Teden Mengi | signs for Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've only seen a little of Mengi but from what I've seen I can't see that comparison with Stam.

Mengi is quick to cover ground and from what I've seen he has the eye for a pass of the modern CB, or can take the ball forward a bit. From what I have seen I think hes a similar type of CB to Tuanzabe an atheltic, quick with decent strength player who can get involved with play and not an out and out defender and rock at the back.
When you see more of him then we shall speak.

KevinJoh

Well honestly, I am not sure what would be notable from a kid, but I would say he was pretty solid in all (or almost all) senior games he played. It is not 5 years, this is his 3rd senior season. He played good, and usually out of position in his first senior outings with Jose. All games he played he was playing as RB or DM, and did OK although completely out of preferred position. He also had brief loan in the Championship in the club that signed him on season long loan after that (so obviously he did OK in those few games). In his second season he was regular in Championship side fighting for and earning promotion. The games he did not play he was injured. They wanted to sign him for PL season, so it speaks enough. In his third season, and the first one with us as a full part of the squad, he was good in all matches he played, and only injury stopped him of being first team player or at least first sub in the position. I would not say that is bad, I would say it is more than notable, especially in position where you need experience. The only problem I can see is his injury record as he had injuries with Villa and with us, so hopefully that will stop soon.
I am not saying Mengi is not talented. Hopefully he is on the same level, and if one of them make it, it will be great for us. If both, it will be as winning the lottery. Still, Mengi needs a loan similar to the one Axel had. Maybe not this year, maybe this year he should be around first team, training with them and having a game or two in League Cup or FA Cup, and than getting loan in January, or summer. I guess Butt and Ole know what they are doing, and will do the best for the kid.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well honestly, I am not sure what would be notable from a kid, but I would say he was pretty solid in all (or almost all) senior games he played. It is not 5 years, this is his 3rd senior season. He played good, and usually out of position in his first senior outings with Jose. All games he played he was playing as RB or DM, and did OK although completely out of preferred position. He also had brief loan in the Championship in the club that signed him on season long loan after that (so obviously he did OK in those few games). In his second season he was regular in Championship side fighting for and earning promotion. The games he did not play he was injured. They wanted to sign him for PL season, so it speaks enough. In his third season, and the first one with us as a full part of the squad, he was good in all matches he played, and only injury stopped him of being first team player or at least first sub in the position. I would not say that is bad, I would say it is more than notable, especially in position where you need experience. The only problem I can see is his injury record as he had injuries with Villa and with us, so hopefully that will stop soon.
I am not saying Mengi is not talented. Hopefully he is on the same level, and if one of them make it, it will be great for us. If both, it will be as winning the lottery. Still, Mengi needs a loan similar to the one Axel had. Maybe not this year, maybe this year he should be around first team, training with them and having a game or two in League Cup or FA Cup, and than getting loan in January, or summer. I guess Butt and Ole know what they are doing, and will do the best for the kid.
Axel has been a senior pro since Mourinho’s first season. And I agreed, he was very impressive to me at right back and DM. In 2017. Since then, he’s been okay but nothing special to me. Both at Villa and at United. I don’t agree he was good in all his matches this season either. He was shaky in the Europa League, and threw away two costly points against Arsenal.

I’m not saying he’s done or anything. But I am questioning whether all this hope that is being placed in him is on the strength of actual performances, or just the fact that he’s there. I’m not sure it is based on people having watched any number of impressive centre half performances. The last time I think he put in performances at centre half where people looked at him and said, based on these performances - ‘this is a future United centre half’ was in the academy. He’s 22 now, and he’s been playing senior football since 18. Of course, he’s had injuries, but the reason isn’t that relevant to my point. I’m just questioning what he has shown.

KevinJoh

Well, he was around first team similar like Garner today for example, but hardly really part of the team. At least not until the last few weeks when he got a few chances both at RB (against Arsenal when he was very good) and DM. I am talking about his first season with Mourinho. In his second, he did not play at all, until he left to Villa in January and got injured, playing just a few games again more as RB. His 3rd season was season long loan to Villa, when he was integral part of the team (when not injured), getting promotion. He was very good, especially for his first full, 90 minutes per game, senior season. He showed lot of potential, had a few MOTM performances and again he had injury. So, this first season under Ole and his 4th, is his first in Man Utd when he is real option. And I agree with you, he did not show much this year, but he did not play much, again cause of injuries. He was pretty good in preseason, he was OK in all games he played, but not like world class if you expected something like that. I would not agree that he cost us points against Arsenal, he was pretty good in that game. Mistake for goal is just partly his, but Lindelof was slow and positioned wrong, while Maguire also too slow and put Axel on the pressure. But, certainly that was mistake, and he will made a lot of more in the future. In EL I think he was more than OK.

But, this is not thread for Axel, so maybe we are out of order here. Regarding Mengi, I think he is good, but lets see how he will make it on loan (if he goes) against men. In U23 and U18 he is dominant, but that is big step. Lets hope he will make it like Axel to become an option, and that he won't have injury problems, so can develop faster.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well, he was around first team similar like Garner today for example, but hardly really part of the team. At least not until the last few weeks when he got a few chances both at RB (against Arsenal when he was very good) and DM. I am talking about his first season with Mourinho. In his second, he did not play at all, until he left to Villa in January and got injured, playing just a few games again more as RB. His 3rd season was season long loan to Villa, when he was integral part of the team (when not injured), getting promotion. He was very good, especially for his first full, 90 minutes per game, senior season. He showed lot of potential, had a few MOTM performances and again he had injury. So, this first season under Ole and his 4th, is his first in Man Utd when he is real option. And I agree with you, he did not show much this year, but he did not play much, again cause of injuries. He was pretty good in preseason, he was OK in all games he played, but not like world class if you expected something like that. I would not agree that he cost us points against Arsenal, he was pretty good in that game. Mistake for goal is just partly his, but Lindelof was slow and positioned wrong, while Maguire also too slow and put Axel on the pressure. But, certainly that was mistake, and he will made a lot of more in the future. In EL I think he was more than OK.

But, this is not thread for Axel, so maybe we are out of order here. Regarding Mengi, I think he is good, but lets see how he will make it on loan (if he goes) against men. In U23 and U18 he is dominant, but that is big step. Lets hope he will make it like Axel to become an option, and that he won't have injury problems, so can develop faster.
Do you know how to use the reply function mate?! :D

Mark Pawelek

Oh boy is this going to be a post to come back to when it turns out he isnt perfect :rolleyes:
4th fastest player at United?

In measurements taken of the squad's individual workouts during football's shutdown, Mengi is said to have clocked the fourth-fastest running speed of the entire club.
Only Jesse Lingard, Axel Tuanzebe and first-placed Daniel James clocked a quicker pace than the teenager in this top-speed test.

It may be The Sun, but why would they make that up?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

In measurements taken of the squad's individual workouts during football's shutdown, Mengi is said to have clocked the fourth-fastest running speed of the entire club.
Only Jesse Lingard, Axel Tuanzebe and first-placed Daniel James clocked a quicker pace than the teenager in this top-speed test.

Not sure how accurate the reports are because they were all taken by people training at home.

Fred actually has clocked a faster top end speed than anybody in the first team so far, which I found hard to believe!

Mengi is clearly very athletic though, pace is something we don't need to worry about with him.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

It makes me doubt the credibility or importance of top speed when I see Lingards name in the top 3. I don't see him as a particularly quick player at all. If he is he certainly doesn't use it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Lingard likely does have good top speed but top speed isn't important in football. What's important is explosive first few yards which Mengi looks to have and Lingard doesn't imo.

Ekeke

That has nothing to do with you claiming Mengi doesnt make mistakes :rolleyes: He's going to make mistakes like every footballer

romufc

Faster you are, less likely people will notice your mistakes.
Not really, speed is not going to save you mis placing a pass, wrong positioning.

He is very young, he needs to play mens football before you can claim he makes no mistakes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Please do tell. I'd like to know the mistakes Mengi made which led to an opposition goal. Because those are the mistakes fans remember.
Oh so now its he doesn't make any which has lead to a goal.... right.
I don't remember any of those off the top of my head.

Mark Pawelek

Oh so now its he doesn't make any which has lead to a goal.... right.
I don't remember any of those off the top of my head.
Like I said those are the mistakes we remember. I'll go further: if we can't remember these mistakes, they can't have been very serious. At which point this discussion becomes a bit academic and point scoring. I'll concede:
Every player makes mistakes. I can't remember Mengi making any serious mistakes. That's all that matters to me.​

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Axel has been a senior pro since Mourinho’s first season. And I agreed, he was very impressive to me at right back and DM. In 2017. Since then, he’s been okay but nothing special to me. Both at Villa and at United. I don’t agree he was good in all his matches this season either. He was shaky in the Europa League, and threw away two costly points against Arsenal.

I’m not saying he’s done or anything. But I am questioning whether all this hope that is being placed in him is on the strength of actual performances, or just the fact that he’s there. I’m not sure it is based on people having watched any number of impressive centre half performances. The last time I think he put in performances at centre half where people looked at him and said, based on these performances - ‘this is a future United centre half’ was in the academy. He’s 22 now, and he’s been playing senior football since 18. Of course, he’s had injuries, but the reason isn’t that relevant to my point. I’m just questioning what he has shown.
Axel showed plenty in his loan spell at Villa. Heavily contributed to their promotion push. That is the very reason he wasn't sent on loan again. Injury has just stalled his progress big time

wolvored

It makes me doubt the credibility or importance of top speed when I see Lingards name in the top 3. I don't see him as a particularly quick player at all. If he is he certainly doesn't use it.
Thats all he does runs around like an headless chicken

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Axel showed plenty in his loan spell at Villa. Heavily contributed to their promotion push. That is the very reason he wasn't sent on loan again. Injury has just stalled his progress big time
He was a part of the team, but not a player everyone was talking about. There was nothing to suggest he was too good for the level/team and he was a United player to me. Look at Ben White and the reviews of his season on loan at Leeds.

He was a part of the team, but not a player everyone was talking about.....
I don't see why that should matter. Tuanzebe did well enough for Villa as they earned promotion for them to desire to actually sign him. It not like United need him to walk into the team. We needed him here to prove himself in the first team squad and strictly injury has prevented that from happening. It can't be said he has looked out of his depth the few times he has featured. You are being way too harsh on him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't see why that should matter. Tuanzebe did well enough for Villa as they earned promotion for them to desire to actually sign him. It not like United need him to walk into the team. We needed him here to prove himself in the first team squad and strictly injury has prevented that from happening. It can't be said he has looked out of his depth the few times he has featured. You are being way too harsh on him
I think you’re being way too generous personally. The bar to play for United is high. ‘Doing nothing wrong’ should get you sold, to me. I don’t think Axel has been bad, either for us or for Villa. I just think he’s done nothing to justify why he’s in Manchester United’s squad and not Aston Villa’s, or Crystal Palace or whatever. That isn’t my view of Mason Greenwood, for example. I just think Tuanzebe should not be treated the same way as Mason, like some sort of sure thing, ‘just needs some more games and he’ll be a United regular’ sort of player. If he left this summer, it would be no loss for us. If he left last summer, it would have been no loss for us. That’s how I see it anyway.

I don’t dislike the kid personally, but he looks nothing special to me, that’s all. Other than him being Axel Tuanzebe, former youth team player, can’t see what else is justifying the excitement many seem to have in him, or why he has justified being in the United squad. Last time I can trace back to when he justified being a United player was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Tony247

He has got pace, good distribution, can be a good partner for HM.

Is he good in the air?

I think you’re being way too generous personally. The bar to play for United is high. ‘Doing nothing wrong’ should get you sold, to me. I don’t think Axel has been bad, either for us or for Villa. I just think he’s done nothing to justify why he’s in Manchester United’s squad and not Aston Villa’s, or Crystal Palace or whatever. That isn’t my view of Mason Greenwood, for example. I just think Tuanzebe should not be treated the same way as Mason, like some sort of sure thing, ‘just needs some more games and he’ll be a United regular’ sort of player. If he left this summer, it would be no loss for us. If he left last summer, it would have been no loss for us. That’s how I see it anyway.

I don’t dislike the kid personally, but he looks nothing special to me, that’s all. Other than him being Axel Tuanzebe, former youth team player, can’t see what else is justifying the excitement many seem to have in him, or why he has justified being in the United squad. Last time I can trace back to when he justified being a United player was about 3 or 4 years ago.
It not about his 'done ' nothing wrong' or being overly generous. He has hardly played and of the few times he played he has been poor once. It makes no sense to be uber eager for us to bin a player who hasn't even had the slightest chance to prove himself. If we could give the likes of Lindeloff time and now he is seen as a starter by the manager. Why not Axel? My stance is simply let him sink first before you question why he swims in the United player pool.. that's all am saying. Because in my book we have people like Jones who are the ones who have proven they shouldn't be swimming in the United player pool any more, still clogging up space

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It not about his 'done ' nothing wrong' or being overly generous. He has hardly played and of the few times he played he has been poor once. It makes no sense to be uber eager for us to bin a player who hasn't even had the slightest chance to prove himself. If we could give the likes of Lindeloff time and now he is seen as a starter by the manager. Why not Axel? My stance is simply let him sink first before you question why he swims in the United player pool.. that's all am saying. Because in my book we have people like Jones who are the ones who have proven they shouldn't be swimming in the United player pool any more, still clogging up space
Top post

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is he any good or another Blackett, McNair, Fosu-Mensah who we gas up and end up doing nothing?
He's very good for his age group and better than Blackett and McNair imo.

And it was interesting to read a post from Ajax fan @Ajaxsuarez on Fosu Mensah and he believes if he had stayed at Ajax he'd be considered among the best young CB talents right now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

And it was interesting to read a post from Ajax fan @Ajaxsuarez on Fosu Mensah and he believes if he had stayed at Ajax he'd be considered among the best young CB talents right now.
I don't know if it's just me but I've always found CBs at youth level the hardest to judge their ability. Generally the good ones will steam roll basically any attacker, which is what Mengi's done this season but I find their transition to first team football to be among the hardest, alongside CMs.

Mengi's very talented and as cliché as it is, we really won't have any idea how good he's going to be until we start giving him minutes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't know if it's just me but I've always found CBs at youth level the hardest to judge their ability. Generally the good ones will steam roll basically any attacker, which is what Mengi's done this season but I find their transition to first team football to be among the hardest, alongside CMs.

Mengi's very talented and as cliché as it is, we really won't have any idea how good he's going to be until we start giving him minutes.
Completely agree I feel the same. We need to see Mengi at first team level before making a judgement.

Alemar

Isn’t it about time to give Mengi his debut? If we win comfortably against Bournemouth, by 3 or 4 goals, why not to give Mengi 10-15 minutes?

NYAS

TFM was a master tackler around his breakthrough into the first team. We didn’t manage him well. We tried to turn him into a right back and it went downhill from there. Lad’s got defensive talent (even if it’s at DM) but he’s probably missed too much development time by now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
TFM was a master tackler around his breakthrough into the first team. We didn’t manage him well. We tried to turn him into a right back and it went downhill from there. Lad’s got defensive talent (even if it’s at DM) but he’s probably missed too much development time by now.
Went on loan to Palace due to fellow Dutchman De Boer being the manager. De Boer got sacked but TFM still did well until Palace played United and TFM was inelligible which opened the door for AWB who put in a very good defensive performance and that ended his loan at Palace.

He was actually doing fine on loan at Palace and even did a fine job against Leroy Sane in one game. It was at Fulham where it went wrong and I feel some people have been too quick to write him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.