Teden Mengi | signs for Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJoh

It is pretty hard to decide with loans in such a young age. Should be considered that he is a kid, he is going to school, he needs family around, and at 17 or 18, going on loan to another town it can be tough. Not sure if that is good, to give him more problems to solve (living on his own) while trying to become better player, getting to know new teammates, etc..
So, even he is physical ready, I am not sure loan is good for him at this stage. Maybe, one more year with U23, while training with first team and getting game or two in League Cup would be better.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Saw this video yesterday and I have to say I am more excited about him than anyone else in the academy ( bar Mjebri). Looks like the real deal. Has everything, pace, composure and the ability on the ball. Looks the modern CB we have been craving for years now. I just hope he doesn't go Tyrell Warren way.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Saw this video yesterday and I have to say I am more excited about him than anyone else in the academy ( bar Mjebri). Looks like the real deal. Has everything, pace, composure and the ability on the ball. Looks the modern CB we have been craving for years now. I just hope he doesn't go Tyrell Warren way.
What he really needs is to steer clear of injuries. We can't afford to be bringing through any more injury prone defenders for a while, no matter how talented. We've still got Bailly, Jones and possibly Rojo and Tuanzebe in the first team who fall into that category, which is at least 2 too many.

khoazany

What he really needs is to steer clear of injuries. We can't afford to be bringing through any more injury prone defenders for a while, no matter how talented. We've still got Bailly, Jones and possibly Rojo and Tuanzebe in the first team who fall into that category, which is at least 2 too many.
Teden has hardly been injured much since I know him. Fish had more injuries.

TwoSheds

Teden has hardly been injured much since I know him. Fish had more injuries.
Which is good! As long as it stays that way he ought to have a great chance of making it here.

khoazany

I have high hopes. Needs him, Axel, Brandon, Ethan to become the homegrown defenders breaking through. We haven't had those for quite a while (that manages to keep their spots) after Evans.

Scholsey2004

If he grew 3 inches I could get on board. Hes young though so that could yet happen.

TwoSheds

1m 83, he may we’ll grow a bit but boys tend to peak at 16
Pretty sure most lads stop growing in height around 21. :confused:

Admittedly it's probably pretty slow post 16 for most people but it definitely happens.

Utdstar01

Unless you think all these players grew 4-5 inches at 18 or later then McTominay clearly wasn’t 5’6 in this picture where he is still 17.
Scott himself talked about his late growth spurt, saying in 2016: "It was around 18 months ago [age 17] I was 5ft 6ins and, to go from that to the height I am now, 6ft 2ins or 6ft 3ins, it takes a little bit of time to get used to it."

That was on the United site. I'm just going off of what i've read.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Pretty sure most lads stop growing in height around 21. :confused:

Admittedly it's probably pretty slow post 16 for most people but it definitely happens.
and you'd get way stronger from 16 to 21. plus another few years playing the game. lots of players improve in their early 20s. its impossible to have a one size fits all solution to youth footballers. its so hard to tell who is still going to be good next season let alone really make it. Chong looked nailed on for a while but hasn't done anything of note in the first team, he still has time on his side but if he doesn't have the hunger hes already got the big deal now and can rest on his laurels for a few years. i sincerely hope that doesnt happen but look at wilson adnan and powell after they got the big contract. theres still a very long way to go for all of them.

Teja

Man those videos remind me of how nice it would be to have an aerially dominant CB in defence. Lindelof lets a lot of those balls drop and tries to cover the runner / out muscle the runner and force the ball out of play. This results in the opposition moving relatively high up the pitch with a simple direct ball.

criticalanalysis

Man those videos remind me of how nice it would be to have an aerially dominant CB in defence. Lindelof lets a lot of those balls drop and tries to cover the runner / out muscle the runner and force the ball out of play. This results in the opposition moving relatively high up the pitch with a simple direct ball.
Lindelof plays like he knew about Covid-19 before it existed. He's been social distancing from every attacker since he got here.

ovoxo

I hope he has a breakthrough season. I’d love either him or Axel next to Maguire. If one of them does break through into the side it’ll save us having to sign a Centre back next summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope he has a breakthrough season. I’d love either him or Axel next to Maguire. If one of them does break through into the side it’ll save us having to sign a Centre back next summer.
Personally I'd still want us to sign a CB regardless..

SAFMUTD

Is he the one replacing Tuanzabe? I mean if he gets first team minutes surely Tuanzabe wont be getting much and will be shipped out?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So hard to blood a young CB in the first team, they nearly always have to get their minutes out of position playing either RB, LB or CM

SAFMUTD

Mengi won't get that much football next year.

Jones will be moved on before Axel.
My point was that youngsters get very few chances in CB. I don’t think we’ll have two promising on the team, its hard for one to get minutes yet alone two.

Now regarding Jones, him and Rojo are practically out of the team, even if they stay its clear theyre not in Ole’s plans. But Tuanzabe is behind Bailly in the pecking order.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Was very high up the speed charts that got published yesterday in MEN.

Kostov

I bet he can handle himself better than Lindelof in a physical battle. The kid is a special talent and we should try and give him minutes before the likes of Jones.

Bondi77

I have not seen much of him but I noticed he has just turned 18,
Sounds a bit premature to be talking about first team chances and I would imagine a loan after a season of u23 under his belt.

romufc

I do not think he needs a season in the U23's. I would prefer sending him on loan to the championship or a team like Watford that need a CB.

He needs to play 30 league games next season. A young CB will never be ready unless they play regular football.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I do not think he needs a season in the U23's. I would prefer sending him on loan to the championship or a team like Watford that need a CB.

He needs to play 30 league games next season. A young CB will never be ready unless they play regular football.
I agree. And I think this is why very few top CBs are developed at the best clubs. Most of the best CBs at the end of their 20s have played the majority of minutes between 18 and 25 at lower profil clubs.

romufc

I agree. And I think this is why very few top CBs are developed at the best clubs. Most of the best CBs at the end of their 20s have played the majority of minutes between 18 and 25 at lower profil clubs.
That's right, it is such a risk to play a CB with limited experience for Manutd where you don't really learn how to defend. Michael Keane, Shawcross are prime examples where you need to go to a low profile club where you have to defend week in week out, at United there will be games where you don't defend.

That's when you need concentration, composure etc and you get 3 defensive situations for example which you cannot make a mistake on, compared to a Watford where you have 12 defensive situations and can make 1/2 mistakes and get away with it because there are more players back.

Status
Not open for further replies.