Telegraph: Gary Neville calls for Ed Woodward to be sacked for Manchester United's 'unforgivable' recruitment

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Woodward and Glazers made the mistake of keeping LVG in 2015 because he managed to get champions league football. We should have approached Klopp right after he left Dortmund. But our board is not so forward thinking.
That's what I think myself, we seem to only look at things when we have no other options, for managers and players. That's one of the reasons why we signed has beens as managers and why we seemingly never have multiple options when it comes to strengthen a particular position. We are the kings of being late to the party.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The Bucs are in an historicall bad franchise and only had success with the Glazers. They also missed the playoff due to the strength of their division with records that would have seen them reach it in others divisions. Also Tampa season ticket prices are in the NFL bottom half.
Well seems i am just talking out my arse then. Still, i have read quite a few places that the fans are very unhappy with the Glazers

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I get the impression that the Glazer/Woodward board is a closed loop that they're reluctant to open up to anyone outside of their damaging little cabal. They don't want anyone to interfere with how they run the club, no matter how bad things get, as the current set up fulfills their intentions. With the quality of football not being one of them.

We're in complete paralysis right now and nothing changes until they fix the structure to reflect a modern football club. Or feck off altogether.

Paul_Scholes18

Wait..... wait.... woah, hold the horses a second!!! Do we really have the second highest wage bill in the world?!
Nope, but I can't find any good new data. Barca and Real have more 100%. PSG and City have more, but might use smart accounting to get around the fair play rules.
You can bet that Aguero, De Bruyne, Neymar and Mbappe got massive salary above what is often reported.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Before Woodward showed up we had the biggest revenue in world football from 1998-2005.

Now we won't even be in the top 3 this season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That's what think myself, we seem to only look at things when we have no other options, for managers and players. That's one of the reasons why we signed has beens as managers and why we seemingly never have multiple options when it comes to strengthen a particular position. We are the kings of being late to the party.
We will make the same mistake again. Said last month that I wouldn't be surprised if we sack Ole a week after Pochettino has signed elsewhere. We are that kind of club.

Rob Bowman

Thank God!!

It is unforgivable we let Fellaini, Herrera, Sanchez, and Lukaku all go and our management didn't get another CM AND attacker.

Just one of each for flip's sake...

Unforgivable.

Denis79

It's irrelevant whether he names Woodward or not, everyone can deduce about whom he's talking about. Every man and his dog know Glazers and Woodward and their incompetence relating football matters.

This is not going get Woodward to get sacked but it might make him appoint a DoF knowing how reactionary he is. We can only hope we can stumble our way into right direction finally.
It's crazy that our club is driven forward by our CEO's kneejerks.

RUCK4444

Before Woodward showed up we had the biggest revenue in world football from 1998-2005.

Now we won't even be in the top 3 this season.
This is where he will finally get the chop. Once he’s not working his magic on the club revenue.

I swear I would love to force feed this mug one of his boardroom balance sheets and call him out for the clown he is.

The money he has recklessly pissed away with managers HE appointed is a disgrace and has led us down the path to where we are right now.

Eckers99

Thank God!!

It is unforgivable we let Fellaini, Herrera, Sanchez, and Lukaku all go and our management didn't get another CM AND attacker.

Just one of each for flip's sake...

Unforgivable.
Yeah but we spent the most if you don't count incoming fees so net spend is irrelevant. Apparently.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
People have gone on about the wages and spending without getting anything in for a few years now, how did he first notice it 2 weeks ago?

Denis' cuff

Great foresight Gary. You'll be telling us its Tuesday tomorrow, next.

Welcome to the party.

Barnslig

I agree with him but his main argument is based on something that I have been saying for years now which goes totally against what he and many others people said in the last years with their "the club is not backing the manager" narrative. The issue isn't a lack of investment, it's that when you back a manager that has no clue about how to manage a football club, you end up wasting an incredible amount of money, that's why most clubs have a structure that is independent to the head coach who is "just" there to coach players on the training pitch and on match days. The shareholders should fire Woodward because he wasted their money and fans should want him to be sacked because he is useless but our managers are also responsible, they have been the main driving force behind our purchase, contract extensions and our wage bill incredible increase, Woodward is just the idiot that backed them and now we are kind of screwed because we absolutely need to get rid of a good 100m in wages before starting to splash big again.
I, like the others on here, mostly agree with you as well. Obviously the issue isn't spending, we're constantly in the top when it comes to spending, the issue is where it's spent as you say. I struggle to blame managers for recruiting, as ideally this isn't even their job. Their job should be to come in, oversee and improve what's at the club. Regardless of who's in the hotseat the club should have a plan, an identity and a style of play and it's becoming very apparent the club have none of those things in place, and that is on the management team above the manager. The problem we are currently in is because Woodward and other seniors in the management team have no idea what they are doing and have blindly backed whoever is in the dugout without any vision or plan for how to proceed after a manager moves on which has left us in a situation where we've had 3 managers with vastly different styles and requirements of the playing staff. If you look at other teams, like Liverpool and City they have a plan, a system in place to recruit certain players to fit their way of playing, while we're seemingly waving around in the dark just trying to grab a hold of whoever is willing to play for the club, regardless of their strength and/or weaknesses.

I might be biased towards Ole, being Norwegian myself, but regardless of who's the manager, it's time to look at those above and start asking questions as to what they are doing to allow our managers to thrive, in my opinion.

Alabaster Codify7

Not that it will make changes but I reckon the atmosphere on Wednesday night is going to be toxic. It's likely to be a horrible game of football which is going to set the tone and frustrate an already frustrated fanbase/crowd. I'm expecting 0-0 with no shots on target and a chorus of boos and anti-Woodward chants in the final minutes.

ravi2

No they didn’t have a plan.

You mean the plan where they sacked Rodgers in October and hire Klopp. It wasn’t some long term plan. They managed to get Klopp when he was a free agent something Woodward should have done by binning LVG in 2015.
I believe we are making the same point. There is a serious lack of long term planning and footballing intelligence at the club after gill and saf left.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To be honest, moving in the transfer market does shit for us long term. There might be a short-term reprieve and up-tick in results but I will say it a million times. Our biggest problem isn't a lack of investment. We have spent 1bn euros in less than seven years. Apart from Barcelona, i can't think of a non-oil club that has spent that much.
The entire football management structure of this club is broken. Completely broken.
As long as this whole circus remains, I can't get excited about transfers.
I agree that we spend money hand over fist and enormous change is needed, but after the news about Rashford and the fact we were already threadbare it is excruciatingly obvious we need quality players but numbers as well. We cannot be moving into this second half of the season relying on Martial and Greenwood for goals, hardly any options in attack or in midfield while also not being certain about when Pogba / McTominay / Rashford amongst others are even going to be available. We need to get to the end of the season before being able to think about the longer term future.

It's incredibly frustrating because you are right, in the long term it is a top level overhaul we are crying out for. But in the immediate future, we desperately need to recruit some players. That game yesterday showed that in my opinion.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
From the moment I read his first summer interview when he took over the job and insisted no new major transfers were needed I knew things were going to go poorly. I just never imagined they could go so horribly wrong.

Tel074

If we go into the Burnley match having made no real advances in the transfer market, the atmosphere could be toxic towards the board

I agree with this because this is how I feel . I've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and I've got to the point of no return with these parasites running our club .

I gave them the benefit of the doubt this season I backed Ole because I believed this was a new change a new plan and part of that rebuild and plan had to involve United buying in January it was a must

jackal&hyde

It's true the number one reason for the situation at United is very poor recruiting. The funny thing is, it looks like things might have changed with Ole so it's probably the worst possible time to come out with this; should have been said under the LVG and Mourinho eras as that's when we payed fortunes for crap players.

Now it has to be about supporting Ole and the rebuilding he is doing by getting rid of expensive flops and bringing in hungry talented players and continue the improvement that we see in some of the players, Rashford, Martial, Fred, McTom, James etc. This would be the worst possible time for a reset.

Von Mistelroum

He's so right though and it's embarrassing that so many people have accepted or excused this.

Phil Jones is still one of the highest paid defenders in the league.
Marcus Rashford has half the talent of someone like Jamie Vardy but is paid as though he's the second coming of Rooney.
Jesse Lingard wouldn't be the stand-out performer in any Championship side...let's pay him whatever he wants!

It just goes on and on. Even our better players aren't anywhere near the level of their pay when compared to other teams and we have a half-decent squad earning superstar wages.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Man who is terrible at his job should get the sack... In other news, Manchester is a bit rainy.

Seriously though, it is news because nobody says it enough... but really, every fecker should be saying it. The man is abhorrently bad bt his job.

JPRouve

Scout
Well seems i am just talking out my arse then. Still, i have read quite a few places that the fans are very unhappy with the Glazers
They are unhappy like at least a good third of NFL fans the rest are mainly ambivalent. Too many NFL followers have no clue about the game or the league, they are more busy either bragging or knee-jerking. And in the case of Tampa it's also important to remember that they haven't actually been bad in the last 10 years, they are slightly below average but in arguably the best division in the 2010s which saw them often closely lose in division games. And the silver lining, they are the best franchise in Florida.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Embarrassing when people say he doesn't care about the club. Unlike most fans he actually has a long standing relationship with the club so can't always be reactionary and call the club out.

Fair play to him for this.
He loves this club. There is no question about it. But he is disliked( as pundit) because he is hypocrite. He is calling for Ed's head in which he is right but all this months he didn't say anything against Ole. For same things he was attacking Jose last few years( again he was right then).

Paul_Scholes18

He's so right though and it's embarrassing that so many people have accepted or excused this.

Marcus Rashford has half the talent of someone like Jamie Vardy but is paid as though he's the second coming of Rooney.
Jesse Lingard wouldn't be the stand-out performer in any Championship side...let's pay him whatever he wants!

It just goes on and on. Even our better players aren't anywhere near the level of their pay when compared to other teams and we have a half-decent squad earning superstar wages.
Still we can't pay them more than City does. Aguero surely must have higher wages than Rashford by a lot. If not what the hell are we doing?
De Bruyne and Pogba could be matched I imagine. Although they have so big depth with Sterling, Sane, Mahrez on high wages too.
Silva, Gundogan, Rodri Fernandino etc.
We barely have a bench so there is no way we have higher wages than them even if De Gea earns double what Ederson does.

Eckers99

I can agree with some of that but Rashford has got more natural talent than Jamie Vardy. You could've singled out pretty much any other player in the squad than him though, to be fair.

Denis79

Man who is terrible at his job should get the sack... In other news, Manchester is a bit rainy.

Seriously though, it is news because nobody says it enough... but really, every fecker should be saying it. The man is abhorrently bad bt his job.
All about perspective, for the Glazers he's doing an excellent job. They have directly and indirectly pocketed around a billion pounds from the club, not too bad eh?

dove

Please Ed, sack Ole and then immediately sack yourself.

Marcelinho87

feck me, this is ridiculous!

Marcus Rashford is a much better football than Jamie Vardy... Where was Jamie Vardy at the age of 22?

Rest I can agree with though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
All about perspective, for the Glazers he's doing an excellent job. They have directly and indirectly pocketed around a billion pounds from the club, not too bad eh?
Thing is, they could have pocketed a lot more if our recruitment/ squad management/ managerial appointments had been better..... Also if we we're more succesful we'd also generate more money.

Marcelinho87

They have been there a lot longer than Woodward has, how much has he made them since 2013? I guarantee it's not as much as he could have made them.

It's a myth he is good at his job, all these things (Sponsors etc) come to Manchester United because it's a household name not because Woodward is some master negotiator.

I bet we are actually worse off than we could have been had Gill been here or maybe some one else had taken over.

JPRouve

Scout
Thing is, they could have pocketed a lot more if our recruitment/ squad management/ managerial appointments had been better..... Also if we we're more succesful we'd also generate more money.
And they didn't pocket around a billion pounds, directly or indirectly.

Rafaeldagold

[/QUOTE]

As is Ole. They all need to go

JPRouve

Scout
They have been there a lot longer than Woodward has, how much has he made them since 2013? I guarantee it's not as much as he could have made them.

It's a myth he is good at his job, all these things (Sponsors etc) come to Manchester United because it's a household name not because Woodward is some master negotiator.

I bet we are actually worse off than we could have been had Gill been here or maybe some one else had taken over.
Woodward has been around since 2004 but Gill was shit at his job too. The difference was SAF, our transfer dealings were terrible at the time and they were great with Kenyon too.

Bojan11

feck me, this is ridiculous!

Marcus Rashford is a much better football than Jamie Vardy... Where was Jamie Vardy at the age of 22?

Rest I can agree with though.
Rashford shouldn’t be on those wages though. He’s on more than the Liverpool front three for starters and the same goes for Martial. They probably eclipse De Bruyne too.