Teden Mengi | signs for Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew84!

I think when he gets his chance he'll be quite good, Ole seems to know which ones will make an impact, could save us millions, probably already better than jones

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Anyone who closely follows the U23's can say anything about him? Only watched clips of him, but he looks truly exceptional in them and looks to have a pretty unique skillset for a CB
I wouldn't call his skill set unique but it's a very respectable one for a modern CB. He excels in a lot of areas you'd want in a CB, he wins most of his duels, he's a very good reader of the game so makes a lot of interceptions. It's worth noting he's very aggressive with his pressing and tackling. He shows good composure and technique in possession. He's also very athletic, incredibly strong and quick for his age. When he's having a good game he absolutely dominates the opposing attackers, the phrase "men against boys" springs to mind.

Cornish

Seen he's being linked with a loan to Plymouth Argyle. Would imagine 4 months at a league 1 club would do him good?

Bosnichatemytaibi

Supports
Utd!
Seen he's being linked with a loan to Plymouth Argyle. Would imagine 4 months at a league 1 club would do him good?
His recent performances wouldnt interest too many Championship clubs. Let him get some senior football under his belt. If he excells at League 1 he will be in pole position for a season long loan in the Championship next year, if he dosnt he will not make it here. High hopes for him still.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gone on loan to Derby. Will be a tough one with them fighting relegation. Will need to back up from his performances so far this season or he’ll spend his time there on the bench, unfortunately like so many of our loans.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Gone on loan to Derby. Will be a tough one with them fighting relegation. Will need to back up from his performances so far this season or he’ll spend his time there on the bench, unfortunately like so many of our loans.
Sounds a lot better than Plymouth Argyle though. If we have high hopes for him - which we seem to have - then we'd hardly have sent him out without some assurances. The Garner situation was hard to foresee given the chaotic nature of Watford as a business.

Hopefully he'll grab this with both hands.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Sounds a lot better than Plymouth Argyle though. If we have high hopes for him - which we seem to have - then we'd hardly have sent him out without some assurances. The Garner situation was hard to foresee given the chaotic nature of Watford as a business.

Hopefully he'll grab this with both hands.
Sounds a lot better if he actually plays, which most of the time with these “a lot better” loans our players don’t. Bundesliga loan was “a lot better” and supposedly the greatest thing ever according to people on here yet Chong didn’t play.

If we can get assurances then surely we’d always get assurances. Why have player after player gone on loan and not played then? What have these assurances achieved?

The Garner situation was incredibly easy to foresee given the chaotic nature of Watford. There are several posts on here from several posters foreseeing it in the summer. A club who fires their manager every single season, firing their manager again this season is about the easiest thing possible to foresee. Perhaps we should just stop sending players to clubs with chaotic natures.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sounds a lot better if he actually plays, which most of the time with these “a lot better” loans our players don’t. Bundesliga loan was “a lot better” and supposedly the greatest thing ever according to people on here yet Chong didn’t play.

If we can get assurances then surely we’d always get assurances. Why have player after player gone on loan and not played then? What have these assurances achieved?

The Garner situation was incredibly easy to foresee given the chaotic nature of Watford. There are several posts on here from several posters foreseeing it in the summer. A club who fires their manager every single season, firing their manager again this season is about the easiest thing possible to foresee. Perhaps we should just stop sending players to clubs with chaotic natures.
OK, fair enough. I'm not hugely invested in Chong, or Lingard, or anyone else who I ultimately don't think is good enough (or will be good enough). With Garner I was pissed off (but yes, some people did foresee it and it's a shame he didn't go to Swansea as was rumoured last summer).

I think historically when United people have taken United players on loan at their clubs players have played. Sunderland was a good example of that.

I expect Rooney to actually play him. We'll see.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good luck to him. Hope he's ready for the step up but let's see. Either way he's young for a centre half, got time on his side.

Mickson

Unexpected. Mengi has been - and now I'm being kind - underwhelming this season. And now a loan to a Championship club as an 18-year-old CB? Wow. Clearly, Rooney has something in mind here (feels weird saying that!) though, and if he gets to play - brilliant.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Unexpected. Mengi has been - and now I'm being kind - underwhelming this season. And now a loan to a Championship club as an 18-year-old CB? Wow. Clearly, Rooney has something in mind here (feels weird saying that!) though, and if he gets to play - brilliant.
No kidding. Hopefully the rough and tumble nature of Championship the gives him a wake up call and jolts him back to life. He's got an abundance of talent but for whatever reason he's looked well off the pace this year. I still rate him highly so with a bit of luck this loan spell goes well but it seems like a huge gamble.

Mickson

No kidding. Hopefully the rough and tumble nature of Championship the gives him a wake up call and jolts him back to life. He's got an abundance of talent but for whatever reason he's looked well off the pace this year. I still rate him highly so with a bit of luck this loan spell goes well but it seems like a huge gamble.
Yeah, maybe he just has grown out of U23 football and needs a new challenge. I'm reading Derby forums now and they seem to think that he will be cover for RB and CB rather than a starter. We'll see. It will be exciting to follow this one either way, he has plenty of potential and if he is a success at 18 in The Championship, then it bodes well for the future!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Having Rooney as their manager benefits us here like Lampard when he was at derby with both tomori and Mount, hope it works out for both Mengi and Derby Country/Rooney for this loan move. Good luck.

In Rainbows

Having Rooney as their manager benefits us here like Lampard when he was at derby with both tomori and Mount, hope it works out for both Mengi and Derby Country/Rooney for this loan move. Good luck.
He should have gone for Mejbri. Mengi hasn't been in good form this season so maybe Rooney's decision making is operating on Mengi's reputation rather than performances. Maybe the loan helps Mengi focus as it would be a more important role than playing in u23 matches.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He should have gone for Mejbri. Mengi hasn't been in good form this season so maybe Rooney's decision making is operating on Mengi's reputation rather than performances. Maybe the loan helps Mengi focus as it would be a more important role than playing in u23 matches.
I think majority championship teams will only loan players that have senior first team experiences and also training with the team. Mejbri hasn’t got that.

Mengi is still raw though since he only had few minutes cameo in one europa league and friendly vs Aston Villa but he had trained with first team squad so he’s more ready than Mejbri in both comparison.

Honestly, none are ready in that U21 squad. Garner, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Williams are the only ones but some have gone on loan while some was gone permanently while the other two are in first team squad. Mengi, Laird and Levitt are the next ones while the rest are still too early for this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think the club would loan Mejbri out at this stage. Solskjaer has already said there's a couple of players he feels are close to making the step up and he's prepared to give those players a chance.

Mengi was given a chance with the first team but it seems the coaching staff decided he wasn't ready hence he came back down to u23 level pretty quickly. I think they will do the same with a few others and then decide if they believe the player(s) are ready to stay or go back down to u23 level.

Mickson

I don't think the club would loan Mejbri out at this stage. Solskjaer has already said there's a couple of players he feels are close to making the step up and he's prepared to give those players a chance.

Mengi was given a chance with the first team but it seems the coaching staff decided he wasn't ready hence he came back down to u23 level pretty quickly. I think they will do the same with a few others and then decide if they believe the player(s) are ready to stay or go back down to u23 level.
No way he will play any youth players this season, it's just talk. It's different times now. If he don't even play Mengi against Luton Town he wont put in Hannibal Mejbri against West Ham.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No way he will play any youth players this season, it's just talk. It's different times now. If he don't even play Mengi against Luton Town he wont put in Hannibal Mejbri against West Ham.
I don't know if he will play him against West Ham, but from what he said, it wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of players debut before the season is out. I can see us getting to a stage where we could secure top 4 with games to spare and have nothing to play for.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I suspect he will play fullback rather than the heart of the defence

Cornish

Big thing about youngsters going out on loan is playing time. Surely it's better to go to a lower team and play consistently rather than go to a team who play in a higher division but not play. If you do well at a lower league club, you earn a loan at a club in a higher division next season.
I do wonder if Argyle would've been a better option (Who knows even if this was in the pipeline but they signed a centre back from Palace yesterday so they were definitely in the market for one) where he would've been all but guaranteed a game week in, week out instead of going to Derby where he could be on the bench most weeks.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Big thing about youngsters going out on loan is playing time. Surely it's better to go to a lower team and play consistently rather than go to a team who play in a higher division but not play. If you do well at a lower league club, you earn a loan at a club in a higher division next season.
I do wonder if Argyle would've been a better option (Who knows even if this was in the pipeline but they signed a centre back from Palace yesterday so they were definitely in the market for one) where he would've been all but guaranteed a game week in, week out instead of going to Derby where he could be on the bench most weeks.
Yeah I tend to agree. Mengi is young though, hopefully this is a bit of a free hit because even if he flops he's still young enough to go to League One for 6 months or a year again next year and try to stake his claim for either a Championship loan or some first team games with us. Even a few Championship appearances this year will do him good as long as he doesn't get completely torn a new one. IMO he's got Prem talent for sure and hopefully the move kicks him into gear again and he can develop into what Derby need but it's not necessarily the end of the world if he doesn't.

GueRed

Good luck to the kid. I hope he gets some valuable minutes under his belt at Derby, learns and does himself proud.

A good move for all parties..

romufc

I think we are looking at playing time alot more in our loans this season. The players who went on loan at the start have all been called back, diverting to another club due to lack of playing time.

I am sure the club have let him go to Derby because they have spoken to Rooney, he knows game time is important too.

Hopefully he is a regular in the team.

Red_toad

Lads been struggling with form this season. Getting playing time at an even higher level could be pretty disastrous for his development. We shall see and I wish him well, looked nailed on less than a year ago, but really fell off a cliff this season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I was speaking to my Derby supporting mates who said they think he will play. They are operating with a back 3 most of the time and are really in need of a pace injection. In which case Mengi would will be perfect for that, he can use his pace and also play alongside more experienced CB partners to help his game management. Hopefully, it works out for both parties.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I was speaking to my Derby supporting mates who said they think he will play. They are operating with a back 3 most of the time and are really in need of a pace injection. In which case Mengi would will be perfect for that, he can use his pace and also play alongside more experienced CB partners to help his game management. Hopefully, it works out for both parties.
Ah back 3, while it´s good for the lad to get as many minutes as possible.I´d prefer he played in a 4-men defense. Fingers crossed though. We should send more players to Rooney/former players now managers. Not that they can guarantee their place but at least we know what theyre thinking about the player.

bsCallout

My hope is that this is the motivation he needs to kick on. It's not just a case of trying to prove yourself in the U23s to make the first team squad(then dropping down again), he gets the chance to really prove his worth and not only will United be watching, so will other teams.

Great move for him, if he is good enough.

Prodigal7

This move could be the making of him or it could sink his prospects at the club. There will only be a year left on his contract when this loan finishes.
Hopefully Rooney plays him regularly and he excels. His defensive instincts in terms of positioning and closing down threats is phenomenal and it's something we've lacked throughout the club for a long time IMO. He might even end up as a defensive midfielder if his lack of height proves to be an issue, I know he played in that position in the younger age groups.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This move could be the making of him or it could sink his prospects at the club. There will only be a year left on his contract when this loan finishes.
Hopefully Rooney plays him regularly and he excels. His defensive instincts in terms of positioning and closing down threats is phenomenal and it's something we've lacked throughout the club for a long time IMO. He might even end up as a defensive midfielder if his lack of height proves to be an issue, I know he played in that position in the younger age groups.
1.83m isn't small.He's over 6 feet

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought he was just under 6ft. Fair enough, thought that's still far below average for height for a PL centre back.
Possibly but there are rumours about us bidding for Kounde and he's supposed to be 1.78!

Mickson

Would love to watch this but doesn't seem to be a river available and it's not on the channels that I have either. Hopefully, he'll take his chance, great opportunity!

AllAtSea

Really struggled tonight, didnt help being in an unfamiliar position I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.