Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Starting new thread for 2017 and posting Mrs. Smoker's last post from 2016 thread for continuation.

Federer is back in action after a long time. Currently serving for the first set in Hopman Cup's first round match against brit Daniel Evans. That could've been Sir Andrew Barron Murray, OBE, but he was excused as he's fighting Snow Giants in faraway Norway.

What are predictions of tennis fans here on how 2017 will go? Will Djoker return to his best? Will Sir Andy finally win Australian open? Will we see a surprise slam winner or a young prospect rising to get in top 10?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
All set for the next dominant star to break through, but we've been saying that for years. You'd think Murray and Djokovic are both past their best now, perhaps Thiem, Pouille or Kyrgios will raise their level and contend seriously for a slam or two. Also Zverev is definitely a massive talent.

Giggsy92

Hard to imagine the overall quality could be lower than last year but we'll probably see the slams shared between Djokovic and Murray unless Nadal is fit and in form for the French or Stanimal makes an appearance. Federer looked better today than he did at any point after the Australian Open last year, early days of course but hopefully he's got a few good tournaments left in him yet.

The Man Himself

I am hoping Zverev makes it big. Great talent and it has been some time since a promising talent has really fulfilled potential.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Djokovic to win at least two GS this year and join Rafa and Sampras in second place. Murray probably to win a couple as well. Would love for Nadal and Del Potro to get stronger this year. Don't think Fedrer will get into another slam final this year.

saivet

Main draw for the Australian Open at midnight (UK time). Probably won't be able to catch much of the tournament due to time difference, but hoping Rafa gets a half decent draw and get to the 2nd week.

The Man Himself

A potential 3rd round of Nadal-Zverev. Wawrinka in Murray's half. Federer will face qualifiers in round 1 and 2 with potential 4th round against Nishikori and if wins, QF with Murray.

saivet

I think Zverev will beat Nadal should they meet in round 3. I think he also has a decent chance of making the QFs, hell maybe even the semis. Will be a big ask for him, but a talented player.

Also Berdych as a potential round 3 player for Federer, though think Federer should be able to do him. Can't see him getting past Murray in the QFs.

I guess from Novak's side he's got Verdasco in round 1 a player where he had to save 5 match points against him in Doha a couple weeks ago. Also Verdasco beat Nadal in that 5 set match in round 1 in Australia last year. Dimitrov hit good form in Brisbane and is in Novak's section for round 3.

Kyrgios - Stan as a potential in round 4 could also be good.

ChrisNelson

Special mention for Johanna Konta who's beaten Agnieszka Radwanska in the final of the Sydney International. World number 10 now and going in to the Aussie Open full of confidence.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
That baseline half volley backhand down the line winner from Federer gave me a "In Search of Lost Time" like flash back to 2006 :drool:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Karlovic - Zeballos now stands at 19:19 in the fifth. Only exactly 100 games to go to match the legendary Misner-Mahut-Set.
Karlovic has hit 71 aces so far.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Kyrgios and Cilic out. Great day.

As things stand, GB has 3 players in the top 50.

saivet

Just seen that Kyrgios and Cillic are out. Very surprised at those results. Murray's half of the draw just keeps getting better for him

Red Diva

What channel is Murray's match on please? All the ones I try seem to be showing the Tomic match.

The Man Himself

Just seen that Kyrgios and Cillic are out. Very surprised at those results. Murray's half of the draw just keeps getting better for him
Both of those results doesn't mean anything to him. Among Stan, Cilic, Kyrgios he could meet only 1 and that too in semis. Cilic and Kyrgios going out has helped Stan actually. Kyrgios would have been his fourth round opponent and Cilic QF opponent. Murray will have to play Kei or Federer or Berdych in Quarters and that remains ontrack.

saivet

Both of those results doesn't mean anything to him. Among Stan, Cilic, Kyrgios he could meet only 1 and that too in semis. Cilic and Kyrgios going out has helped Stan actually. Kyrgios would have been his fourth round opponent and Cilic QF opponent. Murray will have to play Kei or Federer or Berdych in Quarters and that remains ontrack.
There's no guarantee that Stan will make it all the way through and if that's the case, then no Kyrgios or Cillic either in the semis.

Stan has powered through tough draws, so don't think who he plays to make the SF makes a massive difference for him.

Pouille also went out who he was due to play in R4. Would have beat him anyway but now will be a lesser player to play.

Also not really sure I see those guys challenging Murray in the QFs really.

The Man Himself

There's no guarantee that Stan will make it all the way through and if that's the case, then no Kyrgios or Cillic either in the semis.

Stan has powered through tough draws, so don't think who he plays to make the SF makes a massive difference for him.

Pouille also went out who he was due to play in R4. Would have beat him anyway but now will be a lesser player to play.

Also not really sure I see those guys challenging Murray in the QFs really.
Point is, in any case out of those 3-4 names, Murray is only going to face 1. So unless none of them make through till SF then only it is good for him. For me, a draw for a top player gets easy only when a seeded player who is scheduled to meet him as per seeding in respective rounds, is no longer going to.

saivet

Point is, in any case out of those 3-4 names, Murray is only going to face 1. So unless none of them make through till SF then only it is good for him. For me, a draw for a top player gets easy only when a seeded player who is scheduled to meet him as per seeding in respective rounds, is no longer going to.
Agreed it doesn't get easier per se, just the potential for it to get easier (should Stan go out, as with him you never know) is even greater, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I'm finding it hard to see Murray not making the final, even if the draw does hold out.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Kyrgios presser went like this
  • Does not have a coach (admits he needs one)
  • Has mental things that stops him
  • Spent all preseason playing basketball
  • Says he was lazy
  • Things John McEnroe is a cnut

bleezy

Brilliant from Evans. Didn't see the match as I was watching the Kyrgios rollercoaster, but he's in such great form at the moment. I'm finding it hard to look past Murray for the final, I haven't seen any of Djokovic this year to know how strong he's looking yet.

Kyrgios is a ridiculous player. Can go from the sublime to the infuriating tanking in a matter of minutes, and then was back looking like he would win it at the end too. Hitting the shot between his legs in the middle of a rally in the 5th was hilarious. I just can't see anyone ever being able to sort his mentality out and get him performing to the level his talent should be at.

Giggsy92

Hope Murray finally wins it but I just don't see him beating Nishikori, Stan and Djokovic back to back. Think he'll need someone to take out Nishikori since Djokovic's draw should be a cakewalk for him, and it'd be a surprise if Stan didn't make the semis. Apart from losing pretty early to an in-form Raonic last year he's been consistently good here since 2012, and no Cilic and Kyrgios left in his quarter now.

saivet

Hope Murray finally wins it but I just don't see him beating Nishikori, Stan and Djokovic back to back. Think he'll need someone to take out Nishikori since Djokovic's draw should be a cakewalk for him, and it'd be a surprise if Stan didn't make the semis. Apart from losing pretty early to an in-form Raonic last year he's been consistently good here since 2012, and no Cilic and Kyrgios left in his quarter now.
Nishikori has to play Federer (or Berdych) in round 4. He's the type of guy capable or putting in one good performance against good players, but 2 on the bounce? Don't think he has it in him and would get beaten comfortably.

Giggsy92

Nishikori has to play Federer (or Berdych) in round 4. He's the type of guy capable or putting in one good performance against good players, but 2 on the bounce? Don't think he has it in him and would get beaten comfortably.
I doubt he'll be playing Federer sadly. And Berdych isn't exactly great these days... There's not much to suggest he'd get beaten comfortably, considering three of their last four meetings have been marathons. Not saying Nishikori would win but he's certainly capable of it. And he's more than capable of tiring Andy out before he even gets to the semis.

saivet

I doubt he'll be playing Federer sadly. And Berdych isn't exactly great these days... There's not much to suggest he'd get beaten comfortably, considering three of their last four meetings have been marathons. Not saying Nishikori would win but he's certainly capable of it. And he's more than capable of tiring Andy out before he even gets to the semis.
Certainly capable but he seems pretty weak mentally and physically so if one of them gives him a tough match (already went 5 sets in round 1) then I don't see him challenging in the QFs. Think he was also rumoured to be suffering with an injury pre tournament too.

saivet

The Novak - Istomin match sounds great.

Set 1: Istomin win the tie break
Set 2: Istomin has 2 set points at 15-40 up at 5-4 but ends up losing the set 7-5
Set 3: Comfortable for Djokovic
Set 4: Istomin serving at 4-2 and 40-15 up but gets broken. Istomin then has a set point at 5-4 on Novak's serve but Novak saves it. Now into a tiebreak

The Man Himself

Not able to watch but seems a cracker. A friend who is/was watching (at least up to 3rd set) told that Djokovic isn't playing bad. Istomin is playing quite good.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Huge for Murray.

Did anyone watch it? Was Novak off his game or did Istomin play the game of his life?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I was there and it looked like Novak was off his game.

At times he was great but he just felt off.

Istomin also played very well too
Lucky you!

Ah fair enough, I was reading the live text towards the end and I was surprised Novak didn't put him under more pressure in that last set. He's usually so good at not being beaten even when down in those 5 setters.

saivet

Huge for Murray.

Did anyone watch it? Was Novak off his game or did Istomin play the game of his life?
I watched chunks of it (from the 3rd set). Seemed like Istomin played the match of his life. Novak looked off his game, but didn't think he was dreadful.

Status
Not open for further replies.