Telegraph Football: Man Utd looking to appoint director of football this summer | Appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

People who are criticizing Ole for not going in on Ed really don't have a clue how things work. Of course he won't go all in on him, he is still a manager of Utd and Ed is still his boss. When he is out he might have something to say.

Cloud7

I don't understand why he keeps defending Ed and the rest of the hierarchy.

Totally understand not wanting to criticize your bosses in public, but at least respond with a "no comment" or something along those lines instead of replying positively.
He doesn’t have the background of a Mourinho or Vangle or even Moyes to be guaranteed at least a decent (Top flight in a major league) job when his stint at United comes to an end. It’s in his best interest to do what he can to stay on Woody’s good side

Davie Moyes

Of course Ole won't rock the boat and criticise his boss as he does not want to lose his dream job. He got it on the basis of doing well as a caretaker when otherwise he had no credentials for the job. You can't blame him for that.

I'm just getting fed up of Managers getting all the flack and then getting sacked, whilst the Board get away with it all the time, without hiring a DoF and implemeting a proper football and sporting set up.

murali_red

People who are criticizing Ole for not going in on Ed really don't have a clue how things work. Of course he won't go all in on him, he is still a manager of Utd and Ed is still his boss. When he is out he might have something to say.
Why can't he go, Mourinho, LVG all had a go directly or indirectly. Ole is coming out and saying we have a good squad, when Luke shaw is saying we need players and I think squad is looking at other teams looking to improve, no wonder Pogba is playing shite and backline is making mistakes after mistakes knowing the have no competition.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why can't he go, Mourinho, LVG all had a go directly or indirectly. Ole is coming out and saying we have a good squad, when Luke shaw is saying we need players and I think squad is looking at other teams looking to improve, no wonder Pogba is playing shite and backline is making mistakes after mistakes knowing the have no competition.
Talking publicly is actually what the media wants and will play in the hand of media. Something that should be discussed internally shouldn’t be gave away like that publicly, it will only disturb the people inside the club as the whole people inside the club will also talk about it result in lack of focus of what they are supposed to do. It’s anything but creating negative atmosphere.

Grande

Good point, Mourinho and Van Gaal both had a go - and it made everything worse. So maybe it’s as flawed a tactic as it sounds? Fergie never did. Mostly, having a go at the club in public is a sign that a manager will not be at the club for much longer. Most managers avoid that.

I think the idea that the manager talking up the players and not slating the club in public, will make the players play worse, is not backed by evidence and just sounds very unlikely.

UncleBob

Good point, Mourinho and Van Gaal both had a go - and it made everything worse. So maybe it’s as flawed a tactic as it sounds? Fergie never did. Mostly, having a go at the club in public is a sign that a manager will not be at the club for much longer. Most managers avoid that.

I think the idea that the manager talking up the players and not slating the club in public, will make the players play worse, is not backed by evidence and just sounds very unlikely.
Managers speaking out against the higher ups, or just the club itself, is usually a pretty big hint that things are about to fall off a cliff, it can also have detrimental effects in terms of players slacking more off because they know that it doesn't really matter as a new manager will come in and they can instead try to impress him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Director of football would have limited impact, they would still be reporting to the Glazers and looking for their signature on a cheque.
Its not always about the amount of money you can spend on a signing, but finding the right signings and negotiating good deals.
With the amount of money we have spent overall, we should have a much better squad than we have. Lets not even talk about the wage bill

arthurka

Not saying he can't go of course he should, the start of this season should be more than enough so Ed should be looking for alternatives. But Ole would of course not be going at his employers until he is out. Even then he might have to sign a gagging order so that he can't unveil Utd matters for some time after, both Mourinho and Van Gaal have chosen their words extremely carefully after their dismissal.

But losing three semi finals and coming into the season like we have done should be more than enough to make our owners and their henchman think about the status of the squad and the manager. Problem is that's half their fault with the lack of support this summer. It's a pattern fairly well known from them as they have left every single one of our managers hanging since they bought the club.

Skills

Snitch
Question is, would the club let him appoint his own manager/head coach as his first action at the club?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Weird timing, surely this was meant to come out if we lose to Chelsea?
I would not be surprised if after all the bad headlines about our financial position, and fans going crazy about the dividends still being taken, someone thought the DoF story was needed.

you just have to laugh at this point
I actually did. Genuinely. When I saw it I laughed, real life, out loud laughing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
NASA are more likely to announce a permanent moon settlement than there being a major shake-up at United.

Chairman Steve

The Mirror had a premonition that we lost to Chelsea on the weekend right?

I refuse to believe anything that directly affects Ed’s position of being a Adriano Galliani wannabe.

lysglimt

Scout
Well if we don't get a DOF-appointment right after spending something like 3 years looking for him - we might as well give up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mirror quoting Canal + who have got lots wrong and the same outlet even reported not long ago that they expected Campos to join Spurs..

BlahRules

Not going to happen, they've been making out United are looking for a director of football for years but never ever even trying to appoint one.

hubbuh

I had a ridiculous yet insatiable desire for Ralf Rangnick but I'll take anyone that isn't named Edwood Woodwood at this point. That said, this obviously isn't going to happen, 'cos the Woodman.

K Stand Knut

no chance because like every other manager and senior member of staff, they’ll sign a confidentiality agreement for a large pay-off

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Lille DoF Luis Campos to Old Trafford in the near future, says some of the papers. So round about the time I start collecting a pension then

RealBarcelonaUnited

Good news if it's true. One of the highly respectable DoF out there, can't do much wrong with him.
However, Ed must give him control otherwise it'll be yet another high profile mistake.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm expecting this to be another false dawn but the reasonable thing to do is to get one by the end of this season. By then Ole's contract would have one more year left and the three year rebuild would be coming to an end. Ole's done a really good job at rebuilding which was meant for a DoF but unless he suddenly turns into a world class coach i think the combo of a good DoF and a very good coach is the best thing when Ole's contract expires instead of extending the contract

Status
Not open for further replies.