Film TENET

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sooo, just went to see this. Nolan is starting to buy into his own hype a bit if you ask me.

It was extremely loud, I'll give it that.

Mike Smalling

Went to watch this yesterday. Meh. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it.

Among Nolan's 'mindbendy' movies it might be the best in terms of visuals and action scenes, but the weakest in terms of storytelling. I was pretty confused at some points, and I thought that most of the characters lacked personality, which means you don't really become invested in them. I thought it lacked real emotional depth, which I think was done well in Inception (Cobb's wife and kids story) and Interstellar (Cooper's relationship to his daughter).
Maybe I just have to watch it again at some point, but I definitely wasn't that impressed even though it did have some cool moments.

• When the protagonist is first inverted, wasn't he told that he should not come into contact with his former self? How does that work when he has a fist-fight with himself in the vault?
  • I never really got why the protagonist was so hellbent on saving Kat all the time. There didn't seem to be a romantic interest, and you would think saving the world would be more important.
  • Also, the subplot about Kat saving her son felt pretty insignificant in the scheme of things. There was an unintentionally hilarious moment, where it is explained how Sator will kill the entire planet, and Kat asks "Including my son?". Yes, Kat - that would include your son.
  • Thought it was odd how inversion was introduced through inanimate objects (the protagonist catching the bullets, etc.), but then that dynamic wasn't really used throughout the rest of the movie.
  • It was weird how it seemed like a commentary on climate change towards the end. Sator mentions something about the oceans rising, rivers running dry, etc., they meet up at an offshore wind farm, etc. Felt a little out of place.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Among Nolan's 'mindbendy' movies it might be the best in terms of visuals and action scenes, but the weakest in terms of storytelling. I was pretty confused at some points, and I thought that most of the characters lacked personality, which means you don't really become invested in them. I thought it lacked real emotional depth, which I think was done well in Inception (Cobb's wife and kids story) and Interstellar (Cooper's relationship to his daughter).
Maybe I just have to watch it again at some point, but I definitely wasn't that impressed even though it did have some cool moments.

• When the protagonist is first inverted, wasn't he told that he should not come into contact with his former self? How does that work when he has a fist-fight with himself in the vault?
  • I never really got why the protagonist was so hellbent on saving Kat all the time. There didn't seem to be a romantic interest, and you would think saving the world would be more important.
  • Also, the subplot about Kat saving her son felt pretty insignificant in the scheme of things. There was an unintentionally hilarious moment, where it is explained how Sator will kill the entire planet, and Kat asks "Including my son?". Yes, Kat - that would include your son.
  • Thought it was odd how inversion was introduced through inanimate objects (the protagonist catching the bullets, etc.), but then that dynamic wasn't really used throughout the rest of the movie.
  • It was weird how it seemed like a commentary on climate change towards the end. Sator mentions something about the oceans rising, rivers running dry, etc., they meet up at an offshore wind farm, etc. Felt a little out of place.
that "including my son?" line was ridiculous indeed. Cracked me up.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

This was more or less how I felt after watching the film.

Golden Nugget

Just watched it - you guys seem to understand it all so - sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid

I read about the whole inverted thing in regards to Kat - but exactly why did she need to be pushed through the airport? Can she not be inverted elsewhere?

So there are two Kats in the world, until Sator kills her later - but since Sator dies then what happens?

The final scenes was awfully confusing for me. When the protagonist first gets in the bunker - he sees a guy in the ground, with the coin - who we later see was Neil - who was also outside at the time. So did he have another version of himself go back and die as well?

Jericholyte2

Just watched it - you guys seem to understand it all so - sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid

I read about the whole inverted thing in regards to Kat - but exactly why did she need to be pushed through the airport? Can she not be inverted elsewhere?

So there are two Kats in the world, until Sator kills her later - but since Sator dies then what happens?

The final scenes was awfully confusing for me. When the protagonist first gets in the bunker - he sees a guy in the ground, with the coin - who we later see was Neil - who was also outside at the time. So did he have another version of himself go back and die as well?
I can’t really explain the two Kat’s bit but I can clear the ending.

So Neil was originally inverted but went through the turnstile to try and warn the splinter cell about the trip wire. And then after pulling them out and saying he’s going back, he knows he has to go back again, hence the, “Let me go” line. Neil will then go back into the turnstile and invert, going back to the point where her tries to unlock the door and gets killed.

Golden Nugget

I can’t really explain the two Kat’s bit but I can clear the ending.

So Neil was originally inverted but went through the turnstile to try and warn the splinter cell about the trip wire. And then after pulling them out and saying he’s going back, he knows he has to go back again, hence the, “Let me go” line. Neil will then go back into the turnstile and invert, going back to the point where her tries to unlock the door and gets killed.
ahhh thats one part cleared up. Thanks man

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

I think with her they needed her to spend a certain time inverted to heal up (for some reason). When you're inverted you're effectively going back through time so they needed to bring her somewhere in the past where they knew a turnstile would be available. The only one they knew of for sure was the one in the airport.
That's how I understood it at least.

Superunknown

Saw this tonight! We booked tickets to a subtitled screening, hoping that this would alleviate the issues that we've been hearing regarding sound mixing. Annoyingly, the subtitles never turned up! I missed about 3 or so minutes of the film at the start as I went to go and get it sorted out, but they couldn't do anything about it apparently as it was down to "head office" or something. Ended up getting free tickets, so will watch this again...hopefully with subtitles.

Film was amazing. I really enjoyed it. Yes, the sound mixing isn't great and does need sorting out, but I picked up more than enough of the key details and dialogue to work out what was happening and keep up. Looking forward to a second viewing to see how it fares on repeated viewings.

Had the whole cinema to ourselves! It was weird, but did feel like we were sat in our own living room but with a massive screen in front of us. :lol:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Finally saw this in its correct environment at Manchester Printworks IMAX. It was loud as feck but the sound was definitely better than my first viewing at Stoke Cineworld.

My friend and I also decided to take some industry strength Bolivian marching powder for the duration and I left more confused than i was the first time around.

It didn't help that his smart watch kept informing him that his heart rate was exceeding 120bpm.

Still a 9/10.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Finally saw this and thought it was superb. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire movie.

I wish there were more filmmakers out there doing stuff like this instead of super hero movies.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s a brilliant movie. Ridiculous of course. But great Cinema.

I think it’s better than Inception, which is an easy and lazy point of comparison.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Inception is far better movie than this, and yet it's widely acknowledged as overrated movie.

Sound editing in both Tenet and Dunkirk made me depressed, what the feck is that about?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Inception is far better movie than this, and yet it's widely acknowledged as overrated movie.

Sound editing in both Tenet and Dunkirk made me depressed, what the feck is that about?
Is this out?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I've just watched it for the first time. DIdn't get it in the cinema so was waiting for a good 4k source.

Did anyone else just get a little bit lost at times? It was a lot to try and take in I thought. I thought it was fantastic though.

Seen the comparisons to Inception above but at the moment I still feel Inception is a much superior film, although that's one of my favourite films ever.

Really enjoyed Pattinson too. Really looking forward to seeing what he does with Batman although I'm disappointed it's not going to be teaming up with Nolan again. Thought JDW was also really good, not sure I've ever seen him in anything before. Can't immediately say I recognised him from anything.

Rake

Watched it last night and found it fatiguing. The audio mixing was absolutely terrible and really took a toll on me. Half of the time it was deafening and the other half i was struggling to hear what they were saying.

Can honestly say that I did not like it that much. There were a few ridiculous scenes like when Sator spat on Kat and she reacted like she just got hit by Badr Hari... This and Dunkirk were a bit of a miss for me.

M16Red

Felt nothing for any of the characters, story was a mess and horrid.

You what to watch something that will bend your mind watch Memento

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The opening 10 minutes was a struggle but after that I didn't find the story complicated at all, thought it all made sense. It reminded me of a Red Dwarf episode.

Also, I didn't notice until the final third because I thought the music was a bit odd but then I realised in the final act that when they were in the inverse scenes the music was playing backwards. It's a fun film with an interesting concept, but after reading this thread I did feel the story generally felt flat.

I'm not sure I buy the theory that Neil is Kats son though. It's not like they can pick and choose when to go back in time, when they enter the machine that is their starting point. So for Neil to be Kats son, he would have to go back into the inverse world after his training and then be in the inverse world for like 10+ years to get back to the point they are in the film when he was a little boy. That seems a little far fetched to me.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, it's pretty mediocre in both ideas and execution. Take the big end battle, there was very little done with the premise, it came across as just plain boring rather than a clever intricate plot with a woven end battle.

It's also very, very obvious all the way through.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, it's pretty mediocre in both ideas and execution. Take the big end battle, there was very little done with the premise, it came across as just plain boring rather than a clever intricate plot with a woven end battle.

It's also very, very obvious all the way through.
It wasn't even a fight, it was just loads of people running. :lol:

Weird set piece.

Redlambs

It wasn't even a fight, it was just loads of people running. :lol:

Weird set piece.
Yeah, in the planning stage it seemed like something really cool and intricate would be done with the plan. Instead we get a car, which was stupidly obvious why that suddenly appeared, and lots of running with only one real crossover with the rpgs. And even that was entirely pointless a scene, it didn't even look that cool :lol:

Why didn't they at least have a fight scene with both of them (one inverted) fecking up the same guy at exactly the same time? I thought for sure that's what they'd do to end that bodyguard who seemed a proper end boss.

Instead he went with the incredibly obvious ending for our new Batman that involved barely anything to do with the main feature :rolleyes:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, in the planning stage it seemed like something really cool and intricate would be done with the plan. Instead we get a car, which was stupidly obvious why that suddenly appeared, and lots of running with only one real crossover with the rpgs. And even that was entirely pointless a scene, it didn't even look that cool :lol:

Why didn't they at least have a fight scene with both of them (one inverted) fecking up the same guy at exactly the same time? I thought for sure that's what they'd do to end that bodyguard who seemed a proper end boss.

Instead he went with the incredibly obvious ending for our new Batman that involved barely anything to do with the main feature :rolleyes:
Aye, it was a very strange ending sequence which just did not work in the slightest, felt totally flat.

As a concept very cool, but seems to me they didn't really know how to make it work in a fun way and ran out of ideas by the end of the film.

Redlambs

Aye, it was a very strange ending sequence which just did not work in the slightest, felt totally flat.

As a concept very cool, but seems to me they didn't really know how to make it work in a fun way and ran out of ideas by the end of the film.
That's because although the concept was cool, they severely hamstrung themself with the age old
OMG YOU CAN'T MEET YOURSELF!!!!!
trope.

Nolan, unlike Inception for example, had an idea with no actual plan on how to use it. Nearly all the set pieces fall completely flat if you work out what it happening from the very early scenes, as none of it is a surprise.

In fact the only surprise is that people actually thought this one was clever! And that's not me trying to be all high and mighty, it's more that it just legitimately seems so easily to see how the concept could have been done with way more substance and rather weirdly for Nolan, much more style too.

arthurka

Felt nothing for any of the characters, story was a mess and horrid.

You what to watch something that will bend your mind watch Memento
Agree.. not good but thought the camera work and editing was exceptional. Pretentious and uninteresting. Memento that was a great piece of work.

Bole Top

just meh. no characters and was rather boring actually, boring enough I started reading Van De Beek's performance thread after about 40 minutes. you understand something big and important is happening but you just can't feel it, neither you care about any of the faces you see on the screen. I can't enjoy the movie without that so I gave up after about an hour.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Finally got around to seeing it last night. Certainly a film that requires a second viewing at least.

Maybe it was my mood but I found it a little fatiguing, liked I'd just gone 12 rounds with the plot and ultimately lost to a tight points decision. It's a little too ambitious as it stands. I think this is one that might have benefitted from an extra 20 minutes just to slow things down a tad and let people digest what they'd just seen, and flesh out some of the characters, but it never seemed to let up for a moment. I'm sure that was by design though, as parts of the plot required things to happen in a way that probably don't stand up to the mechanics of the idea when you have time to think about it.

I do love Nolan though. I love any director that is trying something different, and he undoubtedly does that. I don't think this will go down as his best, or even top 3 for me but as with all of his movies there will be people out there that absolutely adore this, and some will hate it. That's okay.

(Sidenote - I've never particularly cared for Pattinson but he was great - he'd make a marvellous Bond)