Ten Hag | First MUTV Interview (10am BST) | Press Conference (12pm BST)

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Or maybe, as he repeatedly said, it's more important to speak with the club staff and players before making wild statements to the media.
Yup, he’s definitely a behind closed doors kind of manager. He’s not going to use the media to shout about how bad ass and ruthless he is, but you get a sense of determination to succeed and anyone or anything that gets in his way will be dealt with in private. The way it should be.

LDUred

It has begun.
You also have to factor in that he's speaking in a second language in front of a bunch of people who were pretty hostile and embarrassingly rude. How many journos actually said, 'Welcome to England, Erik; congratulations on getting the job.' They all dispensed with the pleasantries and just sat there barking questions at him. They made themselves look bad, I thought. At least have the pretence of politeness and welcome a guy to your country like most people have the decency of doing.

I think he handled it all pretty well without giving too much away or looking in any way flustered. His English is fine. He's a B2 (upper intermediate) but he is receptive and he understands perfectly what is being put to him, so these skills are arguably at a higher level than what he knows in English in terms of vocabulary.

I would say that his English is at a similar level to Pep's; it is probably even marginally better. Rangnick's English is excellent and better than anyone's I've heard as a non-native English speaking manager.

justsomebloke

I saw the interview and I was like ok but after the conference I have to say I'm not happy. Sorry. I want to be positive but honestly he was a sht show.
1) Keeps saying we have a good squad and we came second etc.
2) Asked about transfers - its up to the club but I look forward to working with them
3) Asked what style of football he wants. He says you have seen Ajax. I like that but the players have to feel comfortable and play i their positions etc
4) Asked about Rangnick. He said he will talk to a lot of people and make his own decisions. So no one gives a fk about Rangnick basically.
5) Asked about Maguire and said he will make that decision but Maguire is a great player and has achieved a lot etc

People will say yeah but what did you expect him to say. I expected a bit more umph. For example - It was a bad season and we know we need to improve. I demand big improvements and everyone works hard and together. We will play fast attacking football. I expect high pressing and high workrate. We are losing many players and we need really good replacements that I have identified. I respect Ralf and will talk extensively with him and work with him on the implementation of the plan. etc Thats just an example of being more direct and forceful without being an arse. It can be done.

Basically he just comes across as a yes man. He did not rock the boat or do anything to indicate big changes. Just wants to implement a plan and work all together. Also comes across as soft and just happy to be here. I hope Im wrong and he has a backbone because if he continues like this its player power, Oleball and McFred for next season.
Well, maybe the experience with RR should teach us that having the manager say things we enjoy hearing at pressers isn't really a relevant measure.

UpWithRivers

Well, maybe the experience with RR should teach us that having the manager say things we enjoy hearing at pressers isn't really a relevant measure.
Or when a manager that doesnt say what we enjoy hearing like Mourinho isnt a relevant measure. Or a manager that is nice as ice cream - Ole isnt a relevant measure. Or any of them. Whats the point of the pressers then. Ignore them and this forum.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Smart of the club to do this at the end of the season.

Let's the press get all their BS out of the way now, then forget it all over the holidays.

Ridiculous how they've got knives out for him already. Just shows what a gutter the press is in these days.

Waynne

No he isn’t.
Didn't the club bring Ralf in on the basis that he will be consultant? I'm sure he's had a say in identifying the next manager after his interim spell unless I missed a piece of news that says otherwise. Care to post a link to such an article?

I never quite understand the reasons for posting like this. If you disagree, fine but at least add a bit of context as to why you disagree.

These one worded responses don't encourage any dialogue.

choccy77

Ten Hag is going to have a pretty big fall if he thinks the players at the club are worthy of achieving 2nd place.

Was pure luck and the failure of the other teams during covid that we even came in top 4.

romufc

Ten Hag is going to have a pretty big fall if he thinks the players at the club are worthy of achieving 2nd place.

Was pure luck and the failure of the other teams during covid that we even came in top 4.
Are you trying to say covid was completely eradicated this season? Its not like loads of games were called of this season right?

Well, you do realise this season, its our failure we didn't finish top 4, not because the other teams are that good. Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal are not that good.

Sviken

Back to back top 4 is something we hadn't done since SAF left. The season we ended 3rd we were also in a pretty bad spot at one point, so who knows how it would've ended, Ole at least always had these sudden out of nowhere runs of 10 great games.

It wasn't the level we required, but it was a good platform to build from.

Now we have a completely broken team.

Rangnick is a very bad man manager. Social media and snowflake generations are here to stay, that's just occidentalized life. But then you have emotionally intelligent people who adapts to it, like ancelloti having selfies, and those who don't and lose a dressing room in 1 week.
People like to shit on Rangnick, but he inherited a sad shitshow. By the time Ole left everyone here wanted him to be replaced by Fred the Red, as long as he is rid. Rangnick isn't the best manager around and we all knew that, but he also wasn't allowed to bring any of his players in and had to deal with what he was left. And what he was left was pitiful. Everyone wanted Ole gone, but apparently the players enjoyed training under Ole. And that wouldn't surprise me as who wouldn't? You're just enjoying yourself. But that disintegrated the values of these players as an actual unit playing football.

Ole inherited a well drilled squad who was downing their tools because they disliked the manager. Rangnick inherited a shitty team full of players that were now downing their tools because their favorite manager was sacked and now they were asked to actually work hard instead of doing kick ups. So in short - we might have gotten top 4 with Ole given the state of our "rivals" and their own problems, but it would have still been the same good vibes football with players simply making an effort whenever they could be assed to which might have nicked us a couple of results, enough for a top 4. But that in itself would have left us in a very shitty situation because if Ole had gotten top 4, I doubt the Glazers would have sacked him - instead they would have given him another 6 years contracta nd we'll be stuck in a limbo. This way is for the best.

choccy77

Are you trying to say covid was completely eradicated this season? Its not like loads of games were called of this season right?

Well, you do realise this season, its our failure we didn't finish top 4, not because the other teams are that good. Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal are not that good.
I'm referring to His constant mention that this team came 2nd a year ago.

He thinks the current players are good enough... he is wrong & will fall on the sword if left to that belief.

Last season Liverpool were still a miles better team than United yet we finished above them. Spurs were probably a better team as were Chelsea.

United had luck & a crazy ability to win away from home. Doesn't mean we were ultimately better, it was purely circumstances that put us in that position, not the quality of the team vs others.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

It has begun.
The knives are already out in the media. Yesterday Simon Jordan and danny murphy said they weren't impressed. Neil Custis from the sun also said the same thing. They're all just waiting for him to fail!

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He's doing that to try and instill a bit of belief into the players and maybe lift a bit of the doom and gloom around here. He's right. They're not all horrendous players, they just had a dreadful season this year.

He thinks the current players are good enough... he is wrong & will fall on the sword if left to that belief.
We shall see. Again, I think it's just noise at this point. He's not going to come out and say that he's selling half of the team.

Last season Liverpool were still a miles better team than United yet we finished above them. Spurs were probably a better team as were Chelsea.
Thats a ridiculous statement. How are you defining 'better', if not by points amassed?

United had luck & a crazy ability to win away from home. Doesn't mean we were ultimately better, it was purely circumstances that put us in that position, not the quality of the team vs others.
Again, very strange. Read what you've actually written, it wasn't quality of us vs others which meant that we beat teams and earned the 2nd most points in the league.. What?!

spiriticon

He is not exactly someone who is charismatic in front of the camera, this isn't some secret. Ajax fans have been saying this for a while now.

Let his football do the talking
Pep is exactly the same. Everytime Pep does an interview or press conference, a part of me suspects he on the spectrum somewhere.

But you can't argue with Pep's football.

romufc

So you think a new manager, who has to work with the current players will come in and say what exaclty? This team is rubbish, we need 15 new players?

You must be completely deluded if you think this can happen.

The most he will get is 5 players, which means he has to be clever, by not throwing everyone under the bus in his first press conference, especially if he hasn't even met the players.

Last season, Liverpool were miles better yet finished below United, we competed against them in games against them. Spurs were not better than Chelsea, the table tells you that and Chelsea also won the CL.

So what about luck, do you think City and Liverpool didn't have luck this season? A crazy ability to win when 1-0 down is called mentality btw.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Are you really blaming Ralph for a fractured dressing room! I totally agree with not airing your dirty laundry but this is not normal circumstances. Its like an airplane. You dont worry the passengers. Rule 1. But in this case one wing fell off. There is a fire in the hold, the other engines exploded, the cabin is depressurizing and you are hurtling to the ground. If you somehow would survive you would write a complaint blaming the captain for saying something and worrying the passengers!
Fk those players. They went out, got some petrol, poured it over Old Trafford and burnt it to the ground and then sht on it. And now its all but Ralf said some truths and it hurt our feelings. He's the real reason for us doing bad stuff. I want my mummy.
No, Ralf isn't blameless and publicly airing the laundry has made a already fractured dressing room, worse. Because the players he's been calling out via the press/media, were the same players he and we needed to salvage a bad situation. So instead of getting a new manager bounce, Ralf ended up having the worst record for a manager at the club for 50 years, whilst playing diabolical football, which was led by two guys he brought to the club (Armas/Sharpe) who were out of their depth.

But hey, 'Ralf exposed the players' but he also exposed himself.

choccy77

So you think a new manager, who has to work with the current players will come in and say what exaclty? This team is rubbish, we need 15 new players?

You must be completely deluded if you think this can happen.

The most he will get is 5 players, which means he has to be clever, by not throwing everyone under the bus in his first press conference, especially if he hasn't even met the players.

Last season, Liverpool were miles better yet finished below United, we competed against them in games against them. Spurs were not better than Chelsea, the table tells you that and Chelsea also won the CL.

So what about luck, do you think City and Liverpool didn't have luck this season? A crazy ability to win when 1-0 down is called mentality btw.
What I said was clear, if you can't accept that us coming 2nd wasn't as a result of pure luck and a series of coincidences & that you believe the other teams were not actually better than us, that's on you.

Hag should not have used being 2nd as a soundbite to say this team is good enough.

Makes him look silly after this season & whilst he can't change everything in 1 or 2 years, he shouldn't insult everyone who watched United have their worst season ever by saying such things.

Trophy Room

I saw the interview and I was like ok but after the conference I have to say I'm not happy. Sorry. I want to be positive but honestly he was a sht show.
2) Asked about transfers - its up to the club but I look forward to working with them
3) Asked what style of football he wants. He says you have seen Ajax. I like that but the players have to feel comfortable and play i their positions etc
4) Asked about Rangnick. He said he will talk to a lot of people and make his own decisions. So no one gives a fk about Rangnick basically.
5) Asked about Maguire and said he will make that decision but Maguire is a great player and has achieved a lot etc

People will say yeah but what did you expect him to say. I expected a bit more umph. For example - It was a bad season and we know we need to improve. I demand big improvements and everyone works hard and together. We will play fast attacking football. I expect high pressing and high workrate. We are losing many players and we need really good replacements that I have identified. I respect Ralf and will talk extensively with him and work with him on the implementation of the plan. etc Thats just an example of being more direct and forceful without being an arse. It can be done.

Basically he just comes across as a yes man. He did not rock the boat or do anything to indicate big changes. Just wants to implement a plan and work all together. Also comes across as soft and just happy to be here. I hope Im wrong and he has a backbone because if he continues like this its player power, Oleball and McFred for next season.
Oh dear - looks like you’ve had a meltdown. Just relax. You have no control or understanding of any of this.

romufc

What I said was clear, if you can't accept that us coming 2nd wasn't as a result of pure luck and a series of coincidences & that you believe the other teams were not actually better than us, that's on you.

Hag should not have used being 2nd as a soundbite to say this team is good enough.

Makes him look silly after this season & whilst he can't change everything in 1 or 2 years, he shouldn't insult everyone who watched United have their worst season ever by saying such things.
So will you take our CL medals away? Because the first one was luck and the second one was luck in Terry slipping and missing a penalty? Does that mean we have an Asterix against those CL tiumphs?

I think it only makes him look silly to you. Its offensive to you, him saying there is potential in this team, yet you are doing the exact same to the players that came 2nd?

His job is to make these players better, believe it or not, some of the players we have do have potential.

Gorefest

Good stuff. Only thing that struck me was that he said that the players dictate the style
Why? That has always been his view. He has a clear set of key strategies/concepts that the players need to familiarise themselves with, but the way that the play itself is executed is very much dependent on the specific skills of the available players. That is why he changed playing styles with Ajax 2-3 times during his tenure. Style is the way in which the tactical concept is executed on the pitch. The tactical concept is leading, the available squad informs how these concepts are given shape on the pitch.

youmeletsfly

1. The squad is decent to good. With a few new players here and there, we'll bench MCT, Fred, Shaw, AWB, Maguire and maybe Bruno and the whole squad will be quite strong. Also he responded the way he did intentionally.
2. Of course it's up to the club, what the feck are you on about?
3. No, the players need to not feel comfortable and play in their position, I mean this was quite the issue in the last few years, players being comfortable? Have you watched us lately?
4. That hasn't go anything to do with anything.
5. What were you expecting him to say? "Maguire is a waste of 80 mil and shite, like 95% of English overrated trash players?"

Some of you folks need to get out of the house more. I'm sorry I'm being an ass, but these kind of posts are turning this forum into RAWK.

Big Andy

Bloke

I imagine on your first day in a job, you go in there and slate everyone without having met them first, call your colleagues wasters and throw everyone under the bus do you? Give the guy a break, if you're like this after an interview what are you going to be like when we lose a game?

Don't forget that this was an interview in a second language, and one that he's only recently started learning with any real intent.

Give the guy a break ffs.

evil_geko

But hey, 'Ralf exposed the players' but he also exposed himself.
No he hasn't, he actually got a new job very fast didn't he, because there are people that actually look at context not just pure numbers and statistics and spout "this is worst manager this club ever had" nonsense.

The only thing he exposed, aside from players, is how lots of people here look so simplistic and limited at football, that's about it.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No he hasn't, he actually got a new job very fast didn't he, because there are people that actually look at context not just pure numbers and statistics and spout "this is worst manager this club ever had" nonsense.
Being exposed post Fergie as the manager doesn't mean you can't get a job elsewhere. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho are in even better jobs than the one Rangnick is in now with the Austrian NT.

evil_geko

Being exposed post Fergie as the manager doesn't mean you can't get a job elsewhere. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho are in even better jobs than the one Rangnick is in now with the Austrian NT.
If you are to believe what Caf says about him, he wouldn't get called to manage my local team. I couldn't care less about Rangnick, he is not top manager, but he is not even close as bad as tons of people are making him to be, not defending him per se, I am just tired of reading overblown nonsense on this forum.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Compared to the other Dutchies, he has not mastered English yet. Which is a bit strange.

UpWithRivers

1. The squad is decent to good. With a few new players here and there, we'll bench MCT, Fred, Shaw, AWB, Maguire and maybe Bruno and the whole squad will be quite strong. Also he responded the way he did intentionally.
2. Of course it's up to the club, what the feck are you on about?
3. No, the players need to not feel comfortable and play in their position, I mean this was quite the issue in the last few years, players being comfortable? Have you watched us lately?
4. That hasn't go anything to do with anything.
5. What were you expecting him to say? "Maguire is a waste of 80 mil and shite, like 95% of English overrated trash players?"

Some of you folks need to get out of the house more. I'm sorry I'm being an ass, but these kind of posts are turning this forum into RAWK.
1) The squad is decent to good. - No its not. Its the worst team we have ever had when you add up performances, results AND the dressing room unrest. Have you just watched our season or not? We downed tools! Its a fking sht show. A disaster. There are no words for how bad it is. Why is it only me thats not forgetting this? Its like everyone has collective amnesia. Ok so you can say 'oh but we got second' and 'oh but we have some top players' and excuse after excuse. But lets base our assessment on where we are at now. Its sht. Terrible. Crap. Why lie? Yeah I get he cant come out and say that we are crap and an embarrassment but you can still say it as it is. We had a bad season. We are capable if a lot more and we need to work a lot harder. Why cant you say that instead of saying that we are good. We are not good at this moment.
2) Its up to the club but again when you are so fkn sht you demand a response. Conte, Mourinho all top managers demand action on transfers especially when you are a dumpster fire. Again sure you can give a wishy washy response. 'Oh transfers are a difficult process. You know its the club that needs time' and blah blah blah. Or you can say 'We are losing 10 players. it is imperative that we target players early and get the right players in that want to play for United. I am working on that as a priority with the team' etc See the difference?
3) The players need to feel comfortable - but in Ten Haags system. We should not accommodate any player. We should not change systems to fit the players. The players fit the system. End of. Why say the should feel comfortable? What does that even mean except if you dont like what I tell you then we can do it your way. I mean wtf? Why even get Ten Haag if he is going to do what the players say
4) It means we start from scratch - AGAIN! We give everyone a 5th, 6th, 7th chance. That means we write off next season while Ten Haag figures out the bad eggs. it means everything
5) Again I expect him not to praise anyone that's a fkn pile of sht. Just don't say it. Its easy - 'I will decide my captain in the coming weeks' Is that hard?

posts are turning this forum into RAWK. - The posts are turning into delusion and collective amnesia if that's what you mean. For me I haven't forgotten what those fkn players did this season and tell the truth without being delusional.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you are to believe what Caf says about him, he wouldn't get called to manage my local team. I couldn't care less about Rangnick, he is not top manager, but he is not even close as bad as tons of people are making him to be, not defending him per se, I am just tired of reading nonsense on this forum.
I don't believe he's as bad some are portraying him out to be , because i've seen him coach a good Leipzig team. But I do feel his lack of experience at a big club didn't help us in our predicament. But most of the candidates for the interim role weren't experienced at managing big clubs.

phelans shorts

Didn't the club bring Ralf in on the basis that he will be consultant? I'm sure he's had a say in identifying the next manager after his interim spell unless I missed a piece of news that says otherwise. Care to post a link to such an article?
“You’re sure” ok then that’s that settled.

Ten Hag made comments dating back to the weekend after Ole was fired where he changed his tone and suddenly started talking about making his decision at the end of the season. Ralf wasn’t involved with the club at that stage. The initial makes it seem as if there was already open dialogue between the club and Erik, again, Ralf was sat twiddling his thumbs in Moscow at this stage.

There is literally nothing to suggest that Ralf was involved in the selection of a manager aside Ralf saying he’ll make a recommendation when he first joined. He is just as likely to have recommended Terry Tibbs as he is Erik ten Hag. Much less that Ralf had some important final say, he genuinely might have said Erik, but it wasn’t his decision to make. Murtough and Fletcher brought him in, while Ralf was too busy being the literal worst manager United have ever seen.

laughtersassassin

He is in for a tough if not near impossible year.

Needs to get top 4 and win any trophy for it to be successful.

I doubt he gets the backing to do that but even if he doesn't it remains a must. Very difficult situation.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If you are to believe what Caf says about him, he wouldn't get called to manage my local team. I couldn't care less about Rangnick, he is not top manager, but he is not even close as bad as tons of people are making him to be, not defending him per se, I am just tired of reading overblown nonsense on this forum.
Says the guy that can’t stand Ole and won’t give him even the smallest bit of credit. Your attitude would be noble if it wasn’t entirely hypocritical.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems like a lot of optimism has dissolved in this thread already.

I thought his PC was very good and guarded, of course he isn't going to give anything away or so too much before speaking with staff and players this week or so. I can't wait to see him properly get started, will make a change watching a team trying to play to a system instead of just trying things on a whim.