Ten Hag's coaching staff

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
  • Michael Clegg, fitness coach, appointed under Ole in 2019.

This guy should be hung for fraud.
Strength and power coach according to reports I've read, in which case he's doing his job.
Look at Elangas physique recently for example, or Rashford.
He should be working with Amad really.

Acole9

Outstanding
Looks like Phelan, Armas and Sharp will leave this summer but Ramsey will be staying.

Waynne

Every player at United is on some kind of performance bonus, be it assists, goals, clean sheets, wins, already....
Yep my post was a joke but I get what you're saying.
Just tired to see United players not giving their all on the pitch.

pascell

Strength and power coach according to reports I've read, in which case he's doing his job.
Look at Elangas physique recently for example, or Rashford.
He should be working with Amad really.
You do know Elanga hired a PT pre season last year to get in that shape, right? Nothing to do with Clegg who was brought in not long before Ole was sacked in November

-Supreme-

It will be interesting to see how this develops with ETH keen to bring McClaren in as part of his coaching team and the club decides to keep Rashford

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?

Correct me if I am wrong on this but was this guy also an ex player and one of the lads, who retrained as a physio.

Bojan Djordjic

Bit of a strange one. There’s been absolutely no improvement noted with our set pieces since he joined as a set piece coach and then he got moved to a different role after a relatively short time. You’d wonder what he has done to justify his retention.

Blood Mage

I have no problem with Ramsay sticking around, we are more defensively solid on set pieces now. Still shite at scoring from them mind.

Please tell me Phelan is leaving though? Absolute dinosaur who doesn't cut it at this level anymore. I haven't heard good things about Chris Armas and Ewan Sharp either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Correct me if I am wrong on this but was this guy also an ex player and one of the lads, who retrained as a physio.
Right back I believe, used to knock about the squad in the 90s. I think I vaguely remember him in a CL game once, although that might have been Danny Pugh.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Right back I believe, used to knock about the squad in the 90s. I think I vaguely remember him in a CL game once, although that might have been Danny Pugh.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, he was a half decent back up lad I remember but had no long term chance when the Nevilles came through.

Baneofthegame

Bit of a strange one. There’s been absolutely no improvement noted with our set pieces since he joined as a set piece coach and then he got moved to a different role after a relatively short time. You’d wonder what he has done to justify his retention.
Im pretty sure someone else posted in another thread we have dramatically reduced the amount we have conceded from corners.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There has been a tangible improvement in our defensive set pieces, which was one his major roles for us.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The reports seem to be more along the lines of, see if anyone that is here is worth working with before we fire the lot of them, which I think is sensible, and then anyone that does go and leaves a gap they will then talk about filling those gaps.

For example, I don't really see the need to get rid of Sascha Lense. However reports from today suggest Armas and most likely Phelan will be leaving so they will most likely be gone.
RR repeatedly stated that the mentality and physical intensity of our players (all of them) sucks. These are the two things sports psychologist is responsible for, so how the hell does Sascha keep his job? That would be continuing the era of zero responsibility and accountability. Nothing is ever anybody's fault...

cyril C

Armas is out of his league. And definitely not the set piece coach, we leaked in more set piece before his appointment

L1nk

RR repeatedly stated that the mentality and physical intensity of our players (all of them) sucks. These are the two things sports psychologist is responsible for, so how the hell does Sascha keep his job? That would be continuing the era of zero responsibility and accountability. Nothing is ever anybody's fault...
Do you think that the mental and physical intensity of our players has only dropped since Sascha has come in?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Do you think that the mental and physical intensity of our players has only dropped since Sascha has come in?
Here comes the first "not his fault" comment.

You know what? Doesn't even matter when it started (even though it was close) the fact that it hasn't improved under him already means he is paid for nothing. Hint: "Many other things going on" also does not matter. The only thing he is paid for is to fix it. If he can't fix it, whether his "fault" or not, then he is paid for nothing and he should go away, preferrably to a place where he can improve things. This is not about firing him, but we shouldn't pay people who add nothing.

Pogba doesn't add anything - paying him millions because "not his fault". Sascha not adding anything - paying him because not his fault. No! Ship them out.

This is how accountability works in non-dysfunctional places. If he cannot fix it - he goes, if nobody can fix it, eliminate the role until the situation is different.

edcunited1878

This is his primary coaching staff and 100% one of his demands that had to be respected and met before he would entertain United’s managerial offer.

Whoever he picks to be part of his coaching staff, not including backroom staff like strength and conditioning, sport science, medical, is his focus. EtH may eventually have a say in the said backroom staff in time, but for now, he's laying the foundations. This is why it was always ridiculous to say that he was going to walk into training and manage against Palace. It goes against everything EtH is for.

Bojan Djordjic

There has been a tangible improvement in our defensive set pieces, which was one his major roles for us.
Fair enough on the defensive improvements but I still think it’s.a bit of a failure to have the 3rd worst set-piece attack in the league when you have one of the tallest teams. United scored from seven set pieces compared to Man City’s twenty one. How many extra points would we have on the board if we had effective set plays?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fair enough on the defensive improvements but I still think it’s.a bit of a failure to have the 3rd worst set-piece attack in the league when you have one of the tallest teams. United scored from seven set pieces compared to Man City’s twenty one. How many extra points would we have on the board if we had effective set plays?
He wasn't brought in for attack set pieces, unless I am mistaken.

Bojan Djordjic

He wasn't brought in for attack set pieces, unless I am mistaken.
Do clubs have different set pieces coaches for attacking and defensive set pieces? Seems very strange that you would address one glaring weakness and not the other?

haru krentz

We have been dogshit fitness-wise even before Cleggs arrived. Go take a look at our stats under Mourinho. i just hope ETH brings his fitness coach from Ajax, and make sure the first thing to do during the first training is to make these lazy players run, run, and run until they vomit or beg to leave the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do clubs have different set pieces coaches for attacking and defensive set pieces? Seems very strange that you would address one glaring weakness and not the other?
It's a fair question - I would have assumed so. Although a few articles pointed to his remit being focused more on the defensive work. I'm sure his input extends to the attacking work required, and I agree much improvement is needed there.

I don't think it should be controversial that ETH picks him to stay on though - he's made improvements and was a good coach for Chelsea. I'm sure there is a reason he's warmed to.

Grande

I think it’s more the case that set pieces are asigned to one of the staff to focus specifically on. Training time is limited, especially in-season, so often the glaring stuff is focused on first. Given our vulnerability at defensive set pieces last season, it would make sense to assign particular work on that aspect this season. With Rangnick coming in, I don’t imagine offensive set pieces was given much priority after that, given the glaring holes in open play structure needed to be adressed.

I’d say everything points to Eric Ramsey having solved his main task with aplomb this year.

Mikelinho

I firmly expect Ten Hag to introduce the “headset” to the premier league, communicating with the offensive and set piece-coordinator in the stands during games. It will be revolutionary for the sport.

sparx99

Its a really important area of improvement for us over the summer. The Athletic did an article a couple of years ago that showed the title winners are usually top 2-3 at set pieces.

So many games can be broken open by getting a set piece goal. Not unlike a year or two ago when we were getting a lot of pens.

You get the first goal from a set piece and it actually helps your open play form as the other team has to come at you. Or you get the 2nd goal and it can help put the game to bed. So many games we conceded and ended up drawing as a result when a goal from a corner could have wrapped up the points.

Bojan Djordjic

Its a really important area of improvement for us over the summer. The Athletic did an article a couple of years ago that showed the title winners are usually top 2-3 at set pieces.

So many games can be broken open by getting a set piece goal. Not unlike a year or two ago when we were getting a lot of pens.

You get the first goal from a set piece and it actually helps your open play form as the other team has to come at you. Or you get the 2nd goal and it can help put the game to bed. So many games we conceded and ended up drawing as a result when a goal from a corner could have wrapped up the points.
I remember reading that a large part of ETHs success was based on a very strong set piece foundation so would be great if he could bring that with him because we dropped too many points in games we should have won since Christmas. Can’t help feeling if our set pieces were even above average, we’d have won some of those games and might have even fluked top four.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

:lol:

Our players were amongst the least fit players in the league.
When Ralf arrived and asked them to press, they did so for 30 minutes against Crystal Palace, after which they got very tired and said, "sorry boss, we can't run like this. Feeling tired."
Ralf must've been perplexed. Athletes who can't run? What next? A chef which can't cook? A cleaner who can't clean?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
People blaming the fitness coaches: the players don’t want to run!!! Simple
If the player refuses to run cuz he feels lazy, he should be reported to the manager.
If the player can run/train, but the training schedule is not intense or good enough, then that's on the fitness coaches.

Matst1

If the player refuses to run cuz he feels lazy, he should be reported to the manager.
If the player can run/train, but the training schedule is not intense or good enough, then that's on the fitness coaches.
yep, and this time they cant hide because EtH is a hands on manager that runs his own training sessions..

Foxbatt

We have been dogshit fitness-wise even before Cleggs arrived. Go take a look at our stats under Mourinho. i just hope ETH brings his fitness coach from Ajax, and make sure the first thing to do during the first training is to make these lazy players run, run, and run until they vomit or beg to leave the club.
I don't think it's a fitness issue. Anderson could never play the whole 90 mins and SAF would sub him around the 60 or 70 min mark. But he would give all during the time he was on the pitch.
These guys never run even in the first ten minutes.
It's an attitude problem.

choccy77

I don't think it's a fitness issue. Anderson could never play the whole 90 mins and SAF would sub him around the 60 or 70 min mark. But he would give all during the time he was on the pitch.
Anderson used to eat 3 Supersized Big Mac meals before matches

haru krentz

Fitness issue cause by attitude. This is why i mentioned the first thing ETH should do is to order our players to run and run and run, make it sure they understand the message.

Foxbatt

Fitness issue cause by attitude. This is why i mentioned the first thing ETH should do is to order our players to run and run and run, make it sure they understand the message.
If they don't run and make an effort he should sub them even if it's the first ten mins. I remember Jose when he joined Chelsea subbing a player in the first half. That got the message to the rest of the players.

edcunited1878

Coaching staff with have to prepare up to 16 players to be involved in league games next year. Subbing up to half your outfield players in the league should provide teams with another approach(es) to winning.