Telegraph Football: Man Utd looking to appoint director of football this summer | Appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

I'll believe when I see it, sounds like more lies for Ed to use as cover

E-mal

Ole for DOF, pochettino for manager.
Actually think is going to be Ragnick

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
For me a sensible DoF would mean

we'd stop dishing out ridiculous contracts
we'd stop extending contracts for players we don't even want
we'd act much more decisively in the market and won't be taken for mugs
we'd shift all the deadwood shrewdly

Ensure that players bought fit a long-term criteria, and if/when Ole reaches his ceiling, has plans in place to carry on with a progressive appointment.

We desperately need this to happen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Director of football in
Needs the summer to "weigh up" the squad
No signings made

Genius

Dante

Average bang
We don't need one.

Ole is doing a great job on the recruitment front, and Woodward isn't going to be replaced on the negotiations front.

If Ole ever fails as the manager on the pitch, he'll move formally into the DoF role to continue his work on retaining our football philosophy.

You might be able to criticise Solksjaer's tactical nouse or his coaching ability, but his squad management has been spot on. In the last couple of years, our transfers in, players out and the youth promotion have all been fantastic.

Paul_Scholes18

We don't need one.

Ole is doing a great job on the recruitment front, and Woodward isn't going to be replaced on the negotiations front.

If Ole ever fails as the manager on the pitch, he'll move formally into the DoF role to continue his work on retaining our football philosophy.

You might be able to criticise Solksjaer's tactical nouse or his coaching ability, but his squad management has been spot on. In the last couple of years, our transfers in, players out and the youth promotion have all been fantastic.
Is it spot on? Maguire, AWB and James is not spot on for me. Limited for a title challenge. They could still work under the right coaching, but certainly not spot on signings.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We don't need one.

Sorry but this is so far from reality, you might as well be watching United play in a VR world.

lewwoo

Can't we just keep the one thread open and add to it every year? Seems like a waste to start a new one every year.

Chairman Steve

I feel like the club hierarchy itself has done the right thing of seemingly listened to their senior scouts and existing footballing heads regarding recruitment, instead of having decisions vetoed by the likes of Jose, LVG and even Moyes in the past.

And while OGS will get credit for it, I think his actual role in recruitment is overstated. I don’t think the hierarchy of this club are going to give the freedoms that Jose and LVG had, compared to him with his CV against theirs. Those freedoms given to Jose and LVG are part of the reason why we have such a Frankenstein monster of a squad these past few years, OGS would have had input into it but I really can’t see him being responsible for everything.

R'hllor

Someone rang dinner bell, time for customers to eat this shit up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is it spot on? Maguire, AWB and James is not spot on for me. Limited for a title challenge. They could still work under the right coaching, but certainly not spot on signings.
It's only spot on if you're a United fan. The money paid out for AWB and Maguire was way too much. We literraly got our pants pulled down.

Rafphael Honigstein on the United Stand podcast earlier today said that neither Shaw or Wan Bissaka have world class potential and our fullback positions are a weakness due to the role being so important in modern football.

roseguy64

I feel like the club hierarchy itself has done the right thing of seemingly listened to their senior scouts and existing footballing heads regarding recruitment, instead of having decisions vetoed by the likes of Jose, LVG and even Moyes in the past.

And while OGS will get credit for it, I think his actual role in recruitment is overstated. I don’t think the hierarchy of this club are going to give the freedoms that Jose and LVG had, compared to him with his CV against theirs. Those freedoms given to Jose and LVG are part of the reason why we have such a Frankenstein monster of a squad these past few years, OGS would have had input into it but I really can’t see him being responsible for everything.
The club has put out that the manager is now just part of the process, rather than the main deciding person. Of course the manager has a veto so his word is important but like you said, it's no longer the full deciding vote.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's only spot on if you're a United fan. The money paid out for AWB and Maguire was way too much. We literraly got our pants pulled down.

Rafphael Honigstein on the United Stand podcast earlier today said that neither Shaw or Wan Bissaka have world class potential and our fullback positions are a weakness due to the role being so important in modern football.
Yeah, it's strange how this gets forgotten. We seriously lack the competency to be taken seriously in the market. Our last 7 years is testament to that. Now, it so happens Ole resided over the extension of deals for Pereira, Smalling, Jones and Rojo. As well as the 5 year 350K deal for de Gea.

Cloud7

After every sequence of bad results. It’s like clockwork :lol: Incredible that the powers that be at the club think this is a good idea.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, it's strange how this gets forgotten. We seriously lack the competency to be taken seriously in the market. Our last 7 years is testament to that. Now, it so happens Ole resided over the extension of deals for Pereira, Smalling, Jones and Rojo. As well as the 5 year 350K deal for de Gea.
The money that's been squandered since Fergie retired has been nothing short of scandalous and something needs to change or else we'll carry on doing the same and we'll wonder why the likes of Leipzig and Dortmund etc recruit much better than us with a fraction of our budget.

Web of Bissaka

True it's expensive and way too much. Not the first time our club is beaten in the negotiation table, common post-saf.

Alternatively is to get non-English players, who can be way cheaper.

Oh wait, we tried that with Dalot, Bailly, Darmian, Rojo, and Lindelof (who else?). Only Lindelof is reliable but only at the 3rd season - his 1st season is rubbish and 2nd is growing improvement but still average. Darmian is useful only in one season.

In contrast, AWB and Mag fits right-away into the starting 11.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The money that's been squandered since Fergie retired has been nothing short of scandalous and something needs to change or else we'll carry on doing the same and we'll wonder why the likes of Leipzig and Dortmund etc recruit much better than us with a fraction of our budget.
Yeah. Seems signing three players who fit the team well makes all this just disappear. One of the highest wage outlay in the world and yet, no quality of depth. Hundreds of millions down the drain that could have been spent sensibly and meant we'd have an incredible team now.

And Woodward briefs he's held off appointing one because he doesn't want a DoF to take the flak for his reckless management of club resources. Baffling.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Doesn't Rangick enjoy total control? Can't see him being too keen on our model.

Although I don't tend to believe these rumours, as others have pointed out they're parroted every summer. I'd still very much like us to sign one.

SparkedIntoLife

I would want Ragnick or Campos but no way will it be one of them if the briefings are correct. Both like full control and would not fit into the United recruitment system. It'll likely either be a United old boy like Ferdinand or Fletcher or someone regarded as a negotiation shark who has great contacts around the world and can do the necessary schmoozing. I hope it isn't Antero Henrique based on what I've heard about him.

Jordi Cruyff is a good shout. He speaks loads of languages and seems to have a lot of respect and friendships in the game (the reputation of his Dad probably didn't hurt with that). Given the timing of him becoming a free agent, I think he's the one.

#CR7

I've heard from a journalist that Phelan is viewed as our DoF internally. Not sure if it was Whitwell/Mitten or a journalist on Stretford Paddock.

But it was definitely in the last week. So he's the likely appointment. Then again it could have been one of SP crew.
I heard this from somewhere too.

Perhaps it could mean that Phelan is thinking of leaving?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
True it's expensive and way too much. Not the first time our club is beaten in the negotiation table, common post-saf.

Alternatively is to get non-English players, who can be way cheaper.

Oh wait, we tried that with Dalot, Bailly, Darmian, Rojo, and Lindelof (who else?). Only Lindelof is reliable but only at the 3rd season - his 1st season is rubbish and 2nd is growing improvement but still average. Darmian is useful only in one season.

In contrast, AWB and Mag fits right-away into the starting 11.
All those foreign players you mention is evidence of our structural problems since Fergie retired and something I've posted about several times.

Dalot was signed by Mourinho and his scouts as reported by Jason Burt. He had hardly played for Porto's first team and was a developmental signing.

Lindelof was never considered amongst the best young CBs in the world and even Benfica fans didn't think he was good enough to play for us. Mourinho again along with his scouts pushed the boat to sign him.

Bailly was raw when we bought him in the words of his then coach at Villareal at the time and he was 22 and was playing CB and RB. Mourinho again was given the autonomy in the transfer market to to sign him.

I can go on...

All that proves is that we had no idea regarding long-term planning and flip-flopped from one footballing mantra to another with Moyes, Van Gaal, and Mourinho being given too much control in the transfer market.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Perhaps anticipating the criticism that will come his way if we falter against Leicester and everyone will say we needed Bruno last summer and a backup striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.