Telegraph Football: Man Utd looking to appoint director of football this summer | Appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyril C

I don't think anyone really cares anymore about a DOF. As long as we are recruiting well, selling the deadwood, working towards a dedicated football philosophy and not ignoring the academy.

Woodward is doing a fine job on the financial front, so that's sorted.

Why bother with a DOF.

The only one I feel would fit in nicely is VDS, given his experience of playing with us and being CEO of Ajax
VDS was interviewed before, and he stated that he is only interested in a GM role, not a DOF. So he wants part of Ed's authority and possibly full control on football side. I don't know if Ed and VDS had actually met to discuss, but this is what he is interested in.

Coops73

I thought we’d now decided on an American style collegiate system with regards to recruitment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Talked about the club still wanting to appoint a DOF to work alongside Ole,however looks like Ornstein has deleted it for some reason
I watched the video and he said they would like to get one but they are no in rush looking for one due to everything has been working well under Ole & the scouting network team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's the second time in a couple of weeks when a tweet on a DoF at United is deleted.

What's our MO here, brief-retract-brief-retract?

Terminator

We'll hear about this the next time we lose a game? Hope we can get it done by 2030.

cyril C

I watched the video and he said they would like to get one but they are no in rush looking for one due to everything has been working well under Ole & the scouting network team.

Scouting network work - needs assessment. Just because we got 1 Bruno correct, but how many mistakes before that? If our scouts can only recommend Sancho, Bale, Dybala, because these are the names that his pals suggested, then we are still miles from a working scouting network. I would say the City scouts achieved more because majority of their intake fit in. Liverpool had fair share of success and failures, but at least enough success to make a difference. Arsenal can only pick <20 years old so can't complain. We paid over the odds on players that don't produce, or don't fit; and fail to find us any U23 jewel.

Manutd GOGOGO

Ole is the perfect candidate for DOF..

Let someone who is "OBSESSIVE" with tactics and player coaching be the Manager/Coach.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Let someone who is "OBSESSIVE" with tactics and player coaching be the Manager/Coach.
Do we really need a DOF to suggest Sancho, Grealish, Maguire, AWB and James?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He isn't. DoF should be someone who is well connected with huge network, should be in position to take good advantage of contract clauses.The signings we have made are very straight forward ones or known players.

We should be proactive to take advantage of free transfers, talking to players when their contract has 1 year to expire so that we can get them on cheap or free transfer, should be well connected with agents to know the 'secret clauses'.

murali_red

We should have a director of football. It would help for a footballer to convey our vision and have interaction with potential signings. You can’t always have Ole speaking anyway. Also he would help keep a balance with football and commercial aspects. With Ed, he would always be inclined to commercial side

Slysi17

We don't need one.

Ole is doing a great job on the recruitment front, and Woodward isn't going to be replaced on the negotiations front.

If Ole ever fails as the manager on the pitch, he'll move formally into the DoF role to continue his work on retaining our football philosophy.

You might be able to criticise Solksjaer's tactical nouse or his coaching ability, but his squad management has been spot on. In the last couple of years, our transfers in, players out and the youth promotion have all been fantastic.
What if Ole goes or get sacked. What then? You want Ed Woodward and co running things then. Probably would hire Allergi or something. We need a director of football or someone in charge of football matters. Simple as that

buckooo1978

far too early for this thread to get bumped

the process is

Early window: Rumours and briefings about players

Mid-window: the lull (where we are now) and stories of the club focusing on different deals

Late Window: We shift a few players and sign 1/2 missing out on our primary targets

Post-Window: Ole happy with squad, laments window and club briefs about a search for a DoF

Rinse and repeat

Womp

idiot
What if Ole goes or get sacked. What then? You want Ed Woodward and co running things then. Probably would hire Allergi or something. We need a director of football or someone in charge of football matters. Simple as that
I would take Allegri, he's a very good manager.

dpansheth

This is the same crap Kudlow and Mnuchin pulls out.
Market drops few handles, "stimulus hope" or "phase one deal" or "vaccine optimism"
same for us, cant get even one major summer signing done, pull out the magic card "Football director this summer"..

Slysi17

Oh yea I am not denying that. But it would be a completely different style of play. We did that when we went from Van Gaal to Mourinho. The squad ended up in a mess. That's why a person needs to be in charge of football matters because I can't see Ole being here long term.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I rate Allegri but I wouldn't want him at United at this point. It would mean having to change the system all over again with players having to leave because they don't fit his vision. I'd go for people like Favre or Gasparini

MetoTTT

I think OGS will fit the DOF role perfectly, even now I think that's the right job for him. But I know he'll want to manage another club.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think OGS will fit the DOF role perfectly, even now I think that's the right job for him. But I know he'll want to manage another club.
I've said the same for ages now. He's done the job already he had to do. Broken the culture up, identified the type of signings we should be trying to make and also a lot of people know he's not tactically as good as his man management.

He'd be perfect for me with Poch as manager even if they did it this summer. I can't see a downside in doing just that for the long term benefit.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He'd be perfect for me with Poch as manager even if they did it this summer. I can't see a downside in doing just that for the long term benefit.
A DoF with little tactical knowledge and a manager with a lot? I mean it could work.....

Mark Pawelek

Important reasons why United must get a DoF:
  • clear out the deadwood, and make sure the situation never arises again
  • speed up buying players. Get players in within the first 4 weeks of the transfer season, not the last 4 hours. For example: look how fast City got Ferran Torres. We'd spend the whole summer negotiating his purchase.
  • Every season we begin the new campaign without a chance in hell of winning the PL. This isn't so much incompetence as unaccountability. Because no one person is tasked with the job of making sure the squad are in place we find it isn't. It's not a question of no money either.

Last edited:

Drainy

Not going to happen. Everyone with any sense knows that the position as imagined by the club is essentially worthless, they will get ignored, and then be the patsy when we recruit poorly.

Woodward seems like a control freak. I bet that the kitman has more decision making autonomy that a DOF role under him.

Valuedrug

Not going to happen. Everyone with any sense knows that the position as imagined by the club is essentially worthless, they will get ignored, and then be the patsy when we recruit poorly.

Woodward seems like a control freak. I bet that the kitman has more decision making autonomy that a DOF role under him.
This. All day long.

Woodward and his cronies get their kicks from running United. The best we can hope for is another Ole like character, who will appeal to the fans, while not threatening Woodwards position. In the unlikely event that we actually do get someone in, we can only hope it will be someone who actually cares to build whatever they can in spite of the structural limitations.

Reactions: Sultan
Status
Not open for further replies.