. Future England captain etc. Neither look likely to make it here sadly.

It's always been that way here. Caf posters will never learn.

KevinJoh

I guess decision to loan him out is the best we can do at the moment. People forgot that he was injured for a long time. His both loans have been good until the injury. With both Derby and Birmingham he proved he can play Championship football, so that is not the question. The question is can he stay fit, as he was injured in both loans and both bad ones that ruled him out for months. So, if he stays fit for a whole season and get going in Championship, next year we should take a year on him and either sell him or keep him with longer deal if he make a big comeback. Reality is that he will be sold next year or released.

SparkedIntoLife

Yep I think that’s true. I never saw much potential in Mengi but others raves about him. Laird, though, seemed really talented and a good character to boot. I still think he’ll be a PL player if he can stay fit.

Both these players had their progress halted by bad injuries. The same happened to Tuanzebe. I don’t know if it’s just bad luck or whether there’s something deeper going on.

Personally, I have had a feeling for a while that our academy prioritises technique over physical prowess, which is admirable and has proven fruitful in the past (Scholes being the best example - was really small and struggled with his asthma early on). However, the downside is we can tend to produce players who aren’t so robust and maybe even neglect physical preparation. I might be wrong but too often our youth graduates appear injury prone or too physically weak.

Fitchett

Good point. I watch the u-21 games quite often at my local stadium, Leigh Sports Village. I know that we often field younger players than the opposition, but we are nearly always much smaller than the opposition. Crystal Palace are giants compared to our players. United players generally have a better technique, but are often out muscled by the opposition, with referees at that level not clamping down on foul play.

wolvored

I read somewhere,( but cant find it now typical) that TH only wanted Utd to recruit and keep the best talent and get shut if they wasnt showing excellent progress at an early age, not keep average players into their 20s, before letting them go. We may see more of these players leave early if that is correct.

Bertie Wooster

True.

Though they've both been greatly affected by injuries which, I guess, is tough to weigh into the equation beforehand when judging a young players potential.

Obviously some do go overboard when predicting just how great the young players are / can become, or say they're already 'way better' than the 'useless' senior options, etc.

However, I think it's still a fair thing to predict which players have the most potential / best opportunity to become part of the first team squad (if they avoid injuries and get genuine opportunities, etc).

For instance, in this latest group, I think it's fair to say that the likes of Mainoo, Amad, Hannibal have far more of an opportunity to make it here than the likes of Savage, Hugill, McNeill, Forson, Emeran, etc. And to go on to say that it would be nice to see them get a genuine opportunity at some point to try to prove themselves.

But, yeah, some will probably get a little carried away in their eagerness to see them selected for the first team.

OldRed1

True.

Though they've both been greatly affected by injuries which, I guess, is tough to weigh into the equation beforehand when judging a young players potential.

Obviously some do go overboard when predicting just how great the young players are / can become, or say they're already 'way better' than the 'useless' senior options, etc.

However, I think it's still a fair thing to predict which players have the most potential / best opportunity to become part of the first team squad (if they avoid injuries and get genuine opportunities, etc).

For instance, in this latest group, I think it's fair to say that the likes of Mainoo, Amad, Hannibal have far more of an opportunity to make it here than the likes of Savage, Hugill, McNeill, Forson, Emeran, etc. And to go on to say that it would be nice to see them get a genuine opportunity at some point to try to prove themselves.

But, yeah, some will probably get a little carried away in their eagerness to see them selected for the first team.
It's also worth noting that not one player who plays for us is 'shit' or as one of our eminent experts put it 'a stinking pile of dog shit in the middle of the pitch' or words to that effect.

Ace of Spades

He was talented, but injuries have taken the toll. Needs games to continue his progress, and hope his injuries are behind him.

Bertie Wooster

It's also worth noting that not one player who plays for us is 'shit' or as one of our eminent experts put it 'a stinking pile of dog shit in the middle of the pitch' or words to that effect.
True.

For all the ones maybe guilty of exaggerating just how good some of the better young players coming through are, then there's as many who go to the opposite extreme and exaggerate about how 'poor' a player is that they don't rate.

Ace of Spades

True.

For all the ones maybe guilty of exaggerating just how good some of the better young players coming through are, then there's as many who go to the opposite extreme and exaggerate about how 'poor' a player is that they don't rate.
People need to understand that it is impossible to predict the future. Plenty of 'wonderkids' have failed and plenty of average players have gone on to be successful players. A player's career is constantly changing, and very few actually reach the top.

But the two things that are certain imo are, 1. you need to actually play games to develop as a player, and 2. you never know how a player will react to playing at a higher level from the academy unless given a chance.

Right now, what we saw was that most of the young players held their own, and no one looked absolutely awful.

Fish for example looked terrible last pre-season, this time he looked very comfortable. Just shows how quickly things can change for players in a short span of time.

KevinJoh

I read somewhere,( but cant find it now typical) that TH only wanted Utd to recruit and keep the best talent and get shut if they wasnt showing excellent progress at an early age, not keep average players into their 20s, before letting them go. We may see more of these players leave early if that is correct.
That decision should not be on Ten Hag, but on Murtough and Fletcher, I guess. Sometimes it is valuable to keep average players as you need a little bit experience in younger teams, and a little bit of physicality. Talents won't develop properly if they are playing in the team that can't cope with physical teams and that is often our problem when we play U18 in U21 league. It is not an easy call. You should not expect to have 5 or 10 squad players from generation, even 1 is success. So, having average striker for example is better, than not having a striker that can play U21 football.
Also, players with average potential can make good career in lower divisions, and with loaning them out later on or even releasing them and sending them for free to League One or CH clubs can help you later on to get connections with those clubs and talents later on.

wolvored

That decision should not be on Ten Hag, but on Murtough and Fletcher, I guess. Sometimes it is valuable to keep average players as you need a little bit experience in younger teams, and a little bit of physicality. Talents won't develop properly if they are playing in the team that can't cope with physical teams and that is often our problem when we play U18 in U21 league. It is not an easy call. You should not expect to have 5 or 10 squad players from generation, even 1 is success. So, having average striker for example is better, than not having a striker that can play U21 football.
Also, players with average potential can make good career in lower divisions, and with loaning them out later on or even releasing them and sending them for free to League One or CH clubs can help you later on to get connections with those clubs and talents later on.
The article was about the benefit of making the first team, not sell ons and that was TH take on it. Basically saying he would not promote for the sake of keeping youth progression, unless they were as good or better than he had, technical wise. Mctom being a good example I suppose.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
People need to understand that it is impossible to predict the future. Plenty of 'wonderkids' have failed and plenty of average players have gone on to be successful players. A player's career is constantly changing, and very few actually reach the top.

But the two things that are certain imo are, 1. you need to actually play games to develop as a player, and 2. you never know how a player will react to playing at a higher level from the academy unless given a chance.

Right now, what we saw was that most of the young players held their own, and no one looked absolutely awful.

Fish for example looked terrible last pre-season, this time he looked very comfortable. Just shows how quickly things can change for players in a short span of time.
Good points. It's virtually impossible to predict which academy players will make it to the top, who knows what would have happened to Marcus Rashford if he hadn't got that opportunity due to injury a few years ago.
Fish, I believe, has played for Hibernian recently, and if I remember right, someone will confirm or otherwise, that he was struggling early on, but gradually got accustomed to playing in senior football, and as you have pointed out, looks a much better player now.
So yes, if a youngster gets a number of senior appearances under their belt, then they will certainly improve, conversely, players who miss a significant amount of senior games through injury, will slip behind others, look at Tuanzebe and Laird.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Ethan Laird has already proven himself to be a more than useful player, would not be at all surprised to see him in the Premier League at some point. That is pretty good going for any academy product, so I don't think those who marked him out as one to watch can be considered wrong. Mengi could definitely go the same way, he did well for Derby when he was on loan there.

Making it at United is of course a very high bar. Predicting who will do that is a difficult game as posters above have stated. There is a tendency to see promise in a player early on and think they might make it, but that is part of the excitement of kids coming through.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Ethan Laird has already proven himself to be a more than useful player, would not be at all surprised to see him in the Premier League at some point. That is pretty good going for any academy product, so I don't think those who marked him out as one to watch can be considered wrong. Mengi could definitely go the same way, he did well for Derby when he was on loan there.

Making it at United is of course a very high bar. Predicting who will do that is a difficult game as posters above have stated. There is a tendency to see promise in a player early on and think they might make it, but that is part of the excitement of kids coming through.
I totally agree with your analysis of Ethan Laird, and 2/3 years ago I would have marked him down to be a cert to make it at United, but hamstring injuries have certainly held him back.
Perhaps ETH has seen a RB in the academy who he thinks will get into the first team set up before Laird, I don't know, but I'm quite convinced that the fact that Mainoo has come through has led to the selling of Iqbal, who I thought looked an excellent player.
I still think Mengi could develop into a Manchester United player, but a solid season long loan with a good club, and pretty injury free could see him make that jump.
I certainly look forward to academy lads (and girls in the ladies set up) getting into the first team squad, and getting the opportunities to play fairly regularly.

KevinJoh

Mengi had good loan with Birmingham as well, but injury again.

And for Laird, he proved himself as very good Championship RB at the age of 21 so there is definitely path for him to get to PL team in the next few years. I would be surprised if he does not do that in the next 3 years if he stays fit. I guess it is similar for Mengi if he continue like he did with Derby and Birmingham while staying fir for the whole season or two.

khoazany

What a weird post about Laird and Mengi above. Both of them were hampered by injuries at key ages of development. Caf posters aren't God to be able to predict that.

It's definitely a theme though that most (if not all) of our highest rated academy defender prospects are always getting injured too much to be able to progress. For the younger batches same thing happened with Kwambala and Fredricson also missed at least 1.5 out of last 3 seasons. Not a coincidence that we don't have any first team defenders from the academy at the moment (I don't count Williams).

Pericles

We should probably sell him. He is 21 and still only getting bids from 2nd division sides in France. He needs to forge a future for himself and loans all over the place won’t help him.

KevinJoh

Luton would be good for him. They will get relegated but he will get a chance and probably be the first choice next year in Championship with PL experience behind. Obviously for some reason TH had a problem with him as he did not go to preseason with first team, so there is no future for him with United. He was not injured at the time as he played with U21 full games after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.