Teden Mengi | signs for Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Assuming it means Future United Captain and Future England Captain respectively.
That's the one, remember reading about Michael Atherton the former England cricket Captain whilst still at Cambridge University being called a FEC in one of the broadsheets, not knowing what it meant and thinking that it was the beginning of the end for Sports journalism in England, you expect that in The Sun but ....

Tony247

His tackles, distribution and ball control is good. We can even turn him into a very good DM.

RedDevilRoshi

I’ve hardly seen much of this lad but seems to be very highly rated on here. After watching today’s game, it’s highlighted that we definitely need a CB with pace and can distribute well from the back. Someone that can compliment Maguire. Is he capable of stepping up next season and most of all does he possess those above attributes?

Fitchett

That's the one, remember reading about Michael Atherton the former England cricket Captain whilst still at Cambridge University being called a FEC in one of the broadsheets, not knowing what it meant and thinking that it was the beginning of the end for Sports journalism in England, you expect that in The Sun but ....
Apparently his Lancashire team mates used to call him FEC as well, with the E short for "educated" :lol:

Mark Pawelek

I’ve hardly seen much of this lad but seems to be very highly rated on here. After watching today’s game, it’s highlighted that we definitely need a CB with pace and can distribute well from the back. Someone that can compliment Maguire. Is he capable of stepping up next season and most of all does he possess those above attributes?
Doesn't have the distribution of Matic, Linderof or Maguire; but what do you expect at 18? He has pace, determination and concentration. I can't remember him ever losing a 1-on-1 duel.

Smithy89

Absolute baller, it's a shame Axel has his injury problems because next season i think Axel and Mengi could be our 3rd and 4th defenders.

Alemar

About time to get him a thread in senior squad section - he made a debut today, about 10 minutes. No mistakes from the guy.

Okey

Never realised he's Nigerian born. Go on son! Hope he makes it here...

mat85

Most max centre back I can remember since I started watching u18

Scholsey2004

His tackles, distribution and ball control is good. We can even turn him into a very good DM.
Well, we know we need a long term replacement for Matic. I really don't see Garner being that player. He seems more of an 8 to me. Mengi at 6 feet is definitely a bit short for a CB but a good height for DM. If we could develop him into a Rice or Dier type of player who plays DM and can slot in as an extra CB when needed then that would be really useful.

MetoTTT

Well, we know we need a long term replacement for Matic. I really don't see Garner being that player. He seems more of an 8 to me. Mengi at 6 feet is definitely a bit short for a CB but a good height for DM. If we could develop him into a Rice or Dier type of player who plays DM and can slot in as an extra CB when needed then that would be really useful.
Sheasy like. The ultimate utility/squad player.

Scholsey2004

I don't know if it's just me but I've always found CBs at youth level the hardest to judge their ability. Generally the good ones will steam roll basically any attacker, which is what Mengi's done this season but I find their transition to first team football to be among the hardest, alongside CMs.

Mengi's very talented and as cliché as it is, we really won't have any idea how good he's going to be until we start giving him minutes.
It's difficult to judge players from youth football period. You've always got to bear in mind that the players they're up against aren't at all representative of the level of players they'll be up against at senior level. Most will be lower division players or won't even make the grade as professionals. A lot of the time what the coaches are saying about them and how the club are handling them is more important than how they appear to be performing. There appears to be a push to fast track Mengi, like there was with Rashford, McTominay and Williams. That's probably the most significant sign. Obviously the coaches view him as one of the safer bets.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thiago Silva is 6 feet 183cm. Height doesn't matter if you can jump and aim your header.

Red00012

I feel this is will be our new centre back signing . I’m ok with that as long as we can get rid of Smalling and Rojo. Jones is an obvious one but I can’t see him going anywhere

Thiagoal

It’s a bit of a myth that you can only be aerially dominant if you are a giant. I played CB (semi pro) back in the day with a giant partner (I’m dead on 6 foot) Yet it was me that won all the aerial duals. Anticipation, spring, bravery and timing are far more important than size. I think as long as you’re not below average height you can compete!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I feel this is will be our new centre back signing . I’m ok with that as long as we can get rid of Smalling and Rojo. Jones is an obvious one but I can’t see him going anywhere
Agree. I think Tuanzebe will be given a chance pre season (if we have one?), but Mengi will also get a shot. Jones I think will be here for this coming season, for two reasons. 1/- he's currently injured, so no one will want to buy him at the moment. 2/- we may need him for cover if Mengi gets a loan, and hopefully Jones will prove his fitness and get a good transfer next summer.

mattunited1978

doommonger
He's an exceptionally talented Center Back, lets leave him there and find a midfielder to play midfield.

izec

People are obsessed with playing and shoehorning players into different positions. If it doesn't work naturally, there is no point in forcing it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
People are obsessed with playing and shoehorning players into different positions. If it doesn't work naturally, there is no point in forcing it.
I'll leave it to the people who watch and coach him every day to make that decision.

None of us here have watched him enough to make an informed assessment, maybe MrMujac

Mickson

Hate to see it spelt like that...ugh!
I had an English professor at uni, from Ireland. He told us that the British way to spell words is outdated and it makes more sense going with the American Dream ;) center, centre. Well, I'm going with center (easier to remember for us Swedes as well).

Regarding Mengi, no can't really see him excel in midfield. As someone said, just play him in his normal position and buy a fecking midfielder.

NotThatSoph

It's a comment that doesn't necessarily mean an awful lot, except that he's obviously on Solskjær's radar and that he's seen as someone with leadership qualities. I'm going to read a lot into it, though.

I'm always extremely optimistic about the youth teams, but man, this time I'm really optimistic.

Stretender

The comments from Ole today are telling. I will be very surprised if we sign a central defender now.

Ekeke

The comments are positive but as we saw from LVG's time at the club, being positive about putting young players in doesn't mean they will go on to have a career at the top level. This just means Ole has seen something in him, just like LVG did in Blackett, McNair etc But hopefully Ole is better at getting the young players he chooses to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.