Teden Mengi | signs for Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
17 year old Teden Mengi made his u23 debut earlier in a 4-0 win away from home against Newcastle.

I feel he deserves his own thread now chaps and highlights of the young CB against Newcastle are below..

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I like how he doesn't shy away from the ball aerially. Was really impressed with him at the U15 Super Cup

PannaPanda

Wow 17 and he's already a beast at under 23s. Admittedly tier 2 of the under 23s, but impressive none the less. Hopefully see a lot more of him at this level.

Mickson

I thought he was pretty shit last season alongside Bernard. Was good against Newcastle though and the jury is definitely still out.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
More than a touch of Fosu Mensah about him in that video. Let's hope he can learn the positional and mental side of being a top CB as if so he'll have a very good career.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s impressed me all season, been dominant.

lysglimt

Scout
His performance yesterday was majestic. He is a beast. I am so used to seeing him at U23-level, so when he plays against players his own age - he simply looks too good!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Has been fantastic all season and is gaining more and more confidence each game it seems.

Brings the ball out from defence really well, passing out from the back also improving and has recovery pace and physicality in abundance along with a ever improving aerial game.

TwoSheds

So when's he going to play his first first team game then? Any chance of an appearance this year to reward his terrific progress?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How does he compare to Tuanzebe?
Mengi is a more rounded CB imo. Mengi also looks noticeably better in aerial duels in comparison. Axel was probably slightly better on the ball at the same age but Mengi is improving fast in that regard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So when's he going to play his first first team game then? Any chance of an appearance this year to reward his terrific progress?
Maybe be next season cup games. If we have dead rubbers in league like in 2016-17 then maybe this season.

Can’t wait to watch him play for first team. He has such arrogance in the play in a good way. Always looks in control of the situation.

TwoSheds

Maybe be next season cup games. If we have dead rubbers in league like in 2016-17 then maybe this season.

Can’t wait to watch him play for first team. He has such arrogance in the play in a good way. Always looks in control of the situation.
Most importantly *touches all the wood* he doesn't appear particularly injury prone unlike almost every other good defender who's come through for us recently. I think it's the area of the pitch where you need the most consistency of games or you're not likely to make it at the top level. Laird and Tuanzebe for example definitely have enough talent for first team level but I think the jury is out on their fitness.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Most importantly *touches all the wood* he doesn't appear particularly injury prone unlike almost every other good defender who's come through for us recently. I think it's the area of the pitch where you need the most consistency of games or you're not likely to make it at the top level. Laird and Tuanzebe for example definitely have enough talent for first team level but I think the jury is out on their fitness.
Yeah, that's the disappointing part, our young defenders have fitness issues with frequent injuries. Hopefully this won't be the case with Mengi.

Btw we have Evans, Keane, Cathcart, Chester, Tuanzebe who are PL CBs and all are from our academy in last 10-12 years. Then we have players like Bardsley, Simpson who are PL RBs.

Wonder if any club have produced so many PL defenders.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yeah, that's the disappointing part, our young defenders have fitness issues with frequent injuries. Hopefully this won't be the case with Mengi.

Btw we have Evans, Keane, Cathcart, Chester, Tuanzebe who are PL CBs and all are from our academy in last 10-12 years. Then we have players like Bardsley, Simpson who are PL RBs.

Wonder if any club have produced so many PL defenders.
Nobody comes close.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Maybe should put some effort and create a thread on this. Created one very long back and at that time we have more than 30 players in PL.
I know they are in the Championship now but there's defenders like Shawcross and McNair that have also played in the Premier League - should maybe include the Championship as well as there are loads of others like Pearson and W.Keane

dutchred

Mengi, Mejbri and Devine will save us a fortune in the next few years

lysglimt

Scout
How does he compare to Tuanzebe?
Certainly not behind him from what he has shown lately. Physically superior but Tuanzebe perhaps is a bit more elegant on the ball. But these 2 could compete for one spot in the years to come

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Another fantastic performance from Mengi yesterday against Wigan in the FA Youth Cup.

pascell

Looked brilliant again last night, I think we'll be seeing him on the pre season tour and hopefully the odd cup game next season.

His composure when defending in a 1 on 1 situation is what impressed me the most last night and his passing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Certainly not behind him from what he has shown lately. Physically superior but Tuanzebe perhaps is a bit more elegant on the ball. But these 2 could compete for one spot in the years to come
Doesn’t appear to be as injury prone either. Feel bad for Axel, hopefully he can get over these issues

Status
Not open for further replies.