Film TENET

Oldyella

He has a great track record of movies, just really hope its miles better then Dunkirk. That movie was boring after a second watch. Still, cant wait to see it.
Really? I love that movie, thing it holds up well.

I want to watch this in the Cinema, love all his stuff, just not sure about spending that time sat around others (socially distanced or not)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Do you not "risk it" sometimes and try to make your own judgement? I don't think there's a person alive that can definitively tell me that I'll hate a film, occasionally it's worth a shot. Especially with blockbuster types.
With Mission Impossible i had read The Guardian's review and still rented it. I gave up three quarters of the way through. The Guardian really saves me a few bob.

Sometimes I watch a film on Netflix or Amazon Prime and it can be rubbish too. Some good ones like The Irishman and Da Five Bloods. Most are rubbish though.

I reckon there is only five or six really really good films a year. Parasite and 1917 were exceptional tbh.

The problem with me is I have literally seen every good movie ever made, so my standard is high. Film really is a drug as Frank Capra said. So if you have seen all the masterpieces, then it becomes very difficult to match the high.

In fairness i will still rent Tenet. I owe it to Nolan because most of his films are unreal.

AaronRedDevil

Really? I love that movie, thing it holds up well.

I want to watch this in the Cinema, love all his stuff, just not sure about spending that time sat around others (socially distanced or not)
Thankfully not many go to my cinema at 2 in the day and when you book a seat, all the seats around are blocked off for that. So it's safe at least.

Oldyella

Thankfully not many go to my cinema at 2 in the day and when you book a seat, all the seats around are blocked off for that. So it's safe at least.
Yeah, if I do go, I will be going during the day. My usual MO, but now everyone is working from home, might be busier than I am used to!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Seen an interesting fan theory
That this is a secret sequel to inception.

Zen

Whole career has been 5 star that’s why.
Maybe from a modern blockbuster point of view - but in general film history, not really. But this has probably been covered relentlessly on this forum..

I take 5 stars from Empire with an absolute pinch of salt. They give it out like nothing. Very few films should be rated perfect, but it's a mainstream mag, for a mainstream audience.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Maybe from a modern blockbuster point of view - but in general film history, not really. But this has probably been covered relentlessly on this forum..

I take 5 stars from Empire with an absolute pinch of salt. They give it out like nothing. Very few films should be rated perfect, but it's a mainstream mag, for a mainstream audience.
Agreed.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Guardian tends to be spot on with regards my own personal ability to enjoy a film. They slated the latest Mission Impossible and i agreed with them on it.

The Guardian and Roger Ebert are the two reviewers i live by.

I will still rent Tenet when it becomes available.
I've read the Guardian review now. I still want to see te film, but I expect to agree with the review. It sounds like this is Nolan in the style of Inception, which I rather disliked (apart from some of the visual trickery) - basically for all the reasons lined out in the Tenet review. So I'm not holding my breath for Tenet now, but I do expect to enjoy some of the action - basically like The Matrix (the first one): don't bother with the pseudo-intellectual nonsense, ignore the overblown stylishness (that isn't my style), but enjoy the action.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
The Guardian tends to be spot on with regards my own personal ability to enjoy a film. They slated the latest Mission Impossible and i agreed with them on it.

The Guardian and Roger Ebert are the two reviewers i live by.

I will still rent Tenet when it becomes available.
Whaaaaat. The last Mission Impossible was the best action film I’ve seen since... I’ve honestly no idea when, it was that bloody entertaining.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Whaaaaat. The last Mission Impossible was the best action film I’ve seen since... I’ve honestly no idea when, it was that bloody entertaining.
Agreed. Amazing film and I love how it prefers real stunts over fake CGI trickery (but they need to fire whoever ruined the halo jump by making it look unrealistic).

Zen

since... the last MI film? Think they're great as you say, action films.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Peter Bradshaw would have given it a glowing review though. That guys gives 4 stars every time the street lights go on.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Superunknown

Empire have given this 4 stars. Tbh, I don't read reviews for anything these days,certainly not for games, films or music. If I like the look or the theming of something, I'll just go ahead and make my own mind up, or if a friend recommends something, I'll give it a go. I've loved all of Nolan's previous work, so I want to see this. Huge question marks over cinemas for me though. I might wait a while until it's been out a couple of weeks and choose a late showing when there's even less people going to see it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Only 2 Nolan movies I enjoyed were Insomnia and the Dark Knight. And the former only because of Pacino.

Sweet Square

The only film critic worth listening to

Slavoj Zizek - "I haven't seen x movie but this doesn't prevent me from having an opinion on it"

I can't remember the last time I went to see a film based on reviews, I tend to go if I've liked the directors other works. Not a massive fan of Nolan so I'll likely catch this later on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ballsy move for any film critic to give this a bad review. Would only be a slight exaggeration to say that the future of cinema needs this film to be a success.

Don’t know if anyone reads restaurant reviews but I don’t think I’ve read a single negative review since lockdown. I don’t think the critics have it in them to put the boot into an industry that keeps them in their job, when it’s so vulnerable.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
ha. It's admirable just how starry-eyed he has remained after all these years though. He still seems one of the last few genuine opinions, even if it's the opinion of a naive child.

b82REZ

One of the worst films I've ever seen. I'm actually angry at how offensively bad it was. Normally I look for some positives in films I watch but there is nothing redeeming about this whatsoever.

AaronRedDevil

One of the worst films I've ever seen. I'm actually angry at how offensively bad it was. Normally I look for some positives in films I watch but there is nothing redeeming about this whatsoever.
Funny. I thought it was really good. A bit confusing at times, but very enjoyable. A Really smart movie.

b82REZ

Funny. I thought it was really good. A bit confusing at times, but very enjoyable. A Really smart movie.
:lol: No it isn't.

It's atrociously bad. It's as if he took the script from Red Dwarf's Backwards, translated it into multiple languages, then back into English. I called the big twist about 3 minutes into the Airport scene. It's purposely obtuse in the vain hope of appearing clever and art housey. The idea is good in theory but does not translate well onto the big screen. The scenes with both forward and backwards action were horrendous and made the special effects look hammy.

I hoped this would be return to form from Nolan but like Dunkirk this was bad and he appears to be getting lost further up his own arse.

AaronRedDevil

:lol: No it isn't.

It's atrociously bad. It's as if he took the script from Red Dwarf's Backwards, translated it into multiple languages, then back into English. I called the big twist about 3 minutes into the Airport scene. It's purposely obtuse in the vain hope of appearing clever and art housey. The idea is good in theory but does not translate well onto the big screen. The scenes with both forward and backwards action were horrendous and made the special effects look hammy.

I hoped this would be return to form from Nolan but like Dunkirk this was bad and he appears to be getting lost further up his own arse.
Well I disagree....least there’s one thing we can agree on. Dunkirk was pretty bad. :D

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nolan's a pretty overrated director. Relies too much gimmicks especially as his career as wore on.

The Dark Knight was phenomenal but since then I've not really loved any of his films. And them being as hyped as they are isn't warranted IMO

b82REZ

Nolan's a pretty overrated director. Relies too much gimmicks especially as his career as wore on.

The Dark Knight was phenomenal but since then I've not really loved any of his films. And them being as hyped as they are isn't warranted IMO
Hard to disagree really. Feels like he's still riding the wave from the Batman films, Memento and to a lesser extent Inception.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Love TDK. I like his work in general but the majority of what I like is down to the cinematography, so maybe I should be praising Willy Fister or Hoyte Van Hoyteyhoyteman.

Can he just go back to things like TDK and The Prestige without all this "look at how amazingly clever I am" patter?

JohnZSmith27

I thought it was great too. Very impressively shot. The score was epic too. Definitely going to need to see it again to get my head around some parts.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Looking forward to this. My top 3 movie list is The Matrix, Interstellar and Inception, the two latter have been made by Nolan so expectations are high.

AaronRedDevil

I thought it was great too. Very impressively shot. The score was epic too. Definitely going to need to see it again to get my head around some parts.
I really needed some subtitles for some parts, the music got a little too loud when they were trying to explain things :lol:. I always watch tv with subtitles. I’m lost without them. I definetly understand it a bit more now that I’ve thought it more. Really enjoyed it. Great sequences in it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I really needed some subtitles for some parts, the music got a little too loud when they were trying to explain things :lol:. I always watch tv with subtitles. I’m lost without them. I definetly understand it a bit more now that I’ve thought it more. Really enjoyed it. Great sequences in it.
Haven't seen this, but a massive pet hate of mine in Nolan films is the "this bit is supposed to be profound, so we need THE LOUDEST BLARING MUSIC POSSIBLE TO MAKE YOU FEEL SOMETHING" thing he does in pretty much all of them.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not seen this yet but want to. Probably know it isn’t going to be as good as his other work but I want to see it anyway.

Interstellar is beyond doubt one of my favourite films alongside O Brother Where Art Thou and I’ve loved most of Chris Nolan’s films and while I understand everyone likes different things I just don’t get the hate that Nolan provokes.

JohnZSmith27

Yeah I get that alright. Happened to me couple of times too. I actually thought it was just the speakers in the screen I was in until now.

RedStarUnited

I thought it was just my cinema. The sound mixing in this is really bad.

Like the movie in general though. The first hour I was completely lost on whats going on but the following hour starts to explain things more clearer.

Superunknown

Nolan's mixing has never been great in his films. He basically just cranks up the Zimmer switch all the way to the top and then turns the dialogue the opposite way. Must be the same for Goransson's score, too. :D

I'm desperate to see this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nolan's mixing has never been great in his films. He basically just cranks up the Zimmer switch all the way to the top and then turns the dialogue the opposite way. Must be the same for Goransson's score, too. :D

I'm desperate to see this.
Interstellar was the worst. Michael Caine is sobbing, saying something to Jessica Chastain and the next minute she looks pissed off and is accusing her dad and the doctor of being arseholes. It's arguably the most important line of dialogue in the film and it's so muffled with the ambient music cranked to ear piercing levels that it really feels like Nolan is taking the piss. Never knew what he said until I watched it at home with subtitles.

Superunknown

Interstellar was the worst. Michael Caine is sobbing, saying something to Jessica Chastain and the next minute she looks pissed off and is accusing her dad and the doctor of being arseholes. It's arguably the most important line of dialogue in the film and it's so muffled with the ambient music cranked to ear piercing levels that it really feels like Nolan is taking the piss. Never knew what he said until I watched it at home with subtitles.
I know exactly the scene you mean. :lol:
I watch every film at home with subtitles now and wish I could have that option in the cinema, especially for his films. It's hilarious how this is such a huge issue in his films and I'm certain that he's doing it deliberately now just to feck with people. It works.